Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? 16:41 - Dec 2 with 2028 viewsBent_double

Genuine question, I mean it's the pfizer/Biontech one, not one developed by British companies, so why do we get to be the first to approve it's use?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:42 - Dec 2 with 1465 viewsGeoffSentence

Emergency process for approving it. The EU say we have cut some corners.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-eu-idUSKBN28C1B9

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:43 - Dec 2 with 1455 viewsStokieBlue

Why does the nationality of the development companies matter? Each country has to go through their own process.

SB
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 16:43]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:44 - Dec 2 with 1447 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:42 - Dec 2 by GeoffSentence

Emergency process for approving it. The EU say we have cut some corners.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-eu-idUSKBN28C1B9

Is this a benefit of brexit?
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:45 - Dec 2 with 1428 viewshype313

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:44 - Dec 2 by woiii

Nope.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:47 - Dec 2 with 1402 viewsBent_double

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:43 - Dec 2 by StokieBlue

Why does the nationality of the development companies matter? Each country has to go through their own process.

SB
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 16:43]

It doesn't, but I'm just surprised that's all. It's been said that regulators have been working closely with the teams developing vaccines, which is why they have been able to approve this one so quickly, was that just UK regulators?

Doesn't bother me, just intrigued, that's all.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:48 - Dec 2 with 1397 viewsBlueBadger

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:44 - Dec 2 by woiii

In a word, no, given that we're still working under EU regulations for medicines as part of the transition period. The regulations allow for member states to make emergency exceptions.

Almost as if that talk of 'we don't want foreigners telling us what to do' was a brazen lie designed to appeal to thick xenophobes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:56 - Dec 2 with 1355 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:48 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

In a word, no, given that we're still working under EU regulations for medicines as part of the transition period. The regulations allow for member states to make emergency exceptions.

Almost as if that talk of 'we don't want foreigners telling us what to do' was a brazen lie designed to appeal to thick xenophobes.

I just googled this to see the truth of the matter. It's true that the vaccine can be delivered under the EU agreement, but Hancocks claim that he made a change to the law (in October) to enable that is also true.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 16:57]
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:58 - Dec 2 with 1341 viewsBlueBadger

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:56 - Dec 2 by woiii

I just googled this to see the truth of the matter. It's true that the vaccine can be delivered under the EU agreement, but Hancocks claim that he made a change to the law (in October) to enable that is also true.

[citation needed]

Both number 10 and the MHRA are saying it's b0llocks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/02/hancock-brexit-helped-uk-to-speedy
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 17:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:59 - Dec 2 with 1338 viewsMattinLondon

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:56 - Dec 2 by woiii

Er, sorry to be thick. So under the EU agreement the drug can be delivered but Hancock made a change to the law so that this could happen as well.

Isn’t that adding more red tape?
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:24 - Dec 2 with 1276 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:59 - Dec 2 by MattinLondon

Er, sorry to be thick. So under the EU agreement the drug can be delivered but Hancock made a change to the law so that this could happen as well.

Isn’t that adding more red tape?

The Department for Health has pointed to changes made to the Human Medicines Regulations 2012, which took effect on October 16, which “bolster existing powers that enable the MHRA to authorise temporary supply or any treatments vaccine to respond to a public health need”.
It adds: “This means that if a vaccine has been found to meet the safety, quality and effectiveness standards by the MHRA then vaccinations can begin without needing to wait for the European Medicines Agency who — up until the end of the transition period in 2021 — would have been the only body able to grant a licence.”
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:25 - Dec 2 with 1273 viewsfactual_blue

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 16:58 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

[citation needed]

Both number 10 and the MHRA are saying it's b0llocks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/02/hancock-brexit-helped-uk-to-speedy
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 17:04]

Wasn't matt halfwit being interviewed by rancid brexiteer julia hartley-brewer when he uttered this lie?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:25 - Dec 2 with 1266 viewsBlueBadger

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:24 - Dec 2 by woiii

The Department for Health has pointed to changes made to the Human Medicines Regulations 2012, which took effect on October 16, which “bolster existing powers that enable the MHRA to authorise temporary supply or any treatments vaccine to respond to a public health need”.
It adds: “This means that if a vaccine has been found to meet the safety, quality and effectiveness standards by the MHRA then vaccinations can begin without needing to wait for the European Medicines Agency who — up until the end of the transition period in 2021 — would have been the only body able to grant a licence.”

So, it can be fast-tracked as an emergency measure?

Like we could already do under existing regulations.

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:29 - Dec 2 with 1254 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:25 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

So, it can be fast-tracked as an emergency measure?

Like we could already do under existing regulations.

Ah so it was a lie. I'm a bit surprised that the EU doesn't stop any country from approving whatever drugs it wants to though.
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:32 - Dec 2 with 1239 viewsBlueBadger

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:29 - Dec 2 by woiii

Ah so it was a lie. I'm a bit surprised that the EU doesn't stop any country from approving whatever drugs it wants to though.

It's almost as if Brexiteers are habitual liars seeking to feather their own nests on the back of people's naivety and xenophobia.

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:44 - Dec 2 with 1211 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:32 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

It's almost as if Brexiteers are habitual liars seeking to feather their own nests on the back of people's naivety and xenophobia.

I'm still mystified as to what this regulation change was he thinks is key to the vaccine rollout. If I get time i'll look at it.

edit: I think it was you who I mentioned ARM to the other week. If Boris & Co really wanted to use brexit deregulation to stimulate the economy then keeping ARM in the UK should have been priority number 1
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 17:46]
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:45 - Dec 2 with 1205 viewsSwansea_Blue

Depends on the level of assurances we want through our regulators. Maybe a more rapid evaluation of a smaller dataset is appropriate (UK), or maybe the more detailed analysis is warranted (EU).

I don't know whether our shortened assessment is sufficient. If it turns out to be, then yes in this case it will have been a benefit. If it turns out it isn't sufficient and hasn't picked up issues, then no it won't have been a benefit. We won't know for some time probably, not that that will stop this turning into another chapter of the Brexit culture war.

Edit - I see we could have done this all along under the emergency measures. So my answer above is to a slightly different question - is our shortened approach better than the more detailed assessment being taken by the EU? Only time will tell.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 17:49]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:49 - Dec 2 with 1186 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:45 - Dec 2 by Swansea_Blue

Depends on the level of assurances we want through our regulators. Maybe a more rapid evaluation of a smaller dataset is appropriate (UK), or maybe the more detailed analysis is warranted (EU).

I don't know whether our shortened assessment is sufficient. If it turns out to be, then yes in this case it will have been a benefit. If it turns out it isn't sufficient and hasn't picked up issues, then no it won't have been a benefit. We won't know for some time probably, not that that will stop this turning into another chapter of the Brexit culture war.

Edit - I see we could have done this all along under the emergency measures. So my answer above is to a slightly different question - is our shortened approach better than the more detailed assessment being taken by the EU? Only time will tell.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 17:49]

Christ, it's not going to work is it? We're going to spend billions vaccinating everyone, find out it doesn't work very well, then spend billions vaccinating everyone again.
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:51 - Dec 2 with 1176 viewsStokieBlue

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:49 - Dec 2 by woiii

Christ, it's not going to work is it? We're going to spend billions vaccinating everyone, find out it doesn't work very well, then spend billions vaccinating everyone again.

No idea how you got that from what he posted.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:54 - Dec 2 with 1166 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:51 - Dec 2 by StokieBlue

No idea how you got that from what he posted.

SB

Just drawing a line from tory incompetence to an accelerated vaccine schedule to it not working.

I wasn't being totally serious
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:54 - Dec 2 with 1166 viewsSwansea_Blue

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:49 - Dec 2 by woiii

Who knows. Are we satisfied that our shorter assessment is appropriate? (That's a question for the appropriate professionals). Has it picked up any cases where maybe the vaccine won't work, for example. Or any side effects that take longer to manifest themselves that we haven't seen before, etc?

I'd like to think our regulation agency knows what it's doing. And it's not exactly unheard of for the EU to go overboard on red tape and regulation. I'm not particularly worried about it. Besides, we get to test it on all the oldies first .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:56 - Dec 2 with 1155 viewswoiii

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:54 - Dec 2 by Swansea_Blue

Who knows. Are we satisfied that our shorter assessment is appropriate? (That's a question for the appropriate professionals). Has it picked up any cases where maybe the vaccine won't work, for example. Or any side effects that take longer to manifest themselves that we haven't seen before, etc?

I'd like to think our regulation agency knows what it's doing. And it's not exactly unheard of for the EU to go overboard on red tape and regulation. I'm not particularly worried about it. Besides, we get to test it on all the oldies first .

That's true. Old people first and if they don't die we can give it important people like health professionals
How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 18:04 - Dec 2 with 1118 viewsBlueBadger

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 17:56 - Dec 2 by woiii

That's true. Old people first and if they don't die we can give it important people like health professionals

...who are second on the list and likely to start getting jabs shortly after...

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 18:24 - Dec 2 with 1090 viewsfactual_blue

Spoiler - there aren't any such benefits.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 18:42 - Dec 2 with 1053 viewsTrequartista

No EU red tape now?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 18:46 - Dec 2 with 1046 viewsBlueBadger

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? on 18:42 - Dec 2 by Trequartista

No EU red tape now?

How come the UK is the first country to approve the use of the vaccine? by BlueBadger 2 Dec 2020 16:48

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024