Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holloway using darts as a training drill 17:54 - Jan 12 with 1694 viewsmonty_radio

Grimsby are apparently the first club to be fined for neglect of Covid protocols, back in September. When queried about his playing darts with the players he claimed it was a training tool. Probably not a problem for Town as darts isn't big in Germany.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:01 - Jan 12 with 1331 viewsBluefish

Oooh this is a question I have been meaning to ask on here

I have just taken up darts again, by this I mean I had a dart board in a cabinet from when I was about 12 and it has been from house to house with me but never been put up and just left in the corner collecting dust. I decided now was the time so when I cleared out my office I made space and put it up. About a month in I was fed up of smelling of dust everytime I played so I bought a new board to put in it, the new dartboard technology is incredible!!

Anyway....are any of you big darts players? I am improving but still seem to be struggling for consistency. I can hit 140s and 100s but I just as likely to hit 41 45 or 26. I expect the idea is keep practising but happy for any tips

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:06 - Jan 12 with 1322 viewschrismakin

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:01 - Jan 12 by Bluefish

I have just taken up darts again, by this I mean I had a dart board in a cabinet from when I was about 12 and it has been from house to house with me but never been put up and just left in the corner collecting dust. I decided now was the time so when I cleared out my office I made space and put it up. About a month in I was fed up of smelling of dust everytime I played so I bought a new board to put in it, the new dartboard technology is incredible!!

Anyway....are any of you big darts players? I am improving but still seem to be struggling for consistency. I can hit 140s and 100s but I just as likely to hit 41 45 or 26. I expect the idea is keep practising but happy for any tips

4 stage plan

Stage 1. Spend 1 whole week hitting big singles round the board. Everywhere constantly
Stage 2 spend 1 week hitting 5 20 or 1. That's your aim inside the top 3
Stage 3 spend 1 week aiming at all doubles
Stage 4 2 weeks at all treble

Basically this will slowly get your natural throwing going and get your throwing where you are aiming so when it comes to playing games and increase your training on the treble game it should feel more natural and return a better rate of consistency

Played for Suffolk from 10 upto 17 and represented England.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:10 - Jan 12 with 1290 viewsgainsboroughblue

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:06 - Jan 12 by chrismakin

4 stage plan

Stage 1. Spend 1 whole week hitting big singles round the board. Everywhere constantly

Basically this will slowly get your natural throwing going and get your throwing where you are aiming so when it comes to playing games and increase your training on the treble game it should feel more natural and return a better rate of consistency

Cool stuff. What is the situation at County level now the BDO is basically non-existent?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:14 - Jan 12 with 1261 viewschrismakin

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:10 - Jan 12 by gainsboroughblue

Cool stuff. What is the situation at County level now the BDO is basically non-existent?

I'm not sure tbh. I'm in my 30s now and havent really kept up with it all. Sad times to see the BDO go though but not surprising

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:18 - Jan 12 with 1216 viewsBluefish

4 stage plan

Thank you. Will get on it

Been playing the computer lots but not sure it encourages disciplined play

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:22 - Jan 12 with 1210 viewschrismakin

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:18 - Jan 12 by Bluefish

Thank you. Will get on it

Been playing the computer lots but not sure it encourages disciplined play

Just relax and enjoy it.

Playing round the clock to break training up is a good idea daily.

Sometimes test yourself towards the end of training.. I.e won't come off the board until I've hit a 158 finish etc.

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:26 - Jan 12 with 1175 viewsBluefish

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:22 - Jan 12 by chrismakin

Just relax and enjoy it.

Playing round the clock to break training up is a good idea daily.

Sometimes test yourself towards the end of training.. I.e won't come off the board until I've hit a 158 finish etc.

Fook me I am miles off that. I normally won't come off until I've hit 100 or 3 x 60 in a row

I can feel myself improving each week. T20 are becoming regular it is just stringing them together, so often I hit t20 20 1

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:35 - Jan 12 with 1155 viewschrismakin

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 18:26 - Jan 12 by Bluefish

Fook me I am miles off that. I normally won't come off until I've hit 100 or 3 x 60 in a row

I can feel myself improving each week. T20 are becoming regular it is just stringing them together, so often I hit t20 20 1

What can help with grouping is to use the bullseye and the 25 to get the hang of grouping . Get to the point where your eyes not really looking at the dart in your hand but your just staring at the dart already in the board. It will start to feel effortless and you'll find your darts will start to follow each other.

Being honest tho. If at this stage your not playing anything serious hitting a treble and a 5 or a 1 each isn't bad. The rule is keeping it within the top 3 to begin with which means you have a nice solid arm. It just needs firming which will come with practice

Biggest thing is dont over think it. Darts is a good 60% concentration so if you do hit a 1 or 5. Just keep plodding away. You'll soon start to see those loose darts straightening up. You'll then begin grouping usually above the treble rather than in it. And then you'll find yourself hitting those 140s 180s

Login to get fewer ads

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:01 - Jan 12 with 1070 viewsNthsuffolkblue

4 stage plan

Surely Stage 1 is trying to hit the board somewhere consistently. That's where I gave up!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:05 - Jan 12 with 1057 viewschrismakin

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:01 - Jan 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Surely Stage 1 is trying to hit the board somewhere consistently. That's where I gave up!

It's more about finding your natural throw to begin with and your mind understanding that that's your natural throw. Your arm starts building internal strengths etc.

When you can effectively aim at any number and naturally throw a nice straight dart at it. You're ready to move on.

Of course that's what I did. Each person is different.

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:08 - Jan 12 with 1048 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:05 - Jan 12 by chrismakin

It's more about finding your natural throw to begin with and your mind understanding that that's your natural throw. Your arm starts building internal strengths etc.

When you can effectively aim at any number and naturally throw a nice straight dart at it. You're ready to move on.

Of course that's what I did. Each person is different.

I wasn't criticising your training advice, it sounds good.

I was merely pointing out that for some of us, we simply can't hit the board most of the time. My natural throwing action is best described as "inaccurate". Mind, I haven't tried it for a long time.

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:15 - Jan 12 with 1025 viewsjeera

Has anyone yet invented a board with magnets that attract the darts by any chance?

It would involve magnets that revolve behind the board which are controlled by a remote hidden in one's pocket or suchlike.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:18 - Jan 12 with 998 viewsBluefish

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:15 - Jan 12 by jeera

Has anyone yet invented a board with magnets that attract the darts by any chance?

It would involve magnets that revolve behind the board which are controlled by a remote hidden in one's pocket or suchlike.

Not sure but genuinely the technology now for the wires is so different to my original board

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:20 - Jan 12 with 998 viewschrismakin

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:08 - Jan 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

I wasn't criticising your training advice, it sounds good.

I was merely pointing out that for some of us, we simply can't hit the board most of the time. My natural throwing action is best described as "inaccurate". Mind, I haven't tried it for a long time.

If your keen to play and you have with respect an unnatural throw. Grab a bin and a bunch of rolled up paper and just throw the paper in the bin. Get them out and go again. Then take that throw and go at the bullseye and 25. It won't take long before you suddenly feel like you have a natural throw. :)

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:22 - Jan 12 with 982 viewsjeera

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:18 - Jan 12 by Bluefish

Not sure but genuinely the technology now for the wires is so different to my original board

I was asking for me - I have always been dreadful at darts.

Doesn't help that I'm not over interested nor that my eyesight is a bit sh1t.

My dad was a decent player and drove me mad trying to get me into it.

What do you mean about the wires? My throws used to bounce off them a lot and they seemed unfairly thick.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 19:34]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:26 - Jan 12 with 953 viewsBluefish

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:22 - Jan 12 by jeera

I was asking for me - I have always been dreadful at darts.

Doesn't help that I'm not over interested nor that my eyesight is a bit sh1t.

My dad was a decent player and drove me mad trying to get me into it.

What do you mean about the wires? My throws used to bounce off them a lot and they seemed unfairly thick.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 19:34]

My old board was always bouncing out. You can hardly see the new ones and they are shaped in way that bouncing out never happens

Laser eye surgery, best thing ever

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:28 - Jan 12 with 959 viewsjas0999

Incorrect - darts is big in Germany. Several top players on the PDC tour.
Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:29 - Jan 12 with 955 viewschrismakin

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:26 - Jan 12 by Bluefish

My old board was always bouncing out. You can hardly see the new ones and they are shaped in way that bouncing out never happens

Laser eye surgery, best thing ever

Yeah youd do well to get a bounce out nowadays it still happens but not as often.

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:31 - Jan 12 with 947 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:20 - Jan 12 by chrismakin

If your keen to play and you have with respect an unnatural throw. Grab a bin and a bunch of rolled up paper and just throw the paper in the bin. Get them out and go again. Then take that throw and go at the bullseye and 25. It won't take long before you suddenly feel like you have a natural throw. :)

I like the fact you think I will be getting them out of the bin!

Would be collecting most of them from the floor around it.

That said, I am sure practising would improve my throwing. Just not anything I was ever really that fussed about and always felt I was not naturally gifted at.

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 20:20 - Jan 12 with 870 viewsjontysnut

Trebles for show, doubles for dough.
Holloway using darts as a training drill on 20:35 - Jan 12 with 839 viewsmonty_radio

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 19:28 - Jan 12 by jas0999

Incorrect - darts is big in Germany. Several top players on the PDC tour.

But was it big BACK THEN?

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 20:37 - Jan 12 with 833 viewsChondzoresk

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 20:38 - Jan 12 with 826 viewsmonty_radio

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 20:37 - Jan 12 by Chondzoresk

This could account for Grimsby's league position

Holloway using darts as a training drill on 20:47 - Jan 12 with 800 viewsJamestownPrince

My old man played a bit and I have played for a few local pub teams -

I am good friends with a few PDC and "BDO" players - WDF have taken over the Amateur and Semi Pro tour with England darts - County darts will be re-organized after covid.

Played the Isle of Man comp the last couple of years - 2 years ago I was 3-0 up in round 1 and almost messed up, won 4-2 - Felt great, couple of more pints, played Martijn Kleermaker , he smacked me 4-0, averaging 103. This year I got beat 4-0 in round 1!!!

Have played Glen Durrant and Jamie Hughes (an old student of mine) a number of times. Thibault Tricole is a good mate too.

I have shoulder issues so although my board is up, I am lucky if I play 30 mins per week these days. I suppose if we ever get back to pub leagues, I'll make a comeback, although I have gone from 20 pints per week to 2/3!!!

Best of luck!!
Holloway using darts as a training drill on 20:51 - Jan 12 with 787 viewsnorth_stand77

Used to play a lot of darts- 3 or 4 nights a weeks, ladies team, mens team and ladies superleague. Mixed tournaments often on a weekend too. Was very average for superleague level but just loved playing!

Also used to play for ITFC on the Ipswich 'Fives' board at the social club near the Majnor Ballroom many years ago!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024