Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case 07:41 - Jan 8 with 932 viewsurbanblue

Seems drastic but I guess this is how a lockdown should work.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-08/coronavirus-queensland-lockdown-hotel-cle
Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 08:07 - Jan 8 with 888 viewsStokieBlue

One case if the B117 variant though. After all the hard work Australia have done with lockdowns can't blame them for not wanting that strain to get a foothold.

Whether it'll work i guess we will have to wait and see.

How are the people taking such draconian measures?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The S African variant is looking a touch more concerning as well on 08:47 - Jan 8 with 821 viewshomer_123

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 08:07 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

One case if the B117 variant though. After all the hard work Australia have done with lockdowns can't blame them for not wanting that strain to get a foothold.

SB

"Their study, released on Tuesday but not peer-reviewed, found that “emerging lineages in South Africa and Brazil carrying the E484K mutation will have greatly reduced susceptibility to neutralisation by the . . . serum antibodies of some individuals”. However, the effect was much stronger in some people than others, the paper said.

Prof de Oliveira’s team in South Africa have reached similar conclusions. “This finding about antibody neutralisation was highlighted very strongly in our paper,” he said. “There is a reason to be concerned.”
"

Seems we are taking is more seriously as well with the travel ban and testing (finally?).

https://www.ft.com/content/c2aa5ea4-66b9-4f64-9e74-7c89c12f9461

Study link: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.31.425021v1.full.pdf

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/08/south-african-covid-variant-coronavi
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 8:49]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 09:13 - Jan 8 with 766 viewsSwansea_Blue

Didn't somewhere have a full lockdown just before Christmas when they had 80 new cases in a day, and it pretty much stopped the spread within a couple of days? No messing about over there with you lot is there. Which may explain why you've had less deaths over the whole pandemic than we have PER DAY at the moment.

I was speaking to someone who has family over there who were briefly considering a visit to the UK. Apparently on going back they would have been flown to somewhere up north in the Darwin area to a quarantine centre (old army camp?), held for 2 weeks before being flown back down to Melbourne. The quarantine camp and extra flights they would have had to pay for themselves for many $000s.

Seems like a sensible way to both control both the spread of the virus and disincentivise travel.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 09:18 - Jan 8 with 759 viewsartsbossbeard

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 08:07 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

SB

When I lived in Australia for a month in 2019, I spent a fair bit of time with the locals and they're quite happy (on the whole) to follow and adhere to govt. advice and regulations.*

*This study comes from a drunken bbq where the subject came up and may not be representative of all Australians - I mean these particular Aussies had never heard of The Stone Roses...

Brisbane is also a wonderful city and well worth a visit once we're all able again.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The S African variant is looking a touch more concerning as well on 09:39 - Jan 8 with 713 viewsStokieBlue

The S African variant is looking a touch more concerning as well on 08:47 - Jan 8 by homer_123

"Their study, released on Tuesday but not peer-reviewed, found that “emerging lineages in South Africa and Brazil carrying the E484K mutation will have greatly reduced susceptibility to neutralisation by the . . . serum antibodies of some individuals”. However, the effect was much stronger in some people than others, the paper said.

Prof de Oliveira’s team in South Africa have reached similar conclusions. “This finding about antibody neutralisation was highlighted very strongly in our paper,” he said. “There is a reason to be concerned.”
"

Seems we are taking is more seriously as well with the travel ban and testing (finally?).

https://www.ft.com/content/c2aa5ea4-66b9-4f64-9e74-7c89c12f9461

Study link: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.31.425021v1.full.pdf

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/08/south-african-covid-variant-coronavi
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 8:49]

It's certainly a possible worrying development but it was to be expected, it's essentially an arms race between the virus and the vaccines and we have to hope the vaccines win. As it stands I believe they think the current vaccines will still work on the SA variant but it might be at a reduced efficacy (I've not had a chance to read the new study you've posted).

The mRNA vaccines can be modified very quickly as it's essentially like programming - you just tweak the instructions and the body makes a different spike protein. I guess there is then the debate of whether the tweaked version needs to go through the stage 1, 2 and 3 testing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The S African variant is looking a touch more concerning as well on 10:10 - Jan 8 with 672 viewshomer_123

The S African variant is looking a touch more concerning as well on 09:39 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

It's certainly a possible worrying development but it was to be expected, it's essentially an arms race between the virus and the vaccines and we have to hope the vaccines win. As it stands I believe they think the current vaccines will still work on the SA variant but it might be at a reduced efficacy (I've not had a chance to read the new study you've posted).

The mRNA vaccines can be modified very quickly as it's essentially like programming - you just tweak the instructions and the body makes a different spike protein. I guess there is then the debate of whether the tweaked version needs to go through the stage 1, 2 and 3 testing.

SB

Yep - it's reduced (but not in everyone).

And indeed, I've already read that the current vaccines can easily be tweaked to overcome but the downside is that 'can' simply push the virus to mutate faster but that's simply what happens in these situations.

The wider debate comes, as you say, in the ethics of approval and testing.....which could be more challenging.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 10:13 - Jan 8 with 670 viewsElderGrizzly

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 09:13 - Jan 8 by Swansea_Blue

Didn't somewhere have a full lockdown just before Christmas when they had 80 new cases in a day, and it pretty much stopped the spread within a couple of days? No messing about over there with you lot is there. Which may explain why you've had less deaths over the whole pandemic than we have PER DAY at the moment.

I was speaking to someone who has family over there who were briefly considering a visit to the UK. Apparently on going back they would have been flown to somewhere up north in the Darwin area to a quarantine centre (old army camp?), held for 2 weeks before being flown back down to Melbourne. The quarantine camp and extra flights they would have had to pay for themselves for many $000s.

Seems like a sensible way to both control both the spread of the virus and disincentivise travel.

Northern Beaches in Sydney. Some of my family are there. 5 days stay at home, then back open again
Just spoke to a colleague... on 11:44 - Jan 8 with 575 viewsunstableblue

... He's in Adelaide, he travelled to see his mum in Brisbane over Christmas, despite very low case rate up there, he's having to self isolate (strictly) in Adelaide for two weeks. Directive at arrival at airport, monitored.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 13:45 - Jan 8 with 503 viewsAce_High1

And the Aussie get it right YET again.

No messing, no bluster, plan, communicate, action. A few days and then everyone is out having a great life again.

Watch and learn Europe/US.
Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 17:32 - Jan 8 with 450 viewsmichaeldownunder

Very fast work here in Brisbane.
My work place, signs up at 10 am regards No. of people in shop, we started wearing face masks at same time Customers have to wear face masks from 6pm
Full lockdown at 6pm on Friday till Monday at 6pm, apart from food shopping, medical etc
We have been told if we dont fully follow instructions lockdown could go on for 30 days.
Borders to other states closed, flights cancelled.

On the fun side, shortage of loo rolls in shops.
Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 17:38 - Jan 8 with 438 viewshype313

Brisbane in lockdown due to ONE case on 17:32 - Jan 8 by michaeldownunder

Very fast work here in Brisbane.
My work place, signs up at 10 am regards No. of people in shop, we started wearing face masks at same time Customers have to wear face masks from 6pm
Full lockdown at 6pm on Friday till Monday at 6pm, apart from food shopping, medical etc
We have been told if we dont fully follow instructions lockdown could go on for 30 days.
Borders to other states closed, flights cancelled.

On the fun side, shortage of loo rolls in shops.

Lived in Brizza for a year, love the place, got many friends there, one of my fav places.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024