Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We knew it would be Ward 13:32 - Aug 13 with 5714 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Garbutt deal to expensive? Or looking to sign him and LM.

Looks as though Garbutts demands will have to drop, as seen reports his current demands are quite expensive.

Anyone else we’ll sign you think bar new GK.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

We knew it would be Ward on 13:36 - Aug 13 with 4695 viewsthatdamgood89

underwhelming

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

We knew it would be Ward on 13:42 - Aug 13 with 4654 viewsle2blue

great signing. brings experience to the defence and doesn't long term block some of the players with potential that we have coming through. he will also be a good mentor to them as well. We need a striker more than anything, so if we can invest there, then i think the rest of the very large squad will suffice.

Ultimately our success next year is more dependent on our manager developing a system that he will stick with and some luck with injuries.
We knew it would be Ward on 13:46 - Aug 13 with 4618 viewsParky

6 Months without football to concentrate on transfer targets and we end up with soon-to-be 35 year old Stephen Ward. I just don’t understand it, surely in the current climate you go down the route of signing someone in the mould of KVY who can progress here and be here for years to come, not an injury prone 35 year old at the end of his career.

Apart from Murphy, who was the last player we signed over the age of say 32 that actually done anything?

What an absolute waste of what little we have left in our budget considering the salary cap.
We knew it would be Ward on 13:48 - Aug 13 with 4602 viewsMattinLondon

Off-topic somewhat but players like Garbutt - who lets face it have been on a PL wage for four years despite being not good enough for that level - are probably realising that L1 clubs are all tightening their belts.

Probably quite telling that championship clubs are lining up with good deals for him.

It’ll never happen but if the championship were to bring in a salary cup as well maybe we’ll see players earnings dropping somewhat significantly.
We knew it would be Ward on 13:48 - Aug 13 with 4596 viewsthatdamgood89

We knew it would be Ward on 13:42 - Aug 13 by le2blue

great signing. brings experience to the defence and doesn't long term block some of the players with potential that we have coming through. he will also be a good mentor to them as well. We need a striker more than anything, so if we can invest there, then i think the rest of the very large squad will suffice.

Ultimately our success next year is more dependent on our manager developing a system that he will stick with and some luck with injuries.

How much experience do you want in your backline?
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 13:49]

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

We knew it would be Ward on 14:17 - Aug 13 with 4419 viewshadleighboyblue

We knew it would be Ward on 13:48 - Aug 13 by thatdamgood89

How much experience do you want in your backline?
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 13:49]

Our backline already has Chambers who is vulnerable against pace , Ward is a short term fix only . Even assuming he escapes injury , he is not likely to be bombing up and down the pitch and would be stretched by a speedy winger .

Can only assume he is not on a massive salary , but it's a shortsighted plan .

Garbutt was never going to come back here , his wage demands would be more Championship level .
We knew it would be Ward on 14:18 - Aug 13 with 4413 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Said previously wouldn't be adverse to this on a 1 year deal.

Hasn't played much football, about to turn 35. My family member ST holder there said he didn't really get sniff there but would do ok at this level.

By other reports people seem think he is incredibly slow and unfit these days, and has barely featured in any football in 6 months.

I think a with an intense pre season, you could get a tune out of him. Obviously has been a good player, has a lot of experience.

Time will tell on this one I think.

We knew it would be Ward on 14:19 - Aug 13 with 4406 viewshype313

Garbutt deal too expensive, and he probably has Championship offers, so it's a complete non starter.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

We knew it would be Ward on 14:21 - Aug 13 with 4384 viewsParky

We knew it would be Ward on 14:17 - Aug 13 by hadleighboyblue

Our backline already has Chambers who is vulnerable against pace , Ward is a short term fix only . Even assuming he escapes injury , he is not likely to be bombing up and down the pitch and would be stretched by a speedy winger .

Can only assume he is not on a massive salary , but it's a shortsighted plan .

Garbutt was never going to come back here , his wage demands would be more Championship level .

He was on a reported £17,500 p/w at Stoke according to the below. I know we won’t be offering anywhere near that, but seriously; what a waste of whatever small budget we do have.

https://t.co/z8yynii9NZ
We knew it would be Ward on 14:22 - Aug 13 with 4383 viewsclive_baker

Couldn't agree more. Age is but a number, some players at 34 are fitter than those 10 years younger. We lack characters and a bit of leadership which is exactly what he'll bring, in an area of the pitch where we're under served. Feels like a Mark Kennedy or Kevin Foley type signing but at this level, if we get 30 games out of him, as a reliable left back who's comfortable on the ball then it's worthwhile. Exactly the sort of signing I've been wanting us to make. Really happy with this if it comes off.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We knew it would be Ward on 14:25 - Aug 13 with 4357 viewsWD19

We knew it would be Ward on 13:46 - Aug 13 by Parky

6 Months without football to concentrate on transfer targets and we end up with soon-to-be 35 year old Stephen Ward. I just don’t understand it, surely in the current climate you go down the route of signing someone in the mould of KVY who can progress here and be here for years to come, not an injury prone 35 year old at the end of his career.

Apart from Murphy, who was the last player we signed over the age of say 32 that actually done anything?

What an absolute waste of what little we have left in our budget considering the salary cap.

How about we judge him on his merits? We dont yet know if he is more Sonko than he is Mowbray.
We knew it would be Ward on 14:30 - Aug 13 with 4333 viewsParky

We knew it would be Ward on 14:25 - Aug 13 by WD19

How about we judge him on his merits? We dont yet know if he is more Sonko than he is Mowbray.

Regardless of his merits, my opinion stands that it’s a pointless risk and approach to take. Whatever happens we’re going to be in the exact same scenario next season looking for a left back.

He’s going to take a significant chunk of whatever small budget we have. - It’s not a route I’d be going down, hence voicing my opinion on a forum board.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 14:31]
We knew it would be Ward on 15:06 - Aug 13 with 4258 viewsBlueBadger

We knew it would be Ward on 14:30 - Aug 13 by Parky

Regardless of his merits, my opinion stands that it’s a pointless risk and approach to take. Whatever happens we’re going to be in the exact same scenario next season looking for a left back.

He’s going to take a significant chunk of whatever small budget we have. - It’s not a route I’d be going down, hence voicing my opinion on a forum board.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 14:31]

All signings are ultimately a risk, but a player in the twilight of his career coming off an injury-riddled season seems more of one than a younger one. Particularly given that he'll occupy a large chunk of the reduced wage budget.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 15:24]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We knew it would be Ward on 15:11 - Aug 13 with 4231 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

We knew it would be Ward on 15:06 - Aug 13 by BlueBadger

All signings are ultimately a risk, but a player in the twilight of his career coming off an injury-riddled season seems more of one than a younger one. Particularly given that he'll occupy a large chunk of the reduced wage budget.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 15:24]

I don't think he'll eat as much money as people may think. Didn't play in a terrible Stoke side, out of contract at 35 having not played in a Championship relegation scrap doesn't leave you with much room for demands.

I think he was always going to end up in L1, would expect him to be on around the £2,000 p/w mark.

We knew it would be Ward on 15:12 - Aug 13 with 4225 viewsBlueBadger

We knew it would be Ward on 15:11 - Aug 13 by TheTrueBlue1878

I don't think he'll eat as much money as people may think. Didn't play in a terrible Stoke side, out of contract at 35 having not played in a Championship relegation scrap doesn't leave you with much room for demands.

I think he was always going to end up in L1, would expect him to be on around the £2,000 p/w mark.

He played in a Lambert side that wasn't Norwich a decade ago.. That, by definition, was a terrible team.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 15:16]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We knew it would be Ward on 15:13 - Aug 13 with 4223 viewshaynes_toe1

Awful siging, really disappointing.

Stoke fans thought he was absolutely dreadful and his legs had completely gone. I know it's the Championship but this doesn't really inspire much.
Why is it disappointing you? (n/t) on 15:18 - Aug 13 with 4200 viewsBloots

We knew it would be Ward on 15:13 - Aug 13 by haynes_toe1

Awful siging, really disappointing.

Stoke fans thought he was absolutely dreadful and his legs had completely gone. I know it's the Championship but this doesn't really inspire much.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

We knew it would be Ward on 15:18 - Aug 13 with 4204 viewsitfcjoe

I just don't think garbutt is worth what will be a higher wage in the squad - set pieces are excellent, good technically but pretty poor defensively. I'd take him but wouldn't be going all out for him.

Ward is a good signing for me, a bit more experience in there, proper quality in his day - think he should be able to walk this league and just what we need

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We knew it would be Ward on 15:25 - Aug 13 with 4161 viewsParky

We knew it would be Ward on 15:18 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

I just don't think garbutt is worth what will be a higher wage in the squad - set pieces are excellent, good technically but pretty poor defensively. I'd take him but wouldn't be going all out for him.

Ward is a good signing for me, a bit more experience in there, proper quality in his day - think he should be able to walk this league and just what we need

Any more info on the keeper that’s expected to join before the weekend Joe?
We knew it would be Ward on 15:52 - Aug 13 with 4067 viewsitfcjoe

We knew it would be Ward on 15:25 - Aug 13 by Parky

Any more info on the keeper that’s expected to join before the weekend Joe?

Hopefully will happen, just what I've put together from a couple of bits I've heard. Someone to compete with Holy - not just a back up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We knew it would be Ward on 16:15 - Aug 13 with 3997 viewsthatdamgood89

We knew it would be Ward on 13:36 - Aug 13 by thatdamgood89

underwhelming

I'll just add this further

Garbutt is not the only left-back out there. If the Garbutt deal is a non-starter there should be other targets

We knew it would be Ward on 16:23 - Aug 13 with 3959 viewsclive_baker

Agree and agree.

Really don't get the hysteria surrounding Garbutt. He's looked suspect defensively, and if the numbers being suggested are true than he doesn't represent value for money at all. He struggled at LB at Oxford and he did so here. We need an experienced, out and out left back. Garbutt was dangerous going forward but first and foremost we need to be solid defensively. Ward is an experienced pro, good pedigree and a really good footballer. We also really lacked some leadership and character last season, so hopefully he adds a bit of that too.

We've got a really nice squad now IMO, if we can get Ward. Could even afford to lose a fringe player or 2 if it meant keeping hold of Woolf, Downes et al. If we got offers for Nsiala / Donacien / Nolan etc I would think they might be allowed to go.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We knew it would be Ward on 16:24 - Aug 13 with 3955 viewsDyland

Would also be good for the kids.

All things considered I'd also root for Ward over Garbutt.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We knew it would be Ward on 16:27 - Aug 13 with 3934 viewsPhilTWTD

We knew it would be Ward on 15:12 - Aug 13 by BlueBadger

He played in a Lambert side that wasn't Norwich a decade ago.. That, by definition, was a terrible team.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 15:16]

Did he? Don't think their spells at Wolves coincided. At 34 he'll not be on huge money, certainly not what Garbutt would have been. As I've said, our wriggle room is limited by the salary cap so cheaper older players like Ward are very much our market. Lambert also wants leaders and experience, hence interest in Keogh too.
We knew it would be Ward on 16:30 - Aug 13 with 3911 viewsKieran_Knows

We knew it would be Ward on 15:52 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

Hopefully will happen, just what I've put together from a couple of bits I've heard. Someone to compete with Holy - not just a back up

Wonder if it's Cornell?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024