Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment 14:10 - Aug 7 with 12145 viewsSteve_M

Poor Test from England, very good one from Pakistan so far.

With Stokes as a batsman him and Root are one place too far up and the order but the bowling yesterday gave Pakistan far too many easy runs.

Another defeat in the first Test of a series unless something unexpected happens. Broad's done his big score for the Summer but be nice to see another one and get to around 250.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:29 - Aug 7 with 6258 viewsFtnfwest

There was a sort of 'one off' gamblers logic to the third test selection v windies but to keep with it now was ridiculous. I know stokes can't bowl at the moment, but to select 4 right arm over seamers v what is a good side is ridiculous. Assuming a heavy defeat, which it looks like it will be, i'd have crawley, foakes and leach in for anderson, buttler and bess. Maybe even give wood a game for archer just to rest him for one. Jimmy's still got a part to play for a while yet but not more game time than any of the other seamers i'd say.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:32 - Aug 7 with 6249 viewsWD19

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:29 - Aug 7 by Ftnfwest

There was a sort of 'one off' gamblers logic to the third test selection v windies but to keep with it now was ridiculous. I know stokes can't bowl at the moment, but to select 4 right arm over seamers v what is a good side is ridiculous. Assuming a heavy defeat, which it looks like it will be, i'd have crawley, foakes and leach in for anderson, buttler and bess. Maybe even give wood a game for archer just to rest him for one. Jimmy's still got a part to play for a while yet but not more game time than any of the other seamers i'd say.

Yes, Foakes and Crawley have to come in.

What we do with the bowlers is a complete lottery. Leach isn’t good enough though.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 15:28 - Aug 7 with 6219 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:32 - Aug 7 by WD19

Yes, Foakes and Crawley have to come in.

What we do with the bowlers is a complete lottery. Leach isn’t good enough though.

We badly miss a leggie, Parkinson isn't experienced enough for test matches in England yet ( plus think he might be injured as well ). I maintain we should go into every match with at least one bowler capable of 95mph regularly especially as Jofra seems to have lost that extra 10mph of pace he had when knocking Aussies over. Be it Wood, Robinson or Stone ( not Stone currently as injured again ) one should always be playing.

Still think we should be looking to get Lawrence in the side as well. Am starting to get a bit concerned about Pope he's doing an Ian Bell/James Vince getting lovely 50/60's but they are no good you need to be going on to get the big 100's that win you games.

That all said I'd be pleasently surprised if any changes are made for the next test other than Anderson probably being rested for Wood and Crawley in Woakes ( if Stoakes can bowl ). It seems it's very much a closed shop if your not in the 13 then it's really hard to break into it or get thrown out of it!
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:12 - Aug 7 with 6181 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:29 - Aug 7 by Ftnfwest

Well, it’s moved on a bit. Useful runs from Broad and a much better bowling performance at least give England a chance.

Shouldn’t blind anyone to the selection being wrong and England being poor earlier in the match.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:18 - Aug 7 with 6171 viewsShawsey

We should be chasing 250ish and fancy us to get it. 1-0 up I reckon.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:19 - Aug 8 with 6076 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 15:28 - Aug 7 by IpswichKnight

We badly miss a leggie, Parkinson isn't experienced enough for test matches in England yet ( plus think he might be injured as well ). I maintain we should go into every match with at least one bowler capable of 95mph regularly especially as Jofra seems to have lost that extra 10mph of pace he had when knocking Aussies over. Be it Wood, Robinson or Stone ( not Stone currently as injured again ) one should always be playing.

Still think we should be looking to get Lawrence in the side as well. Am starting to get a bit concerned about Pope he's doing an Ian Bell/James Vince getting lovely 50/60's but they are no good you need to be going on to get the big 100's that win you games.

That all said I'd be pleasently surprised if any changes are made for the next test other than Anderson probably being rested for Wood and Crawley in Woakes ( if Stoakes can bowl ). It seems it's very much a closed shop if your not in the 13 then it's really hard to break into it or get thrown out of it!

That’s unfair regarding Pope IMO, he’s shown in his last couple of innings that he’s a talented batsmen and certainly a better prospect than James Vince, who’d score a stylish 20 or 30 and then caught out with a wafty drive outside of his off stump. I think you need to have a look at Root and Stokes, they just aren’t really contributing with the bat at the moment and that really restricts us. Although I would also like to see Essex’s Lawrence involved, it’s tough when Crawley has been dropped and he’s not done too much wrong. Seems like Lawrence needs to just keep churning out the runs on the county scene and give the selectors a gentle reminder.

What England have got is a good nucleus of players for our test squad, which is very encouraging in going forwards, but I do worry about our spin department. I’m still not convinced by Bess and if you ask many Somerset supporters they rate Leach as the better bowler, but are either of them going to win you a game by taking the wickets needed? I’m not too convinced.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 6:32]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:40 - Aug 8 with 6057 viewsYallop

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:19 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

That’s unfair regarding Pope IMO, he’s shown in his last couple of innings that he’s a talented batsmen and certainly a better prospect than James Vince, who’d score a stylish 20 or 30 and then caught out with a wafty drive outside of his off stump. I think you need to have a look at Root and Stokes, they just aren’t really contributing with the bat at the moment and that really restricts us. Although I would also like to see Essex’s Lawrence involved, it’s tough when Crawley has been dropped and he’s not done too much wrong. Seems like Lawrence needs to just keep churning out the runs on the county scene and give the selectors a gentle reminder.

What England have got is a good nucleus of players for our test squad, which is very encouraging in going forwards, but I do worry about our spin department. I’m still not convinced by Bess and if you ask many Somerset supporters they rate Leach as the better bowler, but are either of them going to win you a game by taking the wickets needed? I’m not too convinced.

Stokes not contributing with the bat ?! So his 78 and 176 in the second test three weeks ago and highest batting average is already forgotten
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:55 - Aug 8 with 6050 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:40 - Aug 8 by Yallop

Stokes not contributing with the bat ?! So his 78 and 176 in the second test three weeks ago and highest batting average is already forgotten

Fair point, but did he not score a total of 363 runs in the WI series? So in 2 innings he’s amassed 254 of those runs. Yes, I have to admit I’d forgotten those innings by Stokes, I suppose having that consistency to deliver is the point I’m trying to make. We do rely on Root and Stokes so heavily and in a way keep expecting them to deliver. Root just hasn’t produced a score since replacing Denly, which is bit of a worry, but he seems to go through these periods and then gets his scoring back and goes on a good run of form. Fingers crossed that might start during our second innings against Pakistan.

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 07:02 - Aug 8 with 6041 viewsbournemouthblue

Will England make it past 200 when they do bat

I know the record chases at Old Trafford weren't that high but a lot of them featured chases where not a lot of wickets were lost either so it's an interesting one

It's worth noting that the ground has been reoriented since a lot of those records occured and it therefore isn't an exact science on how this is likely to pan out

Pakistan look to have a very decent attack, it's going to be tough

I always think if the tail hang about, it's the sign the pitch is quite flat so we'll see what goes on today

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 07:27 - Aug 8 with 6026 viewsAce_High1

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:55 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Fair point, but did he not score a total of 363 runs in the WI series? So in 2 innings he’s amassed 254 of those runs. Yes, I have to admit I’d forgotten those innings by Stokes, I suppose having that consistency to deliver is the point I’m trying to make. We do rely on Root and Stokes so heavily and in a way keep expecting them to deliver. Root just hasn’t produced a score since replacing Denly, which is bit of a worry, but he seems to go through these periods and then gets his scoring back and goes on a good run of form. Fingers crossed that might start during our second innings against Pakistan.

Root is a strange one as I can't recall many of his innings really and I can't say I enjoy watching him bat - for me he is a bit like Atherton who just accumulates runs and yes he does have a decent record. But he has been left behind by the pure desire for runs that the likes of Smith and Kohli have - once they are in you are going to really struggle to get them out whereas Root always has a soft dismissal in him.

Pope is a good player and Stokes has been our best batsmen now for the last 2 years. I also do not think Root is a good enough captain and his batting has tailed off over the last 3 years as most of our captains do.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 7:36]
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 07:51 - Aug 8 with 6002 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:55 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Really don’t see how you get to Stokes underperforming with the bat this Sunmer, pure #rootmaths He’s a place too high at the moment and got the new ball moving this Test.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 08:06 - Aug 8 with 5979 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 07:51 - Aug 8 by Steve_M

Really don’t see how you get to Stokes underperforming with the bat this Sunmer, pure #rootmaths He’s a place too high at the moment and got the new ball moving this Test.

You’re probably right there Steve, I should’ve had my morning coffee first before posting to wake me up and to help me think clearer.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 08:24 - Aug 8 with 5963 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 06:19 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Agree on Pope and harsh also on Bell who made twenty odd test hundreds.

Fascinating test match right in the balance now.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 10:37 - Aug 8 with 5922 viewsAce_High1

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 08:24 - Aug 8 by vapour_trail

Agree on Pope and harsh also on Bell who made twenty odd test hundreds.

Fascinating test match right in the balance now.

Looking forward to a day of watching this in the garden.

Think it could be a classic test, we need to get off to a good start with the bat.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 10:59 - Aug 8 with 5905 viewsWD19

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 07:27 - Aug 8 by Ace_High1

Root is a strange one as I can't recall many of his innings really and I can't say I enjoy watching him bat - for me he is a bit like Atherton who just accumulates runs and yes he does have a decent record. But he has been left behind by the pure desire for runs that the likes of Smith and Kohli have - once they are in you are going to really struggle to get them out whereas Root always has a soft dismissal in him.

Pope is a good player and Stokes has been our best batsmen now for the last 2 years. I also do not think Root is a good enough captain and his batting has tailed off over the last 3 years as most of our captains do.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 7:36]

Root still has the air of the class clown giggling his way through being captain.....which given that one of the biggest challenges of the captain is to get Joe Root to knuckle down and concentrate is not helpful.

There are not many obvious other candidates though. Stokes already has too much on his shoulders and nobody else is a secure and regular enough pick. Sibley and Burns don’t strike me as leaders.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 11:09 - Aug 8 with 5894 viewsgainsboroughblue

We've got to address this habit of starting a session so poorly. We've done it again this morning. Almost 10 minutes in and we look like we are undoing a lot of good work.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 11:28 - Aug 8 with 5873 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 11:09 - Aug 8 by gainsboroughblue

We've got to address this habit of starting a session so poorly. We've done it again this morning. Almost 10 minutes in and we look like we are undoing a lot of good work.

Those extra 30 odd runs have put this well beyond us I think. Can't see how we chase 277 on this wicket against this attack.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:17 - Aug 8 with 5832 viewsBlueForYou

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 11:28 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Those extra 30 odd runs have put this well beyond us I think. Can't see how we chase 277 on this wicket against this attack.

Sibley tends to, & is not frightened to bat for long periods, despite technical deficiencies. Both Root & Pope are excellent players of spin & both are class batsmen. Stokes cant be kept quiet for long. A couple of long partnerships & we'll be close.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:31 - Aug 8 with 5822 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:17 - Aug 8 by BlueForYou

Sibley tends to, & is not frightened to bat for long periods, despite technical deficiencies. Both Root & Pope are excellent players of spin & both are class batsmen. Stokes cant be kept quiet for long. A couple of long partnerships & we'll be close.

I hope you're right. We've started reasonably but I still think the chase looks too much of a stretch for us.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:42 - Aug 8 with 5811 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:31 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

I hope you're right. We've started reasonably but I still think the chase looks too much of a stretch for us.

This is the danger area. The beginning of a new session which has proved woeful in this test so far. If these two can get through the next hour, while losing one or maybe two wickets in the session will possibly see Pakistan get edgy.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:51 - Aug 8 with 5798 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:42 - Aug 8 by gainsboroughblue

This is the danger area. The beginning of a new session which has proved woeful in this test so far. If these two can get through the next hour, while losing one or maybe two wickets in the session will possibly see Pakistan get edgy.

A partnership for us makes life hard for them. As they run out of runs to play with it becomes harder to set a field, especially if we have a few wickets in hand. It's in the balance but I'd still rather be in Pakistan's shoes I think.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:58 - Aug 8 with 5791 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 13:31 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

There are (rare) occasions when I wish we could have Boycott back in the crease!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:08 - Aug 8 with 5778 viewsHerbivore

We're getting a bit bogged down at the minute. Can feel a wicket coming.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:11 - Aug 8 with 5770 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:08 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

We're getting a bit bogged down at the minute. Can feel a wicket coming.

I'm going out. Radio off. Any wicket that falls is not down to me.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:20 - Aug 8 with 5752 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:11 - Aug 8 by gainsboroughblue

I'm going out. Radio off. Any wicket that falls is not down to me.

Fair doos!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024