Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen 17:40 - Nov 28 with 6975 viewsunstableblue

Lambert, hurst, Jewell never coached us well, mick coached us effectively but it was anti football and broke from the academy style and was short termist

We’ve been outplayed for years by lesser funded sides, who were better coached.

There is an Ipswich way, we demand passing, on the ground, attacking football with waves of pressure - there just is!!!! None of Marcus appointments have come even close

Coventry showed the league how to play last season - how the feck does a club in such disarray, get a style and manager we can only dream of at the moment

I must add that ward and Chambo were poor... judge once moved into a decent position did OK

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 20:56 - Nov 28 with 2132 viewsbackwaywhen

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 18:08 - Nov 28 by Harry_Palmer

Cook & Cowleys would both be a HUGE upgrade on Lambert and we'd be lucky to get either. i'm not sure if you have noticed but we are in the 3rd division and don't have a pot to p!ss in.

And Chambers was one of our better players today, Ward average but not terrible.

Still think Mcgavin was in our top 3 today , the lad is improving game by game , good future in the game me thinks.
"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:01 - Nov 28 with 2124 viewsitfcjoe

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 20:46 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

No I think Lambert has failed and should go, he has failed just like all of Marcus's appointments.

There was some minor improvement in passing and possession, and I think he had a plan this season which has been hampered by injury, but he just doesn't the technical acumen to be effective. I hoped he would progress us.

I know you like the Cowleys, but they simply won't win over Ipswich fans.

Mick won over Ipswich fans for 4 years before things went wrong

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:09 - Nov 28 with 2095 viewsunstableblue

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:01 - Nov 28 by itfcjoe

Mick won over Ipswich fans for 4 years before things went wrong

He really really did not win over Town fans for 4 years, in my view we lost swaths of support and credit in the local fan base.... but that's just my opinion, and is rather qualitative.

I think Mick was very likeable and did a lot of good, not least keeping us up and the play-off push (albeit we were understaffed and massively outcoached against our Norfolk cousins). But the choruses of 'Mick McCarthy your football of sh!t' was large scale, and was had been building over two seasons. Too many departing fans and season ticket cancellations referenced Mick's style of football. And the only thing of sense that Paul Hurst said in his reign was - "this bunch of players have had passing and movement coached out of them (sic)"

With regard your Cowley suggestions I would say my good friend who is a Hudds fan rated them, and there was a general consensus that their sacking was ridiculous given they had kept them up.

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:13 - Nov 28 with 2081 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:09 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

He really really did not win over Town fans for 4 years, in my view we lost swaths of support and credit in the local fan base.... but that's just my opinion, and is rather qualitative.

I think Mick was very likeable and did a lot of good, not least keeping us up and the play-off push (albeit we were understaffed and massively outcoached against our Norfolk cousins). But the choruses of 'Mick McCarthy your football of sh!t' was large scale, and was had been building over two seasons. Too many departing fans and season ticket cancellations referenced Mick's style of football. And the only thing of sense that Paul Hurst said in his reign was - "this bunch of players have had passing and movement coached out of them (sic)"

With regard your Cowley suggestions I would say my good friend who is a Hudds fan rated them, and there was a general consensus that their sacking was ridiculous given they had kept them up.

We had a higher average attendance in McCarthy’s 4th season than we did in the season prior to his arrival, so he clearly did win over the fanbase for 4 years

But if Paul Hurst was critical then I guess he must be rubbish, what a man to listen to eh

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 21:13 - Nov 28 with 2077 viewsunstableblue

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 18:46 - Nov 28 by BlueBadger

I think the OP somehow still thinks that because he tap around aimlessly at the back, we're a passing and 'technical' team still.

completely agree it was waaaaaaaaay too aimless... but I guess at least we were trying to pass.

we're clearly not technical enough! Bielsa's Leeds are the true realisation of technical football, if you're still stuggling with that term. If we could get a manager who had 15% of his technique and progressive thinking we'd be on the right path. I just worry Cook and Cowley's are too close to Mick's approach...and we need to get as far away from that as possible.

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:14 - Nov 28 with 2069 viewsitfcjoe

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:09 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

I haven't heard a manager supported like Mick was through 2012-2015 in a long time - in 2015 especially the fan base was as united as it has been since Burley - selling out all the London games, winning them all, great home record. That it went wrong after doesn't change that

Style of football is an easy criticism, we played better stuff under Mick in the main than the 2 managers after him have managed - the difference is he was pragmatic and when we were underfunded he did what he needed to do to get points. WIth this squad in this league we'd be 442 and attacking.

Cowley's are good managers, and will win more games - no one can tell me that the last 10 gaes have been enjoyable? we've put together a couple of good halves

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 21:17 - Nov 28 with 2047 viewsMrTown

Cowleys. Think Cook will go Champ now.

Cowleys would do a sterling job here I’m convinced.

Did an amazing job at Lincoln. Get stick for going direct, but when you go into a club in non league with a 6ft 5 target man in Matt Rhead for me it’s good management to use your resources properly. Turned that club around 180, from the bottom of the barrel to League 1, quite incredible.

Think the long ball tag is overstated because as they moved through the leagues and could recruit better quality the football by all accounts changed with it.

They are sticklers for detail, learners and developers, I really like them, spent a lot of time in the week doing research on them.

They will coach and organise us until the cows come home, and these players right now are playing semi pro standard football, and need to be coached properly, then you can really find out who’s good enough or not.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 21:19 - Nov 28 with 2036 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 21:13 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

completely agree it was waaaaaaaaay too aimless... but I guess at least we were trying to pass.

we're clearly not technical enough! Bielsa's Leeds are the true realisation of technical football, if you're still stuggling with that term. If we could get a manager who had 15% of his technique and progressive thinking we'd be on the right path. I just worry Cook and Cowley's are too close to Mick's approach...and we need to get as far away from that as possible.

Speaking of us being technical, I never did get an answer on this as you were too busy doing your little toddler feet stamping act, any chance of one now?

'Technical' Explained (Again!) by C_HealyIsAPleasure 6 Sep 2020 19:11
Which of those 3 do you think best describes our current approach? As we’re certainly not a physical side anymore and have clearly been lacking on the mental side for some time

[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 21:20]

Login to get fewer ads

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:27 - Nov 28 with 2004 viewsunstableblue

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:13 - Nov 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

We had a higher average attendance in McCarthy’s 4th season than we did in the season prior to his arrival, so he clearly did win over the fanbase for 4 years

But if Paul Hurst was critical then I guess he must be rubbish, what a man to listen to eh

Errrrr..... is that true? (see below)

2005/06: 24,251. Finished: 15th

2006/07: 22,444. Finished: 14th

2007/08: 21,934. Finished: 8th

2008/09: 20,960. Finished: 9th

2009/10: 20,840. Finished: 15th

2010/11: 19,614. Finished: 13th

2011/12: 18,266. Finished: 15th

2012/13: 17,526. Finished: 14th - Mick arrives

2013/14: 16,654. Finished: 9th

2014/15: 19,605. Finished: 6th

2015/16: 18,989. Finished: 7th

2017/18 16,272. Finished: 12th - Mick's last season

2018/19 17,760. Finished: RELEGATION CACK!

We got more fans through the gates watching a Hurst and Lambert 'bounce' than Mick's 'style' of football

Anyway - the point is Mick lost fans, he made us play 'sh!t football', but he kept us up. we need someone who will get us up, and bring fans back - can Marcus actually appoint someone like that?

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:30 - Nov 28 with 1995 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:27 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

Errrrr..... is that true? (see below)

2005/06: 24,251. Finished: 15th

2006/07: 22,444. Finished: 14th

2007/08: 21,934. Finished: 8th

2008/09: 20,960. Finished: 9th

2009/10: 20,840. Finished: 15th

2010/11: 19,614. Finished: 13th

2011/12: 18,266. Finished: 15th

2012/13: 17,526. Finished: 14th - Mick arrives

2013/14: 16,654. Finished: 9th

2014/15: 19,605. Finished: 6th

2015/16: 18,989. Finished: 7th

2017/18 16,272. Finished: 12th - Mick's last season

2018/19 17,760. Finished: RELEGATION CACK!

We got more fans through the gates watching a Hurst and Lambert 'bounce' than Mick's 'style' of football

Anyway - the point is Mick lost fans, he made us play 'sh!t football', but he kept us up. we need someone who will get us up, and bring fans back - can Marcus actually appoint someone like that?

Yes - we had 18,266 average attendance the year before McCarthy arrived and 18,989 the 4th season he was here. 18,989 is a bigger number than 18,266 (and indeed larger than the ‘bounce’ attendance after he departed, FWIW)
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 21:30]

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:18 - Nov 28 with 1939 viewsjudespiveyg

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 21:30 - Nov 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes - we had 18,266 average attendance the year before McCarthy arrived and 18,989 the 4th season he was here. 18,989 is a bigger number than 18,266 (and indeed larger than the ‘bounce’ attendance after he departed, FWIW)
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 21:30]

Not really looking to take sides here but there are far better arguments in favour of McCarthy than your using of crowd size. What you've said is correct but it doesn't really make that much of a point. Other than the year we made the playoffs the crowds dropped every single season he was here. Given that in 12/13 we averaged 17500 and in 17/18 we averaged 16200 I don't think it's a totally unfair argument to say he lost fans.

I've always assumed it was the (seemingly) sub-10000 crowds in early 2018 that made Evans decide to not renew McCarthy's contract rather than the popular belief that the manager was hounded out. I think Evans as a businessman is far more likely to be swayed by the lost revenue of those who stayed away than the noises of a vocal view.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 22:23 - Nov 28 with 1923 viewsPlums

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 18:19 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

I don't understand why anyone would want Cowley, he's basically the league one Pulis. I've only been following Ipswich for 11 years and I've already seen enough route one football to last a lifetime.
At the end of the day professional football wouldn't exist without fans, and if the football wasn't entertaining there wouldn't be fans in the first place. We need a manager, regardless of League and situation, who tries to get his teams playing passing, attacking football. Entertainment matters.

You do realise that the Cowleys packed Lincoln’s stadium to the rafters week after week don’t you? Tickets were like hen’s teeth when they were in charge. They brought 5k to PR for a cup tie FFS - and it wasn’t us they came to see!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:23 - Nov 28 with 1924 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:18 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

Not really looking to take sides here but there are far better arguments in favour of McCarthy than your using of crowd size. What you've said is correct but it doesn't really make that much of a point. Other than the year we made the playoffs the crowds dropped every single season he was here. Given that in 12/13 we averaged 17500 and in 17/18 we averaged 16200 I don't think it's a totally unfair argument to say he lost fans.

I've always assumed it was the (seemingly) sub-10000 crowds in early 2018 that made Evans decide to not renew McCarthy's contract rather than the popular belief that the manager was hounded out. I think Evans as a businessman is far more likely to be swayed by the lost revenue of those who stayed away than the noises of a vocal view.

You’re arguing a completely different point to the one that is being discussed. itfcjoe commented that Mick was supported for 4 years - which he was, as the fact our average attendance was higher in his 4th season than before he arrived illustrates

However, on the point you made I would also add that whilst he did indeed lose fans by the end, that drop over a 5 year period was much smaller than the rate at which we had been losing fans beforehand (and indeed since)

they definitely would.. 100% on 22:28 - Nov 28 with 1909 viewsSteve_M

they definitely would.. 100% on 20:48 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

.. but the solution for this club? another Mick type mistake, possibly?

I mean another manager as successful as MM here would be dreadful wouldn’t it?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:34 - Nov 28 with 1903 viewsjudespiveyg

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:23 - Nov 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’re arguing a completely different point to the one that is being discussed. itfcjoe commented that Mick was supported for 4 years - which he was, as the fact our average attendance was higher in his 4th season than before he arrived illustrates

However, on the point you made I would also add that whilst he did indeed lose fans by the end, that drop over a 5 year period was much smaller than the rate at which we had been losing fans beforehand (and indeed since)

Ah hadn't noticed that, apologies.
Although I'd personally say it was more like two years he was widely supported and brought back fans, Autumn 2014 to spring 2016. The average attendance dropped again in 12/13 and 13/14 (not pinning this on McCarthy as he did a decent job those two seasons). I remember him having his doubters in 13/14 especially, there were grumbles of an over-defensive style even in 2013. (the Skuse and Hyam midfield partnership being particularly unpopular). If I recall correctly we only had one 20000 crowd that season, which seems surprising given we were semi-challenging for the play-offs.

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 23:19 - Nov 28 with 1831 viewsBLUEGOLD

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 18:52 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

I don't understand why it's this season or bust though? Obviously I'd be very disappointed not to get promoted, but what's to suggest we wouldn't just get promoted next season. A load of players are out of contract, but in all honesty the only one that will really hurt us is losing Dozzell (to a point Edwards and Jackson). Downes and Woolfenden (our best players not named Andre Dozzell) are both contracted for a few years yet so we wouldn't be in that terrible a position if we weren't to go up, surely?

The salary cap is the answer.

Any player who was contracted to the club when the cap was introduced has a maximum wage for cap purposes of £113,000 per year.

So if Player A has 2 years left on a contract at £5k per week, or £260,000 per year, the club only counts £113,000 of the wages towards the cap.

If they leave and a new player is signed, the full wage of the new player counts.

Transfer fees are irrelevant.

If we sold Flynn Downes for £3M our salary cap stays the same.

We have lots of players earning a lot more than the £113k figure and won’t be able to replace them for the same salary, unless we are taking cheap players from leagues below.

In short, we will lose our better players when their contracts are up unless they are happy to take large wage cuts.

Lambert out
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 23:27 - Nov 28 with 1808 viewsjudespiveyg

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 23:19 - Nov 28 by BLUEGOLD

The salary cap is the answer.

Any player who was contracted to the club when the cap was introduced has a maximum wage for cap purposes of £113,000 per year.

So if Player A has 2 years left on a contract at £5k per week, or £260,000 per year, the club only counts £113,000 of the wages towards the cap.

If they leave and a new player is signed, the full wage of the new player counts.

Transfer fees are irrelevant.

If we sold Flynn Downes for £3M our salary cap stays the same.

We have lots of players earning a lot more than the £113k figure and won’t be able to replace them for the same salary, unless we are taking cheap players from leagues below.

In short, we will lose our better players when their contracts are up unless they are happy to take large wage cuts.

Lambert out

My point is though, if we have Downes until 2023 and Woolfenden until 2024, and their salary only goes against the cap as £113,000 per year, why couldn't we just hold onto them to mount a promotion challenge in future seasons. It's more use to us to keep them here if we can't really use their transfer fees.

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 23:32 - Nov 28 with 1793 viewsBLUEGOLD

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 23:27 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

My point is though, if we have Downes until 2023 and Woolfenden until 2024, and their salary only goes against the cap as £113,000 per year, why couldn't we just hold onto them to mount a promotion challenge in future seasons. It's more use to us to keep them here if we can't really use their transfer fees.

Because ME would like some cash to offset his losses I guess and they will want to play at a higher level.

That’s why we need to go up this year, or we could be in this league for a while as the teams coming down will have the facility to use the transition when we can’t so can keep their higher paid, and presumably, better players.

A cap covering Sunderland and Rochdale is mental, particularly as you could sell a player like Posh did with Toney for £8M and you can’t invest any of that in player wages.
"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 00:00 - Nov 29 with 1771 viewsunstableblue

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:34 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

Although I'd personally say it was more like two years he was widely supported and brought back fans, Autumn 2014 to spring 2016. The average attendance dropped again in 12/13 and 13/14 (not pinning this on McCarthy as he did a decent job those two seasons). I remember him having his doubters in 13/14 especially, there were grumbles of an over-defensive style even in 2013. (the Skuse and Hyam midfield partnership being particularly unpopular). If I recall correctly we only had one 20000 crowd that season, which seems surprising given we were semi-challenging for the play-offs.

You're quite correct. Albeit I am convinced that even in his 'popular' seasons there were times when lesser teams came and outpassed us and MANY fans left Portman Road, thinking 'did I enjoy that'

I always recall two old dears who are neighbours of my mum, classic season ticket holders since Sir Bobby - tartan blankets! They gave their season tickets up... just couldn't watch the McCarthy style.

This is a football message board of opinions, I completely get those who rabidly support Mick, and I think they rightly are driven by results,not underlying progress. Its completely correct to say we were better off mid table championship than where we are now.

But its all in the past now.... no one can say that Mick's reign overall was a sucess - in part to a lack of transfer funding -just like all of Marcus'appointments.

Marcus needs to FINALLY get the right man.... the Dyche, the Robbins, the Howe.... and make us a well coached and entertaining team

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 07:12 - Nov 29 with 1723 viewsitfcjoe

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 00:00 - Nov 29 by unstableblue

You're quite correct. Albeit I am convinced that even in his 'popular' seasons there were times when lesser teams came and outpassed us and MANY fans left Portman Road, thinking 'did I enjoy that'

I always recall two old dears who are neighbours of my mum, classic season ticket holders since Sir Bobby - tartan blankets! They gave their season tickets up... just couldn't watch the McCarthy style.

This is a football message board of opinions, I completely get those who rabidly support Mick, and I think they rightly are driven by results,not underlying progress. Its completely correct to say we were better off mid table championship than where we are now.

But its all in the past now.... no one can say that Mick's reign overall was a sucess - in part to a lack of transfer funding -just like all of Marcus'appointments.

Marcus needs to FINALLY get the right man.... the Dyche, the Robbins, the Howe.... and make us a well coached and entertaining team

Sean Dyche?! Great manager but how are Burnley. An entertaining team or in any way comparable to a ‘technical’ team?!

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 07:48 - Nov 29 with 1697 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:34 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

The average attendance actually rose for McCarthy’s part of 2012/13. The 7 games before he arrived the average attendance was 16,953 (which includes the traditionally inflated 1st game at 19k), whilst for the remaining 16 we averaged 17,777

The drop the following season was also exacerbated by us playing a home FA Cup game v lower league opposition which didn’t happen the season before - with a 13k attendance. Without this there was still a small drop seemingly caused by apathy at the start of the season - come the second half of the season we had our 5 biggest crowds

So basically the crowds were up from 2012-2016 bar a very brief drop at the start of 2013/14 (which can probably be put down to general apathy at the club rather than McCarthy given how long he’d been in the job, and the fact those fans returned in droves as the season progressed). So yes, I think it is accurate to say he energised the fanbase for 4 years

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 07:59 - Nov 29 with 1689 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 00:00 - Nov 29 by unstableblue

He’s not correct though, if you look at the actual attendance figures, which are probably a better gauge than basing your view on 2 random old ladies

The rest of your post isn’t really relevant to the point about Mick energising the fanbase for 4 years, but FWIW I think McCarthy’s reign is looking a bigger success with every day that has passed since, especially given the budget he was working under compared to the rest of the division

As for the 3 managers listed, the best of them has a playing style more akin to McCarthy than the technical bobbins you always bleat on about so err, what?!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 8:00]

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 09:06 - Nov 29 with 1656 viewsHarry_Palmer

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 21:13 - Nov 28 by unstableblue

Cook has always played expansive passing football and the Cowley's have not always played direct football. Probably best to do a little research on Managers before deciding they are not for us.
"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 09:30 - Nov 29 with 1636 viewsBloomBlue

But on the flip side MM kept us up even if the fans were singing your football is shlt.
Crowley's sacking at Huddersfield (depending on which story you believe) was the clubs owners thought his style was shlt and wanted a more Leeds style.

Now I don't care too much about style at the moment, if a club is winning fans dont care about style.

I think people need to stop looking 2-3 years ahead we need to get in a manager who will get us promoted. Get in Cowley even if it's hoof football get promoted and we can sack him once we get into the Champ.
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 12:47 - Nov 29 with 1582 viewsSimonds92

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 09:06 - Nov 29 by Harry_Palmer

Cook has always played expansive passing football and the Cowley's have not always played direct football. Probably best to do a little research on Managers before deciding they are not for us.

Why were the Cowleys relieved of their duties by Huddersfield despite very impressive results? The owners wanted to take a long term view of a way in which they feel the club can progress. This is exactly what the OP is stating. Under Evans its constantly been short term approaches to problems which have left us in a progressively worse position. He's correctly looking for a way in which we can have a systematic long term approach that would be successful This would mean a first team playing in a way which is in line with the youth team and actually has an identity. I dont think anyone can argue we have had an identity since probably Magilton. I remember Jermaine Jenas commenting on us as we were being outplayed by Lincoln saying he had no idea what we were trying to do and we had no patterns of play, and that's what it's been like for years. If we can find a manager to do that it really should play to our strengths with our current squad. The only way we will have success is by producing young players because we certainly wont be buying our way up the divisions. The Cowleys imo are not the right fit for us. Cook may possibly be, i seem to remember Wigan playing some decent football when promoted.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024