Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I actually thought 22:08 - Jan 23 with 3039 viewsGuthrum

we didn't play that badly today, were slightly unfortunate to lose.

The terrible, lacklustre passing back and among the defenders has gone. We pushed them back, ran with the ball. Even created chances.

Sure, we were still quite toothless in front of goal, Dozzell's passing was rather wayward, there were costly errors (Nsiala's challenge - which I thought was a bit soft - and McGuinness sticking his leg out for that ball in) and Thomas/Nolan ought to have come on ten minutes earlier. But it wasn't as dreadful as some recent perfomances.

Little steps and all that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I actually thought on 22:14 - Jan 23 with 2226 viewsSwansea_Blue

I enjoyed the first half. Two finally balanced teams moving the ball around pretty well, but ultimately cancelling each other out. Peterborough were sharper on the ball, but we were giving it a good go and played pretty well compared to recently. Second half we faded until the subs came on and gave us some impetus.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I actually thought on 22:17 - Jan 23 with 2198 viewschrismakin

I actually thought on 22:14 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

I enjoyed the first half. Two finally balanced teams moving the ball around pretty well, but ultimately cancelling each other out. Peterborough were sharper on the ball, but we were giving it a good go and played pretty well compared to recently. Second half we faded until the subs came on and gave us some impetus.

Are you two Lambert and Taylor?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I actually thought on 22:17 - Jan 23 with 2189 viewsBlueBadger

I know it's Saturday night, but you two should really go easy on the booze.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I actually thought on 22:23 - Jan 23 with 2154 viewsazuremerlangus

My thoughts too.

The off-field rumours of unrest still persist though.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

I actually thought on 22:26 - Jan 23 with 2126 viewshoppy

I don't think Chambers particularly enjoyed the first half he had.

Was pleased to see far less of the passing backwards and across the back today, if we're looking at positives.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I actually thought on 22:29 - Jan 23 with 2104 viewsGuthrum

I actually thought on 22:17 - Jan 23 by chrismakin

Are you two Lambert and Taylor?

I just think that there are signs from today - against a decent opponent - that it wouldn't take much to turn us into a competitive team. Unfortunately, even if everything goes right*, we may already be too far adrift for a shot at the automatics.

* And I still don't think Lambert is the man to do that. Let's see how we play against Sunderland and Crewe.

I actually thought on 22:32 - Jan 23 with 2084 viewsIllinoisblue

I actually thought on 22:29 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

I just think that there are signs from today - against a decent opponent - that it wouldn't take much to turn us into a competitive team. Unfortunately, even if everything goes right*, we may already be too far adrift for a shot at the automatics.

* And I still don't think Lambert is the man to do that. Let's see how we play against Sunderland and Crewe.

But where are the goals going to come from? We don’t create more than 3 chances per game, and our set pieces are woeful. We are very easy to play against. There was slight encouragement with Nolan and Thomas coming on, but let’s not kid ourselves. We’ve lost five out of six at home.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I actually thought on 22:34 - Jan 23 with 2069 viewschrismakin

I actually thought on 22:29 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

I wish I could be more positive, but I see it more of Boro not even getting out of 2nd gear rather than town doing more. It's almost like they weren't fussed, it was quite bizarre. I kept waiting for them to start bursting out wide with the ball and hitting our box with constant crosses but they just didn't seem interested.

For me, i felt we played like a Burton/Swindon, still no where near a side competing at the level we should be.

Tuesday will definitely tell us more

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

I actually thought on 22:42 - Jan 23 with 2032 viewsGuthrum

I actually thought on 22:32 - Jan 23 by Illinoisblue

But where are the goals going to come from? We don’t create more than 3 chances per game, and our set pieces are woeful. We are very easy to play against. There was slight encouragement with Nolan and Thomas coming on, but let’s not kid ourselves. We’ve lost five out of six at home.

Probably from players like Nolan (who did actually have the ball in the net) and Edwards. Maybe Norwood, if he can get and stay uninjured.

Things were by no means perfect, but we were pushing forwards and not passing it aimlessly around the back. Which is a significant improvement. Especially as Evans is showing little sign of changing the Manager any time soon.

I actually thought on 22:42 - Jan 23 with 2030 viewshomer_123

Hmmm

My observations were more akin to P'boro coming and being more open and therefore allowing us to play a bit more.

One notably difference showed. When their wing backs and wide CBs received the ball from the keeper 90% they received the ball allowing them to play a forward pass.

Compare that to us...and, yes we were marginally better today, there is a world of difference.

We offered nothing as an attacking threat until Thomas and Nolan appeared. Nsiala is a decent defender as long as he's nowhere near our box.

As I said earlier. We continue to only play in patches, we don't capitalise on that and struggle with defensive mistakes.

It was better than the last couple footballing wise but only just and, frankly, its a low base we are coming from.

Green shoots? Let's see what Tuesday brings.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I actually thought on 22:55 - Jan 23 with 1981 viewsGodzilla

Not a terrible performance (yet again) and we do have some quality players at this level or even for level above. But we continue to flatter to deceive, some nice passing but the players don't seem to have a game plan in mind for where their passing game is leading to, and it never seems to have the direct aim of crossing into the box , or god forbid a shot on goal from the edge of the box (on target or not - who cares - one will go in eventually). No end game - even Ronaldo would be standing about getting frostbite with these tactics.
I actually thought on 23:06 - Jan 23 with 1921 viewsPlums

People seem to have forgotten that they gave us a free pass by blasting that penalty over. We’d have been finished there and then if he’d put it away. A bit of running about doesn’t arrest the downward trajectory that the team and club are on.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I actually thought on 23:08 - Jan 23 with 1910 viewsCoco

Wut? Why have standards dropped so low?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I actually thought on 23:13 - Jan 23 with 1903 viewsGuthrum

I actually thought on 23:08 - Jan 23 by Coco

Wut? Why have standards dropped so low?

Not standards, just expectations - based on the current situation.

I actually thought on 23:15 - Jan 23 with 1888 viewsCoco

I actually thought on 23:13 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

Not standards, just expectations - based on the current situation.

Ok fair enough. from such a low bar we played a bit better. Never looked like scoring against posh in div 3 at home. But marginally better than the loss at home to rock bottom swindon in div 3.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I actually thought on 02:25 - Jan 24 with 1761 viewsBugs

I actually thought on 23:15 - Jan 23 by Coco

Ok fair enough. from such a low bar we played a bit better. Never looked like scoring against posh in div 3 at home. But marginally better than the loss at home to rock bottom swindon in div 3.

Football would be boring if every result was predictable. But there is so much predictability about out club ATM.

When was the last time we played 90 mins of good football? I'm not too sure we ever have under Lambert. The bar just gets lower and lower and so do the expectations.

We are ITFC in division 3 FFS, our lowest of the low expectations should challenging for the top 2! We should expect no less or accept no less than that at this level.

The bar is low indeed for some.
I actually thought on 08:11 - Jan 24 with 1557 viewsphillev

I actually thought on 02:25 - Jan 24 by Bugs

Football would be boring if every result was predictable. But there is so much predictability about out club ATM.

When was the last time we played 90 mins of good football? I'm not too sure we ever have under Lambert. The bar just gets lower and lower and so do the expectations.

We are ITFC in division 3 FFS, our lowest of the low expectations should challenging for the top 2! We should expect no less or accept no less than that at this level.

The bar is low indeed for some.

The bar is on the floor i'm afraid we lost at home.... Again, no goal threat, again. I'm not in the camp for letting this season run with that mumbling Scottish Knob in charge, kick him out now and at least get a managerial team in with some creative idea's going forward ready for next season. Totally agree top two is where we should aiming for and we are sadly nowhere near good enough.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 8:23]
I actually thought on 08:21 - Jan 24 with 1527 viewsgordon

If we were creating chances and missing them, I'd agree, but for 75 minutes or so we didn't create even a half-chance.

Given that we were playing 4-5-1, we were always going to outnumber them in midfield, meaning that we ought to be able to pass it around in the middle of the pitch and close them down fairly effectively - but we sacrifice having any kind of goal threat to achieve this.

We just won't create enough chances playing like that to consistently win games, except against probably the bottom 8 or so teams. If we want promotion, then we have to win against better sides, meaning we have to be able to create chances, which means committing more players forward.

It was a standard match of the Lambert era - we just didn't have the right balance between attacking threat and defensive solidity - in some ways it's better than Peterborough turning us over 4-1, but it was just the flip side of our complete inability to set a balanced team up with an effective gameplan.
I actually thought on 08:56 - Jan 24 with 1451 viewsHerbivore

I actually thought on 08:21 - Jan 24 by gordon

If we were creating chances and missing them, I'd agree, but for 75 minutes or so we didn't create even a half-chance.

Given that we were playing 4-5-1, we were always going to outnumber them in midfield, meaning that we ought to be able to pass it around in the middle of the pitch and close them down fairly effectively - but we sacrifice having any kind of goal threat to achieve this.

We just won't create enough chances playing like that to consistently win games, except against probably the bottom 8 or so teams. If we want promotion, then we have to win against better sides, meaning we have to be able to create chances, which means committing more players forward.

It was a standard match of the Lambert era - we just didn't have the right balance between attacking threat and defensive solidity - in some ways it's better than Peterborough turning us over 4-1, but it was just the flip side of our complete inability to set a balanced team up with an effective gameplan.

I honestly think Lambert was happy just not to get trounced today to be honest. Judge as a wide forward again, one up front, no number 10. As soon as most of us saw the line up we knew we were unlikely to score today. Peterbrough aren't all that great, especially away from home, but they didn't need to play well to beat us, just to turn up. That's the depressing thing. Still, when Lambert has his next difficult call with ME he can point to progress as we only lost 1-0 this time rather than 4-1 and we did have Norwood and Jackson out, and I'm sure he'll chuck a few other excuses in there for good measure. Green shoots.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 9:17]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I actually thought on 09:01 - Jan 24 with 1410 viewsgordon

I actually thought on 08:56 - Jan 24 by Herbivore

I honestly think Lambert was happy just not to get trounced today to be honest. Judge as a wide forward again, one up front, no number 10. As soon as most of us saw the line up we knew we were unlikely to score today. Peterbrough aren't all that great, especially away from home, but they didn't need to play well to beat us, just to turn up. That's the depressing thing. Still, when Lambert has his next difficult call with ME he can point to progress as we only lost 1-0 this time rather than 4-1 and we did have Norwood and Jackson out, and I'm sure he'll chuck a few other excuses in there for good measure. Green shoots.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 9:17]

That line-up felt really similar to how we were for the last two or so years with McCarthy, where we had a set up which could quite reliably pick up points against the weaker teams, but didn't give us much hope against the better teams of that division.
I actually thought on 09:04 - Jan 24 with 1400 viewsjayessess

We're now two and a half years into the Lambert project. It has to be more than little steps at this point.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I actually thought on 09:21 - Jan 24 with 1352 viewsHerbivore

I actually thought on 09:01 - Jan 24 by gordon

That line-up felt really similar to how we were for the last two or so years with McCarthy, where we had a set up which could quite reliably pick up points against the weaker teams, but didn't give us much hope against the better teams of that division.

Mick rarely went one up front at home in fairness and we did still get results against top teams on occasion in his last 2 years here. Things are so much worse now than they were even in the worst times under Mick, we've fallen so, so far.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I actually thought on 09:33 - Jan 24 with 1324 viewsIpswichKnight

We’re still ponderous in attack with no pace anywhere, when we do win it back in our defensive 1/3 we can’t break quickly with a ball slide between centre back and full back. Yesterday Peterborough’s full backs made Chambers and Ward look like Olympic sprinters yet we couldn’t exploit it until Thomas came on.
I actually thought on 09:45 - Jan 24 with 1286 viewsDeano69

I actually thought on 22:26 - Jan 23 by hoppy

I don't think Chambers particularly enjoyed the first half he had.

Was pleased to see far less of the passing backwards and across the back today, if we're looking at positives.

Indeed.

With no real goal threat we couldn’t make the ball stick in their third. We have at least moved some of the sideways passing into the opponents half.

Also, not sure what they are feeding Peterborough players but they seem to fold up like a cheap suit as soon as you touch them.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 10:00]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

I actually thought on 09:56 - Jan 24 with 1238 viewsGuthrum

I actually thought on 09:04 - Jan 24 by jayessess

We're now two and a half years into the Lambert project. It has to be more than little steps at this point.

I'm just convinced there is little chance of the manager being changed at any point soon, so - for the good of the club - anything which shows some slight improvement on the current low point (down in L1, feeble, dire playing style) is welcome in my book. I'd hate to see us stuck down here for another season, let alone relegated again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024