Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number 11:47 - Jul 13 with 4435 viewsitfcjoe

Big development squad for this level, I'm sure a few will kick on into the first team squad though

U23
Aaron Drinan

U22
Barry Cotter
Ben Folami
Ben Morris

U21
Adam Przybek
Brett McGavin
Corrie Ndaba
Levi Andoh (I think)

U20
Bailey Clements
Dylan Crowe
Kai Brown
Thomas Hughes

U19
Allan Viral
Colin Oppong
Connor O'Reilly
Matt Healy
Tommy Smith
Tyreece Simpson
Zak Brown

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:51 - Jul 13 with 3380 viewsJackPITFC

Joe heard really good things at Oppong on loan when he went to Bury town as well, as someone who rates Tommy Smith personally any chance of them breaking through potentially as backup?
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:55 - Jul 13 with 3347 viewsitfcjoe

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:51 - Jul 13 by JackPITFC

Joe heard really good things at Oppong on loan when he went to Bury town as well, as someone who rates Tommy Smith personally any chance of them breaking through potentially as backup?

I think there is definitely an opportunity at left back for someone to break through at left back.

Looks like an area we will strengthen as Kenlock never really fully grabbed opportunity. Will Nydam go there as looked like he would last year, then behind him there is Bailey Clements, Tommy Smith, and then new scholar Albie Armin is a very bright prospect who could kick on.

not going to be easy for any of them, but feels a clearer route there if someone can really grab the bull by the horns

Oppong seems a bit further down the pecking ordr, only contracted until January so has work to do in first half of the season

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:55 - Jul 13 with 3338 viewsPJH

I am surprised that Simpson does not (yet) have an announced squad number because based on what little I saw of him at first team level at what became the end of the season I would expect him to make progress this next season.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:59 - Jul 13 with 3308 viewsPinewoodblue

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:55 - Jul 13 by PJH

I am surprised that Simpson does not (yet) have an announced squad number because based on what little I saw of him at first team level at what became the end of the season I would expect him to make progress this next season.

Simpson just one of the youngsters given squad numbers last season, but not next. Seems strange.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:01 - Jul 13 with 3287 viewsMattinLondon

A bit off-topic but as someone in their early 40s it doesn’t seem too far away when, if a player didn’t make their debut at 18/19 then they weren’t considered good enough and they were let go.

I know that football has moved on but surly if a player is 19+ and are still down the pecking order then they should be let go. I know that injuries mean that some players are a bit behind and should be given the time for the club to assess them properly.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:02 - Jul 13 with 3275 viewsIpswichKnight

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:55 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I think there is definitely an opportunity at left back for someone to break through at left back.

Looks like an area we will strengthen as Kenlock never really fully grabbed opportunity. Will Nydam go there as looked like he would last year, then behind him there is Bailey Clements, Tommy Smith, and then new scholar Albie Armin is a very bright prospect who could kick on.

not going to be easy for any of them, but feels a clearer route there if someone can really grab the bull by the horns

Oppong seems a bit further down the pecking ordr, only contracted until January so has work to do in first half of the season

Would you see Simpson going out on loan for the season? I could see why we like him he does offer something we don't have but he looked to me like he needed some proper game time week in week out at a lower level to learn the game more.

Was Zak Brown the one we picked up off Grays? or am I thinking of another one?
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:02 - Jul 13 with 3262 viewsBluefish

I expext PRP wants the squad to look small so that he can try to shift some blame to Evans again. 6 games in when 18th he can say what is he supposed to do with such a small squad

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:05 - Jul 13 with 3245 viewsPhilTWTD

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:01 - Jul 13 by MattinLondon

A bit off-topic but as someone in their early 40s it doesn’t seem too far away when, if a player didn’t make their debut at 18/19 then they weren’t considered good enough and they were let go.

I know that football has moved on but surly if a player is 19+ and are still down the pecking order then they should be let go. I know that injuries mean that some players are a bit behind and should be given the time for the club to assess them properly.

Players generally tend to establish themselves later these days, presumably due to the greater physicality of the game. And even in earlier days some players didn't make their mark until later, I can remember Joe Royle citing Marco van Basten as someone who didn't really make an impact until he was around 21 when discussing the matter when he was here.
Login to get fewer ads

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:06 - Jul 13 with 3228 viewsitfcjoe

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:59 - Jul 13 by Pinewoodblue

Simpson just one of the youngsters given squad numbers last season, but not next. Seems strange.

I personally wouldn't read much into that - think the same thing happened last year, they still have thier squad numbers, he will still be 47.

Key things to look out for are who is training with who when they come back, and who goes on first team tour (if there is one)

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:07 - Jul 13 with 3210 viewsPhilTWTD

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:06 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I personally wouldn't read much into that - think the same thing happened last year, they still have thier squad numbers, he will still be 47.

Key things to look out for are who is training with who when they come back, and who goes on first team tour (if there is one)

Don't think there will be a tour, just behind-closed-doors friendlies here.

This post has been edited by an administrator
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:07 - Jul 13 with 3210 viewsitfcjoe

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:02 - Jul 13 by IpswichKnight

Would you see Simpson going out on loan for the season? I could see why we like him he does offer something we don't have but he looked to me like he needed some proper game time week in week out at a lower level to learn the game more.

Was Zak Brown the one we picked up off Grays? or am I thinking of another one?

I think we'll struggle to get players out on loans into L2 so there may be some shorter spells in conference football for some of them. Ideally we'd get most out but not always that easy unless you want to drop them to levels which aren't always beneficial

Kai brown was from grays, Zak is Charlie's younger brother

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:12 - Jul 13 with 3162 viewsMattinLondon

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:05 - Jul 13 by PhilTWTD

Players generally tend to establish themselves later these days, presumably due to the greater physicality of the game. And even in earlier days some players didn't make their mark until later, I can remember Joe Royle citing Marco van Basten as someone who didn't really make an impact until he was around 21 when discussing the matter when he was here.

That’s a good point. Thanks Phil.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:44 - Jul 13 with 3036 viewsJackPITFC

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:55 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Is that Albie the one linked with Liverpool?
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:59 - Jul 13 with 2998 viewstextbackup

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 11:55 - Jul 13 by PJH

I’ll be honest, what I saw of Simpson, which isn’t much at all to judge on,but he barely had a touch, miscontrolled what he did, didn’t win a header, and 1 shot on target.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:11 - Jul 13 with 2941 viewsPJH

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:59 - Jul 13 by textbackup

I’ll be honest, what I saw of Simpson, which isn’t much at all to judge on,but he barely had a touch, miscontrolled what he did, didn’t win a header, and 1 shot on target.

He looked ok at Blackpool but that was only as an 84th minute sub-on what I saw there made me form the opinion that he might be useful.

I know that he had longer against Fleetwood and against Coventry but at Blackpool I was quite impressed.

I know that a bit more than six minutes in one game does not decide whether a player will make it or not but what I saw there made me think that he might.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:12 - Jul 13 with 2930 viewsfactual_blue

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:05 - Jul 13 by PhilTWTD

So there's hope for you yet Phil.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:15 - Jul 13 with 2905 viewsLibero

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 12:59 - Jul 13 by textbackup

Yup, the small amount I saw of him really showcased he has some impressive physical attributes for such a young player but actually his footballing ability has a way to go to catch up.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:22 - Jul 13 with 2859 viewslinhdi

Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane took years before they established themselves. Certainly it is becoming quite common for players not to be first teamers until their early 20s now.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:27 - Jul 13 with 2814 viewsBluefish

Bloody exciting isn't it? Can he be the next Nouble, Quaner or Sammon? Being raw is fine so long as you continue to develop

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:29 - Jul 13 with 2810 viewsLibero

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:27 - Jul 13 by Bluefish

Bloody exciting isn't it? Can he be the next Nouble, Quaner or Sammon? Being raw is fine so long as you continue to develop

I want Frank Nouble back here.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 14:02 - Jul 13 with 2728 viewsrickw

I think we'll probably try to sell Drinan and Cotter, and hope to loan out a lot of the others.

I did hope/expect Przybek will be our back-up keeper and I hoped Morris could challenge for a place in the team....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 14:07 - Jul 13 with 2702 viewsitfc_bucks

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:29 - Jul 13 by Libero

I want Frank Nouble back here.

I suppose we do need more bar staff in the North stand lower.
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 14:08 - Jul 13 with 2697 viewsLibero

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 14:07 - Jul 13 by itfc_bucks

I suppose we do need more bar staff in the North stand lower.

He's a decent rotational option at this level and offers a physical presence that none of our current strikers do.

BRING BACK FRANK.

CL4CK!
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 14:17 - Jul 13 with 2658 viewsgordon

To be fair, Drinan and Cotter are presumably only still here because they were initially given too long contracts, and they're still contracted and no-one else has offered to take them, while Morris and Folami both missed a year with injury.

Be interesting to see what happens with Clements, Crowe, Kai Brown and Hughes this season - I'd guess that out of the players from your U23 to U20 groups only 3 or 4 will still be here at the start of the 2021 season, and we could easily see all the U23 to U21 players gone over the next year.

[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 14:19]
19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 14:26 - Jul 13 with 2607 viewsPhilTWTD

19 players too old for the U18s and not with a squad number on 13:12 - Jul 13 by factual_blue

So there's hope for you yet Phil.

Not quite that much later unfortunately.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024