Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final 14:25 - Apr 22 with 2568 viewsHullblue

Just watched the highlights - can anyone tell me why Mick Mills was wearing number 11? At the risk of displaying my ignorance, I thought he only played full back or occasionally centre back.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:26 - Apr 22 with 2097 viewsmonty_radio

He played midfield for a while, wearing 8 or 10.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:28 - Apr 22 with 2087 viewsRadlett_blue

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:26 - Apr 22 by monty_radio

He played midfield for a while, wearing 8 or 10.

Definitely filled in as a defensive midfield player, but usually wearing 4. I don't ever remember Mills playing at centre back.
He may have worn #11 in a half baked attempt to confuse foreign opposition.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:35 - Apr 22 with 2047 viewsHullblue

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:28 - Apr 22 by Radlett_blue

Definitely filled in as a defensive midfield player, but usually wearing 4. I don't ever remember Mills playing at centre back.
He may have worn #11 in a half baked attempt to confuse foreign opposition.

Cheers guys - never knew that. I might have imagined the centre back thing just because he seems the type. I was minus 9 at the time so no first hand recollection.

In the highlights he’s involved in the final third on at least two occasions - he nearly sets up John Wark with a mishit shot from inside the area, so seems like he was playing even further forward that night?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:43 - Apr 22 with 2028 viewsTrumptonBlue

Number 10 in this one.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:57 - Apr 22 with 2007 viewsMookamoo

Can anyone remember who was on the bench?

I assume Gates as injured and they didn't want to play O'Callaghan in order to pack the middle.

Forget how good McCall was (normally - ignore that backpass) at full back and how versatile Mills was in midfield. Much better option when they had injuries to push Mills forward as there wasn't a lot of choice - which probably cost us the championship.
Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 15:06 - Apr 22 with 1989 viewsElephantintheRoom

think he played for England in midfield too.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 15:08 - Apr 22 with 1983 viewsLord_Lucan

He thought he was better than everyone else and insisted in playing with Roman Numerals

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 15:10 - Apr 22 with 1978 viewsRadlett_blue

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 15:06 - Apr 22 by ElephantintheRoom

think he played for England in midfield too.

He did - I remember him having an excellent game in midfield against Wales.

Login to get fewer ads

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 16:45 - Apr 22 with 1872 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The win away to Cologne was as impressive as the win in St Etienne. Cologne were also a fantastic side, they'd reached the semi-final of the European Cup two yeas before and should have won it. Rinus Michels was the coach and he is every bit as big a legend as Bobby Robson.

If you watch the highlights they had some very good chances, mainly Stefan Engels who hit the post with a header. Town were brilliant that night though and deserved to win over the two games.

As for Mick Mills, we will never have a full back as good as him again. A beast of a player.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 16:54 - Apr 22 with 1853 viewsPhilTWTD

I meant to add the team to the story but forgot. Gates missed the match, so Mills moved into midfield and took his number: Cooper, Steggles, McCall, Thijssen, Osman, Butcher, Wark, Muhren, Mariner, Brazil, Mills.
Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 16:55 - Apr 22 with 1845 viewsPhilTWTD

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:57 - Apr 22 by Mookamoo

I assume Gates as injured and they didn't want to play O'Callaghan in order to pack the middle.

Forget how good McCall was (normally - ignore that backpass) at full back and how versatile Mills was in midfield. Much better option when they had injuries to push Mills forward as there wasn't a lot of choice - which probably cost us the championship.

Can't find the subs list. I would guess you're right re the thinking behind Mills moving into midfield rather than O'Callaghan starting.
Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:08 - Apr 22 with 1820 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 16:54 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

I meant to add the team to the story but forgot. Gates missed the match, so Mills moved into midfield and took his number: Cooper, Steggles, McCall, Thijssen, Osman, Butcher, Wark, Muhren, Mariner, Brazil, Mills.

Koln's side was:

Schumacher, Prestin, Konopka, Zimmerman (Kroth 70), Bonhof, Cullmann, Littbarski, Botteron, Muller, Engels and Woodcock.

Both Schumacher and Littbarski played in the World Cup final the following year.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:11 - Apr 22 with 1811 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 16:55 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

Can't find the subs list. I would guess you're right re the thinking behind Mills moving into midfield rather than O'Callaghan starting.

It would have been five subs.

Maybe O'Callaghan, Sivell, D'Avray, Turner, Parkin. If I was to put money on it I'd choose these five.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:15 - Apr 22 with 1798 viewsGeoffSentence

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:08 - Apr 22 by The_Last_Baron

Koln's side was:

Schumacher, Prestin, Konopka, Zimmerman (Kroth 70), Bonhof, Cullmann, Littbarski, Botteron, Muller, Engels and Woodcock.

Both Schumacher and Littbarski played in the World Cup final the following year.

And here is Schumacher in action in that world cup

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:17 - Apr 22 with 1792 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:15 - Apr 22 by GeoffSentence

Brutal and the greatest injustice I can remember at a World Cup. He was a fantastic goalkeeper though, played in two World Cup finals. Not many can say that. Littbarski played in three.

France v Italy would have been an incredible final.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:18 - Apr 22 with 1790 viewsRadlett_blue

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:08 - Apr 22 by The_Last_Baron

Koln's side was:

Engels was also in the German squad. Klaus Fischer of Koln also played in the 1982 final but for some reason didn't play against Town.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 18:00 - Apr 22 with 1753 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:18 - Apr 22 by Radlett_blue

Engels was also in the German squad. Klaus Fischer of Koln also played in the 1982 final but for some reason didn't play against Town.

Fischer scored the equaliser in the semi-final against France if I remember right, an overhead kick. I would say St Etienne, Cologne and AZ were all excellent sides and it shows how good we were that we beat all of them.

Paul Mariner tells a great story about Cologne defender Gerhard Strack in the first game. In the tunnel there was a war of words with Strack and Mariner told him he would sort him out on the pitch. After five minutes Town got a corner in front of the North Stand and as the ball came over Mariner nailed him, poleaxed him. Today with TV cameras and refs handing out red cards for nothing he'd never get away with it. Strack was carried off and he still hadn't recovered by the times the second leg came around.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 18:03 - Apr 22 with 1748 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:18 - Apr 22 by Radlett_blue

And Rinus 'The General' Michels led the Netherlands to the European Championship in 1988. I loved that Dutch team.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 18:51 - Apr 22 with 1696 viewsRadlett_blue

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 16:45 - Apr 22 by The_Last_Baron

The win away to Cologne was as impressive as the win in St Etienne. Cologne were also a fantastic side, they'd reached the semi-final of the European Cup two yeas before and should have won it. Rinus Michels was the coach and he is every bit as big a legend as Bobby Robson.

If you watch the highlights they had some very good chances, mainly Stefan Engels who hit the post with a header. Town were brilliant that night though and deserved to win over the two games.

As for Mick Mills, we will never have a full back as good as him again. A beast of a player.

When Wilf McGuinness became Man Utd manager in 1969, he knew the team needed strengthening & Mills was one of the players he really wanted to sign. Fortunately, Busby & the Man U board didn't give him the go ahead. I'm sure they'd have got him for £100k in those days.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 19:16 - Apr 22 with 1681 viewsEnigma_Blue

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:11 - Apr 22 by The_Last_Baron

Maybe O'Callaghan, Sivell, D'Avray, Turner, Parkin. If I was to put money on it I'd choose these five.

Any squad photos for the season after we won the UEFA cup i have seen don't include Sivell or D'Avray. Just wondered if you or anyone else knows why.
Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 19:25 - Apr 22 with 1666 viewsPhilTWTD

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:11 - Apr 22 by The_Last_Baron

I think you're almost certainly right. I've had another look round and stil can't find a list.
Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 19:26 - Apr 22 with 1665 viewsazuremerlangus

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 14:57 - Apr 22 by Mookamoo

I saw McCall play for Plymouth in the early nineties - still a very accomplished midfielder even at the back end of his career.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 20:08 - Apr 22 with 1618 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 18:51 - Apr 22 by Radlett_blue

When Wilf McGuinness became Man Utd manager in 1969, he knew the team needed strengthening & Mills was one of the players he really wanted to sign. Fortunately, Busby & the Man U board didn't give him the go ahead. I'm sure they'd have got him for £100k in those days.

I think Mick turned United down at some point in the mid 70s. And I think he turned Sunderland down after we won the UEFA Cup when they were offering big money contracts to players.

Its mad to think we could have had another three years out of Mick Mills. He went to Southampton and came close to winning the league title with them and the FA Cup.

I suppose the club felt that McCall waa good enough, which he was, but Mills should have stayed.

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 20:12 - Apr 22 with 1612 viewsTrequartista

There was a period where if any midfielder or full-back was injured, Mills would take their place and shirt number and McCall would take Mills #3 shirt. Even striker on occasion.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 20:13 - Apr 22 with 1595 viewsTrequartista

Question about the UEFA Cup semi-final on 17:15 - Apr 22 by GeoffSentence

Keepers still do that and still get away with it. (Just not quite so violently)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024