Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead 15:16 - Jul 10 with 4676 viewshampstead_blue

The Times page 3.

He's spot on. If the BBC put out The Office today he would have had throngs pounding down his door.

F😘CK your sensitivities. I want the likes of Gervais to have space to challenge and make us wet ourselves.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:24 - Jul 10 with 2192 viewsSpruceMoose

People have been saying comedy is dead for decades. Still seems pretty lively to me though!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:38 - Jul 10 with 2155 viewsJakeITFC

What in the office do you think is problematic and would require censorship today?

Bearing in mind that I know it pretty much off by heart so you can be specific.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:42 - Jul 10 with 2141 viewsSeablu

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:38 - Jul 10 by JakeITFC

What in the office do you think is problematic and would require censorship today?

Bullying.
That poor lad having his stapler set in jelly should have resulted in a helpline number at the end.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:48 - Jul 10 with 2128 viewsDubtractor

I've not read the article, and FWIW I rate a lot of what Gervais does, but the idea that risky comedy is dead is utter horsesh1t.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:52 - Jul 10 with 2093 viewsitfcjoe

I do think there is an element where there would be a misunderstanding that Brent is the one being sent up, and that he is a cretin

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:58 - Jul 10 with 2062 viewsm14_blue

You’re not looking at the whole pie.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:02 - Jul 10 with 2047 viewsLibero

"he went home and got a book"
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:03 - Jul 10 with 2044 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:42 - Jul 10 by Seablu

Bullying.
That poor lad having his stapler set in jelly should have resulted in a helpline number at the end.

**TWTD BULLY CLAIM KLAXON**
Login to get fewer ads

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:05 - Jul 10 with 2041 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:52 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

I do think there is an element where there would be a misunderstanding that Brent is the one being sent up, and that he is a cretin

Probably, but that was the case with a good number of viewers when the show was first released, there were people who thought it was a legitimate documentary about an awful, awful boss.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:07 - Jul 10 with 2029 viewshoppy

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:05 - Jul 10 by Libero

Probably, but that was the case with a good number of viewers when the show was first released, there were people who thought it was a legitimate documentary about an awful, awful boss.

Was it set at Portman Road?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:11 - Jul 10 with 2013 viewsIllinoisblue

The trick is to ignore the drooling masses who would pound on doors because they’re offended by a joke. And when I say ignore I mean punch in the throat

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:12 - Jul 10 with 2007 viewsIllinoisblue

The girl in the wheelchair at the fire drill

62 - 78 - 81

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:13 - Jul 10 with 1999 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:11 - Jul 10 by Illinoisblue

The trick is to ignore the drooling masses who would pound on doors because they’re offended by a joke. And when I say ignore I mean punch in the throat

Pretty much steer clear of Twitter.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:14 - Jul 10 with 1989 viewsHerbivore

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:12 - Jul 10 by Illinoisblue

Why would that be censored?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:16 - Jul 10 with 1981 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:12 - Jul 10 by Illinoisblue

Really?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:17 - Jul 10 with 1971 viewsIllinoisblue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:14 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

It shouldn’t be. I was giving that as an example of a scene that somebody might be offended by.

62 - 78 - 81

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:19 - Jul 10 with 1955 viewsHerbivore

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:17 - Jul 10 by Illinoisblue

It shouldn’t be. I was giving that as an example of a scene that somebody might be offended by.

Someone might have been offended by it at the time as well. I don't think much has changed in that respect. Offended people have always been around. The point is about censorship and I don't see why that scene would be censored.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:21 - Jul 10 with 1953 viewsitfcjoe

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:14 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

Because people deliberately remove context from comedy these days and it would be shown as a stand alone thing which would be out of order.

There are people wanting Friends cancelled because it is 'overtly homophobic'

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:23 - Jul 10 with 1927 viewsIllinoisblue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:16 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Really?

See below

62 - 78 - 81

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:27 - Jul 10 with 1897 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:23 - Jul 10 by Illinoisblue

See below

Fair enough.

Anyone offended by it should not be given the time of day.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:28 - Jul 10 with 1888 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:21 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

Because people deliberately remove context from comedy these days and it would be shown as a stand alone thing which would be out of order.

There are people wanting Friends cancelled because it is 'overtly homophobic'

I mean, times change. I don't know what the issue with Friends is in particular, but it's not hard to imagine that jokes made in a TV show during the 90s might be viewed poorly now.

For example, it wouldn't have been unusual to hear words like 'Tranny' or 'He-She' be used in jokes during the 90s. I personally don't think we would be losing anything of any great comedic value if we consider removing terms like that, which are now considered offensive.

A mature society should be able to have a discussion about it without people screaming about 'PC gone mad' though. Likewise, whole TV shows probably don't need to be cancelled because of a few jokes which have aged badly. Some stuff that was made a while back probably does need to be censored, and of course other stuff doesn't. Each on its own merit.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 16:30]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:31 - Jul 10 with 1876 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:28 - Jul 10 by SpruceMoose

I mean, times change. I don't know what the issue with Friends is in particular, but it's not hard to imagine that jokes made in a TV show during the 90s might be viewed poorly now.

For example, it wouldn't have been unusual to hear words like 'Tranny' or 'He-She' be used in jokes during the 90s. I personally don't think we would be losing anything of any great comedic value if we consider removing terms like that, which are now considered offensive.

A mature society should be able to have a discussion about it without people screaming about 'PC gone mad' though. Likewise, whole TV shows probably don't need to be cancelled because of a few jokes which have aged badly. Some stuff that was made a while back probably does need to be censored, and of course other stuff doesn't. Each on its own merit.

Not sure why saying things should be looked at maturely and on a case by case basis has got a downvote from you Mullet.

I thought a bland middle ground approach would be right up your street?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 16:33]

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:33 - Jul 10 with 1869 viewsitfcjoe

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:28 - Jul 10 by SpruceMoose

I think a lot of it is attention seeking, write an article on why something should be cancelled and it gets hits.

Agree with the rest, as to why certain terms drop out of what is acceptable and get cut out etc

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:34 - Jul 10 with 1861 viewsIllinoisblue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:13 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Pretty much steer clear of Twitter.

It can be a cesspit of ignorance but at the same time, if you follow the good people, it can be very rewarding

62 - 78 - 81

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:34 - Jul 10 with 1854 viewsIllinoisblue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:27 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Fair enough.

Anyone offended by it should not be given the time of day.

The only comedy I’m offended by is the unfunny stuff.

62 - 78 - 81

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024