Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning 16:54 - Dec 30 with 4658 viewsgordon

Who would have thought that the Brexiteers actually didn't give a sh*t about fishermen. Total surprise.

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:07 - Dec 31 with 707 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 15:49 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

Easy for you to say, you voted for this mess.

And this is what I meant by my post of yesterday. It doesn’t matter whether I voted leave or you voted remain. We are both living in a country that is no longer a member of the EU. We can either get on with it or wallow in self pity.

Anyway, you’ll have to go through this again in a couple of years when Sturgeon holds another Indy ref.

I then look forward to DK advocating for independence from a political union, without knowing exactly how Sturgeon is going to negotiate that independence and a future deal before he votes for it.

Anyway, happy Hogmanay. I’m about to play scrabble. See you next year.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 16:08]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:12 - Dec 31 with 688 viewsDarth_Koont

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:07 - Dec 31 by GlasgowBlue

And this is what I meant by my post of yesterday. It doesn’t matter whether I voted leave or you voted remain. We are both living in a country that is no longer a member of the EU. We can either get on with it or wallow in self pity.

Anyway, you’ll have to go through this again in a couple of years when Sturgeon holds another Indy ref.

I then look forward to DK advocating for independence from a political union, without knowing exactly how Sturgeon is going to negotiate that independence and a future deal before he votes for it.

I look forward to explaining that and you then accusing the “cybernats” of bullying and antisemitism.

Yawn.

Pronouns: He/Him

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:17 - Dec 31 with 675 viewsSpruceMoose

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:07 - Dec 31 by GlasgowBlue

Get on with it. Stop wallowing.

I keep seeing these sentiments from different people who voted leave and have now changed their mind. I wonder how much of this desire to just get on with it comes from a desire to gloss over their mistake. For me though, it is just so dismissive of the genuine and deeply worrying feelings many people have right now.

To be fair, I think it would be extremely convenient for regretful leave voters if remain voters were to agree to just move on. That would let them off the hook for their bad judgement entirely. Personally I think the damage that has been caused is so grave that it's a little sickening to be told that we should just forgive and forget so soon by the people now saying "Oopsie! My bad! Sorry!"

You don't cheat on your missus and then tell her to just get over it and to stop wallowing in self-pity if you want the future relationship to be a success.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you GB. Here's to a happier, healthier and more successful 2021. Good luck to us all, we will need it.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 16:19]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:25 - Dec 31 with 663 viewsfooters

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:17 - Dec 31 by SpruceMoose

Get on with it. Stop wallowing.

I keep seeing these sentiments from different people who voted leave and have now changed their mind. I wonder how much of this desire to just get on with it comes from a desire to gloss over their mistake. For me though, it is just so dismissive of the genuine and deeply worrying feelings many people have right now.

To be fair, I think it would be extremely convenient for regretful leave voters if remain voters were to agree to just move on. That would let them off the hook for their bad judgement entirely. Personally I think the damage that has been caused is so grave that it's a little sickening to be told that we should just forgive and forget so soon by the people now saying "Oopsie! My bad! Sorry!"

You don't cheat on your missus and then tell her to just get over it and to stop wallowing in self-pity if you want the future relationship to be a success.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you GB. Here's to a happier, healthier and more successful 2021. Good luck to us all, we will need it.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 16:19]

I'm not sure how any politically-educated person could change their mind over this. The decision was a major one that was very clear. Saying "I've changed my mind over wanting to eat sh1t instead of chocolate" seems a little far-fetched. What could possibly make someone change their mind over it, unless they really didn't understand the full implications to begin with?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:32 - Dec 31 with 645 viewsHerbivore

It's just rather frustrating that people such as yourself bought a load of lies from known charlatans and as a result the whole country now has to suffer. Most polling suggests a steady majority think that leaving is/was a bad idea now, many have finally come to see through the lies and recognise that we couldn't actually have our cake and eat it after all. We've all lost freedoms and opportunities because of Brexit, most of us will be worse off too. And all of this was entirely predictable.

So I'll thank you not to pat me on the head and tell me to move on, this isn't my mess, I never wanted it, I still don't want it, I'm not going to quietly accept it and pretend it's anything other than the biggest embarrassment and most wilfully self-destructive moment in this country's recent history. Fook Brexit, fook Johnson, fook this Tory government, and fook anyone who was foolish enough to be duped by them.

Happy new year.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 17:37]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:35 - Dec 31 with 638 viewsbluelagos

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:25 - Dec 31 by footers

I'm not sure how any politically-educated person could change their mind over this. The decision was a major one that was very clear. Saying "I've changed my mind over wanting to eat sh1t instead of chocolate" seems a little far-fetched. What could possibly make someone change their mind over it, unless they really didn't understand the full implications to begin with?

TBf to some of those who voted leave, they were told (and presumably believed) a whole pack of lies about what a future outside the EU would bring in terms of economic benefits.

Dan Hamman and others made a half decent case about us remaining close to the EU post brexit, rather than the actual hard brexit that we now have.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:40 - Dec 31 with 630 viewsHerbivore

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:35 - Dec 31 by bluelagos

TBf to some of those who voted leave, they were told (and presumably believed) a whole pack of lies about what a future outside the EU would bring in terms of economic benefits.

Dan Hamman and others made a half decent case about us remaining close to the EU post brexit, rather than the actual hard brexit that we now have.

Even Nigel kunting Farage was extolling the virtues of a Norway style relationship with the EU prior to the referendum, and that would have meant incredibly close alignment. We've ended up with a hard Brexit. The fact there won't be tariffs on goods doesn't change that.

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:42 - Dec 31 with 625 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep. And those Norway-style deals etc. that he and Farage were pushing pre-referendum were criticised for giving us reduced sovereignty because we would be giving up our say and influence to keep effectively the same terms.

I still think May going hard Brexit immediately was the single-worst decision made. Even more than Cameron calling a referendum after a half-arsed negotiation with Europe where he’d already expended his capital on appeasing the xenophobes in his own party. May leaning into that majority anti-EU sentiment to establish her own power in the Tory party was a colossal dereliction of public duty.

Brexit from start to finish has been a political fantasy for self-serving purposes. Now we all have to pay for that in the real world.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 16:43]

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:42 - Dec 31 with 626 viewsfooters

Completely agree that so many were misled. I've said it a million times before, but the number of searches for 'what is the EU' on the morning after the referendum is a national disgrace.

People talk a lot about democracy, but one of the fundamentals of a democracy is that it is not simply a right; it's a duty. And part of that duty is to inform yourself of the facts. Far more should be done in schools from an earlier age, teaching about your rights, responsibilites and the importance of voting, imo.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:44 - Dec 31 with 620 viewsHerbivore

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:42 - Dec 31 by footers

Completely agree that so many were misled. I've said it a million times before, but the number of searches for 'what is the EU' on the morning after the referendum is a national disgrace.

People talk a lot about democracy, but one of the fundamentals of a democracy is that it is not simply a right; it's a duty. And part of that duty is to inform yourself of the facts. Far more should be done in schools from an earlier age, teaching about your rights, responsibilites and the importance of voting, imo.

The UK, and the Tories in particular, doesn't want a politically literate electorate. It would be a disaster for them.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 17:38]

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:33 - Dec 31 with 579 viewsBlueNomad

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:32 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

It's just rather frustrating that people such as yourself bought a load of lies from known charlatans and as a result the whole country now has to suffer. Most polling suggests a steady majority think that leaving is/was a bad idea now, many have finally come to see through the lies and recognise that we couldn't actually have our cake and eat it after all. We've all lost freedoms and opportunities because of Brexit, most of us will be worse off too. And all of this was entirely predictable.

So I'll thank you not to pat me on the head and tell me to move on, this isn't my mess, I never wanted it, I still don't want it, I'm not going to quietly accept it and pretend it's anything other than the biggest embarrassment and most wilfully self-destructive moment in this country's recent history. Fook Brexit, fook Johnson, fook this Tory government, and fook anyone who was foolish enough to be duped by them.

Happy new year.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 17:37]

POTD
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:44 - Dec 31 with 556 viewseireblue

"We can either get on with it or wallow in self pity."

I have to say, this is classic GB, create a dilemma or polarised question, and suggest people should be on one side of it.

You are the one describing a partial trade deal as something that can be classified as "best".

All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes.
Winston Churchill

If people want a better future, a good start maybe to learn from mistakes, and not follow people that like a bit of "clever campaigning".
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:55 - Dec 31 with 542 viewsgiant_stow

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 16:42 - Dec 31 by Darth_Koont

Yep. And those Norway-style deals etc. that he and Farage were pushing pre-referendum were criticised for giving us reduced sovereignty because we would be giving up our say and influence to keep effectively the same terms.

I still think May going hard Brexit immediately was the single-worst decision made. Even more than Cameron calling a referendum after a half-arsed negotiation with Europe where he’d already expended his capital on appeasing the xenophobes in his own party. May leaning into that majority anti-EU sentiment to establish her own power in the Tory party was a colossal dereliction of public duty.

Brexit from start to finish has been a political fantasy for self-serving purposes. Now we all have to pay for that in the real world.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 16:43]

Calling article 50 so early was the worst mistake by a mile. Our only control over the negotiation pissed away to keep a weird coalition of UK brexiters and the EU happy.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:08 - Dec 31 with 512 viewspointofblue

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:55 - Dec 31 by giant_stow

Calling article 50 so early was the worst mistake by a mile. Our only control over the negotiation pissed away to keep a weird coalition of UK brexiters and the EU happy.

The problem was both Cameron and May had such a small outright majority. Had they had a larger majority, or had to govern as part of a coalition as per 2010-15 then the ERG would have had very little influence over party decisions and direction. I swear to this day Cameron promised a referendum expecting to go back into a coalition with the Liberal Democrats, who would have shut it down.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:15 - Dec 31 with 507 viewsHerbivore

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:08 - Dec 31 by pointofblue

The problem was both Cameron and May had such a small outright majority. Had they had a larger majority, or had to govern as part of a coalition as per 2010-15 then the ERG would have had very little influence over party decisions and direction. I swear to this day Cameron promised a referendum expecting to go back into a coalition with the Liberal Democrats, who would have shut it down.

The whole country has basically been dragged into and stitched up by an issue that is essentially a long running Tory psychodrama. The Little Englanders on their back benches have been agitating to leave the EU for decades and it's caused endless problems for successive Tory leaders. Now it's gone and bolloxed all of us. I imagine bringing back capital punishment and national service and taking back control of India will be the ERG's next pet projects.

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:06 - Dec 31 with 472 viewsjaykay

what does the word hypocrite score in scrabble .
asking for a friend

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 23:09 - Dec 31 with 418 viewsClapham_Junction

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:15 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

The whole country has basically been dragged into and stitched up by an issue that is essentially a long running Tory psychodrama. The Little Englanders on their back benches have been agitating to leave the EU for decades and it's caused endless problems for successive Tory leaders. Now it's gone and bolloxed all of us. I imagine bringing back capital punishment and national service and taking back control of India will be the ERG's next pet projects.

Given that pretty much every year since 2009 has been successively worse (or at least our government and politics has), I wonder what sh1t 2021 has in store for us.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 23:11]
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 00:55 - Jan 1 with 356 viewsHerbivore

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 23:09 - Dec 31 by Clapham_Junction

Given that pretty much every year since 2009 has been successively worse (or at least our government and politics has), I wonder what sh1t 2021 has in store for us.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 23:11]

FFS. The absolute state of it. People actually vote for and support these vile beasts.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024