Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I would love to see Boris actually call the media out 11:25 - Mar 23 with 5776 viewsBluefish

live at the press conference for their determination to find holes to sensationalise rather than have the nation's best interests at heart.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 11:25]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:35 - Mar 23 with 1170 viewsfooters

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:33 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Compare those messages, which are clear to the press conferences given - this is the issue, there is too much scope for intepretation given

Sit down and watch the 5pm one tonight and come back to me

This is my worry, that the messaging actually becomes oversaturated. It sounds good to do a daily presser, but really what's the point if most of it is taken up with filler? Just do one when there's something new or substantial to announce, otherwise people may switch off altogether.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:36 - Mar 23 with 1169 viewsBlueBadger

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 11:54 - Mar 23 by flimflam

I understand exactly what he is putting across it just seems a good portion of our grown ups are basically ignoring his advice.

He cannot be held responsible for people being morons.

So then he needs to take measures to restrict morons.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:37 - Mar 23 with 1159 viewshomer_123

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:33 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Compare those messages, which are clear to the press conferences given - this is the issue, there is too much scope for intepretation given

Sit down and watch the 5pm one tonight and come back to me

I've watched each and every one Joe.

The thing is I'm not watching it waiting to pull it apart.

It's not 100% perfect but the message (when you factor in all communication channels and lines) is very, very clear.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:37 - Mar 23 with 1157 viewsHerbivore

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:35 - Mar 23 by footers

This is my worry, that the messaging actually becomes oversaturated. It sounds good to do a daily presser, but really what's the point if most of it is taken up with filler? Just do one when there's something new or substantial to announce, otherwise people may switch off altogether.

I definitely think there's something in this. Major announcements are fair enough but Johnson waffling at a camera every day is minimally useful.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:38 - Mar 23 with 1151 viewshomer_123

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:34 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

He's not wrong, you just disagree. Johnson bumbles his way through contradictory press conference after contradictory press conference. We're not talking about published advice that he's not written.

You absolutely have to factor in the wider advice - if you are solely relying on Boris, then you need your head testing full stop.

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:38 - Mar 23 with 1145 viewsGlasgowBlue

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:35 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

Yes, in the press conference on Friday. He said he was hoping to see her seconds after giving advice to the contrary for everyone else.

Fair enough. That's mixed messaging and he needs to think before he speaks. Which has always been a great problem for him.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:39 - Mar 23 with 1147 viewsitfcjoe

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:26 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Did Johnson really say he was going to see his mum? I only saw his message that people should facetime or skype.

He said people should check the advice, and think carefully, but that he hoped to see his Mum even though he'd be working hard that day

The messaging in these press conferences is just not good enough, it drifts off the point and off message

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:40 - Mar 23 with 1145 viewsHerbivore

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:38 - Mar 23 by homer_123

You absolutely have to factor in the wider advice - if you are solely relying on Boris, then you need your head testing full stop.

I would wager more people are seeing Johnson waffling than are looking on the gov.uk website. And that is what is being discussed here. He hasn't been clear enough on messaging. It's lots of slogans and waffle for the most part.

Login to get fewer ads

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:40 - Mar 23 with 1143 viewsfooters

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:37 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

I definitely think there's something in this. Major announcements are fair enough but Johnson waffling at a camera every day is minimally useful.

It also leads to journos asking ever-more pointless questions to fill pages. Some of them have been bizarre so far. By inviting them to do it more can only add to the dissonance around the major themes.

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:45 - Mar 23 with 1123 viewsbluelagos

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 11:52 - Mar 23 by homer_123

What, exactly, isn't clear about self-distancing or self-isolation?

It is utterly and patently clear to see exactly what Boris and the scientific advisors are saying - if you are 'out' and you can go out, keep your distance.

It does not mean you can congregate in parks and pubs or sit next to others at picnic tables at National Trust sites.

The issue lies not with Boris and the Gov but moreover the public's inability to follow simple instructions without needing to be 'forced' to.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 11:53]

Nope, that is a complete abdication of govt responsibility imho. We dont leave drink drivers to self police, or speeders, or any other form of social problems. We create laws and we police them.

To expect anywhere near 100% compliance is niave in the extreme imho. Blame the people all you want, but it is the responsibility of those in power to lead. Make the laws and let the police enforce them.

Johnson is a libertarian (as am I) but this is not the time for libertarian laisse faire attitudes. We need to ensure people socially distance and asking nicely was never ever going to be adequate.

And all the time the dithering and reluctance to do what needs doing costs yet more lives...
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 12:47]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:49 - Mar 23 with 1113 viewsLankHenners

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:32 - Mar 23 by homer_123

This is unprecedented. Yes, there was not an overall consensus among the experts (no surprise, there never is).

However, the Gov has communicated clearly what the process has been, this has improved with the daily briefings and involving the likes of Witty et al.

The tack has changed, yes, but the situation is fluid and is likely to change again - so the messaging needs to flex to allow for that.

Over the last 7 days, the communication has been crystal clear on self-isolation and social-distancing. Patently, obviously and definitively clear.

Communication around business help and support is less so but, again, I have a degree of sympathy here in that trying to put the mechanisms in place to pay 80% of peoples wages is not something you can implement overnight.

Very, very easy to pick apart and criticise but on the whole (and I am no Boris supporter or Tory) - they've done OK given the circumstances.

To sit here now and say I'm not sure what I'd supposed to be doing - is f*ck wittery of the highest order.

Of course it would have been difficult to deal with this perfectly given the huge and unprecedented nature of it but they had the advantage of knowing what was coming and how it had affected other countries and how they had dealt with it.

The idea the messaging has been ‘Crystal clear’ is laughable I’m afraid. The pictures we’ve all seen from the weekend show that. Yes, people are being stupid and selfish, so you have to treat them as such. This very government had no problem with it when they wanted their votes so what’s changed?

The financial measures brought in, whilst, agreed, require a lot of strategic planning, was the bare minimum they had to do really, and it came late and didn’t help freelancers, self-employed etc.

And I’m sorry, but I find the ‘you can’t sit there and criticise’ attitude that people on here and elsewhere like to say appalling to be honest. We’re dealing with people’s lives. If the people in charge aren’t getting it right/doing enough, they need to be challenged on it now, not wait until it’s over and go ‘oh yeah that could have been done a bit better’.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:55 - Mar 23 with 1097 viewsbluelagos

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:49 - Mar 23 by LankHenners

Of course it would have been difficult to deal with this perfectly given the huge and unprecedented nature of it but they had the advantage of knowing what was coming and how it had affected other countries and how they had dealt with it.

The idea the messaging has been ‘Crystal clear’ is laughable I’m afraid. The pictures we’ve all seen from the weekend show that. Yes, people are being stupid and selfish, so you have to treat them as such. This very government had no problem with it when they wanted their votes so what’s changed?

The financial measures brought in, whilst, agreed, require a lot of strategic planning, was the bare minimum they had to do really, and it came late and didn’t help freelancers, self-employed etc.

And I’m sorry, but I find the ‘you can’t sit there and criticise’ attitude that people on here and elsewhere like to say appalling to be honest. We’re dealing with people’s lives. If the people in charge aren’t getting it right/doing enough, they need to be challenged on it now, not wait until it’s over and go ‘oh yeah that could have been done a bit better’.

Spot on sir. There is a level of trust and faith in the govt from many that I dont share.

Search out Proffessor John Ashton's bits n bobs. He is fzr better informed than anyone on here and is utterly scathing of the govt response.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:23 - Mar 23 with 1062 viewsMarinerisGod

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 11:48 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

But he isn't communicating that clearly and concisely

He is to intelligent people.

Being Deadpool for real.
Poll: Best McCarthy

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:24 - Mar 23 with 1057 viewsitfcjoe

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:23 - Mar 23 by MarinerisGod

He is to intelligent people.

He is supposed to be able to communicate to the whole country, not just those who are also looking at the advice etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:27 - Mar 23 with 1040 viewsjeera

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:35 - Mar 23 by footers

There's people still messaging each other to drink hot water regularly so it will wash the wash the virus into the stomach where it will die.

I cannot lie, I haven't been watching the conferences but assume all this stuff gets addressed?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:31 - Mar 23 with 1032 viewsghostofescobar

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 11:42 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

But when the message is don't visit people and he then says he is still hoping to visit his elderly Mother, or to stay in but it is important to get out and get fresh air and exercise then holes will be picked in it

Communication and leadership needs to be clear and not confusing

Boris deserves massive credit on this front: he's not been visiting his children for years.

GhostOfEscobar

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:35 - Mar 23 with 1023 viewsClapham_Junction

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 11:48 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Yesterday I listened to his press conference and then Nicola Sturgeon's. There was a world of different in how clearly the message was conveyed.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 13:38]
I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:45 - Mar 23 with 978 viewshomer_123

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 12:49 - Mar 23 by LankHenners

It's extremely easy for everyone to sit here and criticise though Henners. Very easy to find fault and pick things apart.

As I explained, our Gov (rightly or wrongly) chose a different path (the end point was 'always' going to the same).

I have no issue with people having a view on this - it's not one I share. By all means challenge but I'd love to see what people think could be done differently. In hindsight it's easy.

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:54 - Mar 23 with 965 viewsHerbivore

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:35 - Mar 23 by Clapham_Junction

Yesterday I listened to his press conference and then Nicola Sturgeon's. There was a world of different in how clearly the message was conveyed.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 13:38]

When he hands over to his advisers they are so much better at communicating complex messages simply than he is. Public speaking is one of the main parts of his role and he's just terrible at it, he waffles and drifts into using obscure language and metaphor to cover up for the lack of substance.

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:07 - Mar 23 with 947 viewsLankHenners

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:45 - Mar 23 by homer_123

It's extremely easy for everyone to sit here and criticise though Henners. Very easy to find fault and pick things apart.

As I explained, our Gov (rightly or wrongly) chose a different path (the end point was 'always' going to the same).

I have no issue with people having a view on this - it's not one I share. By all means challenge but I'd love to see what people think could be done differently. In hindsight it's easy.

Ok well let's all sit down and shut up then.

You say hindsight but there were calls for a different approach when 'herd immunity' was being publicly flip-flopped over, and lots of voices wanting the government to do something similar to Sunak's belated budget plan (and go even further) before he announced it.

It's a blatant lie to say the criticism is only being done in hindsight. The situations in other countries gave us an element of foresight which was wasted while the government wanged on about a 'wartime effort' and the 'blitz spirit' which was a load of waffly garbage which has evidently not been taken seriously.

Always, always, be very very wary of people saying not to 'politicise' things or accuse others of point scoring. In most cases, they're saying that because their usual political allegiances or point of view would show them up badly in said scenario, plus they're almost always removed from the heart of the situation.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:12 - Mar 23 with 935 viewslinhdi

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 11:42 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

But when the message is don't visit people and he then says he is still hoping to visit his elderly Mother, or to stay in but it is important to get out and get fresh air and exercise then holes will be picked in it

Communication and leadership needs to be clear and not confusing

How come the government hasn't taken out adverts in press, on FB, on the screens above major roads with CV advice / instructions? Maybe New Zealand's clear govt advice would be a useful one to copy...

After all, they managed to do it last October for a Brexit that was most unlikely to happen at that time.
I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:12 - Mar 23 with 931 viewsBasuco

His public speaking and general communicating is very poor and getting worse I think, which is a big surprise to me as in the past I remember him being an accomplished public speaker. Not sure why he is now really struggling, although he did struggle when under pressure in the election live debates. It looks like he cannot handle being under pressure .
I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:17 - Mar 23 with 919 viewsfooters

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:12 - Mar 23 by linhdi

How come the government hasn't taken out adverts in press, on FB, on the screens above major roads with CV advice / instructions? Maybe New Zealand's clear govt advice would be a useful one to copy...

After all, they managed to do it last October for a Brexit that was most unlikely to happen at that time.

Think there was supposed to be one emerging this week. Possibly too little too late if the weekend's scenes are anything to go by.

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:23 - Mar 23 with 894 viewsSwansea_Blue

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 13:45 - Mar 23 by homer_123

It's not hindsight - we had the foresight from other countries. Our response looked 'off' from the start when compared to other countries. This was pointed out repeatedly by all sorts of people; from average Joes on here to many, many health professional in this an other countries. The WHO criticised us.

What we could have done (and what we still need to do) is take this more seriously. Measures needed to be introduced earlier and we need to go further. Our frontline health professionals don't even have enough basic protective equipment. That's simply unacceptable when we knew this was coming (and have regular planning exercises on pandemics).

For what's next, just look over the borders at all out neighbouring countries. It's plain to see. We'll have stricter population controls, the numbers of cases will continue to rise and our health service will start to really struggle.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:36 - Mar 23 with 873 viewsHerbivore

I would love to see Boris actually call the media out on 14:12 - Mar 23 by Basuco

His public speaking and general communicating is very poor and getting worse I think, which is a big surprise to me as in the past I remember him being an accomplished public speaker. Not sure why he is now really struggling, although he did struggle when under pressure in the election live debates. It looks like he cannot handle being under pressure .

He's never been an accomplished public speaker. People used to find his bumbling and use of flowery language endearing or entertaining back when he didn't have to convey anything meaningful. Now that we're in a situation where clear and unambiguous messages are needed he is clearly, painfully not up to the task and it becomes more jarring.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024