Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 10 political leaders of all time? 11:01 - Jun 14 with 8052 viewsRyorry

Prompted by a question from VT on Shawsey's NZ thread, who would yours be? Leaders of country, party or movement. Mine -

1. Nelson Mandela
2. Mahatma Gandhi
3. Martin Luther King
4. Winston Churchill
5. Franklin D. Roosevelt
6. Keir Hardie
7. Harold Wilson
8. Mikhall Gorbachev
9. Jacinda Ardern
10. Open for choice of wildcards - Greta Thunberg (OK, not politician, but trying to influence all current & future politicians on biggest threat to humankind); Salvador Allende (heroic failure?); Benazir Bhutto (flawed, but then aren't most?); John Smith, the late Labour Party leader.

Although I said "of all time", my own historical knowedge isn't really up to doing that, so I've stuck to 20th & 21st centuries. If Guthers or anyone else wants to bump mine down the list with Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great or whoever, feel free!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 15:36 - Jun 14 with 2496 viewsjaykay

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:36 - Jun 14 by solemio

Harold Wilson? Why?

1966. won the general election in march and then 30th july that year england won the world cup.
1967 68 season ipswich were promoted to the top league in england as champions of the old 2nd division. all under harold wilson

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 15:41 - Jun 14 with 2486 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 15:09 - Jun 14 by Guthrum

Interesting question - particularly by what criteria you categorise a leader as "top".

Do you consider someone like Athelstan, who basically forged a stable, unified England, or his grandfather Alfred, who beat the Vikings and did a lot to promote English as a written language?

Guiseppe Garibaldi was one of the most influential figures of his day. International revolutionary, partly responsible for achieving Italian unification. But also flawed and with a string of failures to his name, often resulting in considerable repression and loss of life.

Will have to have a think (not got time just now).

His biscuits were a great legacy too.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 17:15 - Jun 14 with 2436 viewsShawsey

My politics isn't up to much, but I would say that is a pretty good list. I haven't looked at the other posts yet, so there might be a few in there, but for starters, I would go with that.
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 17:38 - Jun 14 with 2419 viewsgordon

Vaclav Havel would be top of my list. He had an extraordinary life & political career. I lived in Prague when I was younger and he was more or less universally loved (in Czechia at least, perhaps less so in Slovakia!).
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:01 - Jun 14 with 2404 viewsuefacup81

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:21 - Jun 14 by footers

Genghis Khan must be in with a shout here.

Certainly the only leader (to my mind at least) to have had a dodgy 1970s Eurovision song about him/her:

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:08 - Jun 14 with 2392 viewsbluelagos

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:01 - Jun 14 by uefacup81

Certainly the only leader (to my mind at least) to have had a dodgy 1970s Eurovision song about him/her:

Just googled that - and it came 4th.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:29 - Jun 14 with 2368 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 17:38 - Jun 14 by gordon

Vaclav Havel would be top of my list. He had an extraordinary life & political career. I lived in Prague when I was younger and he was more or less universally loved (in Czechia at least, perhaps less so in Slovakia!).

Oh yes, for sure - I'll give myself a slap on the wrists for forgetting about him - I wouldn't put him in my #1 slot, but in top 10 for sure (so out go all my previous possibilities at #10). Was a wonderful writer as well. I'm going to stretch my rules! & give him a shared spot with another I'd forgotten about - Lech Walesa.

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:31 - Jun 14 with 2368 viewssolemio

Interesting question - particularly by what criteria you categorise a leader as "top".

Do you consider someone like Athelstan, who basically forged a stable, unified England, or his grandfather Alfred, who beat the Vikings and did a lot to promote English as a written language?

Guiseppe Garibaldi was one of the most influential figures of his day. International revolutionary, partly responsible for achieving Italian unification. But also flawed and with a string of failures to his name, often resulting in considerable repression and loss of life.

The real architect of Italian unification (Risorgimento) wasn't Garibaldi. It was Cavour - Count Camillo Benso di Cavour.

Incidentally, oddly the place where Mandela is least highly thought of currently appears to be South Africa.
Login to get fewer ads

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:36 - Jun 14 with 2360 viewsRyorry

Yep, guess I shoulda defined what I meant by "best", but sort of got round to it in my reply to Zombies at 13.21 on p2. In short, subtract their flaws from their widest & deepest positive achievements & legacies, then look at what's left that's good/great & lasting.

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:38 - Jun 14 with 2357 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:31 - Jun 14 by solemio

The real architect of Italian unification (Risorgimento) wasn't Garibaldi. It was Cavour - Count Camillo Benso di Cavour.

Incidentally, oddly the place where Mandela is least highly thought of currently appears to be South Africa.

Just a question of prophets in their own countries etc? or..?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:43 - Jun 14 with 2344 viewssolemio

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:38 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

Just a question of prophets in their own countries etc? or..?

Possibly partly, but there seems to be a general feeling that he was too accommodating to the white South Africans after he became president. There may of course be many other factors that I'm unaware of.
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 19:45 - Jun 14 with 2321 viewsistanblue

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:19 - Jun 14 by Wacko

I think Ataturk could go in there, as one of the most successful leaders to bring their country away from colonial powers. And also for his secular reforms. He also seemed to be universally acclaimed (except by people who called him a Mason and a homosexual..) even by his rivals

No doubt he is revered in Turkey where he has achieved almost god-like status, but like most historical leaders there are parts of his legacy that are deeply troubling. He condoned the use of torture for those that rebelled against him, and he is arguably directly responsible for the Dersim massacre that saw the murder and ethnic cleansing of the Alevi and Zaza peoples from Dersim - some argue it was a genocide. Armenians also see him as continuing the policies of the Three Pashas by ethnically cleansing the Armenian population out of Anatolia. That's not to denigrate the good things he did, just that there were also bad things as well.
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 19:54 - Jun 14 with 2312 viewsWD19

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:08 - Jun 14 by bluelagos

Not sure what all the hoo ha is about to be honest.
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 20:14 - Jun 14 with 2293 viewsEwan_Oozami

Charlemagne
Constantine
Bismarck
Amonhotep III
Sitting Bull
Alexander The Great
Pitt The Younger
De Gaulle
Lech Walesa
Vaclav Havel

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 20:30 - Jun 14 with 2283 viewsvapour_trail

I had to edit my response in the NZ thread.

I believed it to be a statement of such ridiculousness as to warrant a challenge. But then I remembered not to engage with the op.

For me. Michael Collins. Not well studied in our schools, as is the case with all those we killed.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 20:35]

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 21:29 - Jun 14 with 2253 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 20:30 - Jun 14 by vapour_trail

I had to edit my response in the NZ thread.

I believed it to be a statement of such ridiculousness as to warrant a challenge. But then I remembered not to engage with the op.

For me. Michael Collins. Not well studied in our schools, as is the case with all those we killed.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 20:35]

"Then I remembered not to engage with the OP"

Yet you did, and asked me a question. So I politely replied, and started this thread as a proper response.

Then you came onto this thread that numerous others seem to find very interesting, just to "engage" with me again, in order to have your customary pop.

Just put me on ignore please, something I've asked you to do before (more than once iirc) but you refused. If you actually didn't want to "engage" with me, why won't you do that? It's pretty simple really, you'd then be spared seeing anything I've written & wouldn't get so angry & upset about it.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 21:43]

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 21:37 - Jun 14 with 2243 viewsClapham_Junction

Not an exhaustive list, but a few I've read about and think they had a significantly positive impact in their respective societies (and haven't been mentioned yet). although in several cases, their work was subsequently undone.

William Porter - wrote the Cape Colony constitution in the 1850s, which gave Africans the right to vote on the same basis as Europeans

Mohammed Zahir Shah - significantly liberalised Afghanistan during his period as king.

Garfield Todd - as Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia, he pushed for improved rights for the African population.

José Figueres Ferrer - abolished the Costa Rican army and introduced several other progressive reforms

Kamisese Mara - managed to delicately balance the race issue in Fiji, which fell apart after his party lost the 1987 elections

Seretse Khama - one of the very few post-independence African leader not to become a dictator or kleptocrat

More recently, I very much admired the way José Mujica conducted himself as president of Uruguay.

Thomas Sankara introduced some very good reforms in Burkina Faso, but was tainted with the associated violence. Similarly, a few recent presidents in South America introduced much needed social programmes, but blotted their copybooks with corruption and/or attempts to cling onto power (although it's not clear how much of that is manufactured by the opposition).
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 21:45 - Jun 14 with 2236 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 21:37 - Jun 14 by Clapham_Junction

Not an exhaustive list, but a few I've read about and think they had a significantly positive impact in their respective societies (and haven't been mentioned yet). although in several cases, their work was subsequently undone.

William Porter - wrote the Cape Colony constitution in the 1850s, which gave Africans the right to vote on the same basis as Europeans

Mohammed Zahir Shah - significantly liberalised Afghanistan during his period as king.

Garfield Todd - as Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia, he pushed for improved rights for the African population.

José Figueres Ferrer - abolished the Costa Rican army and introduced several other progressive reforms

Kamisese Mara - managed to delicately balance the race issue in Fiji, which fell apart after his party lost the 1987 elections

Seretse Khama - one of the very few post-independence African leader not to become a dictator or kleptocrat

More recently, I very much admired the way José Mujica conducted himself as president of Uruguay.

Thomas Sankara introduced some very good reforms in Burkina Faso, but was tainted with the associated violence. Similarly, a few recent presidents in South America introduced much needed social programmes, but blotted their copybooks with corruption and/or attempts to cling onto power (although it's not clear how much of that is manufactured by the opposition).

Interesting, will try to read up a bit on all those - thanks.

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 21:50 - Jun 14 with 2231 viewsjeera

Feargus O'Connor.

William Lovett.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 21:59 - Jun 14 with 2223 viewsGuthrum

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:31 - Jun 14 by solemio

Altho Garibaldi's antics (the 1849 Siege of Rome, his invasion of Sicily) did give Cavour a lot of useful leverage - as the sane and establishment alternative.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 08:34 - Jun 15 with 2131 viewsWeWereZombies

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 14:40 - Jun 14 by bluelagos

I'd be looking for leaders who fundamentally changed the world in a positive way.

As such, I'd be looking for a suffragette (Pankhurst?) and someone who ended slavery (Lincoln?). Guess Karl Marx would be too controversial given how many communist regimes ended up.

I wouldn't suggest Marx as he was a theorist rather than a practitioner, so you are left with a choice between Lenin, Mao Zedong, Fidel Castro, Ho Chi Minh etc. as those who were able to take Marxist theory and apply it to the revolutionary situations they managed.

Lenin made the biggest impact in World politics but did not last long, and you wouldn't want to put Stalin up as the political leader who got the best out of the franchise.

Ho Chi Minh played a long game and eventually brought off a David versus Goliath style victory but as far as I can see Vietnam has become quite mercenary and capitalist in recent years (although I have yet to visit so I cannot really make a judgement).

Which leaves Mao and Fidel - Mao had the longest lasting and most extensive revolution but broke an awful lot of eggs making that omelette, however it is an ongoing process that may yet turn out better than expected. I can only really vouch for Cuba when it comes down to it as it is the only state of the four that I have been to. Universal health care, decent life expectancy, plenty of food and apparently self sufficient. And of course great music and dance. Just don't diss Fidel or his successors...
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 9:40]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 09:35 - Jun 15 with 2110 viewsuefacup81

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 18:08 - Jun 14 by bluelagos

Robbed!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:53 - Jun 15 with 2080 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 08:34 - Jun 15 by WeWereZombies

I wouldn't suggest Marx as he was a theorist rather than a practitioner, so you are left with a choice between Lenin, Mao Zedong, Fidel Castro, Ho Chi Minh etc. as those who were able to take Marxist theory and apply it to the revolutionary situations they managed.

Lenin made the biggest impact in World politics but did not last long, and you wouldn't want to put Stalin up as the political leader who got the best out of the franchise.

Ho Chi Minh played a long game and eventually brought off a David versus Goliath style victory but as far as I can see Vietnam has become quite mercenary and capitalist in recent years (although I have yet to visit so I cannot really make a judgement).

Which leaves Mao and Fidel - Mao had the longest lasting and most extensive revolution but broke an awful lot of eggs making that omelette, however it is an ongoing process that may yet turn out better than expected. I can only really vouch for Cuba when it comes down to it as it is the only state of the four that I have been to. Universal health care, decent life expectancy, plenty of food and apparently self sufficient. And of course great music and dance. Just don't diss Fidel or his successors...
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 9:40]

You mentioned flaws earlier, esp the Bengali Famine re M. Ghandi - I seem to remember reading in the 1960s of F. Castro committing some pretty dire human rights atrocities ...

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 12:21 - Jun 15 with 2063 viewseastangliaisblue

For a current leader, the king of Bhutan would probably make mine. He seems to have his priorities right. Worth giving a google if anyone is interested.
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 12:26 - Jun 15 with 2056 viewsWeWereZombies

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:53 - Jun 15 by Ryorry

You mentioned flaws earlier, esp the Bengali Famine re M. Ghandi - I seem to remember reading in the 1960s of F. Castro committing some pretty dire human rights atrocities ...

Like Churchill and Mao, he got the job done and was not too fussed who got hurt on the way. But just about everyone around them knew that was the way it was and therefore kept their own council. It is people further away from the top table who suffer the most. I accept that Churchill was not in the game of disappearing rivals in the way that Mao, Stalin, various Argentine and Chilean despots were, not even into the extreme discouragement that Castro and Tito indulged in (I heard a tale about the Tito tactic of moving your desk out of your office and into the basement being imitated by Robert Maxwell except that the guy's desk was put in a lift at Mirror Group).

Will Churchill ever be vindicated over the two to three million deaths that resulted in taking food from Bengal and sending it to Burma and Singapore? The Wikipedia page seems to expand every time I look at it and further charges of complicity on Churchill's part are being laid, also the time frame is shifting from the winter of 1941 to 1943. Other troubling incidents are the bombing of Dublin being allowed to go ahead so that the Luftwaffe did not realise their systems were being interfered with by Bletchley Park and the abandonment of the 51st Highland Division in the lead up to the Dunkirk evacuation; but these have justifications from the point of view of military tactics.

What we can take away from the Bengal famine, rather than the propaganda gift that it was for the Mahatma and other proponents of Indian independence, is the doctrine put forward by Amartya Sen (and that had similarities to the distibutivism ideas of G.K. Chesterton and some other Catholic thinkers) that there is never any need for famine when the mechanics of food distribution can be employed to best advantage. One tragic example is the Ethiopian famine of 1985 which was of a fairly standard level for that state and could have been alleviated with few casualties by normal avenues of aid, however the Marxist dictator (who is said to have murdered Haile Selassie - another name to consider for the list) was so resistant to outside help that over a million died as a result.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 12:37]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024