Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What to set the WI? 18:20 - Jul 19 with 2880 viewsChrisd

If you were Root, what should we set WI or do we bat a certain amount of overs and then put them in? I’d be tempted to change the batting line up to score runs quickly.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 8:23]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What do set the WI? on 18:24 - Jul 19 with 2469 viewsEastTownBlue

Stokes and Buttler opening. Certainly a statement of intent.

Edit - not quite worked as planned.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 18:25]
What do set the WI? on 18:38 - Jul 19 with 2440 viewsshouldistayorcounago

What do set the WI? on 18:24 - Jul 19 by EastTownBlue

Stokes and Buttler opening. Certainly a statement of intent.

Edit - not quite worked as planned.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 18:25]

Think we all knew Buttler was getting bowled out early
What do set the WI? on 18:38 - Jul 19 with 2439 viewssparks

Think we need at least 350. Probably need to bat for an hour in the morning, like its a T20.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

What do set the WI? on 18:40 - Jul 19 with 2419 viewsHerbivore

What do set the WI? on 18:38 - Jul 19 by sparks

Think we need at least 350. Probably need to bat for an hour in the morning, like its a T20.

At least 350? That's very cautious and will take too much time out of the game. Set them 300-320 depending on how quickly we score. We shouldn't need more than that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What do set the WI? on 18:42 - Jul 19 with 2432 viewshampstead_blue

The key is getting two new balls for the 4th innings.

The second new ball cleaned up the tail in no time.

300 is plenty, I'd even offer them 285 as a carrot. We have to be bold.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

What do set the WI? on 18:45 - Jul 19 with 2428 viewsFtnfwest

98 overs tomorrow so need to have 84 or 85 against them so we get a second new ball briefly at the end as a last resort if we need it. So in that time plus whatever few we manage tonight need to get it up to 300 probably
What do set the WI? on 18:53 - Jul 19 with 2416 viewsChrisd

What do set the WI? on 18:38 - Jul 19 by sparks

Surely too many Sparks? 275. Give them something competitive to chase, but gives us enough overs to bowl them out. Mind you we keep losing wickets, Root won’t need to worry about setting them a score.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 18:55]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What do set the WI? on 18:57 - Jul 19 with 2402 viewsAce_High1

We need to get on and bowl. We have nothing to lose a draw is no good to us so go all out for the win. Also with a lower target the WI will go for it, which will mean they give us more chances to take wickets.
Login to get fewer ads

What do set the WI? on 19:00 - Jul 19 with 2390 viewssparks

What do set the WI? on 18:42 - Jul 19 by hampstead_blue

The Windies are horribly capable of scoring fast. And our bowlers are (1) tired; (2) missing 3 of our best 5 seamers in Anderson, Wood and Archer; and (3) relying on Dom Bess who, frankly, has not been accurate enough in this test for me. Nor really spun it much.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

What do set the WI? on 19:02 - Jul 19 with 2380 viewssparks

What do set the WI? on 18:57 - Jul 19 by Ace_High1

We need to get on and bowl. We have nothing to lose a draw is no good to us so go all out for the win. Also with a lower target the WI will go for it, which will mean they give us more chances to take wickets.

Its only a 4th day pitch- and its pretty tame. They can definitely get 260.

They won with 200 for 6 in 60 overs in the 1st test.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 19:03]

What do set the WI? on 19:02 - Jul 19 with 2377 viewsAce_High1

What do set the WI? on 19:00 - Jul 19 by sparks

The Windies are horribly capable of scoring fast. And our bowlers are (1) tired; (2) missing 3 of our best 5 seamers in Anderson, Wood and Archer; and (3) relying on Dom Bess who, frankly, has not been accurate enough in this test for me. Nor really spun it much.

We have nothing to lose.

No point getting them 5 down and its a draw.

All or bust.
What do set the WI? on 19:03 - Jul 19 with 2371 viewsAce_High1

What do set the WI? on 19:02 - Jul 19 by sparks

Its only a 4th day pitch- and its pretty tame. They can definitely get 260.

They won with 200 for 6 in 60 overs in the 1st test.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 19:03]

Yes noted, but I am not worried about that. Its about leaving us enough time to take 10 wickets.

If they knock it off, well done and a deserved win.

We are 1-0 in a 3 match series, nothing to lose.
What do set the WI? on 19:04 - Jul 19 with 2364 viewsShawsey

Go all T20 on them. Anything above 270 gives us a real chance. Do not bat beyond lunch tomorrow.
What do set the WI? on 19:07 - Jul 19 with 2357 viewssparks

What do set the WI? on 19:03 - Jul 19 by Ace_High1

Yes noted, but I am not worried about that. Its about leaving us enough time to take 10 wickets.

If they knock it off, well done and a deserved win.

We are 1-0 in a 3 match series, nothing to lose.

Everthing to lose. Whilst the Wisden trophy is there- 2-0 down in a 3 match series, is a lost series...

What do set the WI? on 19:08 - Jul 19 with 2351 viewsAce_High1

What do set the WI? on 19:07 - Jul 19 by sparks

Everthing to lose. Whilst the Wisden trophy is there- 2-0 down in a 3 match series, is a lost series...

A drawn series at home to the WI with the Wisden trophy going back to the Caribbean is as good as a series loss.

A loss in all but name.

Forget the word test championship that will not happen now, and anyway we would not be making the final.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 19:09]
What do set the WI? on 19:16 - Jul 19 with 2333 viewssparks

What do set the WI? on 19:08 - Jul 19 by Ace_High1

A drawn series at home to the WI with the Wisden trophy going back to the Caribbean is as good as a series loss.

A loss in all but name.

Forget the word test championship that will not happen now, and anyway we would not be making the final.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 19:09]

I think the two new balls point is probably important. Which may mean we need to take a flyer on it- and only a couple of overs in the morning.

What do set the WI? on 19:21 - Jul 19 with 2325 viewsvapour_trail

What do set the WI? on 19:16 - Jul 19 by sparks

I think the two new balls point is probably important. Which may mean we need to take a flyer on it- and only a couple of overs in the morning.

Broad was advocating this approach at stumps. Think we’ll take a punt at it.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

What do set the WI? on 19:46 - Jul 19 with 2286 viewsMullet

Thought I was going to get some wicked jam recipes, disappointed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What do set the WI? on 19:52 - Jul 19 with 2277 viewsSteve_M

What do set the WI? on 19:21 - Jul 19 by vapour_trail

Broad was advocating this approach at stumps. Think we’ll take a punt at it.

Going at 4.5 an over this evening was at least a decent start.

Shame to have lost all of Saturday but I'm enjoying the cricket far more than any football at the moment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What do set the WI? on 19:54 - Jul 19 with 2274 viewsstonojnr

What do set the WI? on 18:42 - Jul 19 by hampstead_blue

dont the West Indies hold the record for 300+ run chases, maybe not a recent record, but anything around 300 is gettable if they put their minds to it, 350 would be the ideal IMO but depends how long it takes to get it. But Vaughan seems to think 280 will be fine.
What do set the WI? on 20:00 - Jul 19 with 2256 viewsAce_High1

What do set the WI? on 19:52 - Jul 19 by Steve_M

Going at 4.5 an over this evening was at least a decent start.

Shame to have lost all of Saturday but I'm enjoying the cricket far more than any football at the moment.

The worst thing about this country..... the unreliable weather.

As soon as the cricket came back it has been constant showers and changeable, whereas before it was a good few weeks of hot sunshine.

That is why Australia is the best place - top cricket nation and much better weather!
What do set the WI? on 20:02 - Jul 19 with 2247 viewsFtnfwest

What do set the WI? on 19:16 - Jul 19 by sparks

98 tomorrow because of the lost time. The longer we bat the more time windies can waste, and why wouldn’t they?
What do set the WI? on 20:04 - Jul 19 with 2242 viewssparks

What do set the WI? on 20:00 - Jul 19 by Ace_High1

The worst thing about this country..... the unreliable weather.

As soon as the cricket came back it has been constant showers and changeable, whereas before it was a good few weeks of hot sunshine.

That is why Australia is the best place - top cricket nation and much better weather!

Fecking SPIDERS

What do set the WI? on 20:18 - Jul 19 with 2221 viewsvapour_trail

What do set the WI? on 20:02 - Jul 19 by Ftnfwest

98 tomorrow because of the lost time. The longer we bat the more time windies can waste, and why wouldn’t they?

Is that 98 guaranteed? Assuming it’s dry of course.

So lose 2 in the changeover, want say half a dozen with the second new ball, that leaves ten overs, at 4.5 an over would leave us with a lead of 264.

Going to have to really go for it in the morning.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

What do set the WI? on 21:03 - Jul 19 with 2173 viewsFtnfwest

What do set the WI? on 20:18 - Jul 19 by vapour_trail

Is that 98 guaranteed? Assuming it’s dry of course.

So lose 2 in the changeover, want say half a dozen with the second new ball, that leaves ten overs, at 4.5 an over would leave us with a lead of 264.

Going to have to really go for it in the morning.

Yep need 60 or 70 off something like 10-12 overs basically. I think with 280 maybe, even if windies start looking like they might get somewhere near, we can always slow it down a bit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024