Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time 15:07 - Nov 10 with 9755 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I appreciate some don't like his stand up - I don't know why myself, but humour is subjective. But it's interesting some of those people still love other things like The Office, Extras, Derek, After Life...

I've loved them all, but in different ways. I didn't really enjoy The Office initially, but when you look back it's a brilliant bit of writing. It's subtle, a lot of it, which is why I don't think I initially got the humour. It's weird to say that because now I don't think it's that subtle.

Extras is funny because it's such big stars being self deprecating, which was refreshing at the time. The Les Dennis stuff is incredible. You don't know whether to laugh or cry because it's so near the bone.

I literally did laugh and cry at Derek. After Life I'm not so enamoured with, but I imagine I'll love it in time given what's happened before.

The Golden Globes stuff puncturing the egos of the rich and famous is brilliant too.

Just been watching this with Lawrence Krauss. I'm still agnostic but the logic of both is impeccable.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 11:27 - Nov 11 with 1198 viewsDecageBruce

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:09 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

Yes

and having spoken with him, I can assure you he was not playing some character, that is him as others who have worked with him will vouch for - hence the Enfield and Whitehouse parody

there is not some hidden depth that only the enlightened can see, but an obnoxious bigot who the faithful(gullible) delude themselves this being 'edgy' and can see that it is only a joke....... that just happens to always focus on those with mental and physical differences - as well as gay and trans folk

if it looks like a duck... etc

I will agree to disagree with you here
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:23 - Nov 11 with 1141 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:59 - Nov 11 by NewcyBlue

“ Quite. It's easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter. Gervais' characters all have a point to them. If you're only getting them superficially then you're not getting them”

That could be construed as you saying “he’s funny and if you don’t find him funny you’re not intelligent enough to”.

I would say that’s the post that annoyed most people.

Yeah, it's a fair cop, I didn't come across very well there. I meant that there's more to them than the obvious (i.e. mental issues). Whether you find him funny or not is something else, and nothing to do with intelligence.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:24 - Nov 11 with 1138 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 11:02 - Nov 11 by footers

His work's not exactly Ulysses, is it?

And the suggestion that only people who have first-hand experience with people with similar issues actually understand this complex humour with no basis was equally offensive.

I didn't say that or mean that, so if it's come across that way I apologise.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:27 - Nov 11 with 1126 viewsNewcyBlue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:23 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah, it's a fair cop, I didn't come across very well there. I meant that there's more to them than the obvious (i.e. mental issues). Whether you find him funny or not is something else, and nothing to do with intelligence.

Fair enough mate.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:28 - Nov 11 with 1123 viewsEnigma_Blue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:09 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

Yes

and having spoken with him, I can assure you he was not playing some character, that is him as others who have worked with him will vouch for - hence the Enfield and Whitehouse parody

there is not some hidden depth that only the enlightened can see, but an obnoxious bigot who the faithful(gullible) delude themselves this being 'edgy' and can see that it is only a joke....... that just happens to always focus on those with mental and physical differences - as well as gay and trans folk

if it looks like a duck... etc

"that just happens to always focus on those with mental and physical differences - as well as gay and trans folk"

Complete rubbish, Gervais doesn't discriminate. He makes jokes at the expense of everybody. Male, female, old, young, rich, poor, gay, straight, disabled as well as the able bodied. He even makes jokes at his own expense. He is the type of comedian the tries to find a joke in every situation. Sometimes he misses the mark and some of his material can be a bit close to the bone.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is a complete comedy genius but he has had moments of comedy genius.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:49 - Nov 11 with 1090 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:28 - Nov 11 by Enigma_Blue

"that just happens to always focus on those with mental and physical differences - as well as gay and trans folk"

Complete rubbish, Gervais doesn't discriminate. He makes jokes at the expense of everybody. Male, female, old, young, rich, poor, gay, straight, disabled as well as the able bodied. He even makes jokes at his own expense. He is the type of comedian the tries to find a joke in every situation. Sometimes he misses the mark and some of his material can be a bit close to the bone.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is a complete comedy genius but he has had moments of comedy genius.

And just by sheer coincidence his supposed 'jokes' happen to be nearly always aimed at 'spazzers' and 'mongs' - just as Jim Davudson's 'jokes' frequently talked of a blackman, Chalkie who spoke in an exaggerated West Indian voice.

We can now see the real meaning behind those 'jokes'.

Perhaps one day your sort will see the real Gervais.... something that is not funny at all.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:05 - Nov 11 with 1076 viewsEnigma_Blue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:49 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

And just by sheer coincidence his supposed 'jokes' happen to be nearly always aimed at 'spazzers' and 'mongs' - just as Jim Davudson's 'jokes' frequently talked of a blackman, Chalkie who spoke in an exaggerated West Indian voice.

Perhaps one day your sort will see the real Gervais.... something that is not funny at all.

So when he is roasting the Hollywood gliteratti at the golden globes, that's him taking aim at spazzers and mong's? Also when he is taking the piss out of Nazis & Hitler in his stand up? Or mocking stories in the Bible and kids fables like all the king's horses & Humpty Dumpty?

The list of people & things he pokes fun at is endless.

Just for the record I don't find all of his jokes funny but for me he is more hit than miss.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:17 - Nov 11 with 1054 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:05 - Nov 11 by Enigma_Blue

So when he is roasting the Hollywood gliteratti at the golden globes, that's him taking aim at spazzers and mong's? Also when he is taking the piss out of Nazis & Hitler in his stand up? Or mocking stories in the Bible and kids fables like all the king's horses & Humpty Dumpty?

The list of people & things he pokes fun at is endless.

Just for the record I don't find all of his jokes funny but for me he is more hit than miss.

The point being that he was supposedly playing a 'character'.

My evidence is he is not, as his attitude towards 'spazzers and mongs', likewise gay and trans folk is the same off stage, as on. That being from having met him a number of times.

Whether you find his 'jokes; funny or not is entirely up to you - just as the opinion I formed of him off stage is entirely up to me. As is the value I place on the opinion of others who worked with him

An odious little runt.
Login to get fewer ads

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:25 - Nov 11 with 1046 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 13:49 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

His jokes aren't nearly always aimed at 'spazzers' and 'mongs'. In fact NONE of them are aimed at those people. You've confused the subject and the target of the joke.

Gervais' sister works with kids with learning difficulties, and he talks reverently about it in the video in the OP.

I would encourage you to watch it, or at least watch for a couple of minutes from minute 38 where Gervais and Krauss explain about jokes and offence (better than I can.) Or perhaps from 42:20; Krauss: "One can use comedy to talk about things which would otherwise be of great concern. It gives you an in...' Gervais: That's what humour's for. It gets us over bad stuff. It sharpens our claws. It keeps us fighting fit for the real world."

I swear on my life, his humour is not akin to Jim Davidson. Give this a bit of a watch, it's a very interesting debate even if you don't agree.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:27 - Nov 11 with 1042 viewsJackPITFC

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:22 - Nov 10 by footers

This is why I only watched one episode of Derek. It was basically 25 minutesof him doing a playground impression of someone with learning difficulties.

Absoloutely fantastic series, highly reccomend watching it.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:28 - Nov 11 with 1041 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:17 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

The point being that he was supposedly playing a 'character'.

My evidence is he is not, as his attitude towards 'spazzers and mongs', likewise gay and trans folk is the same off stage, as on. That being from having met him a number of times.

Whether you find his 'jokes; funny or not is entirely up to you - just as the opinion I formed of him off stage is entirely up to me. As is the value I place on the opinion of others who worked with him

An odious little runt.

In what capacity have you "met him a number of times"? I find it very hard to believe he was saying nasty things about "spazzers, mongs, gays and trans folk."

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:33 - Nov 11 with 1027 viewsJackPITFC

Also if you wanted an easy watch, An Idiot abroad starring Karl Pilkington, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant is fantastic.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:50 - Nov 11 with 1002 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:28 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

In what capacity have you "met him a number of times"? I find it very hard to believe he was saying nasty things about "spazzers, mongs, gays and trans folk."

Abuse? Really? I'm quoting Harry!

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:05 - Nov 11 with 978 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:28 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

I used to frequent the Red Rise comedy club in Islington (mid nineties)as I knew one if the compères (an others). Gervais must have lived locally because he was sometimes at the bar with other comics .

i thought at first he was doing his 'act' as I had previously seen him on the 11 0'Clock show.

Two incidents stood out. One where he was sneering at some bloke in a wheelchair, and the other his comments towards at table of lesbians, or lezzers as he called them.

The gist being that as the room was packed the spaz should stay near the door in case there was a fire, and the other that there would not be much carpet left once the lezzers got munching.

He struck me as an oily little git, and he certainly didn't fit in with that environment. Years later when speaking with others I found a common consensus about his views being him, not an act.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:06 - Nov 11 with 975 viewsJ2BLUE

lol abuse.

FFS people.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:14 - Nov 11 with 954 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:05 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

I used to frequent the Red Rise comedy club in Islington (mid nineties)as I knew one if the compères (an others). Gervais must have lived locally because he was sometimes at the bar with other comics .

i thought at first he was doing his 'act' as I had previously seen him on the 11 0'Clock show.

Two incidents stood out. One where he was sneering at some bloke in a wheelchair, and the other his comments towards at table of lesbians, or lezzers as he called them.

The gist being that as the room was packed the spaz should stay near the door in case there was a fire, and the other that there would not be much carpet left once the lezzers got munching.

He struck me as an oily little git, and he certainly didn't fit in with that environment. Years later when speaking with others I found a common consensus about his views being him, not an act.

Again, this was in the 90's. I probably would've used the term "lezzers" in the 90's. Are you going to judge him for the rest of his life for something he said in his 20's? Maybe he grew up since then.

I urge you to watch the video I posted, or at least a couple of mins (I appreciate it's quite long) at the points I suggested above.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:17 - Nov 11 with 949 viewsEnigma_Blue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:05 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

Unless you are getting mixed up with dates your account doesn't add up.

You said you first met him in the mid nighties and at first thought he was doing 'his act' as you had previously been him on the 11 O'clock show.

But the 11'oclock show wasn't first broadcast until 1998.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:20 - Nov 11 with 944 viewsJ2BLUE

I think most young men have made similar comments about lesbians at some point in their younger and stupider days. I certainly have. Not proud of it but i'm also not going to pretend i've always been a saint either.

People grow up. I dread to think how many gay jokes me and my mates made when we were younger. When you grow up you look back and realise you were being a tw@t.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time (n/t) on 15:22 - Nov 11 with 942 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 14:25 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

His jokes aren't nearly always aimed at 'spazzers' and 'mongs'. In fact NONE of them are aimed at those people. You've confused the subject and the target of the joke.

Gervais' sister works with kids with learning difficulties, and he talks reverently about it in the video in the OP.

I would encourage you to watch it, or at least watch for a couple of minutes from minute 38 where Gervais and Krauss explain about jokes and offence (better than I can.) Or perhaps from 42:20; Krauss: "One can use comedy to talk about things which would otherwise be of great concern. It gives you an in...' Gervais: That's what humour's for. It gets us over bad stuff. It sharpens our claws. It keeps us fighting fit for the real world."

I swear on my life, his humour is not akin to Jim Davidson. Give this a bit of a watch, it's a very interesting debate even if you don't agree.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:49 - Nov 11 with 907 viewsDecageBruce

I used to be in similar circles to Keiron Dyer in the late 90's/early 00's. At that time he was a complete arse at times, especially when out in the town/socialising.

I have seen a lot of him being interviewed recently and he himself admits that he has changed as he has grown up. I for one am probably ashamed and embarrassed at some of the things I did in my teens and did/said up until my mid to late 20s.

Times, phrases, views and people change and I for one am happy to admit my failings and forgive others theirs
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:21 - Nov 11 with 871 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:17 - Nov 11 by Enigma_Blue

Unless you are getting mixed up with dates your account doesn't add up.

You said you first met him in the mid nighties and at first thought he was doing 'his act' as you had previously been him on the 11 O'clock show.

But the 11'oclock show wasn't first broadcast until 1998.

If the years are out, my recollections aren't
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:43 - Nov 11 with 845 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:49 - Nov 11 by DecageBruce

I used to be in similar circles to Keiron Dyer in the late 90's/early 00's. At that time he was a complete arse at times, especially when out in the town/socialising.

I have seen a lot of him being interviewed recently and he himself admits that he has changed as he has grown up. I for one am probably ashamed and embarrassed at some of the things I did in my teens and did/said up until my mid to late 20s.

Times, phrases, views and people change and I for one am happy to admit my failings and forgive others theirs

Which rather underpins my point - that what Gervais was doing on TV, was how he was in real life

If Dyer was still behaving like his earlier years would we have to believe that he is mere;y 'playing a character ?

And yes, I have watched the interview, the bit where he trues to justify his comments with guff about a right to offend. But as with others of his sort, does not see the requirement of a responsibility that goes with that.

And his whining is aimed at those who might feel the need to respond on behalf of those he has offended. He talks of 'punching down', and then tries to justify those kinds of comments by asking who says what is down.

Again his justification seems to amount to who has the right to judge that, and thus say that he is punching down.

Well I am sure most would recognise that a millionaire who has the stage and mic is punching down when the subject is someone who through birth has less physical and/or mental benefits he has. Someone who can be the but of the joke, because that disability means they share every other characteristic of similar folk (stereotyping).

Gervase is neither cutting edge nor challenging. Just someone who, were he dressed in a frilly shirt and bowtie, would not sound out of place in a social club of the 1970s.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:03 - Nov 11 with 814 viewseireblue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:20 - Nov 11 by J2BLUE

I think most young men have made similar comments about lesbians at some point in their younger and stupider days. I certainly have. Not proud of it but i'm also not going to pretend i've always been a saint either.

People grow up. I dread to think how many gay jokes me and my mates made when we were younger. When you grow up you look back and realise you were being a tw@t.

If it helps the discussion, I have no problem believing you were a tw@t.

Obvs, not now.

Is this helping to bring things to a conclusion?

But who knew that Ricky Gervais, genius, yes/no, was a more interesting topic than the Aleutian Islands. Dashiell Hammett worked there for a while, and he was definitely a genius. There maybe others as well. Honestly you don’t know what your missing out on, on that thread.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2020 17:07]
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:14 - Nov 11 with 802 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:43 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

Which rather underpins my point - that what Gervais was doing on TV, was how he was in real life

If Dyer was still behaving like his earlier years would we have to believe that he is mere;y 'playing a character ?

And yes, I have watched the interview, the bit where he trues to justify his comments with guff about a right to offend. But as with others of his sort, does not see the requirement of a responsibility that goes with that.

And his whining is aimed at those who might feel the need to respond on behalf of those he has offended. He talks of 'punching down', and then tries to justify those kinds of comments by asking who says what is down.

Again his justification seems to amount to who has the right to judge that, and thus say that he is punching down.

Well I am sure most would recognise that a millionaire who has the stage and mic is punching down when the subject is someone who through birth has less physical and/or mental benefits he has. Someone who can be the but of the joke, because that disability means they share every other characteristic of similar folk (stereotyping).

Gervase is neither cutting edge nor challenging. Just someone who, were he dressed in a frilly shirt and bowtie, would not sound out of place in a social club of the 1970s.

I'm surprised that even after watching the discussion you're still not getting it. The disabled person isn't the butt of the joke. The buffoon mocking the disabled person is the butt of the joke. He doesn't do 'haha, look at you, you're disabled' jokes.

Dyer has never played a character because he isn't an actor or a stand up comedian.

Did you see the bit in the interview where Krauss says after watching After Life he could tell it was written by a good person. Lawrence Krauss is a highly respected intellectual; do you not think for a moment that when he says these words, you might be missing something?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:45 - Nov 11 with 776 viewsDecageBruce

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:43 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

"what Gervais was doing on TV, was how he was in real life"

Could this not be the point. That he has grown and learnt lessons, taking inspiration and written using experiences and thoughts from himself and others in the past?

Have you watched Phoenix Nights? Do you view Peter Kay in the same light and having obvious hatred of disabled people?

All genuine questions and not questioning your take on all this as you have your right to your opinion. Just interested
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024