Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid Morons part 2574857 15:06 - Jan 13 with 3679 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-55648546

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:36 - Jan 13 with 595 viewsSarge

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:27 - Jan 13 by N2_Blue

FFS you just don't get it do you.

So many people just seem to want to bend the rules and put their reasoning across it's no wonder we are where we are.

Can you not just accept them and get on with it.

Go drive to the woods....I'd never wish an accident on you but say some jerk crashes into you and you are in desperate need of an ambulance, good luck waiting for one, you'll be waiting a while fella!

Sorry this stuff really makes me angry!
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 17:28]

I appreciate that but what if I get stabbed whilst walking around my neighbourhood? Then I’m in the same situation.

We need to be directing our ire at people that are driving cases up (although the current trend is down), not getting whipped up into a fury over people who may have broken the rule (whatever ‘local’ actually constitutes) but are not actually fuelling this pandemic.
Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:37 - Jan 13 with 594 viewsgiant_stow

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:27 - Jan 13 by N2_Blue

FFS you just don't get it do you.

So many people just seem to want to bend the rules and put their reasoning across it's no wonder we are where we are.

Can you not just accept them and get on with it.

Go drive to the woods....I'd never wish an accident on you but say some jerk crashes into you and you are in desperate need of an ambulance, good luck waiting for one, you'll be waiting a while fella!

Sorry this stuff really makes me angry!
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 17:28]

Not sure this fair.

The cities are crowded and parks packed - even streets can be a it hairy to walk down. I can see the sense of driving to somewhere quieter. Yes there might be an accident, but given the danger posed by just walking by people and how many you'd pass in the street or park, I'd say it's almost a wise move to go somewhere less busy on the blance of probabilities. As long as its local of course.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 17:39]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:38 - Jan 13 with 593 viewsjeera

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:35 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

It's against the rules though. I know you don't like it or agree with me but that clearly isn't local and it's probably not exercise. The rules are stay at home.

The public interpreting what is low risk is a contributor to the situation we are in at the moment.

I make do cycling locally in London or walking around the streets or a park (if I am very lucky). I am sure he has better exercise right on his front door and he's not even claimed this was for exercise. I could get much better exercise if I drove 14 miles but I don't because everyone has to play their part.

Whilst police should be focusing on larger law breakers perhaps we should stop finding excuses for the "minor" rule breakers.

SB

He wasn't exercising though was he, he was driving his car about like a tw@t.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:41 - Jan 13 with 575 viewsjeera

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:36 - Jan 13 by Sarge

I appreciate that but what if I get stabbed whilst walking around my neighbourhood? Then I’m in the same situation.

We need to be directing our ire at people that are driving cases up (although the current trend is down), not getting whipped up into a fury over people who may have broken the rule (whatever ‘local’ actually constitutes) but are not actually fuelling this pandemic.

To sum up somewhat, the problem is that a number of people are stretching things to be able to do more than they probably should, and that if we all do that then we have a problem.

Whereas if we all stick to the same principles, whether they make sense to us or not, then we are on some track to making things right much sooner.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:44 - Jan 13 with 568 viewsSarge

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:41 - Jan 13 by jeera

To sum up somewhat, the problem is that a number of people are stretching things to be able to do more than they probably should, and that if we all do that then we have a problem.

Whereas if we all stick to the same principles, whether they make sense to us or not, then we are on some track to making things right much sooner.

I agree.

And the positive is that that number is small, very small. In fact the smallest it’s ever been (apparently).

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-compliance-with-restrictions-at-highest-poin

So next time Patel or Hancock try and blame it on public non-compliance you’ll know they’re lying.

Although you’ll have known that anyway because their mouths were moving.
Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:44 - Jan 13 with 571 viewsbluelagos

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:36 - Jan 13 by jeera

But again I'm not sure I have a problem with the police there. It's all in context.

People targeting a particular spot that is known to be popular is stupid the way things are, rules or nay.

But on top of that, we have seen people still driving off to Wales and the Peaks and all the rest of it and, as others keep pointing out, that can bring all sorts of complications and it does. (Another lot had to be rescued the other day - selfish pricks! All think they are flipping special until they realise they're not and cry down the phone for someone else to bail them out).

That's not the same thing as keeping to your area that you are familiar with.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 17:36]

I think when people are avoiding driving 10 miles from Colchester to Dedham to walk on very quiet country paths, then we not in a place that I am comfortable with.

At the moment people are incredibly anxious and we should not be discouraging local walks.

Muppets driving to Snowdonia etc. wont defend them obviously.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:45 - Jan 13 with 563 viewsN2_Blue

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:36 - Jan 13 by Sarge

Again making excuse to for your agenda.

If leaving the house for exercise, as is your right, one is preventable (the car accident), one is not (getting stabbed).

One is bending the rules, one is not.

Sorry but this kind of attitude multiplied by x amount of the population is why we are where we are.

I love walks around water 10 minutes away from me. I am currently only walking within a mile of my house, not because i want to but because it's the right thing to do!!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:46 - Jan 13 with 561 viewsKievthegreat

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:11 - Jan 13 by footers

I'm just glad the police managed to Ketchum.

Problem is, you've got to catch 'em all!
Login to get fewer ads

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:47 - Jan 13 with 555 viewsbluelagos

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:44 - Jan 13 by Sarge

I agree.

And the positive is that that number is small, very small. In fact the smallest it’s ever been (apparently).

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-compliance-with-restrictions-at-highest-poin

So next time Patel or Hancock try and blame it on public non-compliance you’ll know they’re lying.

Although you’ll have known that anyway because their mouths were moving.

It's amazing how many people think there is widespread rule breaking. There's a couple of Sage guys often on C4 news and Newsnight who consistently state how high compliance is.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:51 - Jan 13 with 538 viewsSpruceMoose

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:44 - Jan 13 by bluelagos

I think when people are avoiding driving 10 miles from Colchester to Dedham to walk on very quiet country paths, then we not in a place that I am comfortable with.

At the moment people are incredibly anxious and we should not be discouraging local walks.

Muppets driving to Snowdonia etc. wont defend them obviously.

I suppose the situation that authorities are trying to avoid is 250 or 500 people from Colchester, Ipswich, Hadleigh, Sudbury, Clacton etc. all deciding to descend on Dedham because it's a pleasant Sunday afternoon, and then returning to their separate communities.

The question of how many also decide to then go and do something else on the way home just because "we are out now anyway" also will remain unanswered.

Isn't it better for them to find somewhere in their immediate surroundings to take in a bit of fresh air?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:56 - Jan 13 with 524 viewsStokieBlue

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:37 - Jan 13 by giant_stow

Not sure this fair.

The cities are crowded and parks packed - even streets can be a it hairy to walk down. I can see the sense of driving to somewhere quieter. Yes there might be an accident, but given the danger posed by just walking by people and how many you'd pass in the street or park, I'd say it's almost a wise move to go somewhere less busy on the blance of probabilities. As long as its local of course.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 17:39]

Is 14 miles local though?

14 miles gets me outside the M25, I don't think that's local. If 14 miles is local then is 28 miles? I could get to the Thames estuary for a lovely walk. If I've gone 28 miles then maybe another 14 won't hurt and suddenly I can walk along the promenade in Southend.

The rules were clearly meant to be exercise done from the home, not driving to somewhere for nicer exercise. It's not just about being local though, if you allow it people will all gravitate to the "nicer" spots and then you have a higher risk of infections spreading to other areas as they leave. If you stay local then there is no risk of that.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:58 - Jan 13 with 518 viewsbluelagos

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:45 - Jan 13 by N2_Blue

Again making excuse to for your agenda.

If leaving the house for exercise, as is your right, one is preventable (the car accident), one is not (getting stabbed).

One is bending the rules, one is not.

Sorry but this kind of attitude multiplied by x amount of the population is why we are where we are.

I love walks around water 10 minutes away from me. I am currently only walking within a mile of my house, not because i want to but because it's the right thing to do!!

If you are fortunate to have safe, accessible walks from your home then great. Many people don't. Which is why a short drive to access a safe accessible quiet country walk is allowed.

Not sure why you think it is illegal when it isn't. I know many people who regularly do 10 mile walks and know the quiet country paths where they are far less likely to encounter other people.

The alternative (which I have seen a number of times) is people walking around their neighbourhood and bumping into neighbours doing the same. And guess what, they stop for a chat.

Not everything is black and white, we all live in different places with different access to safe, quiet walking paths.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:01 - Jan 13 with 510 viewsSpruceMoose

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:58 - Jan 13 by bluelagos

If you are fortunate to have safe, accessible walks from your home then great. Many people don't. Which is why a short drive to access a safe accessible quiet country walk is allowed.

Not sure why you think it is illegal when it isn't. I know many people who regularly do 10 mile walks and know the quiet country paths where they are far less likely to encounter other people.

The alternative (which I have seen a number of times) is people walking around their neighbourhood and bumping into neighbours doing the same. And guess what, they stop for a chat.

Not everything is black and white, we all live in different places with different access to safe, quiet walking paths.

I do have sympathy for this point of view. Trust me, living in a large city it does feel difficult to get away from people at times, and it is tempting to hop in the car and drive an hour upstate to some state park.

But I return to the point that the idea is to stop people spread around a large geographic area coalescing in one place, mingling and then returning to their communities.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:01 - Jan 13 with 506 viewsjeera

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:47 - Jan 13 by bluelagos

It's amazing how many people think there is widespread rule breaking. There's a couple of Sage guys often on C4 news and Newsnight who consistently state how high compliance is.

Yes but there are still hotspots like this being reported:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/day-trippers-from-miles-away-invade-villag

This is the problem, people are still travelling to popular spots expecting to be the only ones there.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:01 - Jan 13 with 506 viewsbluelagos

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:56 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

14 miles gets me outside the M25, I don't think that's local. If 14 miles is local then is 28 miles? I could get to the Thames estuary for a lovely walk. If I've gone 28 miles then maybe another 14 won't hurt and suddenly I can walk along the promenade in Southend.

The rules were clearly meant to be exercise done from the home, not driving to somewhere for nicer exercise. It's not just about being local though, if you allow it people will all gravitate to the "nicer" spots and then you have a higher risk of infections spreading to other areas as they leave. If you stay local then there is no risk of that.

SB

Funnily enough Southend was on the news last night. Absolutely deserted.

Local will depend very much on where you live. In London I can see why people are worried. In the sticks it is literally empty roads, paths and lanes where I am.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:05 - Jan 13 with 501 viewsbluelagos

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:51 - Jan 13 by SpruceMoose

I suppose the situation that authorities are trying to avoid is 250 or 500 people from Colchester, Ipswich, Hadleigh, Sudbury, Clacton etc. all deciding to descend on Dedham because it's a pleasant Sunday afternoon, and then returning to their separate communities.

The question of how many also decide to then go and do something else on the way home just because "we are out now anyway" also will remain unanswered.

Isn't it better for them to find somewhere in their immediate surroundings to take in a bit of fresh air?

If available, of course.

Having said all that, iIts a spurious argument at the moment, Dedham is as empty as Alton water atm. Main carpark had 4 cars in it yesterday.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:05 - Jan 13 with 498 viewsjeera

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:01 - Jan 13 by SpruceMoose

I do have sympathy for this point of view. Trust me, living in a large city it does feel difficult to get away from people at times, and it is tempting to hop in the car and drive an hour upstate to some state park.

But I return to the point that the idea is to stop people spread around a large geographic area coalescing in one place, mingling and then returning to their communities.

You do have some nice parks within walking distance.

I have countryside on my doorstep so I can go off for a wander as you know.

But not everyone has that opportunity and I wouldn't want to pace up and down the streets here, and if everyone else did then we would have a problem - it would be packed!

It still lacks proper guidance. Lay down the laws and say, a 5 mile radius is your lot and if caught outside of that we will shoot your family dog or whatever.

Anything so people know what's what with clear boundaries and no room for interpretation.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:06 - Jan 13 with 497 viewsStokieBlue

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:58 - Jan 13 by bluelagos

"If you are fortunate to have safe, accessible walks from your home then great. Many people don't. Which is why a short drive to access a safe accessible quiet country walk is allowed."

Should I be allowed to drive and access a safe accessible quiet country walk?

I don't think I should because moving from one location to another which isn't local presents an immediate possible vector for the virus. No matter how small the risk is it's still non-zero.

I'd love to be able to do it but it's clearly the wrong thing to do.

SB

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:06 - Jan 13 with 497 viewsjeera

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:01 - Jan 13 by bluelagos

Funnily enough Southend was on the news last night. Absolutely deserted.

Local will depend very much on where you live. In London I can see why people are worried. In the sticks it is literally empty roads, paths and lanes where I am.

No one in their right mind is going to drive to Southend.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:07 - Jan 13 with 492 viewsKievthegreat

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 17:56 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

SB

The rules aren't "clearly meant to be exercise done from home" though. If they were clearly meant for that then there would not be a discussion and it would have been written as such. Local is not defined, it is up to interpretation. If it "clearly meant done from home" they could have very easily written that, but they did not.
Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:10 - Jan 13 with 482 viewsbluelagos

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:01 - Jan 13 by SpruceMoose

So driving to a quiet spot is surely better than walking in a busy place!

I am actually walking more Mon to Fri than weekends for that very reason atm :-)

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:11 - Jan 13 with 475 viewsfooters

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:06 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

"If you are fortunate to have safe, accessible walks from your home then great. Many people don't. Which is why a short drive to access a safe accessible quiet country walk is allowed."

Should I be allowed to drive and access a safe accessible quiet country walk?

I don't think I should because moving from one location to another which isn't local presents an immediate possible vector for the virus. No matter how small the risk is it's still non-zero.

I'd love to be able to do it but it's clearly the wrong thing to do.

SB

Exactly. It's all about containing the virus to as small a locality as possible per person. Does anyone live fourteen miles away from pavement?

The more we can just stay as local as possible, the better we'll be able to contain things in Tiers again. And by local I mean local. You don't need to exercise in a field or park, that is simply a want.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:12 - Jan 13 with 467 viewsSpruceMoose

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:10 - Jan 13 by bluelagos

So driving to a quiet spot is surely better than walking in a busy place!

I am actually walking more Mon to Fri than weekends for that very reason atm :-)

I'm not sure you can compare the situation in Suffolk to the situation of a city with 8-9 million people. Nobody in Suffolk needs to be driving to Essex to find a quiet spot.

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:14 - Jan 13 with 458 viewsbluelagos

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:06 - Jan 13 by jeera

No one in their right mind is going to drive to Southend.

It was Stokie that suggested it!

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:15 - Jan 13 with 455 viewsStokieBlue

Covid Morons part 2574857 on 18:07 - Jan 13 by Kievthegreat

The rules aren't "clearly meant to be exercise done from home" though. If they were clearly meant for that then there would not be a discussion and it would have been written as such. Local is not defined, it is up to interpretation. If it "clearly meant done from home" they could have very easily written that, but they did not.

Entirely depends on your interpretation but that is fair.

Local in my mind means somewhere that is walkable.

As you say though, the rules are open to too much interpretation in my view.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024