Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Accrington Chairman 09:16 - May 16 with 2269 viewstractorboy1978

Going off on one on Twitter again this morning. Getting agreement looks like it's going to be extremely difficult - not sure how any solution is going to get the required support unless the EFL can obtain money and sweeten the deal for the smaller clubs in the league.
Accrington Chairman on 09:23 - May 16 with 2233 viewsitfcjoe

If there is someway that an independent body (EFL, FA, PFA, EPL) can pay for the testing and cleaning processes then that makes a big difference.

ANdy Holt can't seem to see that his attitude on this and looking out for his team first and foremost is no different to what the other chairman are doing.

It's going to cost Accrington more money if the games are played - ergo they don't want to play them

It's going to cost ITFC more money to not play the games (and ends any hope of promotion) - ergo we do want to play them.

Why should ITFC, Sunderland, Pompey, Posh accept losing more money just because Accrington don't want to lose more money? We are all hardly swimming in cash at this level as it is

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Accrington Chairman on 09:34 - May 16 with 2187 viewstractorboy1978

Accrington Chairman on 09:23 - May 16 by itfcjoe

If there is someway that an independent body (EFL, FA, PFA, EPL) can pay for the testing and cleaning processes then that makes a big difference.

ANdy Holt can't seem to see that his attitude on this and looking out for his team first and foremost is no different to what the other chairman are doing.

It's going to cost Accrington more money if the games are played - ergo they don't want to play them

It's going to cost ITFC more money to not play the games (and ends any hope of promotion) - ergo we do want to play them.

Why should ITFC, Sunderland, Pompey, Posh accept losing more money just because Accrington don't want to lose more money? We are all hardly swimming in cash at this level as it is

Yes, he's blinded by his own self interest (which every club and owner has!). There is no altruism in football.
Accrington Chairman on 09:39 - May 16 with 2167 viewsITFC_Forever

And due to the large difference in size between the bigger and smaller clubs in L1, that’s why we have the stalemate.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Accrington Chairman on 09:46 - May 16 with 2140 viewstractorboy1978

Accrington Chairman on 09:39 - May 16 by ITFC_Forever

And due to the large difference in size between the bigger and smaller clubs in L1, that’s why we have the stalemate.

We are looking at season ticket refunds alone in the region of £750k if this season doesn't complete. Whereas Accrington are looking at around £75k. That's before even thinking about variations in corporate/shirt sponsorships etc.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 9:57]
Accrington Chairman on 10:23 - May 16 with 2025 viewsChrisd

Equally, why should Accrington put themselves in a difficult financial situation because ourselves and a few other clubs want to finish the season? Apparently, 60% of L1 sides don’t want to finish the season. Are you telling me their owners haven’t compared the cost of finishing the season to one that is just concluded like L2?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Accrington Chairman on 10:24 - May 16 with 2018 viewsitfcjoe

Accrington Chairman on 10:23 - May 16 by Chrisd

Equally, why should Accrington put themselves in a difficult financial situation because ourselves and a few other clubs want to finish the season? Apparently, 60% of L1 sides don’t want to finish the season. Are you telling me their owners haven’t compared the cost of finishing the season to one that is just concluded like L2?

I'm not saying they should, but he claims others are merely looking out for themselves only and claiming sporting integrity when it is just about the money - and can't see that he is doing exactly the same thing.

Accrington Chairman on 10:34 - May 16 with 1986 viewspointofblue

I think the difference is, whilst there is no doubt the six will lose money, they won’t go out of business over it. If Accrington are ordered to restart the season then they won’t be able to pay the rates. giant_ullaa said something to me when I was pointing out Stuart Webber’s probable hypocrisy earlier in the week - at least, for all his faults, we do have a benefactor who can sustain the club through this. Many don’t.

The one thing which needs clarity is who supports the clubs through loss of earnings. Will their be further Premier League remuneration? Will Sky let teams keep he cash? Will the repayment season ticket costs and sponsorship deals have to forked out by the clubs?

If we weren’t so awful for so long then we’d be sitting in the top two and would now doubt be far less concerned about the season restarting if PPG, weighted or otherwise, came into play. We brought this on ourselves and those inside the club have to accept the position we’re in.

Saying that my position has always been the season needs to finish. In all likelihood 2020/2021 is going to be disrupted by Covid-19 at some point anyway so why not make sure one season is completed rather than two which are interrupted?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Accrington Chairman on 10:35 - May 16 with 1981 viewsChrisd

Accrington Chairman on 10:24 - May 16 by itfcjoe

I'm not saying they should, but he claims others are merely looking out for themselves only and claiming sporting integrity when it is just about the money - and can't see that he is doing exactly the same thing.

It’s always been about the money, which I said weeks ago, but he’s got a good point. For clubs to be put in an even more difficult financial position than they are already and threaten their existence, that’s his angle.

Login to get fewer ads

Accrington Chairman on 10:35 - May 16 with 1979 viewspointofblue

Accrington Chairman on 10:23 - May 16 by Chrisd

A report in the Bristol Telegraph states eleven clubs want to finish the season so less than 60% do.

Accrington Chairman on 10:38 - May 16 with 1972 viewsHerbivore

Accrington Chairman on 09:46 - May 16 by tractorboy1978

We are looking at season ticket refunds alone in the region of £750k if this season doesn't complete. Whereas Accrington are looking at around £75k. That's before even thinking about variations in corporate/shirt sponsorships etc.

I'm not expecting the club to refund season tickets if the season is cancelled.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Accrington Chairman on 10:39 - May 16 with 1969 viewsChrisd

Accrington Chairman on 10:35 - May 16 by pointofblue

A report in the Bristol Telegraph states eleven clubs want to finish the season so less than 60% do.

I got that 60% from listening to reports after yesterday’s L1 meeting. So could be wrong.

Accrington Chairman on 10:41 - May 16 with 1960 viewspointofblue

Accrington Chairman on 10:39 - May 16 by Chrisd

I got that 60% from listening to reports after yesterday’s L1 meeting. So could be wrong.

I think the starting belief was Fleetwood, Town, Posh, Pompey, Oxford and Sunderland were the only six who wanted to finish so it seems to be changing all the time.

Accrington Chairman on 10:43 - May 16 with 1950 viewstractorboy1978

Accrington Chairman on 10:38 - May 16 by Herbivore

I'm not expecting the club to refund season tickets if the season is cancelled.

Legally I have no idea where the club stand. Not offering would be pretty poor PR though and the club has to budget for that. If people choose not to take it then fair enough.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 10:44]
Accrington Chairman on 10:44 - May 16 with 1947 viewsitfcjoe

Accrington Chairman on 10:34 - May 16 by pointofblue

I think the difference is, whilst there is no doubt the six will lose money, they won’t go out of business over it. If Accrington are ordered to restart the season then they won’t be able to pay the rates. giant_ullaa said something to me when I was pointing out Stuart Webber’s probable hypocrisy earlier in the week - at least, for all his faults, we do have a benefactor who can sustain the club through this. Many don’t.

The one thing which needs clarity is who supports the clubs through loss of earnings. Will their be further Premier League remuneration? Will Sky let teams keep he cash? Will the repayment season ticket costs and sponsorship deals have to forked out by the clubs?

If we weren’t so awful for so long then we’d be sitting in the top two and would now doubt be far less concerned about the season restarting if PPG, weighted or otherwise, came into play. We brought this on ourselves and those inside the club have to accept the position we’re in.

Saying that my position has always been the season needs to finish. In all likelihood 2020/2021 is going to be disrupted by Covid-19 at some point anyway so why not make sure one season is completed rather than two which are interrupted?

Not all the 6 clubs have a benefactor, and that's not really a fair reason.

MacAnthoney thinks Posh will lose £400k (and a potential promotion), Holt thinks Accrington will lose £150k.

It's not the big clubs fault that £150k will put them out of business, and it is up to the authroities to help with that.

Realistically Accrington are a non league club punching above their weight, and whilst I'd never want any club to go bust, and agree they need help and will hopefully get it - I don't see why their losses are more important than other teams making losses

Accrington Chairman on 10:52 - May 16 with 1914 viewsChrisd

Accrington Chairman on 10:44 - May 16 by itfcjoe

MacAnthoney thinks Posh will lose £400k (and a potential promotion), Holt thinks Accrington will lose £150k.

It's not the big clubs fault that £150k will put them out of business, and it is up to the authroities to help with that.

Realistically Accrington are a non league club punching above their weight, and whilst I'd never want any club to go bust, and agree they need help and will hopefully get it - I don't see why their losses are more important than other teams making losses

6 teams losses from a league of 23 clubs? It’s all relative to their own situations and finances. You could argue there are a few L1 clubs currently that are L2 in structure, why should they be bullied out of existence because they are punching above their weight?
[Post edited 16 May 2020 10:55]

Accrington Chairman on 10:53 - May 16 with 1908 viewspointofblue

Accrington Chairman on 10:44 - May 16 by itfcjoe

The benefactor point is true, and if it’s extended to the reported eleven and would be even more the case. But they do have relatively strong fan bases and good support in the local area; at least the named six do.

Isn’t 150k the cost of the Covid-19 tests alone? Even MacAnthony says he thinks continuing the season will cost around 500k, albeit with Accrington it will no doubt be less than that due to lower wages.

Whilst I understand your point there is a difference to clubs covering losses and being able to survive and clubs covering losses and going bankrupt in the process. As a collective the clubs punching above their weight should be supported and applauded rather than being tough tough though I admit it’d help if Andy Holt wasn’t quite so blind in one eye and holier than thought over the whole situation.

Accrington Chairman on 10:59 - May 16 with 1879 viewsitfcjoe

Accrington Chairman on 10:53 - May 16 by pointofblue

The benefactor point is true, and if it’s extended to the reported eleven and would be even more the case. But they do have relatively strong fan bases and good support in the local area; at least the named six do.

Isn’t 150k the cost of the Covid-19 tests alone? Even MacAnthony says he thinks continuing the season will cost around 500k, albeit with Accrington it will no doubt be less than that due to lower wages.

Whilst I understand your point there is a difference to clubs covering losses and being able to survive and clubs covering losses and going bankrupt in the process. As a collective the clubs punching above their weight should be supported and applauded rather than being tough tough though I admit it’d help if Andy Holt wasn’t quite so blind in one eye and holier than thought over the whole situation.

Basically Accrington are all on furlough and Holt is happy to leave them there until they can start getting money in through the gates, which is next season potentially. If they can't get money through the gates then their budget will be slashed to suit and they will be paying players part time to play for them.

That's a million miles away from where we and other clubs are.

Even if EFL pay for the tests and the cleaning at £150k, he still has to bring players back off furlough and start playing them.

Many clubs in this league are too big to be mothballed for a few months, that isn't their fault in the same way it isn't in wider industry

Accrington Chairman on 11:00 - May 16 with 1877 viewsKropotkin123

Trying to be objective here.

Promotion
Coventry are five points clear with a game in hand over their top-six rivals and have been in good form. I think they are fine going up automatically. That leaves 2 places and the top from 2-9 anyone could have realistically got promoted.

I propose a Bracket play-off system. An upper and lower bracket system gives the chance for a team in the upper bracket to lose one game, and still get promoted. This reflects their current advantage.

So the upper bracket would be positions 2-5 and lower bracket would be positions 6-9

Round 1
Game A: 2v5
Game B: 3v4
------------------
Game C: 6v9
Game D: 7v8

- The winner of Game A and B play off for promotion slot 1
- The winner of Game C and D will play the loser of Game A and B
- The loser of Game C and Game D are out
- The loser of Game A and B are relegated to the lower bracket

Round 2
Game E: Game A winner v Game B winner
--------------------------------------------------------
Game F: Game A Loser v Game C winner
Game G: Game B Loser v Game D winner

- The winner of Game E is promoted as Upper bracket winner
- The winner of Game F and G play each other
- The loser of Game E are through to the final of the lower Bracket
- The loser of game F and G are eliminated.

Round 3
Game H: Game F winner v Game G winner

- The winner of Game H through to lower bracket final
- The loser of Game H eliminated

Round 4
Game I: Game H winner v Game E loser

- The winner is promoted as lower bracket winner
- The loser is eliminated

Relegation
Bolton and Southend are realistically relegated.

I propose a bracket system for 19-21

Round 1
Game A: 19v20

- The winner is safe
- The loser falls into the lower bracket

Round 2
Game B: Game A loser v 21

- The winner is safe
- The Loser is relegated

Departing Thoughts
With these brackets, there is a clear sense of reward for where you currently are. A team like Rotherham can be promoted if they win two in a row, they also get a second chance.

A team like Doncaster would have to win 4 games to win promotion and cannot lose

A team like Tranmere one shot at staying up, whereas a team like Rochdale have 2 shots at staying up.

You see these types of bracket systems in online gaming competitions and they work well.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 11:02]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Accrington Chairman on 11:02 - May 16 with 1860 viewsEly_Blue

Accrington Chairman on 10:52 - May 16 by Chrisd

6 teams losses from a league of 23 clubs? It’s all relative to their own situations and finances. You could argue there are a few L1 clubs currently that are L2 in structure, why should they be bullied out of existence because they are punching above their weight?
[Post edited 16 May 2020 10:55]

But likewise why should clubs who are punching below their weight be bullied by the smaller clubs? Surely the only ones who probably don’t care are the ones who will always be perfect L1 clubs and would be punching above their weight if they went to the championship (people like Luton etc)

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Accrington Chairman on 13:11 - May 16 with 1591 viewspatrickswell

Accrington Chairman on 09:46 - May 16 by tractorboy1978

Surely Accrington must have 75 grand still kicking about given how much cash their benefactor, Paul Hurst, bestowed on them.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 13:12]
Accrington Chairman on 13:49 - May 16 with 1502 viewsronnyd

Accrington Chairman on 13:11 - May 16 by patrickswell

Surely Accrington must have 75 grand still kicking about given how much cash their benefactor, Paul Hurst, bestowed on them.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 13:12]

Think that's all been spent on ground improvements.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024