Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This pressure to end the lockdown 08:50 - Apr 27 with 10189 viewsSteve_M

Is it coming from anywhere other than the same right-wing columnists and media pundits who didn't want it in the first place? Opinion polls at the end of last week remained broadly supportive and suggests much of the public isn't expecting an imminent change.

Yes, it is undoubtedly doing economic damage to the country but then tens of thousands of deaths do that too. It's too early and the UK lacks the testing and contact tracing facilities, as yet, to ease it significantly.

I'm not convinced by long-lens pictures which compress people into seemingly larger groups on tabloid front pages.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:26 - Apr 27 with 806 viewsleitrimblue

This pressure to end the lockdown on 13:11 - Apr 27 by GaryCooper

People have genuinely upvoted this?

Sorry, one of them was me. I just thought it was funny that somebody believed that lockdown could be easily sorted with a few rifle butts to the back of the head. I also think R2d2 is the 2nd least sh1te robot in the hugely rated star wars franchise
This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:35 - Apr 27 with 779 viewsjaykay

This pressure to end the lockdown on 10:24 - Apr 27 by NotSure

It is "very hard" to catch a respiratory disease outdoors.
Someone has to basically cough / sneeze into your face.
You certainly won't catch it by walking past someone 1.5 metres away on the pavement.

It is very funny how people walk in the road, cross the road or back themselves into a hedge when you walk past them.

your second paragraph , didn't you think it was strange that they were doing it to you before the covid outbreak

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:42 - Apr 27 with 773 viewsjeera

This pressure to end the lockdown on 13:11 - Apr 27 by GaryCooper

People have genuinely upvoted this?

I think I may have upvoted, but can't be bothered to go back and check now.

I saw this "What a selfish attitude. Its people like you who will prolong the lockdown" and find it difficult to argue with that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:43 - Apr 27 with 770 viewsjeera

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:19 - Apr 27 by footers

And that call at £3.95 a minute cost how much?

Hmph.

She works in the local shop.

It's a local shop, for local people.

I figure if that age group has grasped such a simple concept it shouldn't be hard for the next generation or 2 up.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 20:48]

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:44 - Apr 27 with 772 viewsDanTheMan

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:25 - Apr 27 by Leaky

You mean they actually broadcasted it on tv. Well I watched it & never saw it mentioned on either the six o'clock news or look Norwich

...no, I told you I looked it up.

Why does it need to be broadcast?

You said they don't report positive stories, and yet they've even reported the story you're talking about.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

This pressure to end the lockdown on 21:10 - Apr 27 with 724 viewsLeaky

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:44 - Apr 27 by DanTheMan

...no, I told you I looked it up.

Why does it need to be broadcast?

You said they don't report positive stories, and yet they've even reported the story you're talking about.

You proved my point, they reported it so well you had to look it up google.
This pressure to end the lockdown on 21:15 - Apr 27 with 719 viewsjeera

This pressure to end the lockdown on 21:10 - Apr 27 by Leaky

You proved my point, they reported it so well you had to look it up google.

You cannot possibly note every piece of news going Leaks.

It took the guy seconds to find the piece you mentioned and if it was reported on the BBC then there will be local articles too.

You're arguing over nothing there tbh.

This pressure to end the lockdown on 21:18 - Apr 27 with 717 viewsSwansea_Blue

This pressure to end the lockdown on 19:05 - Apr 27 by Leaky

Seems to me its coming from our disgusting media. They really have been poor all through this, only high lighting doom & gloom. A lady in Papworth Hospital over came covid-19 & had a heart valve replaced its good news so not reported. I do realise this could a confidentially issue however

Although it didn’t get wide publicity, there's was a case matching that description reported on 21st April. Even made the BBC website with the following picture:

Edit - sorry, I see that already been pointed out. Recovery numbers are also published every day alongside deaths and there have been countless survivor stories.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 21:21]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

This pressure to end the lockdown on 00:14 - Apr 28 with 671 viewsBlueBadger

This pressure to end the lockdown on 09:34 - Apr 27 by NotSure

We only changed our attitude this Saturday after discussions with friends and neighbours.
Still making sacrifices like not visiting the parents and if I caught a cold I'd definitely isolate myself.

No trolling, there's lots of people now ignoring this lockdown. The summers coming, the virus will go away for a few months, so enjoy life and stop worrying.

Tell you what, nominate a member of your household who's willing to die so that you can go down the pub.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This pressure to end the lockdown on 02:32 - Apr 28 with 633 viewsIPS_wich

This pressure to end the lockdown on 20:43 - Apr 27 by jeera

Hmph.

She works in the local shop.

It's a local shop, for local people.

I figure if that age group has grasped such a simple concept it shouldn't be hard for the next generation or 2 up.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 20:48]

I think there is a different generational response going on. Broadly speaking:

- Boomers are generally selfish and have a history of rebelling against the establishment. Although most at risk of dying from COVID, many of the stories of people willfully ignoring social distancing seem to be the over 65s. I know my parents (in their early 70s) have bent the rules as much as possible and are really agitating to know how and when the lockdown is ending.

- Gen X (myself included) tend to be characterised as maligned, cynical and disaffected, but history will show that we have tended to be the innovative entrepreneurs. The vast majority of my friends have been very compliant with the lock down and have just found other ways to go about our lives.

- Gen Y/Millennials are the self-absorbed, attention seeking lot; it doesn't surprise me one bit that they, along with the boomers, are the other generation of people pushing back against the lockdown. How dare society demand that they think of someone other than themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if LetDown was somewhere between 22-36 years old and part of this group.

- This 18 year old shop worker is part of Gen Z (same as my 15 year old) who appear to be much more socially conscious and her attitude would seem to me to be fairly typical of her generation. I haven't heard a word of complaint from my son since the lockdown, despite not being able to catch up with his mates.
This pressure to end the lockdown on 07:04 - Apr 28 with 609 viewsSteve_M

This pressure to end the lockdown on 02:32 - Apr 28 by IPS_wich

- Boomers are generally selfish and have a history of rebelling against the establishment. Although most at risk of dying from COVID, many of the stories of people willfully ignoring social distancing seem to be the over 65s. I know my parents (in their early 70s) have bent the rules as much as possible and are really agitating to know how and when the lockdown is ending.

- Gen X (myself included) tend to be characterised as maligned, cynical and disaffected, but history will show that we have tended to be the innovative entrepreneurs. The vast majority of my friends have been very compliant with the lock down and have just found other ways to go about our lives.

- Gen Y/Millennials are the self-absorbed, attention seeking lot; it doesn't surprise me one bit that they, along with the boomers, are the other generation of people pushing back against the lockdown. How dare society demand that they think of someone other than themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if LetDown was somewhere between 22-36 years old and part of this group.

- This 18 year old shop worker is part of Gen Z (same as my 15 year old) who appear to be much more socially conscious and her attitude would seem to me to be fairly typical of her generation. I haven't heard a word of complaint from my son since the lockdown, despite not being able to catch up with his mates.

Hmmm, or perhaps the differences within each of the generations are as wide as those between them.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This pressure to end the lockdown on 07:24 - Apr 28 with 601 viewsDanTheMan

Funny how your generation appears to be the most compliant and generally amazing.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

This pressure to end the lockdown on 10:55 - Apr 28 with 552 viewsSarge

You’re talking out of your arsehole
This pressure to end the lockdown on 11:04 - Apr 28 with 546 viewsgordon

This is my favourite analysis of Coronavirus so far.
This pressure to end the lockdown on 12:26 - Apr 28 with 513 viewsStokieBlue

Some early data from Germany easing the lockdown so some shops can open:

"Lothar Wieler, president of the Robert Koch Institute, said the virus reproduction rate, dubbed ‘R’, is now at 1.0 in Germany, which means one person with the virus infects one other on average. Earlier this month, the rate was at 0.7.

It comes after Germany eased some of its lockdown restrictions last week, allowing retailers with floor space of up to 800 square metres to re-open, along with car and bicycle dealers, and bookshops."

So in less than a week the r0 has jumped back up to 1 after the lockdowns were eased. It's very early data so can't make a full conclusion but highlights why it has to be considered and planned process in easing the lockdown.

SB
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 12:26]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

This pressure to end the lockdown on 12:52 - Apr 28 with 487 viewsgordon

This pressure to end the lockdown on 12:26 - Apr 28 by StokieBlue

Some early data from Germany easing the lockdown so some shops can open:

"Lothar Wieler, president of the Robert Koch Institute, said the virus reproduction rate, dubbed ‘R’, is now at 1.0 in Germany, which means one person with the virus infects one other on average. Earlier this month, the rate was at 0.7.

It comes after Germany eased some of its lockdown restrictions last week, allowing retailers with floor space of up to 800 square metres to re-open, along with car and bicycle dealers, and bookshops."

So in less than a week the r0 has jumped back up to 1 after the lockdowns were eased. It's very early data so can't make a full conclusion but highlights why it has to be considered and planned process in easing the lockdown.

SB
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 12:26]

It's also massively impressive that they can get data back on changes in the reinfection rate so quickly (assuming that these values are from real infection data and not a proxy taken from e.g. transport use) given that measures were only lifted last week - it means they will get a really good understanding of what affects transmission relatively quickly.

for comparison, in the UK, at the moment anyway, our latest assessment is that reinfection is somewhere between 0.5 and 1.
This pressure to end the lockdown on 16:44 - Apr 28 with 444 viewsjeera

This pressure to end the lockdown on 07:24 - Apr 28 by DanTheMan

Funny how your generation appears to be the most compliant and generally amazing.

Oi. I fit into his generation and I find his analysis spot on.

And I am completely unbiased in every way. Obviously.

By disagreeing you are simply showing your arrogance and therefore proving him right.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024