Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football manager 20 10:13 - Apr 27 with 1135 viewsZakk

Seeing as we are all in lockdown, I’ve been playing a lot of football manager, interested to read other peoples careers on the game..

I started at chippingham, won the national league south, Swindon town offered me a job halfway through the next season, joined them bottom of league 1, didn’t manage to save them unfortunately but got promoted the following season when Ipswich approached me.. they just finished above relegation in the championship, finished 13th first season with them then following year won the league! Starting my third year in the prem, finished 7th and 8th and won the Europa league last year..
Football manager 20 on 11:35 - Apr 27 with 1082 viewsTIB

I've had two weeks off work and tried to get back into it as have not played properly since it was Champ Man 97/98...it became too detailed and time consuming for me but so far I'm enjoying it. Once over the initial hurdle of setting up training, staffing etc it's all good.

I've never been one to start in decent leagues, so I've gone to the Norwegian 3rd Tier with Midsund IL who are expected to battle bravely again relegation. The squad only had two amateur players on my arrival, I've since brought in 18 or so with an ex-Stevenage and Boreham Wood youngster, Jake Knight, being my GK and stats wise he looks good for this level. I took on a trialist striker who had 14 pace and 13 finishing, he scored a hat trick in his debut friendly so he's now signed along with a few other experienced players at this level. I'm just finishing pre-season which started with losses but has ended with a win, draw and a narrow defeat in the cup qualifying. Long range efforts going in has been a real issue but I'm hoping my deadline day signing of a natural deep lying midfielder will sure things up.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Football manager 20 on 11:39 - Apr 27 with 1080 viewsJakeITFC

I started with Ipswich and just last night secured us a 3rd place finish in the Premier League so will have our first taste of Champions League football.

I'm also got the England job last summer, Flynn Downes now a key part of the side (despite the media's protestations) and I won the Nations League and am top of Euros qualifying (having dispatched Finland 10-0 last night).

Of the original squad, only Downes and Woolfenden are still around at the end of the 2026/27 season.
Football manager 20 on 11:44 - Apr 27 with 1076 viewsitfcjoe

I started a game with Wrexham, with a self imposed restriction of only signing Welsh players to try and make it a Basque-style challenge..

First season finished 2nd in the National League, won the play offs
Second season finished 3rd in League 2, won the play offs
Third season finished 3rd in League 1, beat ITFC in the play off final!
Fourth season finished 10th in the Championship
Fifth season finished 17th or 18th in the Championship

I'm struggling to see how to turn it round from here, I have no money, a tiny budget and a pretty weak squad - just hoping to land a couple of decent players this summer and go from there.

It's really difficult getting up the league on this once you hit the second tier, especially with a pointless restriction in place!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Football manager 20 on 12:03 - Apr 27 with 1050 viewstractordownsouth

Football manager 20 on 11:39 - Apr 27 by JakeITFC

I started with Ipswich and just last night secured us a 3rd place finish in the Premier League so will have our first taste of Champions League football.

I'm also got the England job last summer, Flynn Downes now a key part of the side (despite the media's protestations) and I won the Nations League and am top of Euros qualifying (having dispatched Finland 10-0 last night).

Of the original squad, only Downes and Woolfenden are still around at the end of the 2026/27 season.

I haven't played mine in a few weeks. Won L1 at the first attempt, spent a couple of years midtable in the championship before winning the play offs. Got relegated partly due to having under half the budget of every other team. I won the play offs again and finished 16th and 9th so am now a fairly comfortable PL side. Only Downes remains from the originals - I had Woolfenden until quite recently but got rid. None of our real life young players have done anything of note on the game - they're all average Championship players.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Football manager 20 on 12:04 - Apr 27 with 1045 viewsgainsboroughblue

Football manager 20 on 11:44 - Apr 27 by itfcjoe

I started a game with Wrexham, with a self imposed restriction of only signing Welsh players to try and make it a Basque-style challenge..

First season finished 2nd in the National League, won the play offs
Second season finished 3rd in League 2, won the play offs
Third season finished 3rd in League 1, beat ITFC in the play off final!
Fourth season finished 10th in the Championship
Fifth season finished 17th or 18th in the Championship

I'm struggling to see how to turn it round from here, I have no money, a tiny budget and a pretty weak squad - just hoping to land a couple of decent players this summer and go from there.

It's really difficult getting up the league on this once you hit the second tier, especially with a pointless restriction in place!

You must have had an offer of a job or two by now though!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Football manager 20 on 12:07 - Apr 27 with 1040 viewsitfcjoe

Football manager 20 on 12:04 - Apr 27 by gainsboroughblue

You must have had an offer of a job or two by now though!

Yeh, I very nearly took the Swansea job as thought I could continue the Welsh thing there!

Palace offered me a PL job, and a few interesting ones like Forest and Stoke. Got turned down for the Ipswich job 3 times though!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Football manager 20 on 12:09 - Apr 27 with 1039 viewsZakk

Football manager 20 on 11:39 - Apr 27 by JakeITFC

I also took the England job for a few years, won the nations league also, and have just won the World Cup, decided to resign after that to try take Ipswich to the next level, trying to break into the top 6 in the prem is difficult, but after winning the Europa league and being in the champions league this year I had a budget of 88m for transfers so hoping I’ve spent well and can try break in🤷🏻‍♂️
I still have woolfenden but that’s it of the original squad, Flynn downes was sold before I joined, he’s now playing for galatasary or however you spell it 😂
Wolf had also been sold to Newcastle when I arrived for 15m but I picked him back up for 950k
Football manager 20 on 12:17 - Apr 27 with 1023 viewsZakk

Football manager 20 on 12:07 - Apr 27 by itfcjoe

Yeh, I very nearly took the Swansea job as thought I could continue the Welsh thing there!

Palace offered me a PL job, and a few interesting ones like Forest and Stoke. Got turned down for the Ipswich job 3 times though!

I was going to say surely you have a few offers to move on,
I had intended to do a journeyman career but can’t bring myself to leave Ipswich now.. had a few offers from Marseille and Lyon but other than that not anything to really warrant leaving, Leeds have approached me 2-3 times now but if I was going to leave I think I’d like to go abroad to manage maybe french league or German
Login to get fewer ads

Football manager 20 on 12:42 - Apr 27 with 995 viewsKieran_Knows

Started with PSV and still with them now;

2019/2020 - finished 2nd (behind Ajax), won the Dutch Super Cup.
2020/2021 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Super Cup.
2021/2022 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup.
2022/2023 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup.
2023/2024 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup, won the Europa League, season unbeaten
2024/2025 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup, won the European Super Cup, won the Champions League, season unbeaten.

Now half way through 2025/2026. The save was starting to get a little easy but I sold quite a few players the summer just gone, and Ajax spent a fortune and are only a couple of points behind me in the League so it's nice to have challengers again. Trying to now just sign all the best young Dutch talents and sell off my foreign players with the intention of having a squad of 20-25 of just Dutch players.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 12:42]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Football manager 20 on 12:57 - Apr 27 with 973 viewsAce_High1

Football manager 20 on 12:42 - Apr 27 by Kieran_Knows

Started with PSV and still with them now;

2019/2020 - finished 2nd (behind Ajax), won the Dutch Super Cup.
2020/2021 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Super Cup.
2021/2022 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup.
2022/2023 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup.
2023/2024 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup, won the Europa League, season unbeaten
2024/2025 - Won the Eredivisie, won the Dutch Cup, won the Dutch Super Cup, won the European Super Cup, won the Champions League, season unbeaten.

Now half way through 2025/2026. The save was starting to get a little easy but I sold quite a few players the summer just gone, and Ajax spent a fortune and are only a couple of points behind me in the League so it's nice to have challengers again. Trying to now just sign all the best young Dutch talents and sell off my foreign players with the intention of having a squad of 20-25 of just Dutch players.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 12:42]

That brings back some great memories, I had a great PSV save a number of years ago and did similar to you winning the Champs league after a number of seasons.
Football nager 20 on 15:50 - Apr 27 with 890 viewsMelford

Won the play-off final against Blackburn last night. Sneaked into the play-offs on the last day on goal difference, beat QPR over 2 legs. I put a shirt and tie on for the final and sprayed a bottle of lemonade all over the garden Grand Prix style at half twelve this morning. 2 promotions in 2 years.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Football manager 20 on 16:10 - Apr 27 with 867 viewsKievthegreat

1st Season - won L1 at a canter plus the Leasing.com cup
2nd Season - scrapped playoffs ahead of Scum, despite them spending £40m in Jan. Won the playoffs
3rd Season - Just started and got thumped first 3 games. Gonna be a long season I fear, where the double promotion comes back to bite me.
Football manager 20 on 16:16 - Apr 27 with 856 viewsJakeITFC

Football manager 20 on 16:10 - Apr 27 by Kievthegreat

1st Season - won L1 at a canter plus the Leasing.com cup
2nd Season - scrapped playoffs ahead of Scum, despite them spending £40m in Jan. Won the playoffs
3rd Season - Just started and got thumped first 3 games. Gonna be a long season I fear, where the double promotion comes back to bite me.

I just stayed up in my first season in the Prem, I imagine your budget was similar to mine (I had to start Ben Morris first game up) but it does get much easier to compete if you stay up once.
Football manager 20 on 16:19 - Apr 27 with 850 viewsHullblue

Football manager 20 on 12:07 - Apr 27 by itfcjoe

Have you ever tried being Ipswich and only signing players from Suffolk? I was thinking about this the other day - think it’s probably doable once you have a top-botch academy but the second season (hopefully after promotion from league one) would be difficult.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024