Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time 15:07 - Nov 10 with 9753 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I appreciate some don't like his stand up - I don't know why myself, but humour is subjective. But it's interesting some of those people still love other things like The Office, Extras, Derek, After Life...

I've loved them all, but in different ways. I didn't really enjoy The Office initially, but when you look back it's a brilliant bit of writing. It's subtle, a lot of it, which is why I don't think I initially got the humour. It's weird to say that because now I don't think it's that subtle.

Extras is funny because it's such big stars being self deprecating, which was refreshing at the time. The Les Dennis stuff is incredible. You don't know whether to laugh or cry because it's so near the bone.

I literally did laugh and cry at Derek. After Life I'm not so enamoured with, but I imagine I'll love it in time given what's happened before.

The Golden Globes stuff puncturing the egos of the rich and famous is brilliant too.

Just been watching this with Lawrence Krauss. I'm still agnostic but the logic of both is impeccable.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 20:56 - Nov 10 with 1276 viewsSwailsey

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 20:12 - Nov 10 by jeera

I would say to that, that you don't have a fecking clue who knows who in real life or who gets what you rude tw*t.

You really are a clueless arse half the time.

It might help if for once you actually reflected on that.

[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 20:14]

I would like to give Dolly the benefit of the doubt and say that he is just very, very un-self-aware.

I think if he could view his posts objectively he would see why he gets so much pushback and as you say, why he makes people react in such an incredulous way.

I can't honestly believe that someone would knowingly act how he does, and be so ready to tell others how to be.

I just wish he would stop leaving and the coming back saying he has changed. He hasn't. He won't. And that's fine. Just own it!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 22:45 - Nov 10 with 1207 viewsjeera

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 20:56 - Nov 10 by Swailsey

I would like to give Dolly the benefit of the doubt and say that he is just very, very un-self-aware.

I think if he could view his posts objectively he would see why he gets so much pushback and as you say, why he makes people react in such an incredulous way.

I can't honestly believe that someone would knowingly act how he does, and be so ready to tell others how to be.

I just wish he would stop leaving and the coming back saying he has changed. He hasn't. He won't. And that's fine. Just own it!

He needs to grow up and realise other people not only have life experiences, but clearly in many cases a damn sight more than he does.

It's like dealing with a petulant child.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 23:41 - Nov 10 with 1178 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 22:45 - Nov 10 by jeera

He needs to grow up and realise other people not only have life experiences, but clearly in many cases a damn sight more than he does.

It's like dealing with a petulant child.

It's a light-hearted thread about a comedian. I think you need to get a bit of perspective, or maybe don't click on my threads if they upset you so much.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 07:05 - Nov 11 with 1094 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:59 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're judging a man from what he did in the mid 90's when he was in his twenties?!

I'm not a fan of his music then either TBH. I'm not a fan of many of the things I did then either.

No, I am pointing out that his need to ridicule those with mental and physical 'impairments' has been his stock in trade from day one - only now it is about a supposed 'right to offend' and those who are offended 'don't get it'.

Just as we don't get Jim Davidson, or Roy'chubby' Brown.

Society has become more inclusive thankfully and these pair of hate mongers are now relics of a more bigoted past. One where their 'humour was acceptable to a large part of society.

All Gervaise with his 'lets laugh at a 'spazzer' stuff has done is to keep that alive by dressing it up as some kind of freedom of speech done in an ironical form.

Some really 'cutting edge; stuff here

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 07:16 - Nov 11 with 1080 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 07:05 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

No, I am pointing out that his need to ridicule those with mental and physical 'impairments' has been his stock in trade from day one - only now it is about a supposed 'right to offend' and those who are offended 'don't get it'.

Society has become more inclusive thankfully and these pair of hate mongers are now relics of a more bigoted past. One where their 'humour was acceptable to a large part of society.

All Gervaise with his 'lets laugh at a 'spazzer' stuff has done is to keep that alive by dressing it up as some kind of freedom of speech done in an ironical form.

Comparing Ricky Gervais with Jim Davidson is one hell of a leap to make a point.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 07:51 - Nov 11 with 1058 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 07:16 - Nov 11 by The_Romford_Blue

Comparing Ricky Gervais with Jim Davidson is one hell of a leap to make a point.

' a rose by any other name.....'
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:33 - Nov 11 with 1034 viewsDecageBruce

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 07:51 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

' a rose by any other name.....'

Have you watched Derek?

He is not mocking Derek or people with additional needs etc, it is exactly the opposite
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:40 - Nov 11 with 1030 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:33 - Nov 11 by DecageBruce

Have you watched Derek?

He is not mocking Derek or people with additional needs etc, it is exactly the opposite

He obviously hasn't and by his tone his mind isn't going to be changed either.

Login to get fewer ads

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:46 - Nov 11 with 1024 viewsSwailsey

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:40 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

He obviously hasn't and by his tone his mind isn't going to be changed either.

Or he has a subjective opinion on a piece or art and how he interprets it.

Why are you like this?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:53 - Nov 11 with 1011 viewsBig_Jase

I love The Office & Extras, After Life I found watchable but couldn’t understand the hype personally, swearing profusely and saying the word c*nt doesn’t cut it as humour for me, it wasn’t exactly subtle or clever.

His recent stand up wasn’t great for me, again he’s basically just trying to do shock jokes, really not that clever or funny for me.

On Twitter I had to unfollow him, he comes across an absolute bell and had a nasty habit of punching down rather than up, this coupled with all the arrogant tweets about how much money each of his series earn him, if he was made out of chocolate he would eat himself.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:56 - Nov 11 with 1008 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 07:05 - Nov 11 by HARRY10

He's playing a boorish character here. We're laughing at him, how stupid and ignorant he is, not disabled people. And it was at least 25 years ago, long before even The Office.

If you're saying he does 'let's all laugh at a spazzer' jokes in the vein of Davidson and Brown then you really haven't got it.

As he says himself, "I think most offence comes when people mistake the subject of a joke with the actual target." I feel I'm wasting my time trying to explain it to you though, so I'll leave it there.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:59 - Nov 11 with 1004 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:46 - Nov 11 by Swailsey

Or he has a subjective opinion on a piece or art and how he interprets it.

Why are you like this?

Why are you only having a pop at me and none of the others who agree (including the person I'm replying to here)? All I'm doing is agreeing with them... but you don't say a word to them you go straight for me. Interesting, that.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:59 - Nov 11 with 1004 viewsSwailsey

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:56 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

He's playing a boorish character here. We're laughing at him, how stupid and ignorant he is, not disabled people. And it was at least 25 years ago, long before even The Office.

If you're saying he does 'let's all laugh at a spazzer' jokes in the vein of Davidson and Brown then you really haven't got it.

As he says himself, "I think most offence comes when people mistake the subject of a joke with the actual target." I feel I'm wasting my time trying to explain it to you though, so I'll leave it there.

No-one asked you to start this thread!

Why can't you accept that other's have a different opinion to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 09:00 - Nov 11 with 1003 viewsSwailsey

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:59 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Why are you only having a pop at me and none of the others who agree (including the person I'm replying to here)? All I'm doing is agreeing with them... but you don't say a word to them you go straight for me. Interesting, that.

Oh dude I'm out and you're going on ignore, I honestly can't handle you.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 09:01 - Nov 11 with 997 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:59 - Nov 11 by Swailsey

No-one asked you to start this thread!

Why can't you accept that other's have a different opinion to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I can. Why can't you accept me responding to their opinion?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 09:02 - Nov 11 with 996 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 09:00 - Nov 11 by Swailsey

Oh dude I'm out and you're going on ignore, I honestly can't handle you.

Yep, if you can't answer you can always run away.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:09 - Nov 11 with 939 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 08:33 - Nov 11 by DecageBruce

Have you watched Derek?

Yes

and having spoken with him, I can assure you he was not playing some character, that is him as others who have worked with him will vouch for - hence the Enfield and Whitehouse parody

there is not some hidden depth that only the enlightened can see, but an obnoxious bigot who the faithful(gullible) delude themselves this being 'edgy' and can see that it is only a joke....... that just happens to always focus on those with mental and physical differences - as well as gay and trans folk

if it looks like a duck... etc
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:21 - Nov 11 with 920 viewsFunge

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 09:02 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep, if you can't answer you can always run away.

Bruv, your opening gambit is that humour is subjective. No one disagrees with this.

You have then spent the next however many pages arguing that actually, it isn't. This is where people get very confused.

This has also been seen on various previous threads on things that you like, that other people don't - Morrissey and Royal Blood spring immediately to mind.

It's a berserk method of debate.
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:25 - Nov 11 with 907 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:21 - Nov 11 by Funge

Bruv, your opening gambit is that humour is subjective. No one disagrees with this.

You have then spent the next however many pages arguing that actually, it isn't. This is where people get very confused.

This has also been seen on various previous threads on things that you like, that other people don't - Morrissey and Royal Blood spring immediately to mind.

It's a berserk method of debate.

No, this is where you're mistaken. We're not debating whether he's funny or not - that is obviously subjective as I said in the OP. We're debating on whether he's intentionally offensive in a Jim Davidson way. That is something you can question.

If anyone just doesn't find him funny, I'm absolutely fine with that. Each to their own. Same goes for music.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:36 - Nov 11 with 898 viewsFunge

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:25 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, this is where you're mistaken. We're not debating whether he's funny or not - that is obviously subjective as I said in the OP. We're debating on whether he's intentionally offensive in a Jim Davidson way. That is something you can question.

If anyone just doesn't find him funny, I'm absolutely fine with that. Each to their own. Same goes for music.

Fair enough - I mean, for what it's worth, that's not how you portray yourself - but then that's just my opinion, which is subjective too! How confusing.

In terms of his 'offensiveness' - well, obviously he's playing the oaf/ boor role for laughs; personally I think that there are other proponents of this 'schtick' who do it better - Frankie Boyle springs immediately to mind, but then he, in turn, is left in the shade by the great Doug Stanhope, and they all worship at the altar of Jerry Sadowicz.

Davidson was never a particularly good comedian, primarily because you need to be able to persuade the audience that you are putting on a show - with Davidson, you don't see that distinction; he just comes across as a genuinely unpleasant individual.

By contrast, I saw Sadowicz live a few years back - he goes ludicrously hard in his set; thankfully I was sat somewhere in the middle of the audience, as every poor fcker in the front row was getting slaughtered. Anyway, the gig finished, and Sadowicz came out into the foyer for autographs etc afterwards - he was unbelievably meek, to the point of appearing humble.

As for Gervais? I guess the point I'm making is that it's difficult, sometimes, to see where he's drawing the line between his act, and 'real life'. Perhaps that's a skill he doesn't excel in; perhaps, as others have alluded to above, he's a bit of an arse. Who knows?
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:50 - Nov 11 with 878 viewsipswich78

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:12 - Nov 10 by J2BLUE

My brother is autistic and it was his portrayal of Derek which actually won me around. He absolutely nailed it. The scene with the dog being put down was incredibly. I think he has since denied the character was autistic but i'm not sure why as he played the part so well.

I do wonder if his denial about autism etc. was to stop any potential backlash if Derek was 'labelled'?

If I recall correctly, didn't Gervais state that Derek was just on the 'edge of society' with his personality traits?

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:51 - Nov 11 with 876 viewsipswich78

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:15 - Nov 10 by NewcyBlue

Does Peter Cullen still do the voice for Optimus?

Yep!

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:56 - Nov 11 with 856 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:36 - Nov 11 by Funge

Fair enough - I mean, for what it's worth, that's not how you portray yourself - but then that's just my opinion, which is subjective too! How confusing.

In terms of his 'offensiveness' - well, obviously he's playing the oaf/ boor role for laughs; personally I think that there are other proponents of this 'schtick' who do it better - Frankie Boyle springs immediately to mind, but then he, in turn, is left in the shade by the great Doug Stanhope, and they all worship at the altar of Jerry Sadowicz.

Davidson was never a particularly good comedian, primarily because you need to be able to persuade the audience that you are putting on a show - with Davidson, you don't see that distinction; he just comes across as a genuinely unpleasant individual.

By contrast, I saw Sadowicz live a few years back - he goes ludicrously hard in his set; thankfully I was sat somewhere in the middle of the audience, as every poor fcker in the front row was getting slaughtered. Anyway, the gig finished, and Sadowicz came out into the foyer for autographs etc afterwards - he was unbelievably meek, to the point of appearing humble.

As for Gervais? I guess the point I'm making is that it's difficult, sometimes, to see where he's drawing the line between his act, and 'real life'. Perhaps that's a skill he doesn't excel in; perhaps, as others have alluded to above, he's a bit of an arse. Who knows?

Yep, all fair points.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:59 - Nov 11 with 843 viewsNewcyBlue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:25 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

“ Quite. It's easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter. Gervais' characters all have a point to them. If you're only getting them superficially then you're not getting them”

That could be construed as you saying “he’s funny and if you don’t find him funny you’re not intelligent enough to”.

I would say that’s the post that annoyed most people.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 11:02 - Nov 11 with 834 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 10:59 - Nov 11 by NewcyBlue

“ Quite. It's easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter. Gervais' characters all have a point to them. If you're only getting them superficially then you're not getting them”

That could be construed as you saying “he’s funny and if you don’t find him funny you’re not intelligent enough to”.

I would say that’s the post that annoyed most people.

His work's not exactly Ulysses, is it?

And the suggestion that only people who have first-hand experience with people with similar issues actually understand this complex humour with no basis was equally offensive.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024