Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen 17:40 - Nov 28 with 6977 viewsunstableblue

Lambert, hurst, Jewell never coached us well, mick coached us effectively but it was anti football and broke from the academy style and was short termist

We’ve been outplayed for years by lesser funded sides, who were better coached.

There is an Ipswich way, we demand passing, on the ground, attacking football with waves of pressure - there just is!!!! None of Marcus appointments have come even close

Coventry showed the league how to play last season - how the feck does a club in such disarray, get a style and manager we can only dream of at the moment

I must add that ward and Chambo were poor... judge once moved into a decent position did OK

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 12:55 - Nov 29 with 1248 viewsMrTown

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 12:47 - Nov 29 by Simonds92

Why were the Cowleys relieved of their duties by Huddersfield despite very impressive results? The owners wanted to take a long term view of a way in which they feel the club can progress. This is exactly what the OP is stating. Under Evans its constantly been short term approaches to problems which have left us in a progressively worse position. He's correctly looking for a way in which we can have a systematic long term approach that would be successful This would mean a first team playing in a way which is in line with the youth team and actually has an identity. I dont think anyone can argue we have had an identity since probably Magilton. I remember Jermaine Jenas commenting on us as we were being outplayed by Lincoln saying he had no idea what we were trying to do and we had no patterns of play, and that's what it's been like for years. If we can find a manager to do that it really should play to our strengths with our current squad. The only way we will have success is by producing young players because we certainly wont be buying our way up the divisions. The Cowleys imo are not the right fit for us. Cook may possibly be, i seem to remember Wigan playing some decent football when promoted.

Cowleys were relieved as Huddersfield wanted to go down a different long route. Good luck to them, sitting 13th in Championship right now so haven’t really ripped it up under Bielsas old assistant.

That apples and pears anyway, we are talking a League 1 side here anyway, we need to be organised, resolute, disciplined, structure, everything we really aren’t right now.

Cowleys project at Lincoln at the start is very similar to where we are right now, albeit a few leagues higher.

Would be a perfect fit, I can’t really think of any other options that would be as good of a shout.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 12:55]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 13:07 - Nov 29 with 1224 viewsMrTown

Coventry weren’t special last year by the way. Just incredibly organised in there 5-2-2-1.

It is all well and good saying this passing football needs to be implemented. Do we have the quality of player realistically in League 1 to do that and get promoted over the course of a season playing that way.

Before we overcomplicate and try to bring this fluid football style, why don’t we worry about keeping things simple and being organised and have a solid structure to build foundations in first and foremost.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 14:06 - Nov 29 with 1198 viewsbrushhand

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 18:30 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

I'm sorry but playing route one football will be equally boring to me if we're in the Championship or in League One. Not even trying to play entertaining football is an insult to the paying fans (without whom professional football wouldn't exist)

i have watched ipswich for years, in that time ive seen all types of football being given all types of labels.
don't you think ipswich played long balls upfield to mariner or brazil.
what ive never seen before though, is a preference to put your back four or goalkeeper under such pressure, due to a high risk passing game, which enables the opposition to win the ball back in or around your own penalty box.
this tactic is made worse by the fact they won't attempt the same risky pass anywhere in the oppositions final third,this also includes throw ins or freekicks.
i believe cowley wants his team to attempt to get the ball forward and the team up the pitch as quickly and effectively as possible.
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 14:16 - Nov 29 with 1184 viewsitfcjoe

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 14:06 - Nov 29 by brushhand

i have watched ipswich for years, in that time ive seen all types of football being given all types of labels.
don't you think ipswich played long balls upfield to mariner or brazil.
what ive never seen before though, is a preference to put your back four or goalkeeper under such pressure, due to a high risk passing game, which enables the opposition to win the ball back in or around your own penalty box.
this tactic is made worse by the fact they won't attempt the same risky pass anywhere in the oppositions final third,this also includes throw ins or freekicks.
i believe cowley wants his team to attempt to get the ball forward and the team up the pitch as quickly and effectively as possible.

We played good football under Burlwy, but were direct a lot. It was about having guys who were comfortable on the football but would play the right pass - whether that was short or long.

Too young for Robson but sounds the same

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 14:24 - Nov 29 with 1174 viewsbrushhand

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 14:16 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

We played good football under Burlwy, but were direct a lot. It was about having guys who were comfortable on the football but would play the right pass - whether that was short or long.

i just think hes obsessed by possession, the players don't seem to be enjoying playing this way.
butcher osman beattie hunter where pre passback law change, but i can't see robson or burley adopting this approach.
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 15:12 - Nov 29 with 1158 viewshunters_headers

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 14:16 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

We used to mix it up with a short & long game, with players like Whymark, Johnson & Mariner up top. But the calibre of players we had were in a different class. We changed to a more of a passing game with the likes of Gates, Murhen & Thijssen brilliant with the ball at their feet. The right ball is always the best option whether it is long or short!
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 15:15 - Nov 29 with 1154 viewsitfcjoe

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 15:12 - Nov 29 by hunters_headers

We used to mix it up with a short & long game, with players like Whymark, Johnson & Mariner up top. But the calibre of players we had were in a different class. We changed to a more of a passing game with the likes of Gates, Murhen & Thijssen brilliant with the ball at their feet. The right ball is always the best option whether it is long or short!

Sounds like what Mills was saying, and after 700 games under Robson not hard to work out where he got that philosophy about re the right ball.

Football is supposed to be entertaining, and with the attempt to score more goals than the opposition

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 21:12 - Nov 29 with 1106 viewshunters_headers

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 15:15 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

Sounds like what Mills was saying, and after 700 games under Robson not hard to work out where he got that philosophy about re the right ball.

Football is supposed to be entertaining, and with the attempt to score more goals than the opposition

I remember talking to John Lyall at the Copdock, not long after his appointment replacing John Duncan, I said that it will be good to get back to playing the Ipswich way instead of this long ball game that we had been playing. He said there is no such thing as a long ball, only the right ball, whether it was long or short! A true gentleman of the game
Login to get fewer ads

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 22:36 - Nov 29 with 1070 viewsWicklowBlue

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 21:12 - Nov 29 by hunters_headers

I remember talking to John Lyall at the Copdock, not long after his appointment replacing John Duncan, I said that it will be good to get back to playing the Ipswich way instead of this long ball game that we had been playing. He said there is no such thing as a long ball, only the right ball, whether it was long or short! A true gentleman of the game

This! Anyone talking about playing a certain style is misguided. A manager should be setting a team up to play to its strengths no style is right or wrong it's sport, you have to find a way to score goals and avoid conceding more than you score. It's about giving the players confidence and structure on how they can win the game and counter the opposition.

Imho I don't think our current squad have any faith in what the manager is trying to achieve. Hence the lack of belief when playing.
"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:46 - Nov 29 with 1048 viewsHerbivore

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:18 - Nov 28 by judespiveyg

Not really looking to take sides here but there are far better arguments in favour of McCarthy than your using of crowd size. What you've said is correct but it doesn't really make that much of a point. Other than the year we made the playoffs the crowds dropped every single season he was here. Given that in 12/13 we averaged 17500 and in 17/18 we averaged 16200 I don't think it's a totally unfair argument to say he lost fans.

I've always assumed it was the (seemingly) sub-10000 crowds in early 2018 that made Evans decide to not renew McCarthy's contract rather than the popular belief that the manager was hounded out. I think Evans as a businessman is far more likely to be swayed by the lost revenue of those who stayed away than the noises of a vocal view.

Mick's 5 years in charge saw us lose fewer fans than we lost in the 5 years pre-Mick or indeed in the 5 years prior to that. Looking at your figures, from Mick's first full season in charge to the season he left we lost fewer than 400 fans.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:06 - Nov 29 with 1031 viewsjudespiveyg

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 22:46 - Nov 29 by Herbivore

Mick's 5 years in charge saw us lose fewer fans than we lost in the 5 years pre-Mick or indeed in the 5 years prior to that. Looking at your figures, from Mick's first full season in charge to the season he left we lost fewer than 400 fans.

Okay? Losing fewer fans is still losing fans. Other than the 2014-15 the average crowd went down by at least 500 every season. Not an attack on the manager at the time but kind of points out that the claim made earlier that McCarthy brought back fans for his first four years isn't in my opinion a factual statement, at most Autumn 2014 to Spring 2016 fit that description.

2013-14 sticks out to me, there was some (slightly unfair) criticism of an over defensive style even then, e.g. Skuse and Hyam partnership. I think against Blackburn we had our first sub-15000 crowd since the 90s.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:09 - Nov 29 with 1023 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:06 - Nov 29 by judespiveyg

Okay? Losing fewer fans is still losing fans. Other than the 2014-15 the average crowd went down by at least 500 every season. Not an attack on the manager at the time but kind of points out that the claim made earlier that McCarthy brought back fans for his first four years isn't in my opinion a factual statement, at most Autumn 2014 to Spring 2016 fit that description.

2013-14 sticks out to me, there was some (slightly unfair) criticism of an over defensive style even then, e.g. Skuse and Hyam partnership. I think against Blackburn we had our first sub-15000 crowd since the 90s.

It was suggested that Mick galvanised the fanbase for 4 years as our attendance was higher at that point than it was before he arrived

However as per my other post your point that it was only Aug 14 to Spring 16 is incorrect - as he lifted the attendance considerably in the season he joined and the drop in the following season can mostly be attributed to playing a cup game at home against lower league opposition which didn’t happen the season prior. Indeed by the end of the season we were averaging much higher - 19k+ in the last 3 games of the season
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 23:12]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:20 - Nov 29 with 996 viewsjudespiveyg

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:09 - Nov 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It was suggested that Mick galvanised the fanbase for 4 years as our attendance was higher at that point than it was before he arrived

However as per my other post your point that it was only Aug 14 to Spring 16 is incorrect - as he lifted the attendance considerably in the season he joined and the drop in the following season can mostly be attributed to playing a cup game at home against lower league opposition which didn’t happen the season prior. Indeed by the end of the season we were averaging much higher - 19k+ in the last 3 games of the season
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 23:12]

Jewell in 12/13 - 16900 (This includes the League Cup against Bristol Rovers right?)
McCarthy in 13/14- 16600

I don't really see the dropping crowds as a mark against the manager until 16/17 and he definitely 'galvanised' a bit that year, but for me it's only a half truth to say the fans were truly united and brought back until a couple of years into his reign.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 23:21]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:33 - Nov 29 with 983 viewsHerbivore

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:06 - Nov 29 by judespiveyg

When clubs are hanging around in the same division they tend to lose fans. Look at how many fans were lost during 5 years in the Championship prior the 5 years Mick was here. We lost an awful lot more fans during that period, and the same goes for the 5 years in the Championship prior to that too. Attendances held up well over Mick's time here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 06:22 - Nov 30 with 939 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"None of Marcus appointments have come even close" on 23:20 - Nov 29 by judespiveyg

Jewell in 12/13 - 16900 (This includes the League Cup against Bristol Rovers right?)
McCarthy in 13/14- 16600

I don't really see the dropping crowds as a mark against the manager until 16/17 and he definitely 'galvanised' a bit that year, but for me it's only a half truth to say the fans were truly united and brought back until a couple of years into his reign.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 23:21]

That Jewell 2012/13 figure is league only (including the Sheff Wed game managed by Hutchings). If you include Bristol Rovers it averages out at 15,915

Our average home league attendance in 2013/14 was 17,111, or 16,962 with the Preston cup game included

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We just need to get out of this league.... on 11:10 - Nov 30 with 890 viewsglasso

We just need to get out of this league.... on 18:15 - Nov 28 by Bloots

....and back into the Championship.

It's pointless planning for the future and looking at long terms plans will we are playing in a pub league.

Cowley or Cook would both be upgrades on the tosser we currently have.

It's not rocket science.

Thing is, when DO you reset the club and start to put foundations in place? This year we should play any old type of football as long as we get promoted. Next year, we serve up some boring hoof ball as long as it keeps us in the league. The year after, terrible football as long as we make the playoffs.

There's never a 'good' time to do it. But surely while we're in this league where - let's be realistic - we're not likely to get relegated as things stand, we can afford to reset and find the 'Ipswich way' again, BEFORE we start going up through the leagues.

We had boring football that got reasonably good results before, but we kicked off and got the manager sacked because we wanted entertaining football. Now, a few years on, we're begging to be back to the McCarthy years again. It'd be three or four years completely wasted to just be back where we were again.
Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 11:14 - Nov 30 with 887 viewsTieDyedIn95

Cook could do better than us, that's the problem with him although I agree on the Cowley's, they are about 3 years past relevance and I'm not sure they would be able to take on a club in our situation.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 11:20 - Nov 30 with 878 viewstractorboy1978

Cook and Cowleys not right for us... another mistake waiting to happen on 11:14 - Nov 30 by TieDyedIn95

Cook could do better than us, that's the problem with him although I agree on the Cowley's, they are about 3 years past relevance and I'm not sure they would be able to take on a club in our situation.

Huddersfield hadn't won a game in about 10 months.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024