Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The government's immigration policy 06:33 - Feb 19 with 11456 viewsgerryitfc

Controversial for many yet acceptable for others. The one thing which stands out for me and imho is correct is the new benefits rule. I can't see why anyone would be hostile to this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51550421
The government's immigration policy on 21:13 - Feb 19 with 1353 viewsMugwump

The government's immigration policy on 21:10 - Feb 19 by footers

It's entirely discriminatory, that's the point of it.

Is it? I look at it as there is no divine right for EU citizens but now is a level playing field worldwide.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 21:24]
The government's immigration policy on 21:29 - Feb 19 with 1338 viewsHARRY10

The government's immigration policy on 21:13 - Feb 19 by Mugwump

Is it? I look at it as there is no divine right for EU citizens but now is a level playing field worldwide.

but does nothing to address the numbers entering the UK

nor does it address those without work who should not be here - thanks to the Tories austerity the UK has no idea who is here and who has left

allowing more non EU migrants will ensure that there is a higher percentage who will see it beneficial to simply 'disappear' once here

a totallu clueless proposal based on a need to be seen to be placating brexiteers rather than addressing any problem
The government's immigration policy on 21:48 - Feb 19 with 1328 viewsBlueForYou

Should have had this 25 years ago!
The government's immigration policy on 22:25 - Feb 19 with 1313 viewsChurchman

The government's immigration policy on 21:29 - Feb 19 by HARRY10

nor does it address those without work who should not be here - thanks to the Tories austerity the UK has no idea who is here and who has left

allowing more non EU migrants will ensure that there is a higher percentage who will see it beneficial to simply 'disappear' once here

a totallu clueless proposal based on a need to be seen to be placating brexiteers rather than addressing any problem

Wasn’t it Blair that threw the doors open in the 90s in an attempt to change the demographics to ensure a permanent Labour government?

More importantly, why is this proposal clueless when Australia and Canada are operating it? Why is it good for them and bad for us? What evidence do you have that it’s bad for them? I’d be interested to know

Lastly, you keep using the term ‘brexiteers’. There is no such thing. It’s done. Let it go. And that is from somebody that voted remain but has now democratically accepted the result.
The government's immigration policy on 22:27 - Feb 19 with 1310 viewseireblue

The government's immigration policy on 21:13 - Feb 19 by Mugwump

It wasn’t a divine right.

UK citizens enjoyed free movement of labour as well.
The government's immigration policy on 22:45 - Feb 19 with 1302 viewsMugwump

The government's immigration policy on 21:29 - Feb 19 by HARRY10

“Addressing any problem”.

What problem?

And what’s wrong with numbers as long as there is room.

Why shouldn’t an African have as much right to live and work here as a German?
The government's immigration policy on 22:56 - Feb 19 with 1293 viewseireblue

The government's immigration policy on 22:45 - Feb 19 by Mugwump

What problem?

If as part of a free trade zone, and the respective governments agreed, then, yes why not have free movement of Labour between the UK and a country in Africa.

Some trade negotiations do include easier travel and visa requirements.

For instance India would like easier access for its citizens into the UK, in exchange for free trade agreement.

Would that be okay with you?

It may of course be discriminatory in some peoples view.
The government's immigration policy on 23:04 - Feb 19 with 1281 viewsMugwump

The government's immigration policy on 22:56 - Feb 19 by eireblue

If as part of a free trade zone, and the respective governments agreed, then, yes why not have free movement of Labour between the UK and a country in Africa.

Some trade negotiations do include easier travel and visa requirements.

For instance India would like easier access for its citizens into the UK, in exchange for free trade agreement.

Would that be okay with you?

It may of course be discriminatory in some peoples view.

Genuinely don’t know what you are trying to prove here.

Just to make it clear. I see no reason why anyone should have an automatic right to live here over others due to geographical reasons.

If UK does a deal with Outer Mongolia for a trade swap then so be it.

Aside from that as far as I am concerned everyone is equal.
Login to get fewer ads

The government's immigration policy on 03:42 - Feb 20 with 1218 viewsHARRY10

The government's immigration policy on 22:45 - Feb 19 by Mugwump

What problem?

I tyhink we are at cross purposes here

My comment was to highlight the flaws in the original and still held claims about immigration

and the rather absurd proposals put out by Priti Vcant

and to take it further if there is migration from non EU contries then it must mean NOT ENOUGH EU migrants are coming to the UK

so it is merely a case of shooting down the stupidity that underpins the brexiteer case on this matter
WATCH THIS >>>>>>>>> on 10:40 - Feb 20 with 1147 viewsunstableblue

The Brexit wheels are truly falling off on this new immigration policy on 08:44 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

Project Fear coming to fruition, because it was evidence and expert based. Whereas Leave was an emotive sound bite.

First key point - this morning I listened to a leader of the Care Industry who has been advising government. Very critical of the immigration plan - there are 125,000 open positions in care. Only 'unskilled' (there is nothing unskilled about social care) and low paid European workers are propping up the system.

The service sector also needs this European workforce - hotels/restaurants, the lucrative UK tourist market needs this flexing pool of labour.

The laughable concept that there is a ready made UK workforce is a fallacy. So we will end up reducing these measures - measures which in some cases will increase South Asian immigration and take jobs UK people actually want.

Then there are of course the regulations that oiled a friction less trade zone and were not the demonised Brussels control sold to us by Farage and the tabloids.

I do see an outcome where we are outside looking in to Europe, not influencing, aligned with EU specifications, with a poor immigration situation, having spent billions on building bureaucracy back into UK government, economically weaker, and with a Union in turmoil.

Stronger borders and 'taking back control' were sound bites I'm afraid. One things is for sure Brexit is only just beginning people.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 8:49]

I am growing very concerned on the competence of this government, these policies lack proper analysis and are sound but driven:

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The government's immigration policy on 11:12 - Feb 20 with 1135 viewsLord_Lucan

The government's immigration policy on 03:42 - Feb 20 by HARRY10

I tyhink we are at cross purposes here

My comment was to highlight the flaws in the original and still held claims about immigration

and the rather absurd proposals put out by Priti Vcant

and to take it further if there is migration from non EU contries then it must mean NOT ENOUGH EU migrants are coming to the UK

so it is merely a case of shooting down the stupidity that underpins the brexiteer case on this matter

If I had voted Brexit (which I considered) immigration would have not been a point that I would have had to think about. Personally I am all for freedom of movement, if I could have got rid of the megalomaniac EU parliament and kept freedom of movement then I would have Brexited.

However; There is one thing that all the childish gammon throwers should know, Brexit wasn't about stopping immigration, it was about having the power to decide who can come in to the country. You know, a crazy self governing sort of thing.

Why should all the migrants come from EU? That surely is a daft racist way of thinking no?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The government's immigration policy on 11:22 - Feb 20 with 1124 viewsHerbivore

The government's immigration policy on 11:12 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

If I had voted Brexit (which I considered) immigration would have not been a point that I would have had to think about. Personally I am all for freedom of movement, if I could have got rid of the megalomaniac EU parliament and kept freedom of movement then I would have Brexited.

However; There is one thing that all the childish gammon throwers should know, Brexit wasn't about stopping immigration, it was about having the power to decide who can come in to the country. You know, a crazy self governing sort of thing.

Why should all the migrants come from EU? That surely is a daft racist way of thinking no?

They don't. Net migration from outside the EU is higher than from within the EU.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The government's immigration policy on 11:27 - Feb 20 with 1121 viewsfooters

The government's immigration policy on 11:12 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

We could have had controlled migration while being in the EU but successive governments chose not to impose those rules.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The government's immigration policy on 11:33 - Feb 20 with 1114 viewsLord_Lucan

The government's immigration policy on 11:22 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

They don't. Net migration from outside the EU is higher than from within the EU.

In my view that is an irrelevant statistic. As a global man of the people I want everyone in the world to have the same opportunity to enter, live and work in UK but that hasn't been the case.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

The government's immigration policy on 11:34 - Feb 20 with 1110 viewsLord_Lucan

The government's immigration policy on 11:27 - Feb 20 by footers

We could have had controlled migration while being in the EU but successive governments chose not to impose those rules.

You are saying we could have stopped freedom of movement of EU citizens?

The government's immigration policy on 11:38 - Feb 20 with 1104 viewsnoggin

The government's immigration policy on 11:34 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

You are saying we could have stopped freedom of movement of EU citizens?

Couldn't stop them coming but if they weren't able to support themselves after 3 months, they could be returned home. The government didn't bother.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The government's immigration policy on 11:39 - Feb 20 with 1099 viewsHerbivore

The government's immigration policy on 11:33 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

In my view that is an irrelevant statistic. As a global man of the people I want everyone in the world to have the same opportunity to enter, live and work in UK but that hasn't been the case.

I don't disagree, but what you're proposing is to allow freedom of movement from everywhere and not just the EU. We could have had that whilst in the EU. We are now going in the opposite direction of that.

The government's immigration policy on 11:48 - Feb 20 with 1084 viewsLord_Lucan

The government's immigration policy on 11:39 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

I don't disagree, but what you're proposing is to allow freedom of movement from everywhere and not just the EU. We could have had that whilst in the EU. We are now going in the opposite direction of that.

I'm not proposing freedom of movement from all around the world at all. Whilst I enjoyed freedom of movement within the EU I accept that it isn't without its problems, what I would propose is an application system globally but more relaxed than the one being talked about now. I would also say there could be freedom of movement arrangements made with countries of our choice - although this would fall down with EU states as EU members are controlled by the machine.

All of the above would be subject to criminal vetting.

The government's immigration policy on 11:49 - Feb 20 with 1080 viewsLord_Lucan

The government's immigration policy on 11:38 - Feb 20 by noggin

Couldn't stop them coming but if they weren't able to support themselves after 3 months, they could be returned home. The government didn't bother.

I would say that that is pretty much impossible to implement

The government's immigration policy on 12:21 - Feb 20 with 1057 viewsnoggin

The government's immigration policy on 11:49 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

Seems to be possible with Jamaican nationals.

The government's immigration policy on 12:40 - Feb 20 with 1034 viewseireblue

The government's immigration policy on 23:04 - Feb 19 by Mugwump

Genuinely don’t know what you are trying to prove here.

Just to make it clear. I see no reason why anyone should have an automatic right to live here over others due to geographical reasons.

If UK does a deal with Outer Mongolia for a trade swap then so be it.

Aside from that as far as I am concerned everyone is equal.

There was no divine right for EU citizens.

It was an agreement between countries that it would be beneficial.

It is a common part of some trade deals.

You could equal well make emotive comments about people from other countries that have special rights, that are simply part of trade arrangements.

It demonstrates that some people make emotive not rational decisions.

I very much doubt people will be using emotive language about the access rights of Indian citizens vs Canadian citizens should trade agreements provided different levels of access. Nor will they be saying silly things like, 100 M people from the subcontinent could move to the UK now.
The government's immigration policy on 13:08 - Feb 20 with 1018 viewsHerbivore

The government's immigration policy on 11:49 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

Other EU countries manage it.

The government's immigration policy on 13:12 - Feb 20 with 1017 viewsNo9

Low pay & low skills are not the same thing.
This is a typical over-simplification of a complex issue
Perhaps you need to read a whole raft of things this mob is doing to allow you to begin to understand 'Concerns"?
The government's immigration policy on 13:23 - Feb 20 with 1009 viewsnoggin

The government's immigration policy on 12:21 - Feb 20 by noggin

Seems to be possible with Jamaican nationals.

Why the down vote tractorboyjames?

The government's immigration policy on 13:25 - Feb 20 with 1003 viewsLord_Lucan

The government's immigration policy on 13:08 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

Other EU countries manage it.

I would be interested to see the facts and figures.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024