Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"The Blues" or "Blues"? 10:13 - Jun 20 with 1495 viewsdominiciawful

Bit of an odd question, but surely we are "The Blues" instead of "Blues"? It's just that I've often seen official club media call us "Blues". I thought it was just Birmingham that are called that?

I've always thought we were THE Blues, but for some reason the club thinks otherwise.

Just been on the club website and the second paragraph of the first story contains an example.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 10:15]

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:18 - Jun 20 with 1122 viewsPlums

Super Blues

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:19 - Jun 20 with 1121 viewsjasondozzell

Should definitely be 'THE Blues'. This annoyed me too! When Jonathan Ogle was here as media person he would always say 'Blues' and it made me think of Brum.

Growing up it was always 'The Blues'.
"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:20 - Jun 20 with 1125 viewsElephantintheRoom

As The Blues originated in the Southern States and were inspired by slavery I think you'll have to do without either from now on in the interests of right-on look at me political correctness - and adopt the ghastly 'The Tractor Boys' instead

Anyone who followed Town from the sixties onwards called Town 'The Town' which seems a bit better than Blues.... but then there are other towns as well..... but maybe our long gone success allows us to be The Town?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:25 - Jun 20 with 1105 viewsEwan_Oozami

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:20 - Jun 20 by ElephantintheRoom

As The Blues originated in the Southern States and were inspired by slavery I think you'll have to do without either from now on in the interests of right-on look at me political correctness - and adopt the ghastly 'The Tractor Boys' instead

Anyone who followed Town from the sixties onwards called Town 'The Town' which seems a bit better than Blues.... but then there are other towns as well..... but maybe our long gone success allows us to be The Town?

I think you'll find it's "Towen"....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

(No subject) on 10:29 - Jun 20 with 1092 viewssparks

Very simplistic concept of the origin of "the blues"...
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 10:30]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:33 - Jun 20 with 1068 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:25 - Jun 20 by Ewan_Oozami

Shouldn't that be "Towenah" as in, "Come on Towenah"? (Have heard this exasperated cry more than once I'm sure)

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:45 - Jun 20 with 1043 viewsSuperblue95

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:18 - Jun 20 by Plums

Super Blues

Yes? What do you want?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:52 - Jun 20 with 1036 viewsblueprint

We should campaign to drop the “Tractor boys” tag. It has to be the worst nickname in football . Embarrassing.
Login to get fewer ads

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:54 - Jun 20 with 1033 viewssparks

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:52 - Jun 20 by blueprint

We should campaign to drop the “Tractor boys” tag. It has to be the worst nickname in football . Embarrassing.

It really isnt.

It was a case of re-claiming the insult that was thrown our way and having fun with it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

(No subject) on 11:12 - Jun 20 with 1011 viewsOldsmoker

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:54 - Jun 20 by sparks

It really isnt.

It was a case of re-claiming the insult that was thrown our way and having fun with it.

That first season back in the EPL when we finished fifth had the chorus "one-nil to the tractor boys" echoing on everybodies TV set. We always seemed to score the first goal.
It inferred that you were hardly much of a top team if you're One-nil down to the tractor boys.
I loved it.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 11:13]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 11:55 - Jun 20 with 959 viewsEwan_Oozami

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:33 - Jun 20 by You_Bloo_Right

Shouldn't that be "Towenah" as in, "Come on Towenah"? (Have heard this exasperated cry more than once I'm sure)

There're 3 ways that I've heard:

"Uppa Towen", when the teams come out, or there's a break in play

"Come on Towenah", as you say, normally when we're trying to encourage some attempt at attacking activity

FGS Taaaawen", normally after some major blunder has cost us a goal, or we've missed an open goal

The speaker, or rather shouter, of those phrases, and many more, comes from Bures, so probably a mix of North Essex and South Suffolk accents there..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:06 - Jun 20 with 946 viewsWeWereZombies

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:18 - Jun 20 by Plums

Super Blues

That works, we can leave 'The Blues' to Birmingham City and 'Blues' to Chelsea.

I can see OldSmoker's appreciation for the Tr*ctor B*ys tag but I despise its Murdochian origins, and The Farmers Boys had already been stolen by a band from Nodge.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:29 - Jun 20 with 912 viewssparks

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:06 - Jun 20 by WeWereZombies

I can see OldSmoker's appreciation for the Tr*ctor B*ys tag but I despise its Murdochian origins, and The Farmers Boys had already been stolen by a band from Nodge.

"blues" is very much Birmingham.

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:36 - Jun 20 with 890 viewsWeWereZombies

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:29 - Jun 20 by sparks

"blues" is very much Birmingham.

Whatever, it is all marketing guff anyway.

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:48 - Jun 20 with 874 viewssparks

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:36 - Jun 20 by WeWereZombies

Whatever, it is all marketing guff anyway.

Not really. Its simply how they are pretty much universally referred to in and around the city of Birmingham.

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:50 - Jun 20 with 874 viewsfactual_blue

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:52 - Jun 20 by blueprint

I can think of bird-related nicknames that are much, much worse....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:52 - Jun 20 with 871 viewsWeWereZombies

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:48 - Jun 20 by sparks

Not really. Its simply how they are pretty much universally referred to in and around the city of Birmingham.

Which is it? Universally or the city of Birmingham? Or does 'around the city of Birmingham' stretch to the rest of the Universe?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:58 - Jun 20 with 863 viewssparks

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:52 - Jun 20 by WeWereZombies

Which is it? Universally or the city of Birmingham? Or does 'around the city of Birmingham' stretch to the rest of the Universe?

What?

Was the English really too difficult for you?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 13:00 - Jun 20 with 860 viewsWeWereZombies

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 12:58 - Jun 20 by sparks

What?

Was the English really too difficult for you?

I am feeling grumpy for an inexplicable (but probably lock down related) reason so am alleviating the condition by being incredibly picky. Cannot imagine where I got the idea from...

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 13:05 - Jun 20 with 860 viewsJimmyJazz

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 10:25 - Jun 20 by Ewan_Oozami

Well if you are looking for the most embarrassing name for us - then this is it. A lack of basic pronunciation, we may as well be known as the Tracker Boys

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 13:08 - Jun 20 with 852 viewssparks

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 13:00 - Jun 20 by WeWereZombies

I am feeling grumpy for an inexplicable (but probably lock down related) reason so am alleviating the condition by being incredibly picky. Cannot imagine where I got the idea from...

If youa re going to be picky, you really need to find something valid to pick on. Rather than an entirely logical and clear sentence.

Each to their own...

"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 14:22 - Jun 20 with 781 viewsfactual_blue

The Blue Tractor Horses.

Sorted.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

(No subject) on 15:24 - Jun 20 with 756 viewsBlueBadger

(No subject) on 10:29 - Jun 20 by sparks

Very simplistic concept of the origin of "the blues"...
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 10:30]

Unlike TWTD's equivalent of Paul Lambert to be talking rubbish and overly simplifying things.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

(No subject) on 15:47 - Jun 20 with 734 viewsMach_foreignBlue

(No subject) on 15:24 - Jun 20 by BlueBadger

Unlike TWTD's equivalent of Paul Lambert to be talking rubbish and overly simplifying things.

Yep just like number of other people involved on and off the pitch. Lambert ain't alone in terms of that.
"The Blues" or "Blues"? on 15:55 - Jun 20 with 723 viewsbournemouthblue

It's certainly a lazy nickname from the media who couldn't get their head around another team being known as the Blues

We used to call ourselves the Super Blues in the 90's, I wouldn't be surprised if my Scarf has that written on it

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024