Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Useful interim measure 10:52 - Nov 11 with 2487 viewsGuthrum

while renewables and, particularly, battery storage get up to speed over the next 20 years? Possibly more cost-effective than the current, larger projects and can be individually decommissioned when the time comes.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/11/rolls-royce-vows-to-create-6000

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Useful interim measure on 11:08 - Nov 11 with 2463 viewsGeoffSentence

Yep, I have been following stories on SMR's for a while and agree that they do look like a decent interim solution.

Should keep us going for 30 years until fusion power is here

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Useful interim measure on 11:14 - Nov 11 with 2459 viewsStokieBlue

Yes, seems like a good idea in order to provide baseline capacity. Also great if it can be designed and produced in this country creating jobs.

I heard about this on a podcast the other day, not the most efficient but simple and good for providing surge demand coverage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54841528

60-70% efficiency is absolutely fine for something like this - also nice it was designed by some guy in his shed.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Useful interim measure on 11:26 - Nov 11 with 2435 viewsEdwardStone

Another day, another wet dream from the Nuclear Industry

If renewables had been showered the love and cash that the atomic boys have benefitted from, we would have been running on zero carbon genuine green energy 2 decades ago

"Too cheap to meter" they said....too expensive to contemplate I reckon
Useful interim measure on 11:27 - Nov 11 with 2432 viewsCoachRob

Useful interim measure on 11:14 - Nov 11 by StokieBlue

Yes, seems like a good idea in order to provide baseline capacity. Also great if it can be designed and produced in this country creating jobs.

I heard about this on a podcast the other day, not the most efficient but simple and good for providing surge demand coverage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54841528

60-70% efficiency is absolutely fine for something like this - also nice it was designed by some guy in his shed.

SB

Great to see citizen science alive and well.

Interesting to see if XR will come behind this - I have seen a few strong objections to nuclear from XR members but there seems little alternative.
Useful interim measure on 11:27 - Nov 11 with 2431 viewsArnoldMoorhen

On a related note: electric car batteries. Would it not make more sense to electrify motorways, so that cars charge as they drive on them, and make cars with 50 to 100 miles of stored range, for journeys off-motorway, rather than sticking lots of heavy batteries in every car because of the tiny percentage of long journeys that most people make?
Useful interim measure on 11:29 - Nov 11 with 2426 viewswoiii

Serious question... is this a benefit of brexit? Or would this have to go out to EU wide tender under EU rules?
Useful interim measure on 11:40 - Nov 11 with 2410 viewsGuthrum

Useful interim measure on 11:27 - Nov 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

On a related note: electric car batteries. Would it not make more sense to electrify motorways, so that cars charge as they drive on them, and make cars with 50 to 100 miles of stored range, for journeys off-motorway, rather than sticking lots of heavy batteries in every car because of the tiny percentage of long journeys that most people make?

It's a good idea, but the infrastructure costs would be eyewatering.

Cheaper might possibly be to use Channel Tunnel-style trains to transport cars en masse between hubs.

Useful interim measure on 11:46 - Nov 11 with 2402 viewsGuthrum

Useful interim measure on 11:26 - Nov 11 by EdwardStone

If renewables had been showered the love and cash that the atomic boys have benefitted from, we would have been running on zero carbon genuine green energy 2 decades ago

Unfortunately, the green energy sector lacked the "sexiness" of the nuclear one (and possibly the PR expertise). Plus government ministers love big projects.

Question is whether it's better to - as far as possible - abolish fossil fuel generation sooner rather than later, given where we are now with the development of renewables and the climate situation. At least stop pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere.

Login to get fewer ads

Useful interim measure on 11:49 - Nov 11 with 2395 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Useful interim measure on 11:40 - Nov 11 by Guthrum

It's a good idea, but the infrastructure costs would be eyewatering.

Cheaper might possibly be to use Channel Tunnel-style trains to transport cars en masse between hubs.

I'm thinking induction chargers, like phones use, underneath the car, which lower down on motorways for close proximity to the charging coils in the road surface, then raise up when the car goes off the motorway for better ground clearance.

It would eliminate the need for fuel stops (efficiency savings) and could be charged in road-pricing to meet the infrastructure cost. I'd like to see the cost comparison with HS2.

And while we're at it, why don't dairy farmers capture the methane produced by the cows in those massive metal barns? It's a seriously damaging greenhouse gas anyway, so surely better to use it for micro-electricity generation?
Useful interim measure on 11:52 - Nov 11 with 2390 viewsEdwardStone

Useful interim measure on 11:49 - Nov 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'm thinking induction chargers, like phones use, underneath the car, which lower down on motorways for close proximity to the charging coils in the road surface, then raise up when the car goes off the motorway for better ground clearance.

It would eliminate the need for fuel stops (efficiency savings) and could be charged in road-pricing to meet the infrastructure cost. I'd like to see the cost comparison with HS2.

And while we're at it, why don't dairy farmers capture the methane produced by the cows in those massive metal barns? It's a seriously damaging greenhouse gas anyway, so surely better to use it for micro-electricity generation?

I know that some local dairy farms are using slurry to generate electricity, I like the idea of the barn methane capture....good thinking Mr Moorhen
Useful interim measure on 11:57 - Nov 11 with 2382 viewsEdwardStone

Useful interim measure on 11:46 - Nov 11 by Guthrum

Unfortunately, the green energy sector lacked the "sexiness" of the nuclear one (and possibly the PR expertise). Plus government ministers love big projects.

Question is whether it's better to - as far as possible - abolish fossil fuel generation sooner rather than later, given where we are now with the development of renewables and the climate situation. At least stop pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere.

Exactly this....politicians are entranced by the Grand Gesture....the magical silver bullet that will solve a problem in a jiffy

Loft insulation and energy efficiency aren't in the slightest bit shiny or sexy, but they play a critical part in driving down CO2

Maybe we could go even smaller with micro-nuclear....mount a small leaky reactor on the back of a truck and say to people that unless they insulate their loft and use less energy then we will park the wretched thing on their driveway. That might encourage folks to consider their carbon footprint
Useful interim measure on 12:04 - Nov 11 with 2376 viewsArnoldMoorhen

If the money and lives spent on the Iraq War had been spent on renewables...

When we're aware of the disastrous effect of micro-plastic in the oceans on the food chain, greenhouse gases on the Ozone layer, and industrial off-spill on lakes and rivers, which will continue to blight the world for generations, I can't get enthusiastic about a move to nuclear where we receive the benefits and future generations face the clean-up costs. Not right, not fair, not wise.
Useful interim measure on 12:09 - Nov 11 with 2365 viewsJakeITFC

It’s my personal opinion that building and committing to long term contracts for something as inflexible as nuclear power is the wrong way to think of the problems that the UK energy mix is going to encounter in the coming years.
Useful interim measure on 12:12 - Nov 11 with 2357 viewsStokieBlue

Useful interim measure on 12:09 - Nov 11 by JakeITFC

It’s my personal opinion that building and committing to long term contracts for something as inflexible as nuclear power is the wrong way to think of the problems that the UK energy mix is going to encounter in the coming years.

How would you provide the baseline power required by the UK?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Useful interim measure on 12:32 - Nov 11 with 2324 viewsRyorry

Sorry to keep repeating, I know it might be boring, but there were working models for capturing wave energy (and tidal) extant in the early 1990s - we're surrounded by bloody waves, and they're capable of creating enough energy for the UK to massively reduce - maybe even eliminate - our need to burn fossil fuels to get our electricity.

But M. Thatcher and successors just not interested in supporting that - too many vested interests in the gas & oil industries, and the financial institutions that fund those

We may have to resort to more nuclear energy in the interim as Guthers says tho, just marginally preferable to carrying on increasing climate change.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2020 12:34]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Useful interim measure on 12:47 - Nov 11 with 2309 viewsNewcyBlue

Battery storage? I don’t want to be negative, but are you positive?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Useful interim measure on 13:06 - Nov 11 with 2296 viewsHARRY10

Useful interim measure on 12:47 - Nov 11 by NewcyBlue

Battery storage? I don’t want to be negative, but are you positive?

yes

AAA, to be exact
Useful interim measure on 13:16 - Nov 11 with 2278 viewsJakeITFC

Useful interim measure on 12:12 - Nov 11 by StokieBlue

How would you provide the baseline power required by the UK?

SB

Baseload generation is obviously critically important but I think the lack of flexibility that nuclear provides means that we could be stuck with GWs of generation that could easily be surpassed in the coming years.

Examples of technologies like gas and biomass (perhaps both with carbon capture) provide baseload generation but have the ability to flex up and down to satisfy other grid needs. It is important that we don't just think of this problem as a simple case of total demand v total generation but also about how we deal with the gaps in generation that comes with such intermittent sources as solar and wind.
Useful interim measure on 15:30 - Nov 11 with 2237 viewsGuthrum

Useful interim measure on 12:32 - Nov 11 by Ryorry

Sorry to keep repeating, I know it might be boring, but there were working models for capturing wave energy (and tidal) extant in the early 1990s - we're surrounded by bloody waves, and they're capable of creating enough energy for the UK to massively reduce - maybe even eliminate - our need to burn fossil fuels to get our electricity.

But M. Thatcher and successors just not interested in supporting that - too many vested interests in the gas & oil industries, and the financial institutions that fund those

We may have to resort to more nuclear energy in the interim as Guthers says tho, just marginally preferable to carrying on increasing climate change.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2020 12:34]

The problem with wave and tidal projects is that they do come at a cost. If you take the energy out of water, it drops the silt suspended within it. Which is why dams quite quicly lose capacity.

If you put barrages across major tidal rivers (e.g.the Severn), it will not only likely cause flooding upstream, but certainly destroy associated ecosystems.

Useful interim measure on 15:38 - Nov 11 with 2227 viewsGuthrum

Useful interim measure on 11:49 - Nov 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

Perhaps, if we're committed to building it, make HS2 large enough that fully-loaded lorries can be put on the trains, then abolish the M1/M40?

Wonder if the same could be done with human waste?

Useful interim measure on 15:53 - Nov 11 with 2216 viewsEdwardStone

Useful interim measure on 15:30 - Nov 11 by Guthrum

The problem with wave and tidal projects is that they do come at a cost. If you take the energy out of water, it drops the silt suspended within it. Which is why dams quite quicly lose capacity.

If you put barrages across major tidal rivers (e.g.the Severn), it will not only likely cause flooding upstream, but certainly destroy associated ecosystems.

Tidal lagoons are the answer apparently.....all of the energy but without the habitat destruction.

Still the problems with silting though

As for cost....well, the Atomic fantasy hasn't actually been cheap, has it?
Useful interim measure on 16:13 - Nov 11 with 2197 viewsghostofescobar

Useful interim measure on 11:27 - Nov 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

Like a massive Scalextric track?

GhostOfEscobar

Useful interim measure on 19:28 - Nov 11 with 2150 viewsRyorry

Useful interim measure on 15:30 - Nov 11 by Guthrum

I've always been much more of a fan of wave power as it seems less intrusive, but didn't know that it was affected by silting - or is it sand that's the problem?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024