Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second CV wave? 09:56 - Aug 17 with 3070 viewsbluelagos

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/15/coronavirus-uk-map-latest-deaths-c

When you look at the 1st graph of number of new cases per day, it's hard not to conclude a second wave is on not it's way.

Depressing...
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 10:02]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Second CV wave? on 10:05 - Aug 17 with 2511 viewsclive_baker

Isn't testing significantly up though? 130k tests per day or something now isn't it?

It's encouraging, also, to see the deaths going down. I appreciate there's a delay between infection and those figures of typically 2 weeks, but I think it perhaps indicates this is beginning to spread among more people who can fight it off. Rather than the elderly population it got around at the start such as in care homes, where it really was like letting a fox loose in a chicken hutch.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Second CV wave? on 10:07 - Aug 17 with 2493 viewshype313

Second CV wave? on 10:05 - Aug 17 by clive_baker

Isn't testing significantly up though? 130k tests per day or something now isn't it?

It's encouraging, also, to see the deaths going down. I appreciate there's a delay between infection and those figures of typically 2 weeks, but I think it perhaps indicates this is beginning to spread among more people who can fight it off. Rather than the elderly population it got around at the start such as in care homes, where it really was like letting a fox loose in a chicken hutch.

Indeed, as you say 130k Pillar 2 tests yesterday, so obviously the more testing we do, the more cases we see.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Second CV wave? on 10:12 - Aug 17 with 2463 viewsbluelagos

The bit that indicates the second wave is coming, is the last 6 week trend of the new cases (clearly upward)

If over the past 6 weeks testing had significantly increased then that would indeed explain part of it. But the big increase in testing was prior to that I think.

You are spot on in that the impact (assuming it comes) will be far less deadly as we have sadly already lost many vulnerable people and we will hopefully be better as protecting those most vulnerable.

But once the schools reopen - am struggling to see how the spread won't increase further. I know youngsters are less likely to die, but are they less likely to catch / spread it?

Second CV wave? on 10:13 - Aug 17 with 2455 viewsWallingford_Boy

Hardly suprising, social distancing has gone out of the window.

RIP Sir Bobby

Second CV wave? on 10:13 - Aug 17 with 2458 viewsLibero

Yup, that's pretty much what was said in a brief I got in last week when discussing potential risk to customers here.

Precautions in professional environments are now being taken, granted some of that practice isn't particularly built with longevity in mind, but it's a significant step up from the absolute sh1t show that was the UK government's response.
Second CV wave? on 10:16 - Aug 17 with 2444 viewsbluelagos

Second CV wave? on 10:13 - Aug 17 by Libero

Yup, that's pretty much what was said in a brief I got in last week when discussing potential risk to customers here.

Precautions in professional environments are now being taken, granted some of that practice isn't particularly built with longevity in mind, but it's a significant step up from the absolute sh1t show that was the UK government's response.

One positive is that the reported Suffolk rate is very low (1.4 per 100,000) which means we should be less impacted than many areas.

Anyhow, too depressing for me.

Second CV wave? on 10:20 - Aug 17 with 2429 viewsclive_baker

Second CV wave? on 10:13 - Aug 17 by Libero

I'm still livid at the initial response. Admittedly I don't know the ins and outs, but it felt to me like we didn't know an awful lot about this disease, but what we did know was that the elderly and those with pre existing health conditions were most vulnerable and susceptible, and the extent to which it got into care homes feels unforgivable. There were 30,000 excess care home deaths in Q2 this year vs last. That's a large chunk of all deaths from Covid and it really is mind boggling that residents were allowed to leave hospitals and go back into their homes without being tested for it.

Second CV wave? on 10:22 - Aug 17 with 2417 viewsclive_baker

Second CV wave? on 10:12 - Aug 17 by bluelagos

The bit that indicates the second wave is coming, is the last 6 week trend of the new cases (clearly upward)

If over the past 6 weeks testing had significantly increased then that would indeed explain part of it. But the big increase in testing was prior to that I think.

You are spot on in that the impact (assuming it comes) will be far less deadly as we have sadly already lost many vulnerable people and we will hopefully be better as protecting those most vulnerable.

But once the schools reopen - am struggling to see how the spread won't increase further. I know youngsters are less likely to die, but are they less likely to catch / spread it?

There's definitely a risk with schools reopening, not just among kids but teachers and support staff, who subsequently can pass it on, and parents milling at the gates, and the fact it'll mean many home working parents will now go back to an office environment etc. It's potentially going to pave the way for more infection but I also think what's the alternative right now? We have to get children back at school.

Login to get fewer ads

Second CV wave? on 10:22 - Aug 17 with 2413 viewsPinewoodblue

Second CV wave? on 10:12 - Aug 17 by bluelagos

While the number of new cases is creeping up in UK it is rising significantly faster in many European countries, even Germany.

Guess they are doing something right.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Second CV wave? on 10:30 - Aug 17 with 2379 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't think it says any such thing. We're talking a difference of a couple of hundred cases when testing has been significantly ramped up. If you look at all the stats the deaths are down, people in hospital with the virus is going down weekly etc.

We all need to calm down a bit. The situation is far from over but getting second wave from that chart is ridiculous.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Second CV wave? on 10:33 - Aug 17 with 2362 viewsPJH

Second CV wave? on 10:13 - Aug 17 by Wallingford_Boy

Hardly suprising, social distancing has gone out of the window.

I didn't know that, thought you could still be in the same room.
Second CV wave? on 10:39 - Aug 17 with 2323 viewsLibero

Second CV wave? on 10:20 - Aug 17 by clive_baker

I'm still livid at the initial response. Admittedly I don't know the ins and outs, but it felt to me like we didn't know an awful lot about this disease, but what we did know was that the elderly and those with pre existing health conditions were most vulnerable and susceptible, and the extent to which it got into care homes feels unforgivable. There were 30,000 excess care home deaths in Q2 this year vs last. That's a large chunk of all deaths from Covid and it really is mind boggling that residents were allowed to leave hospitals and go back into their homes without being tested for it.

If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend this Panorama programmed, really illustrates what happened perfectly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lbq0/panorama-the-forgotten-frontline
Second CV wave? on 10:45 - Aug 17 with 2296 viewssolomon

Second CV wave? on 10:22 - Aug 17 by clive_baker

There's definitely a risk with schools reopening, not just among kids but teachers and support staff, who subsequently can pass it on, and parents milling at the gates, and the fact it'll mean many home working parents will now go back to an office environment etc. It's potentially going to pave the way for more infection but I also think what's the alternative right now? We have to get children back at school.

Working from home where possible is the key, I don’t know about anyone else but my organisation is becoming a nightmare about it, wants us all back in and now has started making thinly veiled threats to those who want to continue working from home as our office can’t provide social distancing for all of us 5 days a week. Crazy as we are functioning well with remote working.
Second CV wave? on 10:50 - Aug 17 with 2274 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/16/fears-overcrowding-in-wetherspo

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Second CV wave? on 10:51 - Aug 17 with 2273 viewsElderGrizzly

There are certainly local 2nd waves occurring, But I can’t see a need anytime soon for a national style lockdown again.

Looks like Oldham is about to be added to the list
Second CV wave? on 10:58 - Aug 17 with 2239 viewsLibero

Second CV wave? on 10:51 - Aug 17 by ElderGrizzly

There are certainly local 2nd waves occurring, But I can’t see a need anytime soon for a national style lockdown again.

Looks like Oldham is about to be added to the list

It's highly unlikely that will ever be required again due to how it is now being handled. It'd take a lot of people ignoring basic control measures to get us to that kind of point again.

Localised lock-downs with powers handed to local authorities is most certainly the model the UK are going with, it makes me incredibly grateful to be in the relative safe embrace of mid-suffolk.
Second CV wave? on 11:00 - Aug 17 with 2216 viewsElderGrizzly

Second CV wave? on 10:58 - Aug 17 by Libero

It's highly unlikely that will ever be required again due to how it is now being handled. It'd take a lot of people ignoring basic control measures to get us to that kind of point again.

Localised lock-downs with powers handed to local authorities is most certainly the model the UK are going with, it makes me incredibly grateful to be in the relative safe embrace of mid-suffolk.

Agree, the fenlands is rather untouched thankfully.

I’m sure there is some analysis between population density, multi-family houses and those in certain work sectors which will correlate with the higher numbers we see
Second CV wave? on 11:09 - Aug 17 with 2173 viewsPinewoodblue

Second CV wave? on 11:00 - Aug 17 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, the fenlands is rather untouched thankfully.

I’m sure there is some analysis between population density, multi-family houses and those in certain work sectors which will correlate with the higher numbers we see

This seems to suggest Mid Suffolk is currently the least safe part of Suffolk, last updated yesterday so may no longer be the case.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data#daily-new-cases?utm_source=App

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Second CV wave? on 11:13 - Aug 17 with 2155 viewsLibero

Second CV wave? on 11:09 - Aug 17 by Pinewoodblue

This seems to suggest Mid Suffolk is currently the least safe part of Suffolk, last updated yesterday so may no longer be the case.

I can assure you that using the data that the care profession and social services are working with that all those that fall under mid-suffolk are in a relatively safe part of the country.
Second CV wave? on 12:46 - Aug 17 with 1915 viewsuefacup81

Second CV wave? on 10:45 - Aug 17 by solomon

Working from home where possible is the key, I don’t know about anyone else but my organisation is becoming a nightmare about it, wants us all back in and now has started making thinly veiled threats to those who want to continue working from home as our office can’t provide social distancing for all of us 5 days a week. Crazy as we are functioning well with remote working.

Worth a call to the HSE?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Second CV wave? on 13:32 - Aug 17 with 1785 viewsGuthrum

Technically not a second wave (that, if it happens, is more likely around November), but a resurgence of the first one.

Probably partially down to the lifting of lockdown restrictions. But, more alarming, if immunity lasts (as is thought) 3 to 6 months, then those who caught it in March and early April are about eligible for a second dose.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Second CV wave? on 13:34 - Aug 17 with 1777 viewsLibero

Second CV wave? on 13:32 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

Technically not a second wave (that, if it happens, is more likely around November), but a resurgence of the first one.

Probably partially down to the lifting of lockdown restrictions. But, more alarming, if immunity lasts (as is thought) 3 to 6 months, then those who caught it in March and early April are about eligible for a second dose.

No evidence as of yet, in regards to anything about immunity.

I can't handle the idea of getting this again, it's been months and I'm still living with after effects!
Second CV wave? on 13:34 - Aug 17 with 1775 viewshype313

Second CV wave? on 13:32 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

Which would be a major concern, given that lots of people are still suffering the after effects of the 1st wave, Libbers included.

Lets have fingers crossed that in the event that people can catch it twice, the second time would be far milder.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Second CV wave? on 13:58 - Aug 17 with 1693 viewslongtimefan

Second CV wave? on 11:09 - Aug 17 by Pinewoodblue

Think I'd place more confidence in this site with real test results down to a pretty localised level than an app where people think they have it, but haven't bothered to get tested:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c5f691
Second CV wave? on 15:05 - Aug 17 with 1569 viewsGaryCooper

Second CV wave? on 10:20 - Aug 17 by clive_baker

'There were 30,000 excess care home deaths in Q2 this year vs last.'

NHS Management and government manslaughter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024