Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English wine 21:08 - Jun 19 with 4099 viewssparks

Still crap isn't it?

I am familiar with the concept that south east england is at a similar latitude to champagne and chablis, and that it is on the same geological layer with similar chalky soils etc.

I am familiar with the frequently asserted opinion that English wine has come on hugely and is underrated. Also, the received wisdom that you pay for the champagne name, when the cheap stuff really isnt even as good as good english stuff.

But every time I shell out reasonable cash on an English fizz (and I have spent anywhere between £15 and £35) I have been disappointed. An £18 bottle of Nicholas Fuillate champers is invariably better.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

English wine on 20:17 - Jun 20 with 1344 viewseastangliaisblue

English wine on 20:05 - Jun 20 by Libero

Can you name some reds you’ve tried?

Malbec, Shiraz, Merlot. Had wines in places like Italy, Chile, Argentina. I'm no expert by any means, but i just don't like the stuff. I'm getting the feeling you don't believe me.
English wine on 20:18 - Jun 20 with 1336 viewseastangliaisblue

English wine on 20:11 - Jun 20 by StokieBlue

To say 100% of any food group tastes like something specific with no variety is clearly nonsense.

SB

Sorry i can't taste the difference of something i don't like.
English wine on 20:22 - Jun 20 with 1322 viewseastangliaisblue

English wine on 20:13 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

Quite. The minced beef Finders Crispy Pancakes are an affront to the taste buds but the ham and cheese are devine.

You're clearly wrong. Minced beef are far superior to ham and cheese
English wine on 20:27 - Jun 20 with 1298 viewsGlevum

Jeez feel so sorry for you that you seemingly can't find a decent bottle of English plonk during these tough times. £18 on a bottle of champers? How do you cope? Ever done blind tasting English fizz v French? Would you know the difference? Anyway back to your point, try three choirs vineyard in Gloucestershire.
English wine on 20:44 - Jun 20 with 1288 viewsIpswichKnight

English wine on 23:01 - Jun 19 by catch74

You’re not far from me then. Are you Guildford?

Not quite, Ash Vale. Having a month off the booze but am looking forward to the sparkling wine I’m saving!
English wine on 21:47 - Jun 20 with 1261 viewsLibero

English wine on 20:17 - Jun 20 by eastangliaisblue

Malbec, Shiraz, Merlot. Had wines in places like Italy, Chile, Argentina. I'm no expert by any means, but i just don't like the stuff. I'm getting the feeling you don't believe me.

No mate, I believe you I just wondered if you remembered specifics so I could recommend something decent.

My personal favourites are Jam Shed and Black Craft.
English wine on 21:52 - Jun 20 with 1258 viewscatch74

English wine on 20:44 - Jun 20 by IpswichKnight

Not quite, Ash Vale. Having a month off the booze but am looking forward to the sparkling wine I’m saving!

Nice one - I’ve started getting my beef from Hamptons Estate the other side of the Hog’s Back, grass fed, incredible flavour.
Pop in for a pint if you’re ever in the area (Bluebell Dockenfield, near Alice Holt.)

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

English wine on 21:54 - Jun 20 with 1255 viewseastangliaisblue

English wine on 21:47 - Jun 20 by Libero

No mate, I believe you I just wondered if you remembered specifics so I could recommend something decent.

My personal favourites are Jam Shed and Black Craft.

Like i said i've tried many times buh, just not for me!
Login to get fewer ads

English wine on 21:59 - Jun 20 with 1251 viewsStokieBlue

English wine on 20:13 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

Quite. The minced beef Finders Crispy Pancakes are an affront to the taste buds but the ham and cheese are devine.

So here is a question for the masses:

Do people have house wines - red, white, sparkling, whatever or do they just buy whatever they see in the shops?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

English wine on 22:02 - Jun 20 with 1247 viewsazuremerlangus

Tried several Hampshire sparkling wines (and a few others):

Hattingley Valley
Raimes (my personal favourite)
Hambledon
Jenkyn Place

These all make some great wines using the the 3 Champagne grapes (Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier).
Others use the Bacchus grape which makes for a very different wine but still very good.

Furleigh sparking wine (Dorset) is very good and cheaper than many wineries.

Overall I think there is plenty of choice and quality from this side of the channel to keep me buying British...

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

English wine on 22:11 - Jun 20 with 1229 viewsSpruceMoose

English wine on 21:59 - Jun 20 by StokieBlue

Do people have house wines - red, white, sparkling, whatever or do they just buy whatever they see in the shops?

SB

Whatever is on two for one offer at the liquor store on the corner. I figure if the bottle is dusty it's probably good.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

English wine on 22:12 - Jun 20 with 1229 viewscatch74

English wine on 22:02 - Jun 20 by azuremerlangus

Tried several Hampshire sparkling wines (and a few others):

Hattingley Valley
Raimes (my personal favourite)
Hambledon
Jenkyn Place

These all make some great wines using the the 3 Champagne grapes (Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier).
Others use the Bacchus grape which makes for a very different wine but still very good.

Furleigh sparking wine (Dorset) is very good and cheaper than many wineries.

Overall I think there is plenty of choice and quality from this side of the channel to keep me buying British...

Whoops, missed Jenkyns place - very close to me and a great choice - won a good number of international awards too.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

English wine on 22:13 - Jun 20 with 1226 viewsStokieBlue

English wine on 22:11 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

Whatever is on two for one offer at the liquor store on the corner. I figure if the bottle is dusty it's probably good.

As ever the voice of reason.

I think I am an outlier here. Have house red and white which I buy in bulk, have preferred sparkling but will also buy stuff on impulse if I like the look of it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

English wine on 22:15 - Jun 20 with 1220 viewsfooters

English wine on 22:11 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

Sounds about right for pairing with your Findus crispy pancakes. Animal.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

English wine on 22:15 - Jun 20 with 1219 viewsSpruceMoose

English wine on 22:13 - Jun 20 by StokieBlue

As ever the voice of reason.

I think I am an outlier here. Have house red and white which I buy in bulk, have preferred sparkling but will also buy stuff on impulse if I like the look of it.

SB

To be serious, we don't drink a lot of wine, but when we do we have a wine guy we buy from, and he usually steers us right after asking us about what we like/what we are pairing it with etc.

If nothing else it let's him shift the stock he hadn't been able to sell!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

English wine on 22:17 - Jun 20 with 1215 viewsfooters

English wine on 22:15 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

To be serious, we don't drink a lot of wine, but when we do we have a wine guy we buy from, and he usually steers us right after asking us about what we like/what we are pairing it with etc.

If nothing else it let's him shift the stock he hadn't been able to sell!

You weren't this humble when you were showing off your Ratners silver service decanter and four flavours of crispy pancakes. Just sayin'.

English wine on 22:19 - Jun 20 with 1202 viewsSpruceMoose

English wine on 22:17 - Jun 20 by footers

You weren't this humble when you were showing off your Ratners silver service decanter and four flavours of crispy pancakes. Just sayin'.

I've still not paid off that decanter. £1.76 a week for 652 weeks out of me mums Littlewoods book.

English wine on 22:22 - Jun 20 with 1188 viewsfooters

English wine on 22:19 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

I've still not paid off that decanter. £1.76 a week for 652 weeks out of me mums Littlewoods book.

Sh1ttest episode of Cribs ever.

English wine on 23:56 - Jun 20 with 1161 viewsEly_Blue

English wine on 21:23 - Jun 19 by StokieBlue

I am going to have to disagree on this one.

I find English sparkling excellent and it frequently wins the international blind tasting against the French (Hungarian sparkling is also superb if you like fizz, I enjoyed some earlier). The latitude isn't so much of a factor as climate change which has shifted the climate to similar to what Champagne was like 200-300 year ago I believe.

Hard to go wrong with a Ridgeview, Nyetimber or something from Chapel Down. Other English wine is also rather good as like as you like it minerally and dry. Both Baccus and Flint Dry from Chapel down are well worth a look.

You are certainly right that it's not cheap though due to the smaller quantities produced, it's not a value-for-money purchase when set against French production. It really shouldn't be seen as a cheaper alternative.

SB

Both the chapel down wines are excellent and also so is their sparkling.

Nyetimber is probably even better and it can’t be so bad as the op is making out given that it is (was) being served at 2 Michelin starred restaurant Midsummer House

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

English wine on 00:40 - Jun 21 with 1151 viewsCoastalblue

I'm going to side with the majority here, and tbh I rarely move beyond red but the only real downside to English Wine is the pricepoint, there is some real quality there you just pay a bit of a premium.

There's a reason why so many of the Champagne houses are buying up land over here, it will be fascinating to see how they label it once they start producing though.

And to SB, we tend to keep a Nero D'avola we both like as our house red, beyond that our tastes diverge. I don't generally spend a lot on wine though if I'm absolutely honest, but I like a nice* Rioja or a Cab Sav with a meal, she prefers something lighter.

* By my own standards, which tend to equate to less than a tenner a bottle, any more is wasted on me anyway.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

English wine on 09:17 - Jun 21 with 1114 viewsElephantintheRoom

Ahem.... British wine please.. The champagne myth is preparing for global warming - and we are not there yet.... although a few champagne houses have been 'listening to the science' and can sell their proposed english vinyards as housing estates when they turn out not to be needed.

English wine is quite good sometimes in good years..... one was named a Decanter wine of the year recently in a global award

However, as you say its ridiculously expensive.... it's a strange world where wine can be shipped from Australia or New Zealand at half the price

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

English wine on 09:40 - Jun 21 with 1099 viewsLeaky

English wine on 21:59 - Jun 20 by StokieBlue

SB

Yellow tail Malbec & Pinot Noir suites me at £7 a bottle. Does what it say's on the tin drink enough you fall over.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024