Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jonson Clarke-Harris 14:26 - Jul 9 with 6302 viewsitfcjoe

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/state-play-regarding-jonson-clarke-

There is delay and uncertainty around Clarke-Harris future, though, because understandably there is further interest out there, most notably from Ipswich Town who Bristol Live understands have begun undertaking background checks on the striker, speaking to former coaches and teammates

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:23 - Jul 9 with 1277 viewsPhilTWTD

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 18:44 - Jul 9 by TheTrueBlue1878

Would be a surprise too. Never be too sure when a rumour like this appears when the player is ironically negotiating a contract extension.

Given the financial implications of Covid, surely the club won't be making huge moves in the transfer market, surely going to be an incredibly quiet one even by our standards.

I can't see any more than a CB.

As for Strikers, I think likely will lean towards Simpson/Morris as options down the pecking order rather than recruit.

I'm not anticipating many if any fees, barring a big sale.
Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:24 - Jul 9 with 1272 viewsMullet

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 17:25 - Jul 9 by clive_baker

We need more of a presence up front for me, and I agree we certainly need some leadership. We've got 2 if we're being generous, in Chambers and Downes. I want 2 or 3 more. Perhaps an experienced left back, someone who has been around the block a little but is strong defensively and technically. A Kevin Foley type, but left sided. An experienced keeper to deputise for Holy, and a striker who has some balls, bullies defenders and leads by example. A Joe Garner. A bit of a w@nker. I don't dislike the Will Keane's or Cole Skuse's of this world, but we're far too nice and naive for League 1 when you've got a squad full of them.

I want to see more energy and bigger boll0cks. I don't think we're lacking in terms of ability or technically speaking, particularly when you look at some of the young talent, I just think we were so lethargic and uninspiring last season. That's why Lambert comes in for so much stick because it all felt so avoidable. Previous seasons smacked of a lack of investment and, ultimately, quality for the 2nd tier. We didn't lose to on the regular to the Norwich's or Middlesbrough's under MM through any lack of effort or desire, we ultimately fell short on quality. I sympathised with Lambert in the Championship, being afforded Quaner and Elder as our January saviours was always a tough ask.

But there was no excuse last season. He had the tools at his disposal and broadly speaking had the quality. It was all just terribly mismanaged and he never addressed the very few problem areas, never got a tune out of most of them and never seemed like we were looking beyond the end of our noses.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 17:26]

Grounds just released from Brum or he is too clapped out for even this league?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:34 - Jul 9 with 1254 viewsitfcjoe

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 16:59 - Jul 9 by ChiefXL

I'm sorry you've said there appears to be an issue with his professionalism but then not said why when asked.

Are we gaslighting our own players now?

There are 2 pretty high profile things last year.

Going out on the beers in London with Joey Barton, the manager of one of our direct rivals, and then putting it on social media is hardly a good look.

Going down to a wrestling event as the guest MC and getting involved with a move on someone when carrying an injury that the club were aware of also not a great look.

There was another game where he was dropped for issues that I'd heard and left the ground before the game after a subsequent argument with Lambert if I remember correctly.

These are just things that were in the public eye, hardly a great stretch to suggest there is an issue.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:42 - Jul 9 with 1231 viewsHerbivore

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:34 - Jul 9 by itfcjoe

Going out on the beers in London with Joey Barton, the manager of one of our direct rivals, and then putting it on social media is hardly a good look.

Going down to a wrestling event as the guest MC and getting involved with a move on someone when carrying an injury that the club were aware of also not a great look.

There was another game where he was dropped for issues that I'd heard and left the ground before the game after a subsequent argument with Lambert if I remember correctly.

These are just things that were in the public eye, hardly a great stretch to suggest there is an issue.

I heard a story about him getting hammered the night before or a couple of nights before a home game and being dropped as a result. You kind of tolerate that if someone is a top drawer player but he's solid lower league fodder and at a bigger club than his ability merits so it's disappointing to see stuff like that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:46 - Jul 9 with 1219 viewssparks

First one- first Ive heard of it... Source and evidence?

2nd one- no obvious issue.

3rd one- too vague and no evidence.

Not convinced!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:51 - Jul 9 with 1205 viewsclive_baker

Not to mention the fact he was quite patently in terrible physical condition last season relative to his peers. I try not to judge, I'm not sure what personal circumstances might've been contributing to his mindset, but there was certainly something there that doesn't quite stack up.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:51 - Jul 9 with 1196 viewsclive_baker

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:24 - Jul 9 by Mullet

Grounds just released from Brum or he is too clapped out for even this league?

Not sure what his fitness is like but he would be exactly the sort of signing I would be looking at for left back. Experienced but still with a couple of years left in him. He's had some knockers but he's always looked comfortable on the ball and solid & reliable enough when I've seen him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:57 - Jul 9 with 1180 viewsitfcjoe

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:46 - Jul 9 by sparks

First one- first Ive heard of it... Source and evidence?

2nd one- no obvious issue.

3rd one- too vague and no evidence.

Not convinced!

Looking back, I've conflated the 1st and the 3rd stories.

Exhibit A - Norwood out having a beer the Thursday before Blackpool game
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5IrqT9jByT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Exhibit B - Norwood not in the 18 for the Blackpool game 2 days later

Ipswich Town 2-2 Blackpool - Match Report 23rd Nov 2019 17:16
Town’s post-international break blues continued after they were held to a 2-2 home draw by Blackpool. The Blues, who have now not won a league game after an international break for 22 matches stretching back to September 2014, went in front on eight via Gwion Edwards but the Tangerines levelled through Joe Nuttall on 22. Blackpool took the lead from a disputed penalty converted by Jay Spearing eight minutes after the restart but Luke Garbutt equalised for Town, also from the spot, on 58. 66

The Blues were without right-back Kane Vincent-Young, who was touch and go for the game following his recent groin operation, and striker James Norwood, who has also picked up a knock.

Exhibit C - Mate saw him in the car park leaving before the game, asked him if he was injured and he said No before getting in his care.
Inadmissable.

Exhibit D - Norwood back in the 18 just 2 days later to stat and play the full 90 minutes.

Ipswich Town 0-0 Wycombe Wanderers - Match Report 26th Nov 2019 22:16
Town had a goal controversially ruled out just before half-time and Tomas Holy saved a second-half penalty as the Blues and Wycombe drew 0-0 in a top-v-second clash at Portman Road. Just before half-time, Luke Chambers’s header was diverted into his own net by Curtis Thompson but referee Alan Young wrongly disallowed it having consulted his linesman with the players already lined-up for the restart. In the second half, Holy stopped Joe Jacobson’s spotkick after Chambers had fouled David Wheeler. 61

Login to get fewer ads

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 22:37 - Jul 9 with 1070 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:57 - Jul 9 by itfcjoe

Looking back, I've conflated the 1st and the 3rd stories.

Exhibit A - Norwood out having a beer the Thursday before Blackpool game
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5IrqT9jByT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Exhibit B - Norwood not in the 18 for the Blackpool game 2 days later

Ipswich Town 2-2 Blackpool - Match Report 23rd Nov 2019 17:16
Town’s post-international break blues continued after they were held to a 2-2 home draw by Blackpool. The Blues, who have now not won a league game after an international break for 22 matches stretching back to September 2014, went in front on eight via Gwion Edwards but the Tangerines levelled through Joe Nuttall on 22. Blackpool took the lead from a disputed penalty converted by Jay Spearing eight minutes after the restart but Luke Garbutt equalised for Town, also from the spot, on 58. 66

The Blues were without right-back Kane Vincent-Young, who was touch and go for the game following his recent groin operation, and striker James Norwood, who has also picked up a knock.

Exhibit C - Mate saw him in the car park leaving before the game, asked him if he was injured and he said No before getting in his care.
Inadmissable.

Exhibit D - Norwood back in the 18 just 2 days later to stat and play the full 90 minutes.

Ipswich Town 0-0 Wycombe Wanderers - Match Report 26th Nov 2019 22:16
Town had a goal controversially ruled out just before half-time and Tomas Holy saved a second-half penalty as the Blues and Wycombe drew 0-0 in a top-v-second clash at Portman Road. Just before half-time, Luke Chambers’s header was diverted into his own net by Curtis Thompson but referee Alan Young wrongly disallowed it having consulted his linesman with the players already lined-up for the restart. In the second half, Holy stopped Joe Jacobson’s spotkick after Chambers had fouled David Wheeler. 61

Going for that beer before a game is silly, and rightly punished by being dropped. Hopefully he was told accordingly by Lambert (imagine he was), and you move on, don't think that would have occurred again as I think he came back in and was playing again IIRC.

As for Lambert and him having a bust up, think that was common knowledge, I believe they had full blown square up actually. But that happens at football clubs up and down the country day in day out. Shake hands and move on, they're both grown men, we are all going for the same objectives so there is no real issue there.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 08:25 - Jul 10 with 962 viewsChrisd

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 15:19 - Jul 9 by abracaDOBRA_

yeah I get what you mean. Either like him or don't kinda guy. Personally think he's great.Would love for him to smash it next season. Injury free so hopefully will kick on.

Interesting reading some of the comments about Norwood, for someone playing with an injury for most of the season he didn’t do badly. Just imagine what he could do injury free and playing in a settled side? Yes, he missed chances, but he was there to miss them. Equally, he scored some typical strikers goals through instinct. His chipped finish at home to Accrington Stanley was just sublime and showed real quality. He’s worth preserving with, as we all know he’ll go somewhere else and they’ll get the best of him.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 8:27]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 08:30 - Jul 10 with 952 viewsHerbivore

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 22:37 - Jul 9 by TheTrueBlue1878

Going for that beer before a game is silly, and rightly punished by being dropped. Hopefully he was told accordingly by Lambert (imagine he was), and you move on, don't think that would have occurred again as I think he came back in and was playing again IIRC.

As for Lambert and him having a bust up, think that was common knowledge, I believe they had full blown square up actually. But that happens at football clubs up and down the country day in day out. Shake hands and move on, they're both grown men, we are all going for the same objectives so there is no real issue there.

You'd hope that someone like Norwood, who is only playing for us because of how far we've slipped rather than because of his ability, might knuckle down and try to make the best of his opportunity at a decent sized club. I don't think he's really done that. The injury hasn't helped but not sure he really lives the life, he looks a pub player in terms of physique. If he was banging them in you'd forgive all that, but his finishing is terrible and his goalscoring record was mediocre. As one of our higher earners I wouldn't be sad to see him go. He's a Poundland Joe Garner.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 08:38 - Jul 10 with 936 viewsChrisd

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:23 - Jul 9 by PhilTWTD

I'm not anticipating many if any fees, barring a big sale.

With a £10m deficit due to Covid, I can’t see any cash buys even if we sell Downes or Woolfie. Our squad is too bloated already, until we get rid of a few I can’t see many free transfers coming in either.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 08:56 - Jul 10 with 905 viewsHerbivore

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 08:38 - Jul 10 by Chrisd

With a £10m deficit due to Covid, I can’t see any cash buys even if we sell Downes or Woolfie. Our squad is too bloated already, until we get rid of a few I can’t see many free transfers coming in either.

£10m is a worst case scenario which I think assumes no fans next season either. That's unlikely to be the case.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:16 - Jul 10 with 854 viewsChrisd

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 08:56 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

£10m is a worst case scenario which I think assumes no fans next season either. That's unlikely to be the case.

Whether it's £10m or not, you can safely say we're losing money with little coming in and with the size of our current squad it's unlikely we'll be making many signings free or otherwise.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 10:21]

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:21 - Jul 10 with 840 viewsMullet

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 19:51 - Jul 9 by clive_baker

Not sure what his fitness is like but he would be exactly the sort of signing I would be looking at for left back. Experienced but still with a couple of years left in him. He's had some knockers but he's always looked comfortable on the ball and solid & reliable enough when I've seen him.

United have just released two LBs with good reviews, one who had an injury set back but has been at Hearts and one who was on loan at Morecambe I think and got good reviews. I wonder if shopping in that kind of pool of big club releases pays off lower down than it did when we got Veseli etc.

I know Brum fans really slated Grounds last time we played them and had been for some time. But that’s not always indicative of anything other than popularity. He looked “solid’ to me which is probably a quality we need.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:22 - Jul 10 with 837 viewscatch74

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:16 - Jul 10 by Chrisd

Whether it's £10m or not, you can safely say we're losing money with little coming in and with the size of our current squad it's unlikely we'll be making many signings free or otherwise.

We’re all in this together ....

‘So we have 17 players, 3 of them goalkeepers, 5 of them who have no future under Kenny Jackett, and 2 who have never got near the first team.

Sorry @Michael_Eisner but that is a complete shambles. What have you done to the playing staff of our club? #Pompey’

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:25 - Jul 10 with 831 viewsHerbivore

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:16 - Jul 10 by Chrisd

A lot will depend on departures and if people leave then how much money that brings in or frees up in terms of wages. I don't see us spending big but I'd be surprised if we don't sign two or three players at least.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:27 - Jul 10 with 824 viewsChrisd

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:22 - Jul 10 by catch74

We’re all in this together ....

‘So we have 17 players, 3 of them goalkeepers, 5 of them who have no future under Kenny Jackett, and 2 who have never got near the first team.

Sorry @Michael_Eisner but that is a complete shambles. What have you done to the playing staff of our club? #Pompey’

O'Neill: Time Will Tell on Garbutt Return 10th Jul 2020 09:58
General manager of football operations Lee O’Neill says Town would love left-back Luke Garbutt to return to the club on a permanent basis and that the 27-year-old’s situation will be monitored. 37

The last two paragraphs might be of interest catch74. We seem the opposite of Portsmouth then with our 27,000 central midfielders!

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:30 - Jul 10 with 816 viewsChrisd

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:25 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

A lot will depend on departures and if people leave then how much money that brings in or frees up in terms of wages. I don't see us spending big but I'd be surprised if we don't sign two or three players at least.

Completely agree there Herbivore. The fact is, we need players to leave for any movement to happen, O'Neil has admitted that himself.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:58 - Jul 10 with 804 viewsKeaneish

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 08:30 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

You'd hope that someone like Norwood, who is only playing for us because of how far we've slipped rather than because of his ability, might knuckle down and try to make the best of his opportunity at a decent sized club. I don't think he's really done that. The injury hasn't helped but not sure he really lives the life, he looks a pub player in terms of physique. If he was banging them in you'd forgive all that, but his finishing is terrible and his goalscoring record was mediocre. As one of our higher earners I wouldn't be sad to see him go. He's a Poundland Joe Garner.

Overly harsh that in my opinion. He’s a 1 in 3 striker at lower league levels and scored 1 in 2.5 or thereabouts at our level. Granted Garner is better but I’m happy enough with Norwood if not blown away.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 11:15 - Jul 10 with 787 viewscatch74

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:27 - Jul 10 by Chrisd

O'Neill: Time Will Tell on Garbutt Return 10th Jul 2020 09:58
General manager of football operations Lee O’Neill says Town would love left-back Luke Garbutt to return to the club on a permanent basis and that the 27-year-old’s situation will be monitored. 37

The last two paragraphs might be of interest catch74. We seem the opposite of Portsmouth then with our 27,000 central midfielders!

Very true, perhaps we could swap 3 midfielders for one of their keepers. Everyone in L1 is going to have issues one way or another.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 11:18 - Jul 10 with 782 viewscatch74

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 10:58 - Jul 10 by Keaneish

Overly harsh that in my opinion. He’s a 1 in 3 striker at lower league levels and scored 1 in 2.5 or thereabouts at our level. Granted Garner is better but I’m happy enough with Norwood if not blown away.

I think the issue would be selling him, with a point to prove, to a rival. Suddenly no groin problem and knocking in the 1 on 1’s etc and we’d all be spitting.

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 11:44 - Jul 10 with 750 viewstractorboy1978

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 15:05 - Jul 9 by itfcjoe

Just generally what you see of him, no specific incidents that I'm aware of but you get the impression from some people.

Class clown will always get stick when the going gets tough - he's just a bit of a throwback, hopefully he'll see this season upcoming as big chance to kick on and give it his best though

Second paragraph is spot on. You do need characters in the team but they need to know when to knuckle down and what is right and wrong at specific moments in time.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 11:51]
Jonson Clarke-Harris on 11:52 - Jul 10 with 744 viewsIpswichKnight

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 11:18 - Jul 10 by catch74

I think the issue would be selling him, with a point to prove, to a rival. Suddenly no groin problem and knocking in the 1 on 1’s etc and we’d all be spitting.

Which would of course be the Ipswich way!

He does offer us something we have been missing upfront, he's a handful who likes to put himself about but knows when the line has been crossed. I would like to see him properly fit and firing though I'll always think he's a patchy striker, when he's hot he's very hot but will go through stages of not scoring at all.
Jonson Clarke-Harris on 13:57 - Jul 10 with 684 viewsChrisd

Jonson Clarke-Harris on 11:52 - Jul 10 by IpswichKnight

Which would of course be the Ipswich way!

He does offer us something we have been missing upfront, he's a handful who likes to put himself about but knows when the line has been crossed. I would like to see him properly fit and firing though I'll always think he's a patchy striker, when he's hot he's very hot but will go through stages of not scoring at all.

We’re a better team when he’s playing and hassling the defenders from the front.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024