Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills 12:21 - Feb 12 with 4402 viewsOxford_Blue

that he feels they are in a bit of a comfort zone and Lambert’s attempts to protect them have backfired a little.

It was worrying to hear Downes interviewed last night when he said the players didn’t feel under pressure and “have nothing to lose”.

Appreciate he’s a young lad and not that articulate (as per most footballers) but surely the right thing to have said would have been “look it’s not good enough, we all know that, we are Ipswich town and we shouldn’t even be in this league so we we need to get up as soon as possible”.

Just found it odd that he would admit there isn’t pressure and nothing to lose. Too casual for me and it was reflected in the team’s performance.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 12:22]
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:22 - Feb 12 with 3665 viewsMrTown

Many have been saying this for a while.

Too comfortable collecting a cheque but as soon as someone says a nasty word their toys go out the pram. Hurst was right to wave the money in the players faces, its all they're bothered about.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:24 - Feb 12 with 3644 viewsfooters

That's being extremely selective from what Downes actually said.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:24 - Feb 12 with 3645 viewsSteve_M

That isn't reflected in the reluctance to take risks and the increasingly obvious fear of making mistakes.

Reading too much into post-match interviews is a fools game as should be obvious to all by now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:26 - Feb 12 with 3619 viewsPecker

Think that could be said of many of the modern footballers. We need a team fighting for their shirts and we just don't have that. The likes of Skuse and Chambers are to comfortable.
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:27 - Feb 12 with 3602 viewsOxford_Blue

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:24 - Feb 12 by footers

That's being extremely selective from what Downes actually said.

Yes obviously it’s selective. I’m not going to type the entire interview.

He made these points - and so it’s not unreasonable to refer to them.

He also said “things just aren’t going our way” a lot. Which is obvious.

My point is that it’s strange to see the lack of urgency and concern. It’s almost like there is some acceptance of the position.
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:30 - Feb 12 with 3558 viewsOxford_Blue

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:24 - Feb 12 by Steve_M

That isn't reflected in the reluctance to take risks and the increasingly obvious fear of making mistakes.

Reading too much into post-match interviews is a fools game as should be obvious to all by now.

Surely it is reflected.

They are happy to settle for draws and are not under pressure to go for it.

I was expecting blood and guts last night and for them to play out of their skins given where there are. But it was lethargic and pedestrian. Like at Rotherham and Peterborough.
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:32 - Feb 12 with 3542 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

But they are young and there are too many games.

LOL

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:37 - Feb 12 with 3506 viewsHerbivore

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:30 - Feb 12 by Oxford_Blue

Surely it is reflected.

They are happy to settle for draws and are not under pressure to go for it.

I was expecting blood and guts last night and for them to play out of their skins given where there are. But it was lethargic and pedestrian. Like at Rotherham and Peterborough.

He said in the same interview that we should be winning those kind of games?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills i s on 12:38 - Feb 12 with 3498 viewsCoco

I said last night that there is a lack of accountability throughout the whole club.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 13:34 - Feb 12 with 3329 viewsOxford_Blue

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 12:37 - Feb 12 by Herbivore

He said in the same interview that we should be winning those kind of games?

Yes - and in a different one as well.

But he also said that there is no pressure and nothing to lose.

The inference we should be winning these games but we didn’t and it’s ok as the players don’t feel under pressure and have nothing to lose anyway.
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 13:40 - Feb 12 with 3294 viewsCoastalblue

We lack that personality on the pitch that will take people by the scruff of their neck and shake them up. A Butcher or a Magic, someone who truly hates losing and will try whatever they can to avoid it.

I thought Norwood might have been a bit more like that, but as in most areas he's flattered to deceive.

We are, and have been for a long time, crying out for someone who can be a bit nasty and has an overhelmig desire to win. Someone who won't accept second rate from his team mates.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 14:13 - Feb 12 with 3228 viewsChrisd

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 13:40 - Feb 12 by Coastalblue

We lack that personality on the pitch that will take people by the scruff of their neck and shake them up. A Butcher or a Magic, someone who truly hates losing and will try whatever they can to avoid it.

I thought Norwood might have been a bit more like that, but as in most areas he's flattered to deceive.

We are, and have been for a long time, crying out for someone who can be a bit nasty and has an overhelmig desire to win. Someone who won't accept second rate from his team mates.

Spot on!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 14:43 - Feb 12 with 3151 viewsHerbivore

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 13:34 - Feb 12 by Oxford_Blue

Yes - and in a different one as well.

But he also said that there is no pressure and nothing to lose.

The inference we should be winning these games but we didn’t and it’s ok as the players don’t feel under pressure and have nothing to lose anyway.

Think you're reading too much into it, mate.

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:15 - Feb 12 with 3063 viewstextbackup

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 13:40 - Feb 12 by Coastalblue

Captain fist pump not got enough drive and courage for you? No me neither

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:19 - Feb 12 with 3047 viewsSamWhiteUK

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:15 - Feb 12 by textbackup

Captain fist pump not got enough drive and courage for you? No me neither

I feel like he's dropped off a bit in this respect. Maybe he'd be better moving on to coaching now, so he can focus on that side of things, getting people motivated while not feeling pressure to perform himself. However, in my eyes, he's better on the pitch than Wilson.
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:23 - Feb 12 with 3028 viewsNo9

Chambers was a bit like that at one time but he seems to have been worn down

Young players need a role model
That is missing too

There is something missing at PR & has been for a long while now
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:25 - Feb 12 with 3013 viewstextbackup

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:19 - Feb 12 by SamWhiteUK

I feel like he's dropped off a bit in this respect. Maybe he'd be better moving on to coaching now, so he can focus on that side of things, getting people motivated while not feeling pressure to perform himself. However, in my eyes, he's better on the pitch than Wilson.

He’s been a vital part of the squad at motivating them for 5/6 years, in such times we’ve failed massively in every big game, TV game, cup game... I really don’t want him to have anything to do with it anymore.
Such a shame Downes will be off for a few quid as I’d love to see him, a proper leader on the pitch take our armband. Maturity beyond his years on the pitch and the only one trying to drag the rest through

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:26 - Feb 12 with 3004 viewsHerbivore

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:25 - Feb 12 by textbackup

He’s been a vital part of the squad at motivating them for 5/6 years, in such times we’ve failed massively in every big game, TV game, cup game... I really don’t want him to have anything to do with it anymore.
Such a shame Downes will be off for a few quid as I’d love to see him, a proper leader on the pitch take our armband. Maturity beyond his years on the pitch and the only one trying to drag the rest through

We've always failed in big games to be fair. Look at our record in play offs and semi finals over the years.

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:30 - Feb 12 with 2990 viewsPJH

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:26 - Feb 12 by Herbivore

We've always failed in big games to be fair. Look at our record in play offs and semi finals over the years.

Make that 'usually' not 'always'.

In fact you could make it 'almost always' but...
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:36 - Feb 12 with 2953 viewstextbackup

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:26 - Feb 12 by Herbivore

Ah cool ok maybe we should just be ok with it then.

Maybe go watch the Bolton first leg highlights on youtube, after Stewart gets his first, you look at the nod holland gives the bench. Pure goosebumps for me

[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 15:39]

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:37 - Feb 12 with 2955 viewsHerbivore

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:30 - Feb 12 by PJH

Make that 'usually' not 'always'.

In fact you could make it 'almost always' but...

True, there are a handful of exceptions (and glorious ones at that) but on the whole we've rarely been ones for the big occasion, unless ironically it's an actual final.

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:55 - Feb 12 with 2910 viewsOxford_Blue

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 14:43 - Feb 12 by Herbivore

Think you're reading too much into it, mate.

He said:

“ I don’t think the boys are feeling any pressure at the minute. We’ve dropped out of the top six, there’s not any pressure on us now, we’re playing with freedom, that’s how we should be playing. We’ve got nothing to lose now.”
Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:59 - Feb 12 with 2894 viewsfooters

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:55 - Feb 12 by Oxford_Blue

He said:

“ I don’t think the boys are feeling any pressure at the minute. We’ve dropped out of the top six, there’s not any pressure on us now, we’re playing with freedom, that’s how we should be playing. We’ve got nothing to lose now.”

Which was an answer to a question about whether the pressure was getting to the players. You're honestly making a mountain out of a molehill here, especially given the rest of his interview.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 16:09 - Feb 12 with 2851 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:36 - Feb 12 by textbackup

Ah cool ok maybe we should just be ok with it then.

Maybe go watch the Bolton first leg highlights on youtube, after Stewart gets his first, you look at the nod holland gives the bench. Pure goosebumps for me

[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 15:39]

By your logic though we may aswell have binned Holland off by then

Agree with the poster above re Chambers having seemed to have lost some drive though

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 16:21 - Feb 12 with 2789 viewsHerbivore

Are the players under enough pressure? Interesting comments from Mick Mills on 15:55 - Feb 12 by Oxford_Blue

He said:

From which you somehow extrapolated that they are happy to draw games despite Downes saying the exact opposite of that in the same interview. #fakelawyer

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024