Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time 15:07 - Nov 10 with 9757 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I appreciate some don't like his stand up - I don't know why myself, but humour is subjective. But it's interesting some of those people still love other things like The Office, Extras, Derek, After Life...

I've loved them all, but in different ways. I didn't really enjoy The Office initially, but when you look back it's a brilliant bit of writing. It's subtle, a lot of it, which is why I don't think I initially got the humour. It's weird to say that because now I don't think it's that subtle.

Extras is funny because it's such big stars being self deprecating, which was refreshing at the time. The Les Dennis stuff is incredible. You don't know whether to laugh or cry because it's so near the bone.

I literally did laugh and cry at Derek. After Life I'm not so enamoured with, but I imagine I'll love it in time given what's happened before.

The Golden Globes stuff puncturing the egos of the rich and famous is brilliant too.

Just been watching this with Lawrence Krauss. I'm still agnostic but the logic of both is impeccable.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:45 - Nov 10 with 1016 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:22 - Nov 10 by SouperJim

Completely get why you might think that way, but I don't think the intent is to mock those with low intelligence, poor social skills etc. Derek portrays someone who is dismissed by many because of how he appears, but in contrast is himself without judgement and is utterly kind and humane. If anything it challenges prejudice by showing someone with an apparent learning difficulty in a very positive light, a champion of those downtrodden and disregarded by society.

Quite.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:47 - Nov 10 with 1014 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:17 - Nov 10 by StokieBlue

I'm afraid I'm not sure.

I didn't have the attention span to bother looking at the credits.

SB

You're better than this Stokie. You can normally judge and discuss things in an intelligent and rational manner without lowering yourself to crowd pleasing.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:48 - Nov 10 with 1015 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:30 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Really odd take. I've put this up knowing full well people will disagree.

Maybe you think I'm an idiot?

No, but you're certainly argumentative. I didn't like Derek. I don't like the idea of Gervais portraying someone with learning difficulties. Nothing about the series as a whole would change that, I'm afraid.

Sorry.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:49 - Nov 10 with 1010 viewsSpruceMoose

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:42 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Shame you have to go down this route, a man who pretends to be a moose on the internet, but there you go.

I really don't care who likes the comedy I like. I thought the video in the OP was interesting. I guarantee you, and the knockers, haven't watched it.

Honestly Dollers, you seem like a guy who has big feelings about small things, and whilst being rather endearing it can also be exhausting. So for both our sakes I'm not going to go down this route with you today.

I'll just say I'm glad you like RG, it's a wonderful feeling to enjoy another person's creative output, but looking down your nose at people who don't have the same taste in entertainers as you won't win you many admirers. It'll probably take away from your own enjoyment too if you go down this road of taking other folks taste so personally.

Toodles.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 16:54]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:54 - Nov 10 with 993 viewsSouperJim

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:48 - Nov 10 by footers

No, but you're certainly argumentative. I didn't like Derek. I don't like the idea of Gervais portraying someone with learning difficulties. Nothing about the series as a whole would change that, I'm afraid.

Sorry.

Why footers (the portraying someone with learning difficulties bit)? Genuine non-loaded question, I'm not looking for an argument, I find this kind of thing hard to grasp so am interested in your perspective.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 16:55]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:54 - Nov 10 with 989 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:26 - Nov 10 by SouperJim

As someone who works with autistic young people I agree completely. I think he wanted to deflect the inevitable criticism for being a neurotypical comedian playing someone with special needs.

Interesting that you guys who actually deal with this in real life get it. The offended (who don't have direct experience) might want to reflect on that.

I should probably point out at this juncture that I have a cousin with noonan syndrome (similar to Downs).

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:59 - Nov 10 with 973 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:54 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Interesting that you guys who actually deal with this in real life get it. The offended (who don't have direct experience) might want to reflect on that.

I should probably point out at this juncture that I have a cousin with noonan syndrome (similar to Downs).

My uncle has severe mental and physical disabilities and is under my legal care.

Edit: Your arrogance is staggering. You may want to reflect on that.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 17:02]

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:59 - Nov 10 with 970 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:41 - Nov 10 by HARRY10

"his writing is much better when he has Stephen Merchant alongside him "

alongside him ?

Much as Andrew Ridgely is a much better singer when he has George Michael performing beside him

Gervais does not 'set out' to be offensive he is offensive. Anyone who remembers him from the 11 O'Clock show (mid 90s) will remember his stuff about 'spazzers etc'

A truly odious little runt

You're judging a man from what he did in the mid 90's when he was in his twenties?!

I'm not a fan of his music then either TBH. I'm not a fan of many of the things I did then either.

Login to get fewer ads

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:00 - Nov 10 with 968 viewsDubtractor

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:13 - Nov 10 by StokieBlue

It's a bit insulting to basically say that if people don't like him then they have short attention spans and thus can't understand the grandeur of his creation but you can of course see it clearly for what it is.

We are talking about other adults here, not kids. People are allowed to dislike things that you think are amazing.

Personally I don't think he's that great, the Office was good but wasn't too keen on much else. Perhaps I have a short attention span and need to watch Transformers Rescue Bots instead as it's more my level.

SB

I'm gonna skip the rest of this thread, but due to this post I need to post this. CHeesy anthemic rock does NOT get better than this..

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:00 - Nov 10 with 967 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:54 - Nov 10 by SouperJim

Why footers (the portraying someone with learning difficulties bit)? Genuine non-loaded question, I'm not looking for an argument, I find this kind of thing hard to grasp so am interested in your perspective.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 16:55]

I just feel that there is no room for it in this day and age when we should be promoting actors with learning difficulties or other disabilities to play roles themselves. If Gervais felt strongly enough about it, I'm sure he could have cast himself in another role instead.

But it just feels a bit 'blackface' to me.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:01 - Nov 10 with 963 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:48 - Nov 10 by footers

Sorry.

You've missed the point.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:02 - Nov 10 with 961 viewsStokieBlue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:47 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're better than this Stokie. You can normally judge and discuss things in an intelligent and rational manner without lowering yourself to crowd pleasing.

It really was a poor post though Dolly.

Try to go read it back from a neutral perspective. It reads awfully.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:04 - Nov 10 with 957 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:01 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

You've missed the point.

OK Dolly, you've changed my mind. Well done.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:04 - Nov 10 with 954 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:49 - Nov 10 by SpruceMoose

Honestly Dollers, you seem like a guy who has big feelings about small things, and whilst being rather endearing it can also be exhausting. So for both our sakes I'm not going to go down this route with you today.

I'll just say I'm glad you like RG, it's a wonderful feeling to enjoy another person's creative output, but looking down your nose at people who don't have the same taste in entertainers as you won't win you many admirers. It'll probably take away from your own enjoyment too if you go down this road of taking other folks taste so personally.

Toodles.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 16:54]

I'm not taking it personally. As I said, I put this up knowing full-well others would disagree.

You do me a disservice, frankly.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:05 - Nov 10 with 946 viewsSpruceMoose

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:04 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not taking it personally. As I said, I put this up knowing full-well others would disagree.

You do me a disservice, frankly.

OK cool. I'm checking out now. I'll be back on page 10.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:06 - Nov 10 with 942 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:59 - Nov 10 by footers

My uncle has severe mental and physical disabilities and is under my legal care.

Edit: Your arrogance is staggering. You may want to reflect on that.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 17:02]

What have I been arrogant about? I genuinely have no idea.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:07 - Nov 10 with 931 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:08 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Quite. It's easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter. Gervais' characters all have a point to them. If you're only getting them superficially then you're not getting them.

‘It’s easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter’.

I like Gervais but I was curious as to how on earth this thread was coming up to 4 pages in two hours so had to have a scroll. I now see why.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:07 - Nov 10 with 929 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:06 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

What have I been arrogant about? I genuinely have no idea.

Suggesting that others may want to reflect on something when you have absolutely no idea of their own situtation.

That you insulted people's intelligence to have the temerity to not like something you do.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:09 - Nov 10 with 917 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:00 - Nov 10 by footers

I just feel that there is no room for it in this day and age when we should be promoting actors with learning difficulties or other disabilities to play roles themselves. If Gervais felt strongly enough about it, I'm sure he could have cast himself in another role instead.

But it just feels a bit 'blackface' to me.

Wowsers. If you thing Derek is akin to 'blackface' then there's no debating with you.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:10 - Nov 10 with 912 viewsNewcyBlue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:47 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

That’s comedy, surprised you couldn’t see it mate!

(Don’t get all uppity about any of this Dollers... you can’t make the comments you made without a bit of gentle ribbing!)

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:11 - Nov 10 with 911 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:09 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Wowsers. If you thing Derek is akin to 'blackface' then there's no debating with you.

I'll leave you to it.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:13 - Nov 10 with 899 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:10 - Nov 10 by NewcyBlue

That’s comedy, surprised you couldn’t see it mate!

(Don’t get all uppity about any of this Dollers... you can’t make the comments you made without a bit of gentle ribbing!)

I'm not remotely uppity.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:14 - Nov 10 with 892 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Back to the topic in hand, as I fear it’s somewhat being lost here, I agree with you Dolly that he’s a genius writer. Some very subtle moments of ingenuity such as the moment of him deciding (surprisingly but may seem to viewers) at the end of series 2 in afterlife that enough was enough and the crying finally as he’s making his decision.. powerful. Or when he gives the addict the money to OD on heroine to get out. Or the dog dying in Derek. There’s a lot of really strong stuff in there mixed with the genuinely funny comedy. The blend is what makes it so good.

That being said.. I though Extras was rubbish and didn’t last longer than about 3 episodes.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:14 - Nov 10 with 891 viewsFunge

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:19 - Nov 10 by itfcjoe

I really like his stand up, but think you've got his TV shows just about right

1 - The Office - can't be beaten for me
2 - Extras - very good, with an excellent ending show
3 - Life's Too Short - Oops
4 - Derek - Decent enough, but just all a bit obvious for me, lacked the nuance
5 - After Life - Good premise, with a good overarching story but the characters on the side almost make it a sketch show at times. Didn't need Paul Kay in it and not one I'd rush back to watch.

I'd still say I'm a big fan more generally, but a lot of that is due to the credit he has in the bank - his writing is much better when he has Stephen Merchant alongside him

I'd forgotten about Paul Kay's character in AL - what the fck was all that about? Woefully misplaced, and appallingly acted, too.

Enjoyed Roisin Conaty and Joe WIlkinson's characters, and Penelope Wilton's character was thoughtfully played - but wow, that Paul Kay character grated so badly.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 17:18 - Nov 10 with 877 viewsNewcyBlue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:54 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Here’s something for you.

MrsN was looking over Michael when he was on the Special Care Baby Unit and noticed that he has a singular palmar crease. This is a sign of downs syndrome.

Rather than mention it to me, she requested a consultant. As a midwife, she knows the signs to look for. The consultant came along to do an assessment. No other signs were found, he then asked whether the father (me) has this too.

Sure enough I do. On my left hand, the same as Michael. So does Seb.

It’s pretty rare according to the consultant.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024