Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kieron Dyer as future manager? 11:17 - Oct 26 with 4901 viewsBlueBlood90

Is it just me that can't see why Kieron Dyer seems to see himself as a club legend that should get the managers job one day?

In my opinion, he was just a good youngster that left the club at the first opportunity he got and returned when his legs had gone at the end of his career and nobody else wanted him.

Nothing wrong with that but he seems to talk about Ipswich as if he did far more for the club than he actually did.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:19 - Oct 26 with 3239 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If he gets the managers job one day, he'll get it on his coaching performance, nothing else.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:28 - Oct 26 with 3191 viewsStokieBlue

I think that's a rather harsh assessment.

He'd played 91 times for us and only put in a transfer request after we failed to gain promotion in the play-offs. He wanted a chance to get into the international setup and that was more likely playing in the PL.

We also got a record transfer fee at the time for him.

Not really sure what more you were expecting from him.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:32 - Oct 26 with 3175 viewstrncbluearmy

He gave ITFC two more seasons then he had to,Ipswich lad,bailed out the academy with Titus
He's a legend and would command respect

Hope he rejoins ITFC ASAP
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:36 - Oct 26 with 3152 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

As long as it is based on managerial credentials then I think it would work in due course.

He shouldn't get the managers job because he is 'Kieran Dyer'.

He's definitely following the right path, u18/u23 possibly move and get a lower leaue managerial position, and hoepfully successfully.

I can't understand the calls for Dyer right now though.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:38 - Oct 26 with 3148 viewsrickw

He was born in Ipswich, an Ipswich fan, played for Ipswich and still lives near Ipswich - there aren't many out there with more passion for the club than him.

Whether that makes him a good manager or not I don't know!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:39 - Oct 26 with 3139 viewsLankHenners

The alternative (and likely more truthful) reading is that he held on for as long as he felt he could without damaging his own personal ambitions, then eventually came back when he was struggling with injuries out of mutual love/respect (iirc we wanted him permanently but West Ham refused to pay off his contract or something similar?).

He's clearly very ambitious and whilst an inexperienced manger like himself would be a risk, it would breathe a bit of life into the club and he'd certainly talk it and the Town up, which would be a breath of fresh air.

Personally I can't see it happening too soon. If Evans decides to get rid of Lambert this season he'll try and go for someone like Paul Cook or Lee Johnson or someone else experienced who's out of work. The only way it will happen is if we keep Lambert all season, we fail to go up, Evans activates a clause to get rid of the fraud, we're stuck under the salary cap rules so have to reshape the whole team to focus around youth and Evans sees Dyer as a good opportunity to rebuild from there.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:39 - Oct 26 with 3134 viewsdavblue

When he left it was the right time to leave for him personally and for the club, he was ready for the step up at that point.

As for his return, why not, it didn't work out, i suspect he wasn't on massive wages.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:41 - Oct 26 with 3120 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:38 - Oct 26 by rickw

He was born in Ipswich, an Ipswich fan, played for Ipswich and still lives near Ipswich - there aren't many out there with more passion for the club than him.

Whether that makes him a good manager or not I don't know!

What you have listed unfortunately have absolutley no bearing on whether he is a good manager or not.

Only expirience with show that.

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans as future manager? on 11:41 - Oct 26 with 3118 viewsdavblue

Has got the team playing good football, and a set way of playing.

Knows the other side of the game with his business dealings and being involved with the club for 12 years, perhaps it's the time he stands up and takes us forward?
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:50 - Oct 26 with 3084 viewsitfcjoe

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:36 - Oct 26 by TheTrueBlue1878

As long as it is based on managerial credentials then I think it would work in due course.

He's definitely following the right path, u18/u23 possibly move and get a lower leaue managerial position, and hoepfully successfully.

A serious amount of top or English managers don't follow that path of dropping into lower league and working up from there

Especially when 'their' club is already in the 3rd tier, there isn't really anywhere lower for him to go to work back up from.

Lampard got the Derby job of the back of no coaching, Gerrard the Rangers one after a season with Liverpool U18s, Lee Bowyer at Charlton, Scott Parker at Fulham, and on and on

I think the only managers who were top PL players (which Dyer was) who have had to drop really low and slog it about are Harry Kewell, Sol Campbell and at a push Joey Barton and David Dunn.

That route doesn't do the managers any favours, even when Campbell did brilliantly to keep Macclesfield up he was rewarded with the Southend job

The best way for a formerly top player to get a decent job is to do it from the inside
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 11:50]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:02 - Oct 26 with 3038 viewsjaykay

saw him ,as a pundit the newcastle v wolves match. he said newcastle was boring to watch for the last 5 years. he said they were always known as a footballing side. that ring some bells

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:07 - Oct 26 with 3010 viewstractorboy1978

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:36 - Oct 26 by TheTrueBlue1878

I personally think in the position we are in, there is a lot to be said for understanding the fabric of the club. He knows it inside out, he's worked with most of the young players coming through and knows their game, what makes them tick etc - I know El Miz and Dobra really look up to him.

And name me an 'ITFC man' that is better connected in modern football circles than Dyer. I'm sure he's wouldn't struggle to get an experienced coach alongside him or for people who have been at the very top to ring up for guidance and support.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:10 - Oct 26 with 3001 viewsJ2BLUE

Would love to see him as manager but it would be bittersweet unless he did an amazing job and left on a high.

We know how quick some of our fans are to turn and I really don't like how Magilton left the club and how there's still some fans who really dislike. Tarnished a good legacy. I don't want to see that happen with Dyer.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:11 - Oct 26 with 2989 viewsKeno

I would appoint him this afternoon if it was my decision to make

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:25 - Oct 26 with 2954 viewsParisBlue

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:28 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

I think that's a rather harsh assessment.

He'd played 91 times for us and only put in a transfer request after we failed to gain promotion in the play-offs. He wanted a chance to get into the international setup and that was more likely playing in the PL.

We also got a record transfer fee at the time for him.

Not really sure what more you were expecting from him.

SB

Don't think he put in a transfer request but was told the day after the Bolton defeat that he needed to be sold. Think the lawyers decided in Kierons favour.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:27 - Oct 26 with 2939 viewsStokieBlue

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:25 - Oct 26 by ParisBlue

Don't think he put in a transfer request but was told the day after the Bolton defeat that he needed to be sold. Think the lawyers decided in Kierons favour.

I wasn't sure about that so checked Wiki and it says that there - it could easily be wrong.

Either way the opening posts assessment is incredibly harsh.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:00 - Oct 26 with 2737 viewsjeera

As someone else has pointed out, he and Titus put time and money into the academy and also bought season tickets regardless of whether that got used or not.

Although Kieron would also make a point of watching Town when he had the opportunity.

Just to support the club in any way they could.

That's not a bad effort for people who were playing the other end of the country at the time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:07 - Oct 26 with 2715 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:50 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

A serious amount of top or English managers don't follow that path of dropping into lower league and working up from there

Especially when 'their' club is already in the 3rd tier, there isn't really anywhere lower for him to go to work back up from.

Lampard got the Derby job of the back of no coaching, Gerrard the Rangers one after a season with Liverpool U18s, Lee Bowyer at Charlton, Scott Parker at Fulham, and on and on

I think the only managers who were top PL players (which Dyer was) who have had to drop really low and slog it about are Harry Kewell, Sol Campbell and at a push Joey Barton and David Dunn.

That route doesn't do the managers any favours, even when Campbell did brilliantly to keep Macclesfield up he was rewarded with the Southend job

The best way for a formerly top player to get a decent job is to do it from the inside

No they don't. Although they should.

I understand many ex players find a route in from reputation or name. For every Lampard there is a Neville. For every Gerrard there is Shearer.

I've never bought into the idea of good players being good managers, two completely different things. Thierry Henry, Roy Keane, Di Canio are all some examples.

I have no issue with Dyer being our manager, as long as there is evidence to suggest he would be a good manager, not based on the idea of local hero becomes saviour.

If he goes to the u23's and is very good, a good coach, a good character, improves his players, then ITFC will have front seat to see that, so this is a good chance for him.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 14:09]

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:11 - Oct 26 with 2701 viewshype313

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:50 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

The other thing to add, is that he's financially secure for the rest of his life, so Marcus could get him quite cheaply and he would probably accept a lower salaried role compared to Cook et al. It might work for all parties, Evans gets good PR promoting a club legend from within without costing too much and Keiron gets a plumb job in his home town.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:16 - Oct 26 with 2671 viewsrickw

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:07 - Oct 26 by TheTrueBlue1878

I understand many ex players find a route in from reputation or name. For every Lampard there is a Neville. For every Gerrard there is Shearer.

I've never bought into the idea of good players being good managers, two completely different things. Thierry Henry, Roy Keane, Di Canio are all some examples.

I have no issue with Dyer being our manager, as long as there is evidence to suggest he would be a good manager, not based on the idea of local hero becomes saviour.

If he goes to the u23's and is very good, a good coach, a good character, improves his players, then ITFC will have front seat to see that, so this is a good chance for him.

We've tried the big name manager, the experienced manager with promotions on his CV, the up and coming manager and none have especially worked - the one thing Marcus Evans hasn't tried is the manager with the Ipswich connection.

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:18 - Oct 26 with 2661 viewshype313

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:16 - Oct 26 by rickw

We've tried the big name manager, the experienced manager with promotions on his CV, the up and coming manager and none have especially worked - the one thing Marcus Evans hasn't tried is the manager with the Ipswich connection.

He had Magic for a while

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:20 - Oct 26 with 2652 viewsrickw

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:18 - Oct 26 by hype313

He had Magic for a while

He did, unfortunately Jim's days were numbered as soon as ME took over - every new owner always wants to appoint their own man, I'm sure in hindsight now ME knows now he should have given Jim a little longer

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:24 - Oct 26 with 2632 viewsjeera

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:20 - Oct 26 by rickw

He did, unfortunately Jim's days were numbered as soon as ME took over - every new owner always wants to appoint their own man, I'm sure in hindsight now ME knows now he should have given Jim a little longer

I liked Jim and agree he should have had longer.

But the one thing that never makes sense with Marcus is when he replaces a manager he doesn't seem to grasp you're supposed to replace them with someone better.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:45 - Oct 26 with 2528 viewsitfcjoe

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:07 - Oct 26 by TheTrueBlue1878

But all of those will have been appointed because of their potential impact in all facets, not just purely on their name. They all will have impressed and the owners will have had the necessary 'evidence' that they will hope to be good managers for them in their situations.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:54 - Oct 26 with 2500 viewsnodge_blue

Possibly our best player since the Robson team.

I don't know if he would make a good manager or not but one thing for sure is that he has the club in his heart which is a good start.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024