Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lamberts payoff 10:43 - Jan 24 with 5515 viewsBent_double

None of us know the details of that terrible 5-yr contract ME gave him just over a year ago, but the general assumption is that there will be some kind of break clause that kicks in - hopefully very, very soon.

But even if there isn't, and say PL is due a cool £1m payoff, surely he's not expecting it in his bank account the day after he's given his P45? Surely ME can come to some agreement with him that it's paid in 6 months/a years time, or even in instalments if he's concerned about the cost - especially with the added cost of the incoming manager.

Lambert's already financially secure, but we know he's also not adverse to taking former employers to court, but even he must be reasonable and understand the financial situation that we (and football in general) are in?

Mind you, if I were Lambert, I would be embarrassed that I was still taking a wage for the extremely poor job I was doing, and I'd quit. He's got a great excuse - Covid has knocked him for six, no-one would blame him for quitting now citing health as the reason.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lamberts payoff on 10:47 - Jan 24 with 4163 viewsPinewoodblue

He was on his knees before Covid. He should throw in the towel.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lamberts payoff on 10:49 - Jan 24 with 4142 viewsBlueBadger

Lamberts payoff on 10:47 - Jan 24 by Pinewoodblue

He was on his knees before Covid. He should throw in the towel.

He knows as much as we do that he's never getting another football manager's job ever again.

Although he seems to be angling for the Celtic one, if his recent appearances in the Scottish press are anything to go by.
Amusingly enough, I was banned from commenting on stories in the Glasgow Times because I left a post telling their readers what a terrible manager he is.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lamberts payoff on 10:55 - Jan 24 with 4120 viewsnorth_stand77

Lamberts payoff on 10:49 - Jan 24 by BlueBadger

He knows as much as we do that he's never getting another football manager's job ever again.

Although he seems to be angling for the Celtic one, if his recent appearances in the Scottish press are anything to go by.
Amusingly enough, I was banned from commenting on stories in the Glasgow Times because I left a post telling their readers what a terrible manager he is.

Just read that it looks like Rafa Benitez is getting Celtic job.......unfortunately,
Lamberts payoff on 10:56 - Jan 24 with 4106 viewsBlueBadger

Lamberts payoff on 10:55 - Jan 24 by north_stand77

Just read that it looks like Rafa Benitez is getting Celtic job.......unfortunately,

Well, if he needs an assistant who is a 'club legend' to get the fans onside...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lamberts payoff on 10:57 - Jan 24 with 4103 viewsPinewoodblue

Hopefully the fact that Chambers has spoken out will be the shove in the back Evans needs.

Even if Evans won’t sack him Lambert, along with his coaching staff, need to told to stay away while the situation is reviewed. Butcher and Dyer in temporary charge from tomorrow.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lamberts payoff on 10:58 - Jan 24 with 4101 viewslongtimefan

There’s no legal reason ME would have to pay him up front, he could for instance pay him as he does now and remove him from all duties. Unfortunately he still has to pay a replacement as well, so it’s still going to cost him a lot of money.
Lamberts payoff on 10:59 - Jan 24 with 4097 viewsBent_double

I think he could work in the lower Scottish leagues, perhaps working up to the Celtic job in a few years if he's successful there.

He just needs to look at himself and analyse where he's gone wrong here and be man enough to change if he wants to be a success again.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lamberts payoff on 11:00 - Jan 24 with 4091 viewsBlueBadger

Lamberts payoff on 10:59 - Jan 24 by Bent_double

I think he could work in the lower Scottish leagues, perhaps working up to the Celtic job in a few years if he's successful there.

He just needs to look at himself and analyse where he's gone wrong here and be man enough to change if he wants to be a success again.

So, like I said, he's never working as a manager ever again, 'cos he's never going to do that.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 11:03]

Login to get fewer ads

Lamberts payoff on 11:10 - Jan 24 with 4039 viewstractordownsouth

Might get a gig at East Fife or Arbroath

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Lamberts payoff on 11:10 - Jan 24 with 4039 viewsFoD_Blue

Lamberts payoff on 11:00 - Jan 24 by BlueBadger

So, like I said, he's never working as a manager ever again, 'cos he's never going to do that.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 11:03]

If he gets the sack from Town, he will get another job in management. For some reason, no matter how bad we think a manager is, they always seem to manage to get employed again by the next train wreck club.
Lamberts payoff on 11:12 - Jan 24 with 4020 viewstractordownsouth

I realise it’s easy for me to demand Evans pays Lambert off because it’s not my money, but the cost of the sacking isn’t actually the pay off, it’s the contract of Cowley/Cook whoever is appointed. The outlay for Lambert’s contract will have to be paid either way (unless there are break clauses) so may as well just cut our losses. A chance of promotion is worth much more than the 5-10k a week the new manager would earn.

Lamberts payoff on 11:22 - Jan 24 with 3970 viewsHerbivore

Lamberts payoff on 11:10 - Jan 24 by FoD_Blue

If he gets the sack from Town, he will get another job in management. For some reason, no matter how bad we think a manager is, they always seem to manage to get employed again by the next train wreck club.

Not sure about that. We effectively ended the careers of Jewell and Keane. Lambert has been utterly terrible here and hasn't been a success anywhere in years. I'd be really surprised to see him get another job when we finally pull the trigger.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lamberts payoff on 11:29 - Jan 24 with 3943 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Lamberts payoff on 10:58 - Jan 24 by longtimefan

There’s no legal reason ME would have to pay him up front, he could for instance pay him as he does now and remove him from all duties. Unfortunately he still has to pay a replacement as well, so it’s still going to cost him a lot of money.

That would depend on the contract. You’re effectively talking about putting him on garden leave. That needs to be written into the contract. I’m not sure that a new manager would want him lurking around in the background, so it is more likely that he would be sacked and given a pay off

Poll: Our final position

Lamberts payoff on 11:31 - Jan 24 with 3939 viewsGeorge25

According to DM on the hard truth contract pay offs are paid over time, with most of them stopping if they get a job elsewhere. Evans f***** up giving him the deal, so now needs to pay the price.
Lamberts payoff on 11:47 - Jan 24 with 3871 viewsstopmoaning

He has been paid off by clubs a bunch of times, he is already a multi millionaire, I don’t think him not wanting to leave is anything but pride.

He would also get another job lower down if he really wanted to.
Lamberts payoff on 12:14 - Jan 24 with 3807 viewsTieDyedIn95

You shouldn't have done that.

He would work wonders at Celtic.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Lamberts payoff on 12:31 - Jan 24 with 3766 viewsRadlett_blue

Lamberts payoff on 11:29 - Jan 24 by southnorfolkblue

That would depend on the contract. You’re effectively talking about putting him on garden leave. That needs to be written into the contract. I’m not sure that a new manager would want him lurking around in the background, so it is more likely that he would be sacked and given a pay off

While Evans has generally been incompetent in football matters, you would think that even he wouldn't have been so terminally stupid as to give a failing football manager a 5 year contract without a reasonably affordable break clause. However, presumably he will also have to pay off Taylor & Gill, although I wouldn't expect them to have huge contracts. Evans's style has been only to pull the trigger when someone looks like taking Town down & I would be surprised if anything happened until near the end of the season, when there will be huge upheaval among the playing squad.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Lamberts payoff on 12:41 - Jan 24 with 3736 viewsTieDyedIn95

Lamberts payoff on 12:31 - Jan 24 by Radlett_blue

While Evans has generally been incompetent in football matters, you would think that even he wouldn't have been so terminally stupid as to give a failing football manager a 5 year contract without a reasonably affordable break clause. However, presumably he will also have to pay off Taylor & Gill, although I wouldn't expect them to have huge contracts. Evans's style has been only to pull the trigger when someone looks like taking Town down & I would be surprised if anything happened until near the end of the season, when there will be huge upheaval among the playing squad.

It will also be cheaper to get rid of him then I suspect.

If it's end of season then Nigel Clough needs to be our next appointment. He'll have done his job at Mansfield then - he's our man, I will keep saying it. Nigel Clough will get the right players in, can work on a worse budget than ours and unlike most of the names touted on here has actually got a team out of this division before.... Burton.

We've had the dross, it's time for the Clough.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Lamberts payoff on 14:16 - Jan 24 with 3588 viewsistanblue

Can't Evans just put him and his coaching staff on gardening leave until their contracts expire? Genuine idea.
Lamberts payoff on 14:25 - Jan 24 with 3548 viewsMedwayTractor

Lamberts payoff on 12:41 - Jan 24 by TieDyedIn95

It will also be cheaper to get rid of him then I suspect.

If it's end of season then Nigel Clough needs to be our next appointment. He'll have done his job at Mansfield then - he's our man, I will keep saying it. Nigel Clough will get the right players in, can work on a worse budget than ours and unlike most of the names touted on here has actually got a team out of this division before.... Burton.

We've had the dross, it's time for the Clough.

Someone suggested Clough not so long ago, this was my response then:

"Nigel Clough played all his club football in the north/midlands & you could throw a single decent sized OS map of Notts/Derbyshire/S Yorks over all four of the clubs he has managed.

Apart from the obvious conclusion that he is very much a northerner (therefore quite likely to require a hefty financial incentive to come to PR, his managerial CV is surprisingly bare of silverware for someone with such a football pedigree.

Also, the other manager we've had who started his playing career under 'Ol Big Ed wasn't exactly a roaring success for us, was he?"

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Lamberts payoff on 14:37 - Jan 24 with 3485 viewsPhilTWTD

Lamberts payoff on 14:16 - Jan 24 by istanblue

Can't Evans just put him and his coaching staff on gardening leave until their contracts expire? Genuine idea.

PL's contract has just under four years to run. There will be clauses which allow it to be settled for much less than that. I was told at the time that if he was sacked within the first two years then he would be due the full two years' wages. Not had that confirmed but sounds a not unlikely scenario.
Lamberts payoff on 14:47 - Jan 24 with 3413 viewstractordownsouth

Lamberts payoff on 14:37 - Jan 24 by PhilTWTD

PL's contract has just under four years to run. There will be clauses which allow it to be settled for much less than that. I was told at the time that if he was sacked within the first two years then he would be due the full two years' wages. Not had that confirmed but sounds a not unlikely scenario.

Do you think there's any chance of the trigger being pulled while we still have a mathematical chance of the top 6?

Lamberts payoff on 14:51 - Jan 24 with 3396 viewsPhilTWTD

Lamberts payoff on 14:47 - Jan 24 by tractordownsouth

Do you think there's any chance of the trigger being pulled while we still have a mathematical chance of the top 6?

Yes, ME will want to wait until that point, too important to go up this season. I don't think it's far off.
Lamberts payoff on 15:06 - Jan 24 with 3319 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Lamberts payoff on 14:51 - Jan 24 by PhilTWTD

Yes, ME will want to wait until that point, too important to go up this season. I don't think it's far off.

Out of interest, do you usually know when a manager has been sacked? Like given the word so you can write up an article? I seem to remember the Hurst one being a surprise to most.
Lamberts payoff on 15:30 - Jan 24 with 3261 viewsbobbyramsey

Lamberts payoff on 14:51 - Jan 24 by PhilTWTD

You little tease.....;)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024