Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can lockdown ever recover? 10:32 - May 31 with 3875 viewsBluefish

it is officially dead due to a catalogue of incidents. It started with VE Day, it was virtually encouraged to push the rules and various dodgy information was fed to the press and not corrected, we then had the vague messages from the government in the easing and the complete stopping of enforcement of the rules. The Cummings story took it to a new level and now the rules being demolished even further means it is dead in its current form. Will it ever be possible to get the country to comply again? Certain parts of the population have ignored it throughout and it hadnt been enforced, i can't see a 2nd attempt being adhered to

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:02 - May 31 with 766 viewsGuthrum

Can lockdown ever recover? on 11:21 - May 31 by sparks

The WsM thign does appear to be focussed around an accomodation block. The problem is, with the relxation now happening, it will be very easy for such instances to get out and about very quickly.

The discrepancy between the effectiveness of our lockdown and those in France, or Spain for instance, concerns me greatly.

I'm not sure our lockdown has been much less effective than those in France and Spain, in terms of the steepness of the "down slope" of the daily new deaths curve.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:03 - May 31 with 765 viewsPlums

Can lockdown ever recover? on 12:42 - May 31 by Pinewoodblue

People are using a loss of trust in the government as an excuse. If you really don’t trust the government when they ease the lockdown stay at home.

Sorry but that’s nonsense. In the first few weeks people were paying attention and broadly abiding by the rules. The obfuscation, confused messaging and now the Cummings affair combined with some frankly bizarre decision making that’s contrary to the science means the consensus has been lost - and won’t be regained. They have abandoned control. Scotland and Wales have had clear, enforceable messaging and aren’t suffering the sh1tshow that BJ and his cronies have created.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:15 - May 31 with 745 viewsGuthrum

Can lockdown ever recover? on 11:03 - May 31 by Bluefish

It doesn't exist for parts of cities and hasn't for a long time, if ever. I manage a local park so view the cctv daily, there are mass congregations every day. In the evenings we have car fulls in the car park and last week one evening this spilled into a fight involving 15-20 people. The police were called and duly arrived, not only did they do nothing about the fight they didn't even do anything about the volume of people. The police left and the gathering continued.

Yes, there will always be sections of society who would be deterred by nothing short of the army on the streets with shoot-to-kill orders. But there are evidently enough people complying for the lockdown to have had an effect.

The daily deaths curve rises very steeply up to the middle of April - about three weeks after lockdown (which is just a little over the delay one would expect*, given how long the disease takes to develop), then markedly turns and begins to steadily decline. It worked.

Nobody has yet been able to find any other correlation which might otherwise explain the halting of Covid-19's advance and its subsequent retreat.

*Tho there was a bit of a double-peak and some of the delay might be down to reporting times.

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:20 - May 31 with 736 viewsBarcaBlue

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:02 - May 31 by Guthrum

I'm not sure our lockdown has been much less effective than those in France and Spain, in terms of the steepness of the "down slope" of the daily new deaths curve.

It's really difficult to compare as there's important differences in how deaths are counted, and recording changes made here last week, but looking at trends alone, I'd say there's a difference in slopes

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

I'm sure these trends and numbers are vague and I wouldn't be surpised to see conflicting data.
Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:33 - May 31 with 725 viewsGuthrum

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:20 - May 31 by BarcaBlue

It's really difficult to compare as there's important differences in how deaths are counted, and recording changes made here last week, but looking at trends alone, I'd say there's a difference in slopes

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

I'm sure these trends and numbers are vague and I wouldn't be surpised to see conflicting data.

Yes, only looking a broad trends, not specific numbers.

The different scales on those daily death curves make them look more different than they actually are (as does the UK's reporting dip every weekend and compensating peak on the Monday). If anything, Spain's reduction slope is slightly shallower (i.e. slower) than the UK's. But the UK still has a long way to go before it reaches the stage Spain is at now.

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:48 - May 31 with 705 viewsPinewoodblue

Can lockdown ever recover? on 13:03 - May 31 by Plums

Sorry but that’s nonsense. In the first few weeks people were paying attention and broadly abiding by the rules. The obfuscation, confused messaging and now the Cummings affair combined with some frankly bizarre decision making that’s contrary to the science means the consensus has been lost - and won’t be regained. They have abandoned control. Scotland and Wales have had clear, enforceable messaging and aren’t suffering the sh1tshow that BJ and his cronies have created.

You have repeated my comment but using more words.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Can lockdown ever recover? on 14:30 - May 31 with 685 viewsNthQldITFC

At the moment the herd is a bit bored and frisky, and many of the outliers are looking around thinking perhaps the worst of the danger has passed so maybe they can go for a gallop into the next valley, or gallivant about the watering hole en masse. After all, plenty of other gnus are doing it.

It'll only be when the next, bigger pack of wolves appears over the horizon that the herd will realise that the threat has not gone away, and it's time to bunch up again, and hope for immunity or for a clever gnu to come up with a vaccine.

What a crap analogy!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Can lockdown ever recover? on 14:33 - May 31 with 678 viewsgiant_stow

Can lockdown ever recover? on 14:30 - May 31 by NthQldITFC

At the moment the herd is a bit bored and frisky, and many of the outliers are looking around thinking perhaps the worst of the danger has passed so maybe they can go for a gallop into the next valley, or gallivant about the watering hole en masse. After all, plenty of other gnus are doing it.

It'll only be when the next, bigger pack of wolves appears over the horizon that the herd will realise that the threat has not gone away, and it's time to bunch up again, and hope for immunity or for a clever gnu to come up with a vaccine.

What a crap analogy!

Not bad, I thought!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Can lockdown ever recover? on 14:40 - May 31 with 668 viewsNthQldITFC

Can lockdown ever recover? on 14:33 - May 31 by giant_stow

Not bad, I thought!

Thanks. It's just that the bunching up again bit doesn't really cut the mustard.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Can lockdown ever recover? on 17:18 - May 31 with 621 viewsronnyd

Can lockdown ever recover? on 14:40 - May 31 by NthQldITFC

Thanks. It's just that the bunching up again bit doesn't really cut the mustard.

Is the mustard to compliment your gnu burger?
Can lockdown ever recover? on 17:36 - May 31 with 611 viewsShawsey

If my experience today is anything to go by, it is over. Went for a walk along the canal. People on bikes just going down the middle, no attempt to stop and observe social distancing. The same can be said for the many families walking and playing wherever they wanted. At the weir, people were just playing in the water, all together. They had to climb 4 security fences to get there. The fences had massive signs on them saying "The WEIR Is Closed". We turned around, others just threw their back packs over and climbed the fence. Shocking behaviour. We won't be going that way anytime soon.
Can lockdown ever recover? on 19:48 - May 31 with 574 viewsjas0999

The issue isn’t now, it’s in October/November when the virus returns with a vengeance. It will. It’s not gone away. It’s just like any other virus - rife in the winter months. Can’t see folk accepting a second long lockdown.
Can lockdown ever recover? on 19:54 - May 31 with 565 viewsBluefish

Can lockdown ever recover? on 19:48 - May 31 by jas0999

The issue isn’t now, it’s in October/November when the virus returns with a vengeance. It will. It’s not gone away. It’s just like any other virus - rife in the winter months. Can’t see folk accepting a second long lockdown.

That is what I mean though. People habe gradually tested the repercussions and realised that there aren't any. The next lockdown will be ignored. I predict my work will return properly in January if we have no further spikes, if we have another one then work will he destroyed fot amother year

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Can lockdown ever recover? on 20:08 - May 31 with 549 viewsBluesquid

Can lockdown ever recover? on 19:48 - May 31 by jas0999

It's not a winter virus though just look at Brazil that has the fourth largest death toll according to the BBC.

For the UK and the US for that matter with all that is going on with mass gatherings and people generally flouting the regulations (for weeks aswell) the issue is very much NOW and the inevitable second wave because it is only a matter of time before it hits.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024