Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
#LetFansIn 10:50 - Oct 6 with 6157 viewsLanky

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

This petition set up by Dorking Wanderers last night seems to have got a bit of attention on Twitter. I think that football games are to be shown in Vue cinemas yet (very reduced capacity etc.) pilots have not restarted at outdoor stadiums says it all, really.

May be of interest to some!
#LetFansIn on 10:53 - Oct 6 with 2543 viewsStokieBlue

They cite France which has even more cases than us and Germany which actually has a track and trace system that works.

Not sure either are great for supporting their arguments.

I think a lot of fans that want to go back don't appreciate the difference between getting 5000 to a stadium where people can drive and one where people have to take public transport.

SB
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 10:54]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

#LetFansIn on 11:15 - Oct 6 with 2501 viewsBlueBadger

#LetFansIn on 10:53 - Oct 6 by StokieBlue

They cite France which has even more cases than us and Germany which actually has a track and trace system that works.

Not sure either are great for supporting their arguments.

I think a lot of fans that want to go back don't appreciate the difference between getting 5000 to a stadium where people can drive and one where people have to take public transport.

SB
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 10:54]

Or the effects on viral load and exposure in enclosed spaces like concourses, tunnels, turnstiles...
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 11:15]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

#LetFansIn on 11:16 - Oct 6 with 2490 viewsPhilTWTD

#LetFansIn on 11:15 - Oct 6 by BlueBadger

Or the effects on viral load and exposure in enclosed spaces like concourses, tunnels, turnstiles...

Indeed, it's that they're most worried about, and the use of public transport to get to games, not the sitting on the terraces itself.
#LetFansIn on 11:18 - Oct 6 with 2478 viewsBasuco

The problem is that most grounds are very different with different pinch points where fans will be in close contact, concourses and toilets are two places that could well act as covid super spreader area's. A similar argument could be applied to motorsport, BTCC has been declared a major sporting event, but limited spectators on a wide open race circuit has been deemed unsafe. While some venues may well be OK to admit spectators others will not and the government is sticking to one rule for all in football.
#LetFansIn on 11:22 - Oct 6 with 2471 viewsgiant_stow

#LetFansIn on 11:15 - Oct 6 by BlueBadger

I don't understand this viral loads thing - any chance of an explanation for simpletons? I thought you'd either get the virus or not - how can you get it worse?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

#LetFansIn on 11:25 - Oct 6 with 2462 viewsSwailsey

No thanks, I'd rather my 75 year old dad doesn't get COVID and die.

As others have mentioned, why do people fail to grasp that standing in an open field watching Felixstowe is very different to cramming through the tiny tunnels and archaic infrastructure that Portman Road has?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

#LetFansIn on 11:27 - Oct 6 with 2451 viewsStokieBlue

#LetFansIn on 11:22 - Oct 6 by giant_stow

I don't understand this viral loads thing - any chance of an explanation for simpletons? I thought you'd either get the virus or not - how can you get it worse?

Viruses are self-replicating so you can have more or less of the virus present in your system.

It's why a relatively high number of young medical professionals (such as the doctor who blew the whistle in China) have died - increased exposure can mean more of the virus which is obviously bad.

They might also mean it in a less precise way in that the atmosphere in an enclosed space like a concourse can have a higher load of the virus as there is nowhere for it to escape to and a lot of people there.

Badger will get you a better and more precise answer if he has time I am sure.

SB

#LetFansIn on 11:28 - Oct 6 with 2445 viewsStokieBlue

#LetFansIn on 11:25 - Oct 6 by Swailsey

As others have mentioned, why do people fail to grasp that standing in an open field watching Felixstowe is very different to cramming through the tiny tunnels and archaic infrastructure that Portman Road has?

Because people want to watch football and thus they are able to internally reconcile any position to make it seem acceptable.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

#LetFansIn on 11:28 - Oct 6 with 2441 viewsgiant_stow

#LetFansIn on 11:27 - Oct 6 by StokieBlue

Viruses are self-replicating so you can have more or less of the virus present in your system.

It's why a relatively high number of young medical professionals (such as the doctor who blew the whistle in China) have died - increased exposure can mean more of the virus which is obviously bad.

They might also mean it in a less precise way in that the atmosphere in an enclosed space like a concourse can have a higher load of the virus as there is nowhere for it to escape to and a lot of people there.

Badger will get you a better and more precise answer if he has time I am sure.

SB

Its the replicating thing yes, but that does make sense - replicating from a higher base gives the body less time to fight back i spose.

Cheers

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

#LetFansIn on 11:30 - Oct 6 with 2435 viewsBlueBadger

#LetFansIn on 11:28 - Oct 6 by giant_stow

Its the replicating thing yes, but that does make sense - replicating from a higher base gives the body less time to fight back i spose.

Cheers

https://www.today.com/health/coronavirus-what-does-viral-load-mean-when-it-comes

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

#LetFansIn on 11:30 - Oct 6 with 2436 viewsSouperJim

I think it's the 1-rule-fits-all bit that people have a problem with. Why not let clubs at least propose their own solutions, given that their livelihoods depend on it? Surely there are plenty of grounds where alternatives to cramming through tiny tunnels could be found?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

#LetFansIn on 11:31 - Oct 6 with 2429 viewsgiant_stow

#LetFansIn on 11:30 - Oct 6 by BlueBadger

https://www.today.com/health/coronavirus-what-does-viral-load-mean-when-it-comes

Thanks loads.

#LetFansIn on 11:31 - Oct 6 with 2429 viewsSwailsey

#LetFansIn on 11:30 - Oct 6 by SouperJim

I think it's the 1-rule-fits-all bit that people have a problem with. Why not let clubs at least propose their own solutions, given that their livelihoods depend on it? Surely there are plenty of grounds where alternatives to cramming through tiny tunnels could be found?

But doesn't that set an uneven level for clubs? Some clubs benefitting from income when other's don't, some getting to have fans when some don't etc?

I get what you're saying, but they can't start doing that surely, otherwise you could argue they should do the same with the rule of 6 being directly applicable to your house/pub size?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

#LetFansIn on 11:34 - Oct 6 with 2415 viewsSouperJim

#LetFansIn on 11:31 - Oct 6 by Swailsey

But doesn't that set an uneven level for clubs? Some clubs benefitting from income when other's don't, some getting to have fans when some don't etc?

I get what you're saying, but they can't start doing that surely, otherwise you could argue they should do the same with the rule of 6 being directly applicable to your house/pub size?

So because some can't accommodate fans, all should suffer? Besides, we already have that inequality now with non-league.

There's a big difference between managing the control measures for 92 football league clubs and managing the control measures for 29 million homes.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 11:35]

#LetFansIn on 11:35 - Oct 6 with 2411 viewsbrazil1982

#LetFansIn on 11:30 - Oct 6 by SouperJim

As said earlier, it's more to do with concerns over travelling as we don't all live in Ipswich for example! I do think clubs should be allowed to submit their own risk assessment.
#LetFansIn on 11:36 - Oct 6 with 2404 viewsSwailsey

#LetFansIn on 11:34 - Oct 6 by SouperJim

So because some can't accommodate fans, all should suffer? Besides, we already have that inequality now with non-league.

There's a big difference between managing the control measures for 92 football league clubs and managing the control measures for 29 million homes.

No, I get that there isn't an even keel.

But it's not just those clubs is it? Who's going to pay for the tests to check if a club is suitable? Who's going to pay for policing, health and safety officials? Staff?

#LetFansIn on 11:39 - Oct 6 with 2394 viewsSitfcB

It’s a choice to attend.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

#LetFansIn on 11:40 - Oct 6 with 2386 viewsStokieBlue

#LetFansIn on 11:34 - Oct 6 by SouperJim

Not sure how you reconcile this position

Plenty of time is spent by people on here (rightly) moaning about the different resources at clubs disposal but in this case some of the clubs should suffer because Ipswich will be fine?

Your non-league example doesn't work as there will be clubs within the same division that can't have the same rules.

For instance it's much easier to have somewhere like Reading allow matches than QPR.

Once again it seems to boil down to "but I want to watch football".

SB

#LetFansIn on 11:40 - Oct 6 with 2387 viewsSwailsey

#LetFansIn on 11:39 - Oct 6 by SitfcB

It’s a choice to attend.

I was being flippant. But what about the people who attend thinking it's safe, but then may catch it?

I assumed you would be one of the people to want this blindly.

#LetFansIn on 11:42 - Oct 6 with 2378 viewsSouperJim

#LetFansIn on 11:36 - Oct 6 by Swailsey

No, I get that there isn't an even keel.

But it's not just those clubs is it? Who's going to pay for the tests to check if a club is suitable? Who's going to pay for policing, health and safety officials? Staff?

The simple answer seems to be let clubs develop their own plans and manage the associated costs. At least then they have the choice and are not solely dependent on whatever crumbs the premier league decide to toss them.

#LetFansIn on 11:42 - Oct 6 with 2379 viewsStokieBlue

It’s a choice to attend.

You can't see the future consequences of attending.

Perhaps you catch it in the concourse or the toilets and then you nip somewhere and pass it on to someone else going about their business who stayed well away from a football stadium.

SB

#LetFansIn on 11:42 - Oct 6 with 2375 viewsBlueBadger

It’s a choice to attend.

...and then go visit your nan, vulnerable relatives, friends who are carers for vulnerable people, go back to your job as an essential worker....

#LetFansIn on 11:43 - Oct 6 with 2378 viewsSwailsey

#LetFansIn on 11:42 - Oct 6 by StokieBlue

You can't see the future consequences of attending.

Perhaps you catch it in the concourse or the toilets and then you nip somewhere and pass it on to someone else going about their business who stayed well away from a football stadium.

SB

Yes but people want to watch football because it's unfair there's a pandemic.

I'm sure those pushing for this are purely doing it for the integrity of keeping clubs afloat, which is why they are probably donating money to them all.

#LetFansIn on 11:43 - Oct 6 with 2378 viewsSouperJim

It’s a choice to attend.

We're all at risk if the infection rate goes through the roof, whether you set foot outside your door or not.

#LetFansIn on 11:45 - Oct 6 with 2365 viewsStokieBlue

#LetFansIn on 11:43 - Oct 6 by SouperJim

We're all at risk if the infection rate goes through the roof, whether you set foot outside your door or not.

You don't think holding large scale sporting events might be a driver for increased infections?

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024