Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too 11:00 - Jul 13 with 1750 viewsMullet

Looks like an adult too (assuming the picture is of him in a hat and glasses).

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:06 - Jul 13 with 1705 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Twitter?

Accounts need to become verified as the vicious abuse / trolling will otherwise never stop.

The people who send that type of abuse, probably get even more peverse pleasure out of what they do at the moment with the BLM movement gaining support.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:12 - Jul 13 with 1680 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:06 - Jul 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Twitter?

Accounts need to become verified as the vicious abuse / trolling will otherwise never stop.

The people who send that type of abuse, probably get even more peverse pleasure out of what they do at the moment with the BLM movement gaining support.

I've said it before and was shot down but in this day and age there has to be a way of accounts being registered to real people, via some central database that knows who you actually are.

If people want anonymity then they can have it via social media, but when stuff like this happens people need to know they will be held accountable.

How much hate would immediately vanish from social media? 80%? If people knew that they could be identified and held accountable it would massively change the face of the world.

Facebook at least tries to make you confirm you're a real person. Twitter is just allowing anyone to say anything and get away with it if they are clever enough not to make it obvious who they are.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:14 - Jul 13 with 1662 viewsfooters

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:12 - Jul 13 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I've said it before and was shot down but in this day and age there has to be a way of accounts being registered to real people, via some central database that knows who you actually are.

If people want anonymity then they can have it via social media, but when stuff like this happens people need to know they will be held accountable.

How much hate would immediately vanish from social media? 80%? If people knew that they could be identified and held accountable it would massively change the face of the world.

Facebook at least tries to make you confirm you're a real person. Twitter is just allowing anyone to say anything and get away with it if they are clever enough not to make it obvious who they are.

A lot of them are probably dim enough to use an account which uses their real credentials anyway. Obviously you're always going to get trolls who have enough about them to not use their real name and info, but given this lot aren't the brightest you'd hope they didn't cover their tracks...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:18 - Jul 13 with 1654 viewsLankHenners

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:12 - Jul 13 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It would be an absolute disaster if something like that was in place.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:56 - Jul 13 with 1565 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:18 - Jul 13 by LankHenners

It would be an absolute disaster if something like that was in place.

Care to explain why?

It would clearly do an enormous amount of good.

What's the issue if it's held securely? Banks keep all our details secure, so do the DVLA, DWP and so on. Of course there are breaches but this is getting harder and harder and it would depend who held this information.

But why would it be a 'disaster' having social media account holder details held like bank account holder details?

You don't prosecute people for disagreeing or having free speech. But you do when they start calling people a n*****

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:21 - Jul 13 with 1499 viewsLankHenners

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:56 - Jul 13 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Care to explain why?

What's the issue if it's held securely? Banks keep all our details secure, so do the DVLA, DWP and so on. Of course there are breaches but this is getting harder and harder and it would depend who held this information.

But why would it be a 'disaster' having social media account holder details held like bank account holder details?

You don't prosecute people for disagreeing or having free speech. But you do when they start calling people a n*****

For starters, the kid who abused Zaha used his real name so naive to think it would automatically stop all (or the majority of) abuse.

None of those examples are remotely comparable to a social media site. There's already a problem with Twitter's (in)ability to distinguish genuine instances of abuse from people abusing their reporting system to get someone they don't like banned. You would have those same problems but with the potential to essentially swat someone. Knowing someone's personal information is linked to their social media account would lead to people trying to access it if they wanted to (this would disproportionally affect groups who already get a lot of abuse). You can't do the same with their bank or DVLA account.

Not everyone has a passport or a driver's license, particular those from poorer backgrounds. The joy of social media is it's free to everyone and everyone can use it. Implementing a need for official documentation like that would put an invisible pay barrier up which would stop voices that are already underrepresented from being heard.

If you want to stop these things from happening you need to attack the roots of the problems, try to bring about real social change rather than a reactive measure that (whilst I appreciate is well-meaning) would cause more harm than good.

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:24 - Jul 13 with 1479 viewsLibero

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:06 - Jul 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Twitter?

I think that would stop a good proportion of it, however there are plenty of people out there who have no issues in being racist and attaching their name to it.
McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:43 - Jul 13 with 1400 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:21 - Jul 13 by LankHenners

For starters, the kid who abused Zaha used his real name so naive to think it would automatically stop all (or the majority of) abuse.

None of those examples are remotely comparable to a social media site. There's already a problem with Twitter's (in)ability to distinguish genuine instances of abuse from people abusing their reporting system to get someone they don't like banned. You would have those same problems but with the potential to essentially swat someone. Knowing someone's personal information is linked to their social media account would lead to people trying to access it if they wanted to (this would disproportionally affect groups who already get a lot of abuse). You can't do the same with their bank or DVLA account.

Not everyone has a passport or a driver's license, particular those from poorer backgrounds. The joy of social media is it's free to everyone and everyone can use it. Implementing a need for official documentation like that would put an invisible pay barrier up which would stop voices that are already underrepresented from being heard.

If you want to stop these things from happening you need to attack the roots of the problems, try to bring about real social change rather than a reactive measure that (whilst I appreciate is well-meaning) would cause more harm than good.

Most people have a birth certificate or immigration docs etc.

It shouldnt be that difficult to make sure people are identifiable, even if that means creating a new form of centrally held ID.

.....I guess we are then back to the ID cards debate.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:47 - Jul 13 with 1384 viewsLankHenners

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:43 - Jul 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

It shouldnt be that difficult to make sure people are identifiable, even if that means creating a new form of centrally held ID.

Making people identifiable is the central problem, we should not be doing it.

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:49 - Jul 13 with 1364 viewsThe_Last_Baron

There are ways of tracking someone down even with an anonymous Twitter account if enough resources are put into it. Unless they use the dark web.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:52 - Jul 13 with 1353 viewsWeWereZombies

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:24 - Jul 13 by Libero

I think that would stop a good proportion of it, however there are plenty of people out there who have no issues in being racist and attaching their name to it.

And there are others who may get someone else who they identify as impressionable, say a twelve year old boy, to post what they know they could not post without being caught. Indoctrination has many levels and pathways.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 14:06 - Jul 13 with 1210 viewsDanTheMan

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:49 - Jul 13 by The_Last_Baron

There are ways of tracking someone down even with an anonymous Twitter account if enough resources are put into it. Unless they use the dark web.

Watching people use terms they have no idea about is hilarious.

How would using the dark web whilst using Twitter help?

If I was to sign up to Twitter with an account name that is just a UUID and a throwaway email account, you'd not really be able to tell who it was, especially without any other corroborating evidence, such as links to other accounts. You could maybe, if I posted regularly, approximate a timezone.

@WarkTheWarkITFC

The reason your suggestion was shot down is that, on a technical level, it would incredibly difficult to implement.

For starters, if it was to work on the internet, by central you would need a globally central resource. Something of that size, which would need to be up basically all the time, would be fairly insane.

Not only that but almost every website on the internet with any sort of interactivity between people (such as this one) would then need to start storing PID data, complying to basically every single countries compliance data.

Then there's the inevitable problem of what happens when someone breaks in and can tie every single thing someone has said in an anonymous fashion to an actual person. That would be extremely dangerous.

Also it would need to be constantly updated.

I'm not saying that people like Twitter shouldn't police their own platforms more thoroughly than they do, but your solution would not solve anything than create an absolute insane amount of issues.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 14:42 - Jul 13 with 1147 viewsDarth_Koont

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:21 - Jul 13 by LankHenners

Well said.

I find the current defence of free speech and moralising about online behaviour extremely offensive considering the real, non-virtual shyte many of these empty f@ckpuppets are more than happy to live with and defend.

It's a similar situation in the US where a brutal system brutalizes people, leading to more crime and incarceration not less. You have to break the cycle with much more tolerance and social justice in the very first place.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 14:48]

Pronouns: He/Him

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 15:15 - Jul 13 with 1089 viewsOldsmoker

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 11:56 - Jul 13 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Care to explain why?

If you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.
I didn't do anything wrong (IMO) when I voted Remain, but it seems that remainers are now being blamed for Brexit going t*ts up.
It's a slippery slope.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 15:51 - Jul 13 with 1028 viewsGeoffSentence

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 12:43 - Jul 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

which is all fine if you are happy with a chinese style surveillance state.

If you aren't so happy with that then it is not so fine.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 16:33 - Jul 13 with 961 viewsjeera

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 15:51 - Jul 13 by GeoffSentence

which is all fine if you are happy with a chinese style surveillance state.

If you aren't so happy with that then it is not so fine.

Now we've got to learn Chinese as well?

The world is becoming a complicated place.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 17:55 - Jul 13 with 866 viewsbluerthanthou

McGoldrick receiving an N word laden message this weekend too on 16:33 - Jul 13 by jeera

Now we've got to learn Chinese as well?

The world is becoming a complicated place.

No need to learn it. We'll all be speaking Chinese when they turn the 5G up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024