Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Look at their squads and then compare ours 10:14 - Jul 23 with 15194 viewsChrisd

Appreciate they will lose some of their players, but when you look at Hull City, Wigan and Charlton now you can argue all three of those sides have squads that are far superior to ours from last season and they all amassed points totals in the mid to high 40s, not a paltry 31 and well adrift of safety. So once again, why did we feel that our squad was too good for L1? I think Joe, posted a thread about our current squad positionally, it highlighted that we have areas of the pitch that lacks: experience, proven quality and depth. It will be even harder this coming season too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:12 - Jul 23 with 3013 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:07 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

I know it well enough to make a comparison with our squad, yes. You don't seem to understand that when assessing the quality of our squad in respect of challenging for promotion you need to the strength of other squads at this level as a basis for comparison. Knowing our squad alone doesn't cut it. You cannot confidently say the squad wasn't good enough for promotion when you don't know how good other sides' squads were, that just doesn't work.

You’re talking BS right there, I’m afraid. You don’t know the other sides well enough, you’re making a random statement to suit your own agenda, but a good try. Let’s get back to the original point. I’ll give you some names and you tell me the quality level you think they are instead of trying to impress me with your knowledge of other sides in L1.

Tomas Holy - L1 keeper for me. Your view?

This down arrowing is fun, I forgot you’re the only one that really uses it on this forum especially if they don’t agree with your view. 🤣
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 18:18]

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:19 - Jul 23 with 3001 viewsShawsey

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:13 - Jul 23 by bournemouthblue

I'm not so convinced myself, I think we lacked physicality down the spine of the side

That's something Rotherham had but we certainly didn't

We were fairly average before KVY came in and once he was injured, we went back to being average

If we don't make some smart signings this transfer window, we'll have another disappointing season

Totally agree. We need some fight in the middle. A nasty little sh1t, who gets booked and maybe sent off occasionally, but somebody the opposition fear. We were far to soft last season. Whilst it goes against most of what we stand for, L1 is a hard league to get out off. we need some bite.
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:26 - Jul 23 with 2990 viewsHerbivore

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:12 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

You’re talking BS right there, I’m afraid. You don’t know the other sides well enough, you’re making a random statement to suit your own agenda, but a good try. Let’s get back to the original point. I’ll give you some names and you tell me the quality level you think they are instead of trying to impress me with your knowledge of other sides in L1.

This down arrowing is fun, I forgot you’re the only one that really uses it on this forum especially if they don’t agree with your view. 🤣

Jesus wept. If you are making a statement about the quality of our squad relative to the league we are in and the other sides in that division you need to be able to appraise the quality of the other squads as well as our own. That is not me making stuff up. That is basic reasoning.

I can't believe I've let myself be Christianed. Good work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:33 - Jul 23 with 2969 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:26 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

Jesus wept. If you are making a statement about the quality of our squad relative to the league we are in and the other sides in that division you need to be able to appraise the quality of the other squads as well as our own. That is not me making stuff up. That is basic reasoning.

I can't believe I've let myself be Christianed. Good work.

You’re clearly not allowed an opinion, unless you’re fully emerged in following other sides in this league to the same extent of your own club, interesting, but I hope we all take note. Just hope Phil and Gav are reading this, you might need to close down the website chaps. No, basic reasoning is watching games involving your own team and drawing comparisons from those. Not knowing all the L1 opposition inside out isn’t a vital commodity. Looks like I’ve been Herbivored!

Coming back to the point raised previously....starting with Tomas Holy. Let’s see what you really think?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 18:37]

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:38 - Jul 23 with 2959 viewsHerbivore

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:33 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

You’re clearly not allowed an opinion, unless you’re fully emerged in following other sides in this league to the same extent of your own club, interesting, but I hope we all take note. Just hope Phil and Gav are reading this, you might need to close down the website chaps. No, basic reasoning is watching games involving your own team and drawing comparisons from those. Not knowing all the L1 opposition inside out isn’t a vital commodity. Looks like I’ve been Herbivored!

Coming back to the point raised previously....starting with Tomas Holy. Let’s see what you really think?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 18:37]

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:40 - Jul 23 with 2958 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:38 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

I like how you’re mixing it up to avoid actually answering question. If it’s not the customary Herbivore down arrow, he’s now going with the emoji. Keeping us all on our toes!!

Tomas Holy?

No offence, but if you’re not going to answer the question, time to move on.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 18:42]

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:43 - Jul 23 with 2942 viewsShawsey

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:40 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

I like how you’re mixing it up to avoid actually answering question. If it’s not the customary Herbivore down arrow, he’s now going with the emoji. Keeping us all on our toes!!

Tomas Holy?

I'll play.
Tomas Holy? L1 at best.
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:44 - Jul 23 with 2939 viewsJ2BLUE

Tomas Holy?

Very competent league one keeper. Swapping him around at random with Norris was one reason we finished where we did. Agree entirely with Herbivore, this squad should have been in the top 6 at a minimum and it was Lambert's management which messed things up. If we had MM/Warnock here last season we would now be preparing for the Championship.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:47 - Jul 23 with 2934 viewsHerbivore

Tomas Holy?

Tomas Holy is a goalkeeper, not a question. There's no point debating with you, that's been demonstrsted time and again. It's also clear that you can't grasp that assessing whether a player or squad is good relative to League 1 you need to have an idea of the quality of the league, not just the capacity to arbitrarily say 'League 1' or 'League 2 at best' about one of our players whilst having no idea what the overall quality of player in those leagues is like. You can't seem to get your head around that so there's not a lot of point in continuing.

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:48 - Jul 23 with 2931 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:43 - Jul 23 by Shawsey

I'll play.
Tomas Holy? L1 at best.

Good for you Shawsey. I’m just playing Devil’s advocate really, but if I listed the whole squad and posters gave their view it might give a clearer indication as to what our squad looks like in terms of quality instead of just saying they’re simply too good for L1, if you catch my meaning.

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:57 - Jul 23 with 2917 viewsShawsey

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:48 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

Good for you Shawsey. I’m just playing Devil’s advocate really, but if I listed the whole squad and posters gave their view it might give a clearer indication as to what our squad looks like in terms of quality instead of just saying they’re simply too good for L1, if you catch my meaning.

I think very few of our squad could be classed as too good for L1. That isn't all bad news. We just need those who were here last season to learn from that and push on this season. A manager who knows and plays 1 system would help. A settle starting X1 would help our cause no end.
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:59 - Jul 23 with 2915 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:47 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

Tomas Holy is a goalkeeper, not a question. There's no point debating with you, that's been demonstrsted time and again. It's also clear that you can't grasp that assessing whether a player or squad is good relative to League 1 you need to have an idea of the quality of the league, not just the capacity to arbitrarily say 'League 1' or 'League 2 at best' about one of our players whilst having no idea what the overall quality of player in those leagues is like. You can't seem to get your head around that so there's not a lot of point in continuing.

Give it a rest then. The question was suggested in previous posts, but you‘ve got to be pedantic. No point continuing with someone that is really drawing out the fact that in response to the original question you can’t pass judgement on our players if you don’t extensively know all the other L1 squads, embarrassing response really. You think we have a squad that should’ve got promotion, like some others on here and I disagree, like some other posters - it’s all good. It’s ok to have a difference of opinion, I guess some don’t like getting challenged. I’m leaving it there because I feel this thread is getting ruined, but no doubt you’ll respond because you must have the last word. Down arrow incoming or will it be an emoji?!
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 19:00]

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 19:14 - Jul 23 with 2891 viewsBlueBadger

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:09 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

This is my point exactly, we came down with 31 points!! So with you saying Charlton and Hull are both dire, Christ knows what people thought of us then when we arrived in L1, an embarrassment?! Yes, PL certainly didn't help matters with his endless rotating and change of formation , but it also shows that perhaps we, as Town fans, believe our side is far better than what it actually is?

We DO still have Lambert in charge though and there's unlikely to be wholsesale changes to playing staff. The only thing they might be a threat to, is our 15th place next season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 19:15 - Jul 23 with 2884 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 19:14 - Jul 23 by BlueBadger

We DO still have Lambert in charge though and there's unlikely to be wholsesale changes to playing staff. The only thing they might be a threat to, is our 15th place next season.

That’s true!! 😃

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 19:43 - Jul 23 with 2869 viewsHerbivore

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:59 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

Give it a rest then. The question was suggested in previous posts, but you‘ve got to be pedantic. No point continuing with someone that is really drawing out the fact that in response to the original question you can’t pass judgement on our players if you don’t extensively know all the other L1 squads, embarrassing response really. You think we have a squad that should’ve got promotion, like some others on here and I disagree, like some other posters - it’s all good. It’s ok to have a difference of opinion, I guess some don’t like getting challenged. I’m leaving it there because I feel this thread is getting ruined, but no doubt you’ll respond because you must have the last word. Down arrow incoming or will it be an emoji?!
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 19:00]

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 19:47 - Jul 23 with 2865 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 19:43 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

Knew he couldn’t resist, says it all....emoji and down arrow!
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 19:49]

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 20:03 - Jul 23 with 2851 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 14:57 - Jul 23 by Garv

Definitely. Dobra should have been used more than he has been so hopefully he really kicks on.

I want us to be looking for a Chambers replacement sooner or later, not because he shouldn't be in the side but he's in his last year and it would be great to find someone we could mould into a captain and ultimately replace Chambo with.

Kenlock and Nydam isn't really enough for the left side so agree there too.

I say it every year but I also feel we need more wide options. Yes, Lankester is coming back (though has now been out of action for 18 months for various reasons) but we've lost Rowe so we're back to square one numbers wise.

I think the situation with Dobra was, Lambert wasn’t willing to use him if he wasn’t committed to a longer term deal etc. That’s what I was told anyway. With him signing that long term deal I firmly expect him to be involved. Let’s remember him and Bailey Clements were the only two u23’s who were taken out to Germany for pre season last year so I think Lambert knows and sees his talents.

Chambers is fast approaching 35, a long term replacement should have been here last year for him, I hope we don’t let another season go through without looking to long term replace him.

Nydam I think deserves a look at LB, looked ok pre season last year prior to injury. But you need a proven left back for sure.

I look at the wide options - Dobra/Edwards/Lankester/Sears - not horrendous. But would prefer Sears to be used as bench option striker, and find another left sided winger.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 20:49]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 20:40 - Jul 23 with 2829 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 13:32 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

This has reassured me that our squad was plenty good enough and should have gone up.

The fact you’ve tried to oppose this view validates to me my opinion was correct on this, again.

I have to say, you’re border line stalking me these days, I have my first fan I think.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 08:29 - Jul 24 with 2786 viewsitfcjoe

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 18:12 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

Of course you do, this is just a mental viewpoint.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 08:31 - Jul 24 with 2784 viewsitfcjoe

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 20:03 - Jul 23 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think the situation with Dobra was, Lambert wasn’t willing to use him if he wasn’t committed to a longer term deal etc. That’s what I was told anyway. With him signing that long term deal I firmly expect him to be involved. Let’s remember him and Bailey Clements were the only two u23’s who were taken out to Germany for pre season last year so I think Lambert knows and sees his talents.

Chambers is fast approaching 35, a long term replacement should have been here last year for him, I hope we don’t let another season go through without looking to long term replace him.

Nydam I think deserves a look at LB, looked ok pre season last year prior to injury. But you need a proven left back for sure.

I look at the wide options - Dobra/Edwards/Lankester/Sears - not horrendous. But would prefer Sears to be used as bench option striker, and find another left sided winger.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 20:49]

That wasn't the case with Dobra

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 08:53 - Jul 24 with 2769 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 08:29 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

Of course you do, this is just a mental viewpoint.

A mental viewpoint is believing you know other L1 clubs as well as your own and if you don't you're not entitled to form an opinion or draw a comparison. If that's the case, then 99.9% of us on here shouldn't be making any judgement. We react to what we've just seen, not because of extensive research of the opposition, like most normal supporters do.

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 09:00 - Jul 24 with 2760 viewsitfcjoe

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 08:53 - Jul 24 by Chrisd

A mental viewpoint is believing you know other L1 clubs as well as your own and if you don't you're not entitled to form an opinion or draw a comparison. If that's the case, then 99.9% of us on here shouldn't be making any judgement. We react to what we've just seen, not because of extensive research of the opposition, like most normal supporters do.

There is a massive difference between knowing L1 clubs as well as your own than actually having some basis of understanding of the squads you are up against.

You've literally started this thread talking about the squads of Wigan, Hull and Charlton and saying how good they are but now when asked for a view on Wycombe's squad, a direct competitor you say "Sorry, I don’t know the Wycombe side well enough to make a comparison."

But you know the Wigan, Hull and Charlton squads well enough to do so? It's not difficult to gain a working knowledge of the squads in the rest of the league, in the calibre of players they have, the depth they have etc.

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 09:07 - Jul 24 with 2752 viewsHerbivore

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 09:00 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

There is a massive difference between knowing L1 clubs as well as your own than actually having some basis of understanding of the squads you are up against.

You've literally started this thread talking about the squads of Wigan, Hull and Charlton and saying how good they are but now when asked for a view on Wycombe's squad, a direct competitor you say "Sorry, I don’t know the Wycombe side well enough to make a comparison."

But you know the Wigan, Hull and Charlton squads well enough to do so? It's not difficult to gain a working knowledge of the squads in the rest of the league, in the calibre of players they have, the depth they have etc.

Precisely this. Of course I don't know the other sides in this league as well as I know ours, but I know enough about the players they have to be able to compare our squad with them. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can say we weren't good enough on paper to challenge for promotion when they say they don't know how good any of our competitors were. It just doesn't make any sense.

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 09:09 - Jul 24 with 2750 viewsitfcjoe

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 09:07 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

Precisely this. Of course I don't know the other sides in this league as well as I know ours, but I know enough about the players they have to be able to compare our squad with them. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can say we weren't good enough on paper to challenge for promotion when they say they don't know how good any of our competitors were. It just doesn't make any sense.

Also if Lambert led a side that wasn't good enough to 11th, pushing for the play offs then he wouldn't be seen as such a failure

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 09:14 - Jul 24 with 2741 viewsHerbivore

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 09:09 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

Also if Lambert led a side that wasn't good enough to 11th, pushing for the play offs then he wouldn't be seen as such a failure

By literally everyone. That piece in the EADT where local journalists from the other League 1 sides gave their view on the season was really telling. I think the only person that didn't name Lambert the car crash of the season acknowledged that they weren't going to say him because it was too obvious. These journalists - who know League 1 well - all thought we should have been up there. When you factor in the headstart we had after picking up 27 points in 11 games it makes it an even worse failure. If we'd been bang average rather than lower mid table over the rest of the season we'd likely have made the play offs at least.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024