Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? 19:34 - Jul 5 with 1535 viewsBlueBadger

I'm by no means a fan of musicals but Mrs Badger has me watching it on Disney+ and it's a fooking masterful piece of showmanship and wordsmithing.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 22:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 20:22 - Jul 5 with 1446 viewsKeno

Bryan was a good player, probably unlucky not to get more changes here and having been robbed by that (redacted) (redacted) welsh (redacted) deserves this accolade
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 22:08]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 20:51 - Jul 5 with 1404 viewslinhdi

Not seen. I am massively into musical theatre, esp Sondheim, so was completely put off Hamilton by the publicity. Having now seen trailers for it, I think I was very wrong - it's high on the list now!!!
Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 20:55 - Jul 5 with 1393 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Albon certainly did

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 21:53 - Jul 5 with 1348 viewsGlasgowBlue

We’ve just watched it. Stunning. When we’ve both stopped blubbing I’ll post more.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 22:05 - Jul 5 with 1329 viewsvapour_trail

Musicals are for w@nkers.

W@nker.

Except for the jungle book, that’s decent.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 22:06 - Jul 5 with 1330 viewsSpruceMoose

Aye. Saw the original cast production on Broadway. I'm in no way to be considered knowledgeable about musicals, but I thought it was magnificent in my limited appreciation.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 07:06 - Jul 6 with 1175 viewsGlasgowBlue

The lyrics and pace of delivery are breathtaking. Some great in jokes which you’ll miss if you don’t know your American history, poor old John Adams really does get a bum rap. Blink and you’ll miss the mention of Sally Hemings.

Standout performances from Daveed Diggs as Jefferson and Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 08:03 - Jul 6 with 1140 viewsitfcjoe

Yeh, saw it in the West End (had to miss an ITFC game to do so which ended up being the 0-0 at home to Burton...!) and then rewatched it Friday night on Disney plus.

Is excellent, so fast paced and clever, and brilliantly put on by the cast.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 09:21 - Jul 6 with 1103 viewsGeoffSentence

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 20:22 - Jul 5 by Keno

Bryan was a good player, probably unlucky not to get more changes here and having been robbed by that (redacted) (redacted) welsh (redacted) deserves this accolade
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 22:08]

I nearly ran him over once. Which is about as close to a claim to fame that I have.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 10:33 - Jul 6 with 1059 viewsBluefish

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 22:05 - Jul 5 by vapour_trail

W@nker.

WTF? I could watch Les Mis all day but I love musicals. Never ever thought I would but they are brilliant.....phantom was a bit boring i suppose though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 12:15 - Jul 6 with 998 viewsLankHenners

To be a contrarian for a minute...

I thought it was self-masturbatory liberal pigswill. It's (generally) well performed and staged, and despite being long doesn't drag its heels, but for a play which tries to educate people on a rarely-mentioned figure from an important part of American history, it's pretty glaring when arguably the biggest issue of that time is brushed over or 'whitewashed'. Slavery is hardly mentioned, and when it is it's given a dubiously positive spin, or at least removes the complexities and historical disagreement over the views held by the people portrayed. And that's before we get to Native Americans.

The songs, even by musical standards, are corny and largely unmemorable (those that are are because of repetition). The first half an hour or so is sung in forced rhyme to the point where when it isn't or there's a half-rhyme it jars and feels like an error.

Lin-Manuel Miranda doesn't fill the boots of the image of the man he's putting on a pedestal, and the whole thing comes across as a celebration of Miranda's talents.

I didn't like it, sorry.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 08:36 - Jul 12 with 838 viewsStokieBlue

Watched it on Disney+ last night and with the sound system turned way up it was superb. I did feel the first half was more enjoyable than the second half but the performances and the delivery were amazing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 23:11 - Jul 12 with 697 viewsPlums

Anyone on here seen 'Hamilton'? on 22:05 - Jul 5 by vapour_trail

W@nker.

And Blues Brothers

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024