Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Panic buying 21:45 - Apr 11 with 4293 viewspeterleeblue

Are people still doing this?
Went to my local Sainsburys today and for the third week running. No pasta, tinned tomatoes and veg as well as flour.

If you are responsible and have a house full of this stuff would you kindly stop.
Thanks
Panic buying on 09:07 - Apr 12 with 1281 viewsbrogansnose

Panic buying on 08:54 - Apr 12 by Mullet

Now that is proper peasant food. Fresh pasta is one thing I still can't right at all. Was hoping to rectify that due to expecting pot noodles and dried pasta to go first. How foolish I feel now.

We have a lot of food banks up here, big sophisticated operations too and I dread to think how they are coping because of it.

Madam B makes lovely fresh pasta, the difference is amazing but because there's a lot of work involved the trade off is me having to do something major like re-tiling a bathroom. Polenta is either as boring as eating wall paper paste or a delight. Gotta love polenta and parmesan chips.

This should be the cue for Jeera to drop in with a recipe.

I've made certain that I've been lobbing stuff in the boxes for local FB's because things must be really stretched out there right now.
Panic buying on 09:29 - Apr 12 with 1252 viewsGuthrum

Panic buying on 08:25 - Apr 12 by Mullet

I’ve not been able to see flour anywhere since it kicked off which is annoying because I actually use quite a lot and make my own bread every so often anyway.

There was a story in the local news of a load of bins with mouldy food piled up about a week in, not sure if it was national or not, however there will be a massive wastage when people clear out cupboards of stuff they never touched.

Fresh veg has been the worst here, Asda had hardly anything when I went and what they did have went off even quicker than usual. The visits I have done to supermarkets have shown quite a nasty reality about some people unfortunately.

Breadmaking flour was one of the first things to disappear. Must be loads of people trying to make bread who've never done it before, probably with quite interesting results (takes a lot of time and effort, unless you have a machine).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Panic buying on 09:35 - Apr 12 with 1238 viewsr2d2

Panic buying on 21:48 - Apr 11 by SitfcB

Pasta went long before this even kicked off, not sure when we’ll see it again

Most of the supermarkets have stopped the ‘rationing’ of items.

Plenty of pasta and sauces in our local sainsburys earlier in the week. Loo roll too and cleaning products. Tins still a bit thin on the ground. People must be living on baked beans. Havent been able to get any for weeks.
Panic buying on 10:03 - Apr 12 with 1202 viewsElephantintheRoom

Supermarket supply chains are governed by what goes out at the till. If they are not putting stuff through the tills it is not going into their own systems for getting it back on the shelves the next day. Panic buying wasn't factored into just in time supply chains.

Just like care homes ordering their weekly shop on line cannot get any food any more because yuppies want an on-line delivery so they have time to go out cycling.

But that apparently is not panic on-line buying.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Panic buying on 10:31 - Apr 12 with 1176 viewsBloomBlue

Hopefully this crisis will change people's shopping habits to use more local small shops instead off all going to large supermarkets, our delivery structure is built entirely around the big supermarkets.
There are small shops out there doing a fantastic job at trying to fill the gaps.
After this is all over people need to stop being lazy, get out there and use their feet/legs to start shopping at small local shops.
Panic buying on 10:40 - Apr 12 with 1164 viewsGuthrum

Panic buying on 10:31 - Apr 12 by BloomBlue

Hopefully this crisis will change people's shopping habits to use more local small shops instead off all going to large supermarkets, our delivery structure is built entirely around the big supermarkets.
There are small shops out there doing a fantastic job at trying to fill the gaps.
After this is all over people need to stop being lazy, get out there and use their feet/legs to start shopping at small local shops.

Agree, but doubt it'll happen. Supermarkets, where you can get everything in one hit (at cheap prices) are just too convenient. It's why they came to be dominant in the first place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Panic buying on 13:09 - Apr 12 with 1122 viewspeterleeblue

Panic buying on 07:15 - Apr 12 by NewcyBlue

Head up the A19 to Asda Boldon. Loads of Pasta mate and tinned goods.

Cheers Newcy. Will bear that in mind next Saturday.

The wife went to Peterlee Asda (our normal store) 3 weeks ago and someone hit the car while she was in the store and drove off. Leaving me with a £140 repair bill which I for obvious reasons cant get down now as the body shop cant source the paints etc.
So started using Sainsbury's in Silksworth - Bigger car park and this isn't meant to sound nasty at all but less of a scrum in the store. Some people round my way shall we say are not obeying the rules on SD.

As some have highlighted people are still buying the lines that are in short supply when they see them even if they have plenty.
Panic buying on 13:12 - Apr 12 with 1119 viewspeterleeblue

Panic buying on 08:14 - Apr 12 by hype313

They all seem to be back to normal, however, there are a couple of factors to consider, everyone's shopping bill will have gone up with kids at home, also 60% of our food intake is serviced by the supermarkets, the other 40% is made up from eating out, costa, maccy d, pubs, restaurants, Nandos etc, so the supermarkets are having to take up that extra 40%, so it will be a few weeks before supply chains are working accordingly.

Some good points. I'm in the pub trade (i hope!) and I should have considered some of those points.

Interesting we ran out of Grease proof paper last week and could not get any - Dovetails in with the Flour / Yeast etc.

In fairness Cookery is a good way to stay in and do something productive so don't fall out with this at all.
Login to get fewer ads

Panic buying on 13:15 - Apr 12 with 1115 viewsNewcyBlue

Panic buying on 13:09 - Apr 12 by peterleeblue

Cheers Newcy. Will bear that in mind next Saturday.

The wife went to Peterlee Asda (our normal store) 3 weeks ago and someone hit the car while she was in the store and drove off. Leaving me with a £140 repair bill which I for obvious reasons cant get down now as the body shop cant source the paints etc.
So started using Sainsbury's in Silksworth - Bigger car park and this isn't meant to sound nasty at all but less of a scrum in the store. Some people round my way shall we say are not obeying the rules on SD.

As some have highlighted people are still buying the lines that are in short supply when they see them even if they have plenty.

Asda in Boldon is pretty busy most of the time. You can park round the corner next to the cinema and walk round though. It’s what I tend to do if it’s too busy and we are in the nice car.

MrsN wants to head down to Dalton Park when this is all over so we can get baby stuff.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Panic buying on 13:22 - Apr 12 with 1103 viewspeterleeblue

Panic buying on 10:03 - Apr 12 by ElephantintheRoom

Supermarket supply chains are governed by what goes out at the till. If they are not putting stuff through the tills it is not going into their own systems for getting it back on the shelves the next day. Panic buying wasn't factored into just in time supply chains.

Just like care homes ordering their weekly shop on line cannot get any food any more because yuppies want an on-line delivery so they have time to go out cycling.

But that apparently is not panic on-line buying.

I think Sainsburys have a system where you can pay £60.00 per year for free next day deliveries.
Apparently this got postponed but loads of complaints led to it being re implemented and a load of next day slots were automatically given back to those that had paid up front.

I know someone through work who 6 weeks ago went out bought a huge chest freezer for his garage and went out and ordered £500.00 worth of gear. As he was a customer of mine I had to smile wryly at the Smug T**t.
Panic buying on 15:28 - Apr 12 with 1071 viewsjeera

Panic buying on 09:07 - Apr 12 by brogansnose

Madam B makes lovely fresh pasta, the difference is amazing but because there's a lot of work involved the trade off is me having to do something major like re-tiling a bathroom. Polenta is either as boring as eating wall paper paste or a delight. Gotta love polenta and parmesan chips.

This should be the cue for Jeera to drop in with a recipe.

I've made certain that I've been lobbing stuff in the boxes for local FB's because things must be really stretched out there right now.

I'm more limited than that I'm afraid.

I've never really got into Italian. I've nothing against it and will happily eat it and pasta isn't something that I often turn to.

I make a decent lasagne from time to time and occasionally will knock up something or other, but otherwise pasta for me is a quick and lazy way to feed myself.

Edit: I don't think I've ever cooked polenta. Can't say it does it for me too much but I might be missing out I suppose. I did look at a pack a few weeks ago when it was the only thing left on the shelf amidst this lunacy buying lark, but decided against it.

It's probably still there.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 15:30]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Panic buying on 18:09 - Apr 12 with 1045 viewspeterleeblue

Panic buying on 13:15 - Apr 12 by NewcyBlue

Asda in Boldon is pretty busy most of the time. You can park round the corner next to the cinema and walk round though. It’s what I tend to do if it’s too busy and we are in the nice car.

MrsN wants to head down to Dalton Park when this is all over so we can get baby stuff.

Dalton Park - My Mrs hates shopping so is happy to use it as it means only a small hop.
TBH for clothes I only visit 2. Levis on DP the Barbour Factory Shop for Shirts and Jumpers.
On line for a few other bits like trainers , footie boots and thats a bout it.

Thanks for the advice ref ASDA. I might call down to my local one about 7.30 one evening to avoid the crowds and see if they have what I need. If not I can easily slide up the now deserted A19 to Boldon.
Panic buying on 21:11 - Apr 12 with 1016 viewsGeoffSentence

Panic buying on 22:15 - Apr 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

I have reliable information that the issue with flour is getting it bagged and shipped. The flour mills are still producing it but the break in the supply chain lies there. Apparently you can buy it in by the tonne no problem.

Further to this the problem with the supply chain is popping it in the little bags that they sell it in the shops.

Most flour is sold in big bags for commercial enterprises, but now that demand for home baking has increased they haven't got enough capacity to fill up all the little bags that we use in the home.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Panic buying on 21:16 - Apr 12 with 1001 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Panic buying on 13:22 - Apr 12 by peterleeblue

I think Sainsburys have a system where you can pay £60.00 per year for free next day deliveries.
Apparently this got postponed but loads of complaints led to it being re implemented and a load of next day slots were automatically given back to those that had paid up front.

I know someone through work who 6 weeks ago went out bought a huge chest freezer for his garage and went out and ordered £500.00 worth of gear. As he was a customer of mine I had to smile wryly at the Smug T**t.

On a point of order...

If you are paying £60 for deliveries they are not free.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Panic buying on 22:24 - Apr 12 with 980 viewsjeera

Panic buying on 21:11 - Apr 12 by GeoffSentence

Further to this the problem with the supply chain is popping it in the little bags that they sell it in the shops.

Most flour is sold in big bags for commercial enterprises, but now that demand for home baking has increased they haven't got enough capacity to fill up all the little bags that we use in the home.

According to those in the trade that does seem to be an issue as you rightly say:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52212760

We had probably seen the same article.

We need to go back to a time with less packing maybe, with [hygienic] bins from which we scoop our requirements into our own bags that we take with us. Saving resources.

Actually, maybe just one hygienic person who works there doing the scooping, rather than everyone sticking their grubby paws into my food thanks.

Panic buying on 22:27 - Apr 12 with 979 viewsjeera

Panic buying on 21:16 - Apr 12 by Tangledupin_Blue

On a point of order...

If you are paying £60 for deliveries they are not free.

£60 for the year apparently.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024