Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The government's immigration policy 06:33 - Feb 19 with 11452 viewsgerryitfc

Controversial for many yet acceptable for others. The one thing which stands out for me and imho is correct is the new benefits rule. I can't see why anyone would be hostile to this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51550421
The government's immigration policy on 09:28 - Feb 19 with 3370 viewsGuthrum

The government's immigration policy on 09:11 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

That’s a fair point but it still makes me feel uncomfortable that cheap foreign labour creates an underclass.

In an ideal world all employment would be valued and paid at a far higher rate.

In reality, that is how we should have treated automation (which avoids the "underclass" issue altogether), rather than as an excuse to increase profits.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The government's immigration policy on 09:29 - Feb 19 with 3369 viewsNewcyBlue

The government's immigration policy on 08:23 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

What sort of society do we live in where the indigenous population believes that itbis farvtoo superior to undertake certain jobs but foreigners aren’t?

There is a word for it surely?

Racist is a word.

One that could easily be attributed to the “let those lot do it” attitude.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

The government's immigration policy on 09:29 - Feb 19 with 3369 viewsPecker

Without the unskilled workers, this country come to a halt. Time for them to be appreciated more, which this policy will hopefully do.
The government's immigration policy on 09:39 - Feb 19 with 3358 viewsSwansea_Blue

The government's immigration policy on 08:23 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

What sort of society do we live in where the indigenous population believes that itbis farvtoo superior to undertake certain jobs but foreigners aren’t?

There is a word for it surely?

Probably the same sort of society who thinks people who have learnt a specific skill are far superior to those who haven’t.

This is populist nonsense pandering to the government’s core audience of little Englanders. It won’t really work in practice.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The government's immigration policy on 09:56 - Feb 19 with 3340 viewsHerbivore

The government's immigration policy on 09:25 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

I read it the other way, as targeting those mythical "benefit tourists".

This is the quote:

"Under the new plan, all migrants will only be entitled to access income-related benefits until after indefinite leave to remain is granted, usually after five years.

Currently, EU nationals in the UK can claim benefits if they are "economically active"."

It's not massively clear but what I think they're saying is that in work benefits will stop after 5 years and no longer continue indefinitely. If this applies to EU nationals already working here then we'll see a lot of low wage workers leaving I expect.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The government's immigration policy on 12:34 - Feb 19 with 3279 viewsEireannach_gorm

The government's immigration policy on 08:17 - Feb 19 by lowhouseblue

can't see that it will work like this in practice. exemptions will emerge as they always do because they have to - and the government will pretend they haven't.

Obvious exemption is the Republic of Ireland.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_mo
The government's immigration policy on 12:59 - Feb 19 with 3256 viewsBlueNomad

Ironic that the Home Secretary’s parents would not have been allowed to remain in this country under her criteria.
The government's immigration policy on 13:06 - Feb 19 with 3244 viewsBlueBadger

The government's immigration policy on 07:50 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

There will probably be exempt sectors. Care home I know well is already actively recruiting from outside the EU.

Brussel sprouts might be a problem though.

Edit; Good news for sprout lovers - points offered for "working in a sector with shortages"
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 7:58]

I'm sure all the people who voted 'leave' will be pleased to see lots of white, christian foreigners leave to be replaced by lots of non-white, non-christian ones and offer them the warmest of welcome.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

The government's immigration policy on 13:11 - Feb 19 with 3235 viewsBlueBadger

The government's immigration policy on 07:37 - Feb 19 by Churchman

Having seen the care system up close when my mum was ill/in Asterbury care home for 2 or 3 years, I would describe the people that work within it anything but ‘low skilled’. The work they did (and of course still do) was truly amazing. I couldn’t have done it. They deserve far more support and recognition, including better pay.

As for the principle of the Immigration policy, which is based on the Australian one, I have no problem with it. It’s all about how it’s implemented.

We have a government that thinks 'low paid=low skilled'. Which is astonishing really when you think how well paid the cabinet are in relation to their general level of ability.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The government's immigration policy on 13:13 - Feb 19 with 3228 viewsGuthrum

The government's immigration policy on 09:56 - Feb 19 by Herbivore

This is the quote:

"Under the new plan, all migrants will only be entitled to access income-related benefits until after indefinite leave to remain is granted, usually after five years.

Currently, EU nationals in the UK can claim benefits if they are "economically active"."

It's not massively clear but what I think they're saying is that in work benefits will stop after 5 years and no longer continue indefinitely. If this applies to EU nationals already working here then we'll see a lot of low wage workers leaving I expect.

I read it as they will be able to access that benefit only (not unemployment, sickness or any other) until indefinite leave is granted, but all of them thereafter.

Basically means if a low-paid immigrant loses their job, even temporarily, they will have no form of safety net.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The government's immigration policy on 13:15 - Feb 19 with 3223 viewsHerbivore

The government's immigration policy on 13:13 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

I read it as they will be able to access that benefit only (not unemployment, sickness or any other) until indefinite leave is granted, but all of them thereafter.

Basically means if a low-paid immigrant loses their job, even temporarily, they will have no form of safety net.

There are already restrictions on out of work benefits for EU migrants so not sure. As I say, I don't think they've expressed it esepcially clearly in that article.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The government's immigration policy on 13:18 - Feb 19 with 3209 viewshype313

The government's immigration policy on 07:37 - Feb 19 by Churchman

Having seen the care system up close when my mum was ill/in Asterbury care home for 2 or 3 years, I would describe the people that work within it anything but ‘low skilled’. The work they did (and of course still do) was truly amazing. I couldn’t have done it. They deserve far more support and recognition, including better pay.

As for the principle of the Immigration policy, which is based on the Australian one, I have no problem with it. It’s all about how it’s implemented.

Indeed, two of the worlds most Liberal countries Canada and Australia implement the exact same principle.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The government's immigration policy on 13:21 - Feb 19 with 3202 viewsBlueBadger

The government's immigration policy on 12:59 - Feb 19 by BlueNomad

Ironic that the Home Secretary’s parents would not have been allowed to remain in this country under her criteria.

They probably wouldn't have even been allowed to enter, given that she's blocked child refugees entering the country in the last year.

The government's immigration policy on 13:31 - Feb 19 with 3190 viewsJ2BLUE

The government's immigration policy on 09:29 - Feb 19 by NewcyBlue

Racist is a word.

One that could easily be attributed to the “let those lot do it” attitude.

Completely disagree. Joe explains the situation perfectly. I am not above working in care or anything else but i'm not doing it for minimum wage. As Joe said, they come over here and take those jobs because the money they send home goes a long way.

It's nothing to do with thinking we are above anyone else.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The government's immigration policy on 15:03 - Feb 19 with 3143 viewsflimflam

The government's immigration policy on 06:55 - Feb 19 by Leaky

My partner works in care ,the number of courses she has to do would suggest it is not low skilled. So yes there pay rates need to increase.

The cost of care in this country is anything from 500 - 1100 per week.

Someone makes a fortune out of this industry and the government needs to do something about it as not enough is going back into the system for wages and training.

The following article makes interesting reading and highlights the problems in this industry,

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/care-home-operators-billions-pounds-profits-hedg

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

The government's immigration policy on 15:47 - Feb 19 with 3109 viewsClapham_Junction

The government's immigration policy on 13:18 - Feb 19 by hype313

Indeed, two of the worlds most Liberal countries Canada and Australia implement the exact same principle.

Australia's not really very liberal, unless you're comparing it with the US.
The government's immigration policy on 15:48 - Feb 19 with 3111 viewsSwansea_Blue

The government's immigration policy on 15:03 - Feb 19 by flimflam

The cost of care in this country is anything from 500 - 1100 per week.

Someone makes a fortune out of this industry and the government needs to do something about it as not enough is going back into the system for wages and training.

The following article makes interesting reading and highlights the problems in this industry,

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/care-home-operators-billions-pounds-profits-hedg

It’s extortionately expensive. And yes, you’ve highlighted a much bigger problem than the government’s continuing gaslighting against foreigners.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The government's immigration policy on 15:50 - Feb 19 with 3111 viewsWeWereZombies

The government's immigration policy on 08:34 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

I don't think it is about being superior, it is that the jobs don't allow you to live what we'd describe as a 'normal' life.

We have a Romanian guy working for us, when he first came over he was living with 2 friends in a caravan in a field - no heating, no electric, sending all money back home, etc. Now he's been with us a few years and feels secure in his job he has a place here, has moved his family over etc.

But he's lucky* that he's found an employer who treats him as a normal 'British' worker, pays him a decent wage, gives him holidays, employs him as opposed to doing it through agency, works vehicle, etc. Most of his peers who are across here (he came across originally to do farm work with them) are still living in squalor, 8-10 to a house, families back home, presumably zero hours and seasonal work.

British people, or those with their roots here couldn't work in those conditions, probably taking home less than £40 a day as there is no point in doing so with the cost of living. For them, their rents are split 8 ways on a 3 bed house (about £800 in Ipswich), all their bills are too, and they will all cook and eat together saving that way. But that money sent home, that £100 a week spare will go a long way for their families.

I've looked at other properties with investors down by Coes in town, families paying £5-600 a month for a squalid 1 bed flat, kids sleeping in the lounge, the footprint of 25-30m2 for a family of 4-5.

These jobs aren't suddenly going to become well paid enough to live a normal life on (your own house, with a working partner, maybe kids), and so people just won't do them - there is no point. There are no progression routes from them.

*I don't mean that in a self aggrandising way

There are many things in common there with the stories from this BBC programme about Bangladeshis coming to Britain in the 1970s:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000f4xy/a-very-british-history-series-2-b

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The government's immigration policy on 17:45 - Feb 19 with 3053 viewsHARRY10

The government's immigration policy on 08:34 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

I don't think it is about being superior, it is that the jobs don't allow you to live what we'd describe as a 'normal' life.

We have a Romanian guy working for us, when he first came over he was living with 2 friends in a caravan in a field - no heating, no electric, sending all money back home, etc. Now he's been with us a few years and feels secure in his job he has a place here, has moved his family over etc.

But he's lucky* that he's found an employer who treats him as a normal 'British' worker, pays him a decent wage, gives him holidays, employs him as opposed to doing it through agency, works vehicle, etc. Most of his peers who are across here (he came across originally to do farm work with them) are still living in squalor, 8-10 to a house, families back home, presumably zero hours and seasonal work.

British people, or those with their roots here couldn't work in those conditions, probably taking home less than £40 a day as there is no point in doing so with the cost of living. For them, their rents are split 8 ways on a 3 bed house (about £800 in Ipswich), all their bills are too, and they will all cook and eat together saving that way. But that money sent home, that £100 a week spare will go a long way for their families.

I've looked at other properties with investors down by Coes in town, families paying £5-600 a month for a squalid 1 bed flat, kids sleeping in the lounge, the footprint of 25-30m2 for a family of 4-5.

These jobs aren't suddenly going to become well paid enough to live a normal life on (your own house, with a working partner, maybe kids), and so people just won't do them - there is no point. There are no progression routes from them.

*I don't mean that in a self aggrandising way

And that highlights one of the main problems - housing.

What is often overlooked is were a family to move from their council house to work elsewhere in the UK they would not be able to move back later. They've 'jumped ship'.

With the enforced shortage of suitable housing the govenment is paying out billions in housing benefit to house people in squalid conditions so as to not only see the quality of this housing diminish, but for a parasite class to line their pockets.

Yet we hear nothing about this from leavers. No grasp of this from those stuck in low employment areas.

No, their answer is to vote for those who have brought about this farcical, if not tragic situation.
The government's immigration policy on 17:52 - Feb 19 with 3039 viewsDarth_Koont

The government's immigration policy on 07:50 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

There will probably be exempt sectors. Care home I know well is already actively recruiting from outside the EU.

Brussel sprouts might be a problem though.

Edit; Good news for sprout lovers - points offered for "working in a sector with shortages"
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 7:58]

But that's insane. Why have we gone through all this with Brexit if the answer is now to increase immigration from outside the EU?

Pronouns: He/Him

The government's immigration policy on 17:55 - Feb 19 with 3033 viewseireblue

The government's immigration policy on 13:18 - Feb 19 by hype313

The interesting thing about those two countries is that they have a higher per head of population level of immigration than the UK.

The purpose of the points based system is not to restrict immigration numbers.
The government's immigration policy on 17:59 - Feb 19 with 3026 viewsRadlett_blue

The government's immigration policy on 17:52 - Feb 19 by Darth_Koont

But that's insane. Why have we gone through all this with Brexit if the answer is now to increase immigration from outside the EU?

Because who enters and the numbers will be controlled by the UK, rather than the current system of free movement within the EU.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The government's immigration policy on 20:46 - Feb 19 with 2974 viewsHARRY10

The government's immigration policy on 17:59 - Feb 19 by Radlett_blue

Because who enters and the numbers will be controlled by the UK, rather than the current system of free movement within the EU.

absolute rubbish

it will be controlled by employers, who when a shortage arises in one area will simply demand an exemption,

adding to all the otehr examptions

this will go the way of all the other guff you lot swallowed

no border down the Irish sea

no customs checks at Dover

no £39bn divorce payment

meanwhile the real problem of why government have not been providing UK nationals with the skills upgrade they need, the houses needed to allow them to move to where the work is gets conveniently ignored

and folk wonder why brexiteers get laughed at
The government's immigration policy on 21:09 - Feb 19 with 2953 viewsMugwump

The government's immigration policy on 17:52 - Feb 19 by Darth_Koont

Because this way it is not discriminatory.
The government's immigration policy on 21:10 - Feb 19 with 2951 viewsfooters

The government's immigration policy on 21:09 - Feb 19 by Mugwump

Because this way it is not discriminatory.

It's entirely discriminatory, that's the point of it.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024