Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tommy Smith to Sunderland 15:33 - Feb 21 with 3473 viewsLankHenners

'but he's yesterday's man, injury prone etc.'

ffs

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/former-ipswich-town-defender-tommy-smith-joins-sund

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:34 - Feb 21 with 2955 viewsitfcjoe

I'd heard this yesterday,, sad news - but quite simply Lambert didn't want him for whatever reason

Best of luck to him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:34 - Feb 21 with 2940 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Wages some way out of our budget.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

FFS indeed on 15:35 - Feb 21 with 2932 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:35 - Feb 21 with 2934 viewsJakeITFC

Not sure signing for Sunderland disproves any of the comments you’ve made there really.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:39 - Feb 21 with 2876 viewsLankHenners

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:35 - Feb 21 by JakeITFC

Not sure signing for Sunderland disproves any of the comments you’ve made there really.

No, but they were reasons people made for not signing him. Sunderland's risk to take obviously but did seem a bit daft not to take someone of his experience on board, especially in a position where we're a bit flimsy (particularly if we stick with 3 at the back).

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:40 - Feb 21 with 2864 viewsEastTownBlue

A headed winning goal from a corner in the play offs it is then.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:42 - Feb 21 with 2830 viewsSitfcB

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:34 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

I'd heard this yesterday,, sad news - but quite simply Lambert didn't want him for whatever reason

Best of luck to him

Doesn’t want to improve the squad, obviously.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:51 - Feb 21 with 2759 viewsJakeITFC

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:39 - Feb 21 by LankHenners

No, but they were reasons people made for not signing him. Sunderland's risk to take obviously but did seem a bit daft not to take someone of his experience on board, especially in a position where we're a bit flimsy (particularly if we stick with 3 at the back).

I’m just not convinced we needed him, as romantic as it may have been.

There should be more hand-wringing today over the lack of striker signing which was both a need then and looks worse now with the injury to Norwood.
Login to get fewer ads

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:52 - Feb 21 with 2742 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:42 - Feb 21 by SitfcB

Doesn’t want to improve the squad, obviously.

I think this purely falls down to money.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:56 - Feb 21 with 2705 viewsitfcjoe

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:51 - Feb 21 by JakeITFC

There should be more hand-wringing today over the lack of striker signing which was both a need then and looks worse now with the injury to Norwood.

Same at both ends for me - playing 3 at the back with 4 centre backs, and playing 2 up top with 3 strikers - one injury away from being short.

But we were trying to gt strikers in in January, whereas we could have had TS and elected not to so Lambert clearly agrees with you re where the need was

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:56 - Feb 21 with 2706 viewsLankHenners

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:51 - Feb 21 by JakeITFC

He was training with us, we know a lot about him, he has a good connection with players at the club - it made sense to get him in even if it was just as cover.

Agree on the striker front - needed to get in some type of lump to win the high balls and hold it up if nothing else.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:00 - Feb 21 with 2667 viewsJakeITFC

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:56 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

Same at both ends for me - playing 3 at the back with 4 centre backs, and playing 2 up top with 3 strikers - one injury away from being short.

But we were trying to gt strikers in in January, whereas we could have had TS and elected not to so Lambert clearly agrees with you re where the need was

I’d have had absolutely no problem with us signing him because it made a lot of sense for a lot of reasons (not least of them being that he’d immediately be our best defender) but I just think we had more pressing needs.

That we haven’t sorted those either is probably more of a worry than not taking Smith.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:01 - Feb 21 with 2658 viewsMullet

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:56 - Feb 21 by LankHenners

He was training with us, we know a lot about him, he has a good connection with players at the club - it made sense to get him in even if it was just as cover.

Agree on the striker front - needed to get in some type of lump to win the high balls and hold it up if nothing else.

Although if Earl is cheaper, he's also younger and more versatile. Certainly Tommy's had injuries and a propensity for getting done y the odd bouncing ball and aggressive striker.

There are arguments to suggest he'd not have improved us as much as Earl might but we won't know until the summer. The only thing we do know is he'd have been committed here I guess.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:22 - Feb 21 with 2525 viewsBlueBadger

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:52 - Feb 21 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think this purely falls down to money.

Lest we forget, we were apparently in for Connor Wickham on loan. Which means that there must have been SOME money kicking about. I can't see Tommy being as expensive as Connor.
Unless of course, our manager was lying in a feeble attempt to win over some divs with a cheap PR stunt.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:23 - Feb 21 with 2508 viewsartsbossbeard

Just popped on social meedja...crivens.

It is, of course, Evans fault.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:30 - Feb 21 with 2436 viewsLord_Lucan

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:23 - Feb 21 by artsbossbeard

Just popped on social meedja...crivens.

It is, of course, Evans fault.

But when he was here he was an overpaid c*nt wasn't he?

I'm sure I read that somewhere.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:34 - Feb 21 with 2408 viewsartsbossbeard

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:30 - Feb 21 by Lord_Lucan

But when he was here he was an overpaid c*nt wasn't he?

I'm sure I read that somewhere.

He was a town player.

Ergo, he had his critics.

Anyone remember the time when his GF at the time got the hump about something or other and went batsh1t crazy on FB?

Can't remember what it was about. Spending large sums of money or something, I think.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:34 - Feb 21 with 2400 viewsitfc48

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 15:56 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

Personally I'm hoping the three at the back experiment is over. Accrington aside, our best performances this season have come with a back 4 and Garbutt playing further forward.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:34 - Feb 21 with 2397 viewsr2d2

We are light on both centre backs and strikers now Norwood is out again. We could have sorted the centre back problem out with Tommy, costing nothing but his wages. We definitely needed a striker during the transfer window. Obviously Evans was never going to fund that. Now we look light at both ends of the pitch.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:35 - Feb 21 with 2387 viewsartsbossbeard

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:34 - Feb 21 by r2d2

We are light on both centre backs and strikers now Norwood is out again. We could have sorted the centre back problem out with Tommy, costing nothing but his wages. We definitely needed a striker during the transfer window. Obviously Evans was never going to fund that. Now we look light at both ends of the pitch.

Any match predictions this week R2?

You nailed it last week.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:37 - Feb 21 with 2370 viewsRomeo4

As much as I like Tommy Smith I can’t help thinking some people have some sort of fixation with revisiting the past. I think this is definitely a case of a player becoming better by not playing for us.

He was ok first time round but wasn’t the quickest, always seemed to have a mistake in him and his distribution wasn’t the best.

I like the look of Earl anyway.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:39 - Feb 21 with 2339 viewsr2d2

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:35 - Feb 21 by artsbossbeard

Any match predictions this week R2?

You nailed it last week.

Not going to be easy this. Oxford are a different kettle of fish to Burton. Think they will give us quite a few problems.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:40 - Feb 21 with 2329 viewsartsbossbeard

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:39 - Feb 21 by r2d2

Not going to be easy this. Oxford are a different kettle of fish to Burton. Think they will give us quite a few problems.

4-0 town then.

* logs on to Bet 365 *

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:41 - Feb 21 with 2326 viewsParky

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:37 - Feb 21 by Romeo4

As much as I like Tommy Smith I can’t help thinking some people have some sort of fixation with revisiting the past. I think this is definitely a case of a player becoming better by not playing for us.

He was ok first time round but wasn’t the quickest, always seemed to have a mistake in him and his distribution wasn’t the best.

I like the look of Earl anyway.

Spot on. Nobody cared when he left and it seems as though by playing in a poor MLS league he's got progressively better?

It's exactly the same with Freddie Sears, nobody really rated him for the last 5 seasons; but as he's been out injured he's now going to fire us into the Championship.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:44 - Feb 21 with 2291 viewsr2d2

Tommy Smith to Sunderland on 16:40 - Feb 21 by artsbossbeard

4-0 town then.

* logs on to Bet 365 *

Id love to think you were right!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024