Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 10 political leaders of all time? 11:01 - Jun 14 with 7949 viewsRyorry

Prompted by a question from VT on Shawsey's NZ thread, who would yours be? Leaders of country, party or movement. Mine -

1. Nelson Mandela
2. Mahatma Gandhi
3. Martin Luther King
4. Winston Churchill
5. Franklin D. Roosevelt
6. Keir Hardie
7. Harold Wilson
8. Mikhall Gorbachev
9. Jacinda Ardern
10. Open for choice of wildcards - Greta Thunberg (OK, not politician, but trying to influence all current & future politicians on biggest threat to humankind); Salvador Allende (heroic failure?); Benazir Bhutto (flawed, but then aren't most?); John Smith, the late Labour Party leader.

Although I said "of all time", my own historical knowedge isn't really up to doing that, so I've stuck to 20th & 21st centuries. If Guthers or anyone else wants to bump mine down the list with Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great or whoever, feel free!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:04 - Jun 14 with 3294 viewsfooters

Is this just a good eggs top 10? A lot of the 'best' political operators were of course complete bastards.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:07 - Jun 14 with 3265 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:04 - Jun 14 by footers

Is this just a good eggs top 10? A lot of the 'best' political operators were of course complete bastards.

Yes, fair point - this thread was prompted by discussion of Jacinda Ardern on Shawsey's NZ thread, so I should probably have called it "best" political leaders in our various opinions.

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:10 - Jun 14 with 3253 viewsStokieBlue

In the current climate I think you'll find some people will find a number of those problematic. Looking at historical people through a contemporary lens will also bring up these issues.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:13 - Jun 14 with 3237 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:10 - Jun 14 by StokieBlue

In the current climate I think you'll find some people will find a number of those problematic. Looking at historical people through a contemporary lens will also bring up these issues.

SB

Sure. As I said most are flawed, and some of those I included for their influence at particular times - eg Churchill for his leadership during WW2.

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:15 - Jun 14 with 3217 viewseireblue

That carpenters son from Bethlehem, he started a pretty good sized movement.

I have high hopes for baby yoda.
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:17 - Jun 14 with 3203 viewsStokieBlue

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:13 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

Sure. As I said most are flawed, and some of those I included for their influence at particular times - eg Churchill for his leadership during WW2.

Many will also find Gandhi problematic given his views in early life and his "testing" of his sexual abstention in old age.

Certainly you can cite periods in lives like you have but at the moment people seem to be taking the whole life and highlighting the wrongs. Very few people are going to be deemed acceptable to the masses under that criteria. It's understandable though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:18 - Jun 14 with 3199 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:15 - Jun 14 by eireblue

That carpenters son from Bethlehem, he started a pretty good sized movement.

I have high hopes for baby yoda.

Did think about including the original JC, but decided his main descriptor would be 'religious', not 'political'.

'"Baby Yoda"?!

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:19 - Jun 14 with 3191 viewsWacko

I think Ataturk could go in there, as one of the most successful leaders to bring their country away from colonial powers. And also for his secular reforms. He also seemed to be universally acclaimed (except by people who called him a Mason and a homosexual..) even by his rivals

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Login to get fewer ads

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:21 - Jun 14 with 3176 viewsfooters

Genghis Khan must be in with a shout here.

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:22 - Jun 14 with 3183 viewsBlueBadger

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:19 - Jun 14 by Wacko

I think Ataturk could go in there, as one of the most successful leaders to bring their country away from colonial powers. And also for his secular reforms. He also seemed to be universally acclaimed (except by people who called him a Mason and a homosexual..) even by his rivals

Going further back, Suleman the Magnificent - his legacy in legal reforms can still be seen in various parts of the world. Also a great patron of the arts and education, very keen on religious tolerance and diversity at time when most of Europe was setting fire to each other over their views on the Eucharist and spoke multiple languages. This is just stuff I can think of off the top of my head,I shall await Guffers to correct me...
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 11:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:26 - Jun 14 with 3157 viewsWeWereZombies

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:17 - Jun 14 by StokieBlue

Many will also find Gandhi problematic given his views in early life and his "testing" of his sexual abstention in old age.

Certainly you can cite periods in lives like you have but at the moment people seem to be taking the whole life and highlighting the wrongs. Very few people are going to be deemed acceptable to the masses under that criteria. It's understandable though.

SB

Depends on the criteria you use to determine 'best', if you use virtue and ethical correctness then eventually all leaders look suspect (which is why Mandela probably deserves to be top of the list as he was so adamant in telling everyone 'I am no saint'). However, if you use the ability to influence those around them, to induce a large following to agree or at least allow to their policies you have something closer to politics in the scientific sense - but you might find Hitler included...

For what it is worth I would put Marcus Aurelius and Clement Attlee on the list. maybe Cromwell and Thomas Jefferson too.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:30 - Jun 14 with 3131 viewsWacko

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:21 - Jun 14 by footers

Genghis Khan must be in with a shout here.

Yup, by all accounts the victim of a bad PR campaign by his opponents

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:30 - Jun 14 with 3134 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Clement Attlee should be very high on that list, perhaps top of it.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:36 - Jun 14 with 3093 viewssolemio

Harold Wilson? Why?
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:37 - Jun 14 with 3096 viewsWeWereZombies

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:30 - Jun 14 by Wacko

Yup, by all accounts the victim of a bad PR campaign by his opponents

It is the tragic lot of empire builders, they bust a gut establishing reforms in medical care and education but all people remember are the rapes and murders...

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:38 - Jun 14 with 3089 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:26 - Jun 14 by WeWereZombies

Depends on the criteria you use to determine 'best', if you use virtue and ethical correctness then eventually all leaders look suspect (which is why Mandela probably deserves to be top of the list as he was so adamant in telling everyone 'I am no saint'). However, if you use the ability to influence those around them, to induce a large following to agree or at least allow to their policies you have something closer to politics in the scientific sense - but you might find Hitler included...

For what it is worth I would put Marcus Aurelius and Clement Attlee on the list. maybe Cromwell and Thomas Jefferson too.

My reasons for citing Jacinda Ardern on the NZ thread were that not only does she always seem to make the right decisions (from what I've seen - there may be things I'm unaware of) but for the right reasons. She sets high ethical standards, consideration of the future is a key part of her thinking and she clearly has the ability to empathise with other people living very different lives in very different situations, in spades. Contrast with the uncaring & short-term selfishness of so many UK politicians.

Obviously most of the others on my list were much older, so some might say simply had a longer timespan for flaws to emerge!

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:39 - Jun 14 with 3083 viewsBlueBadger

Which Cromwell - Thomas or Oliver?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:40 - Jun 14 with 3080 viewsfooters

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:39 - Jun 14 by BlueBadger

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:45 - Jun 14 with 3071 viewsWeWereZombies

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:39 - Jun 14 by BlueBadger

Oliver, Thomas seems to be a bit of a Dominic Cummings type...

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:52 - Jun 14 with 3060 viewsRyorry

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:36 - Jun 14 by solemio

Harold Wilson? Why?

That was probably my most personal one. His very decent leadership & PM-ship overall wouldn't be described as standout by most. However, his creation of the OU was an absolute nugget of gold which led to the concept of "life-long learning" being translated into reality, opening doors for millions of people (including me) to new jobs, careers, personal fulfillment, new found confidence - and simply suddenly discovering that they actually enjoyed learning & finding out about stuff they hadn't even realised they might be interested in!

Jenny Lee played a massive part in translating Wilson's vision of it into reality, so a big-up for her too 👏🏻

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:56 - Jun 14 with 3044 viewsOldsmoker

No Pol Pot, Ho Chi Min or Mao Tse Tung.
Seems a bit western-centric this list.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:56 - Jun 14 with 3041 viewsKeno

Can’t believe you hadn’t included Nick Clegg

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:59 - Jun 14 with 3035 viewsDarth_Koont

Upvoted for Marcus Aurelius in particular.

Arguably the greatest influence of all political leaders.

Pronouns: He/Him

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 12:00 - Jun 14 with 3025 viewseireblue

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:45 - Jun 14 by WeWereZombies

Oliver, Thomas seems to be a bit of a Dominic Cummings type...

Oliver Cromwell!?

He can f**k right off.
Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 12:09 - Jun 14 with 3006 viewsDarth_Koont

Top 10 political leaders of all time? on 11:38 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

My reasons for citing Jacinda Ardern on the NZ thread were that not only does she always seem to make the right decisions (from what I've seen - there may be things I'm unaware of) but for the right reasons. She sets high ethical standards, consideration of the future is a key part of her thinking and she clearly has the ability to empathise with other people living very different lives in very different situations, in spades. Contrast with the uncaring & short-term selfishness of so many UK politicians.

Obviously most of the others on my list were much older, so some might say simply had a longer timespan for flaws to emerge!

Jacinda and Nicola Sturgeon are besties.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/22/sturgeon-focus-on-economic-grow

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024