Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Observations on social distancing 09:30 - Apr 2 with 4497 viewsStokieBlue

So I realise this is anecdotal but I also have some info to back it up from some local doctors.

I went for a cycle two days ago and passed through the orthodox Jewish community in Stamford Hill and they were not adhering to the social distancing rules in any way. Families were walking together chatting with 6 or 7 buggies and all the kids were playing together in communal spaces (20-30 kids at least). Groups of men were standing together much closer than 2m and chatting away.

The other cohort I noticed who didn't seem to be adhering to the advice were teenage couples although there were less of those around than I had seen previously.

I think on the whole the rules are being adhered to very well but I guess there are some communities and cohorts to whom the message has yet sunk in.

Anyone else noticed any specific examples of social distancing being ignored in a big way?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Observations on social distancing on 18:11 - Apr 2 with 1033 viewsGlasgowBlue

Observations on social distancing on 17:49 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

This is a major problem and quite frankly I'm sick of it.

Armchair experts in the media, on social media, on forums - and I very much include TWTD.

There are people who are objective but many aren't. TWTD has certainly thrown some curveballs in this aspect.

Matey started explaining certain tests to me today and I'll be honest it started to go right over my head.

As I said the other day, Peston absolutely knows his stuff when it comes to economics but is out of his depth when it comes to science.

The journalist in him is desperate to find a smoking gun to get stuck into the government but has ended up opening social media to all sorts of conspiracy theories and empowering the armchair epidemiologists who have a degree from the university of Wikipedia.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Observations on social distancing on 18:17 - Apr 2 with 1030 viewsMelford

Observations on social distancing on 16:32 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

Another worry is that the weather forecast this weekend is very good and after nearly two weeks of lock down a great number of people will are going to take advantage of it.

The message needs to get around. Stay indoors. There will be plenty of time to go out in the summer of we all comply with the social distancing measures.

Where I live there's a massive cowfield about a minute away, there has been a lot more people down there lately. I normally walk the dog at 2 on my days off and most of the time you won't see another person and if you did they had a dog with them, now it's pretty busy but 99% of people are doing it right. There was about 10 hooray-henry posh types with their children earlier sharing a flasks of hot drink and some little bottles of wine and some food tucked up in a corner of the field.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Observations on social distancing on 19:15 - Apr 2 with 993 viewsbrogansnose

I'm in construction and social distancing is nigh on impossible especially when the main contractor insists on adhering to the program and trying to bring more and more people on site. We walked off last week refusing to work and were backed up by our subcontractor boss. Main contractor, who have the bulk of their staff working from home, insist the site is safe but haven't sent in their H&S manager to risk assess things. We have effectively been blackmailed by the main contractor into going back to work with a reduced workforce to use up the materials we've got and then that's it.

Why the hell the government didn't close down all sites I've no idea.
Observations on social distancing on 21:00 - Apr 2 with 951 viewsAce_High1

Observations on social distancing on 19:15 - Apr 2 by brogansnose

I'm in construction and social distancing is nigh on impossible especially when the main contractor insists on adhering to the program and trying to bring more and more people on site. We walked off last week refusing to work and were backed up by our subcontractor boss. Main contractor, who have the bulk of their staff working from home, insist the site is safe but haven't sent in their H&S manager to risk assess things. We have effectively been blackmailed by the main contractor into going back to work with a reduced workforce to use up the materials we've got and then that's it.

Feel for you mate, some of my guys had been in this situation so I called all of them back.

Since then, over the last week have been asked 3 times by the main contractor to send the staff back, I have refused and politely outlined my reasons why and now..... they are referencing contracts and delays..... but I will not change my mind. In times like this there is a right way of doing things and protecting the health of my guys is what is right.
Observations on social distancing on 21:40 - Apr 2 with 909 viewsBlueForYou

Can someone explain to me how four people sharing a ride to work & back in a Nissan Micra is adhering in any way to social distancing rules? You won’t believe where the workplace is (I’m not allowed to mention it on any media), but it staggers me!
Observations on social distancing on 22:15 - Apr 2 with 879 viewsjeera

Observations on social distancing on 21:40 - Apr 2 by BlueForYou

Can someone explain to me how four people sharing a ride to work & back in a Nissan Micra is adhering in any way to social distancing rules? You won’t believe where the workplace is (I’m not allowed to mention it on any media), but it staggers me!

The only people you should be aiming that question at is those in the car.

Whilst you're at it, can you ask on my behalf how the feck they get 4 people into the back of a Micra?

Legalities aside of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Observations on social distancing on 22:31 - Apr 2 with 861 viewsGlasgowBlue

Observations on social distancing on 22:15 - Apr 2 by jeera

The only people you should be aiming that question at is those in the car.

Whilst you're at it, can you ask on my behalf how the feck they get 4 people into the back of a Micra?

Legalities aside of course.

I got six people into a TR7 in 1988.

Iron Lion Zion

Observations on social distancing on 22:41 - Apr 2 with 856 viewsMelford

Observations on social distancing on 22:31 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

In the raving days we'd all pile in, people sitting on people's laps, someone in the boot if it was big enough.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Observations on social distancing on 22:42 - Apr 2 with 853 viewsGlasgowBlue

Observations on social distancing on 22:41 - Apr 2 by Melford

In the raving days we'd all pile in, people sitting on people's laps, someone in the boot if it was big enough.

We were on the way to the Tartan House in Frating.

Iron Lion Zion

Observations on social distancing on 23:14 - Apr 2 with 834 viewsvapour_trail

Observations on social distancing on 16:32 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

Another worry is that the weather forecast this weekend is very good and after nearly two weeks of lock down a great number of people will are going to take advantage of it.

The message needs to get around. Stay indoors. There will be plenty of time to go out in the summer of we all comply with the social distancing measures.

Don’t mean to burst your bubble but I suspect you won’t be seeing very much of this summer in any meaningful sense.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Observations on social distancing on 23:26 - Apr 2 with 822 viewsGlasgowBlue

Observations on social distancing on 23:14 - Apr 2 by vapour_trail

Don’t mean to burst your bubble but I suspect you won’t be seeing very much of this summer in any meaningful sense.

I believe (hope) that outside of major cities, and not including those who fall into the most vulnerable category, we will see life returning to some sort of normality in three months time.

The economy and the sanity of the nation can’t stand being locked down for longer than that. I think we’ll then see some more advisory social distances in late autumn/early winter to avoid a second wave during the winter illness season.

All speculation and aspiration on my part of course.

Iron Lion Zion

Observations on social distancing on 23:29 - Apr 2 with 822 viewsLord_Lucan

Observations on social distancing on 22:31 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

I got 9 in a Vauxhall Victor on the way to Kempys after he went a bit mad.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Observations on social distancing on 23:43 - Apr 2 with 811 viewsClapham_Junction

About half the people I see on the tube at the moment seem to be construction workers. I also noticed a site opposite Aldgate tube station where they seem to be continuing work.

CVU (or one of their subcontractors) did a road resurfacing on the street across from mine last week. They started on Wednesday but all disappeared around 2pm, so I assumed someone had asked wtf are you doing, go home, but they came back Thursday and Friday and finished it.
Observations on social distancing on 23:48 - Apr 2 with 798 viewsjeera

Observations on social distancing on 23:29 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

I got 9 in a Vauxhall Victor on the way to Kempys after he went a bit mad.

I'm not sure that counts.

Weren't those basically vans, but in the shape of cars?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Observations on social distancing on 05:42 - Apr 3 with 745 viewsbrogansnose

Observations on social distancing on 21:00 - Apr 2 by Ace_High1

Feel for you mate, some of my guys had been in this situation so I called all of them back.

Since then, over the last week have been asked 3 times by the main contractor to send the staff back, I have refused and politely outlined my reasons why and now..... they are referencing contracts and delays..... but I will not change my mind. In times like this there is a right way of doing things and protecting the health of my guys is what is right.

We've gone back with a skeleton team in an area I've fenced off as far away from all other trades as possible with two of the blokes a father and son who live and travel together which minimises that particular risk. It means we're playing the contactural game until we run out of materials which won't be too long. I could if I wanted swerve going in but I'm there to maintain that others don't encroach on their space. Yesterday a group of steel workers turned up and I told them to clear off and there was a blazing row with a site manager who decided it was better if they came back Saturday which should have been programmed in the first place.
Observations on social distancing on 09:06 - Apr 3 with 688 viewsLord_Lucan

Observations on social distancing on 23:48 - Apr 2 by jeera

I'm not sure that counts.

Weren't those basically vans, but in the shape of cars?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Observations on social distancing on 09:53 - Apr 3 with 655 viewsWeWereZombies

Observations on social distancing on 16:15 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Are you sure that wasn't Dolly?

I have a slightly embarrassing distancing confession.

I was in the Co-op queue the other day and as soon as I entered the store I became angry for some reason. Anyway I queued up 2m behind the person in front only to notice some idiot walk past me and straight to the second till. I bellowed out "Oi, the queue starts behind me mate" only to be advised that I was in the Post Office line.

Sorry it has taken me so long to read this thread but I would just like to say that I hope you did not stamp your foot...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Observations on social distancing on 10:04 - Apr 3 with 644 viewstextbackup

Norwich road, ipswich

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Observations on social distancing on 10:13 - Apr 3 with 641 viewsgordon

Observations on social distancing on 14:39 - Apr 2 by jeera

Gordon's clearly a decent chap but can take things a bit literally sometimes.

I once made some daft off-the-cuff comment about finding the Lloyds Bank adverts irritating and how if I wanted to buy a horse I'd try Tattersalls.

Gordon (I'm sure it was Gordon), wrote me a lengthy reply assuring me that Lloyds weren't trying to sell horses and went on to explain how adverts work.

That does sound like equine fantastic post and the kind of discussion that furlong time has made TWTD a favourite, but I would have to concede that I was a non-runner in this particular thread, and I would suggest that actually a rather more filly poster was responsible. Steward's enquiry called for.
Observations on social distancing on 10:39 - Apr 3 with 625 viewsLord_Lucan

Observations on social distancing on 09:53 - Apr 3 by WeWereZombies

Sorry it has taken me so long to read this thread but I would just like to say that I hope you did not stamp your foot...

I did what every clown in this situation should do, I apologised profusely.

In fact I probably over apologised.

Observations on social distancing on 10:40 - Apr 3 with 625 viewswitchdoctor

Observations on social distancing on 16:15 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Are you sure that wasn't Dolly?

I have a slightly embarrassing distancing confession.

I was in the Co-op queue the other day and as soon as I entered the store I became angry for some reason. Anyway I queued up 2m behind the person in front only to notice some idiot walk past me and straight to the second till. I bellowed out "Oi, the queue starts behind me mate" only to be advised that I was in the Post Office line.

😂😂😂
Observations on social distancing on 10:51 - Apr 3 with 620 viewsNthQldITFC

Observations on social distancing on 09:06 - Apr 3 by Lord_Lucan

"We're The Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner. You've kept us waiting, so unless you want a kicking you tell us where those photographs are."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Observations on social distancing on 11:05 - Apr 3 with 611 viewsgordon

Observations on social distancing on 10:41 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

I am sure the masses of TWTD are not going to stop complying because I posted about an anecdotal example in north London.

It's not really much focus, I think you are taking this a bit too far. If it was splashed across all the newspapers then I'd agree you've got a very good point.

It was more a cultural point around religion and community grouping and how it might effect peoples attitudes in different ways. I didn't think it was an unreasonable discussion. Some doctors in the area were certainly concerned about it.

SB
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 10:45]

l would agree that your capacity to instigate civil disobedience via posts on TWTD is limited!

I had intended to make a more general point about how as we remain in this state (and in general people are under-estimating how long it is likely to last) there will be potential for the tabloids and irresponsible social media hacks to really stir up resentment against easy targets that they can blame for the (likely) continuing transmission rate, and potentially for the government to tacitly encourage that to shield against criticism of the slowness of their response.

In the smallish town in Scotland where I am, there's already some quite serious vigilanteism on the go with lots of people assuming the role of policing others, lots of older, vulnerable people feeling they aren't allowed out for anything at all, and getting really scared of being arrested, while there's already some quite negative stuff about a few groups of Eastern Europeans who live in large groups and work at a local chicken factory. Given that we've probably got at least 3 months of this, if the tabloids etc. did start to stir things, in some places things could deteriorate pretty quickly.

That's also why (in my opinion) the idea of immunity passports is really problematic, because of the potential for it to cause civil unrest for the reasons I gave in that other post yesterday.

But my post certainly didn't communicate much of that - I had tried to be brief because I need to get some work done, but finding it very difficult to be productive!
Observations on social distancing on 12:10 - Apr 3 with 589 viewsPinewoodblue

Rather than start a new thread will make on observation on social distancing here.

Just watch, on Sky News the official opening of NHS Nightingale. There were crosses marked 6ft apart and people stood on them . Trouble is before, and after when Hancock was being interviewed, people could be seen standing in small groups chatting, These would mainly be people who ought to know better.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Observations on social distancing on 13:24 - Apr 3 with 569 viewsLeaky

I haven't worked on a construction site for some time, however I well remember site managers thinking. if a project takes 10 days put 10 men on it , it will get done in a day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024