Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I never knew this about that word/phrase 14:47 - Jan 26 with 6716 viewsKeno

Did anyone else?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/bbc-laura-kuenssberg-nitty-gritty-b900886.htm

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 14:54 - Jan 26 with 2654 viewsGuthrum

I wasn't aware it had anything to do with the slave trade. Doesn't ring true for me.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 14:57 - Jan 26 with 2638 viewsDarth_Koont

Laura Kuenssberg, BBC Political Editor?

Apparently it means she’s there to cover politics as a public service, but there’s a fair bit of disagreement among the experts on that.

“Breathless fan girl who does way more harm than good” is probably the most commonly accepted definition.

Pronouns: He/Him

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:27 - Jan 26 with 2548 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:28 - Jan 26 with 2557 viewsghostofescobar

My wife worked for Northants Police in the late 90's. They were massively pc and all employees were told in no uncertain terms back then that this phrase had slave trade connections and should never, ever be used.

GhostOfEscobar

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:35 - Jan 26 with 2521 viewsmonytowbray

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:28 - Jan 26 by ghostofescobar

My wife worked for Northants Police in the late 90's. They were massively pc and all employees were told in no uncertain terms back then that this phrase had slave trade connections and should never, ever be used.

Today TWTD learned something, me included.

Let's embrace it and grow rather than having some kind of right wing cancel culture denial fest.

*post not aimed at anyone in thread at present*

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:43 - Jan 26 with 2478 viewsGlasgowBlue

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:47 - Jan 26 with 2458 viewsFoD_Blue

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:35 - Jan 26 by monytowbray

Today TWTD learned something, me included.

Let's embrace it and grow rather than having some kind of right wing cancel culture denial fest.

*post not aimed at anyone in thread at present*

I'm sorry I'm not sure what I am supposed to have learnt?

Is it from the BBC website:

"But language researcher Gary Martin, of the phrases.org.uk website, investigated the expression and said: “There is no evidence to support the suggestion that ‘nitty-gritty’ has any connection with slave ships."

Or is it that Northants Police banned the use of it in the late '90s.

Today's TWTD lesson doesn't seem to be very clear.
I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:50 - Jan 26 with 2438 viewsmonytowbray

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:47 - Jan 26 by FoD_Blue

I'm sorry I'm not sure what I am supposed to have learnt?

Is it from the BBC website:

"But language researcher Gary Martin, of the phrases.org.uk website, investigated the expression and said: “There is no evidence to support the suggestion that ‘nitty-gritty’ has any connection with slave ships."

Or is it that Northants Police banned the use of it in the late '90s.

Today's TWTD lesson doesn't seem to be very clear.

I didn't realise people were incapable of using Google alongside reading TWTD.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=is+ntty+gritty+racist

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:52 - Jan 26 with 2440 viewsGavTWTD

I've used it loads but didn't know the origins. Every day is a school day and will make every attempt not to use it again.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:52 - Jan 26 with 2427 viewsmonytowbray

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:52 - Jan 26 by GavTWTD

I've used it loads but didn't know the origins. Every day is a school day and will make every attempt not to use it again.

TWTD never forgets…

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:58 - Jan 26 with 2411 viewsFoD_Blue

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:50 - Jan 26 by monytowbray

So it's Ok to use it then!

The google search throws up a few random results, but rather than just open and believe the first result, I decided to look at one that looks to be a creditable resource for information:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/nitty-gritty.html

"There is no evidence to support the suggestion that 'nitty-gritty' has any connection with slave ships. It probably originated in the USA as an African-American expression, but that's as near as it gets to slavery. It isn't recorded in print until the 1930s, long after slave ships had disappeared, and none of the early references make any link to slavery."

So what was the lesson again, maybe this time without trying to patronise!
I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:02 - Jan 26 with 2391 viewsGavTWTD

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:52 - Jan 26 by monytowbray

There does seem to be some debate about the origins and some doubt about its racism, but that's not for me to decide.

https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-nit2.htm

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:02 - Jan 26 with 2387 viewsDarth_Koont

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:52 - Jan 26 by GavTWTD

The origins don’t look that clear. But that’s academic now if the context has changed and that connection to slavery is inferred.

On a side note, it’s now a great example to show that language is living and very human, rather than having meanings set in stone.

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:04 - Jan 26 with 2373 viewsmonytowbray

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:58 - Jan 26 by FoD_Blue

So it's Ok to use it then!

The google search throws up a few random results, but rather than just open and believe the first result, I decided to look at one that looks to be a creditable resource for information:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/nitty-gritty.html

"There is no evidence to support the suggestion that 'nitty-gritty' has any connection with slave ships. It probably originated in the USA as an African-American expression, but that's as near as it gets to slavery. It isn't recorded in print until the 1930s, long after slave ships had disappeared, and none of the early references make any link to slavery."

So what was the lesson again, maybe this time without trying to patronise!

Looks like a reliable source? Okay, please tell us why that site has more authority as a factual statement than any other page on the internet.

EDIT: Just so show you how sources and reliability work, would you like to tell me how long it's been since said post was edited?

https://web.archive.org/web/20061206205804/ http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/nitty-gritty.html

2006. Your reliable source is 14 years out of date minimum potentially.

I will be patronising to people who lack critical thinking and the ability to research things. Apologies. It's not me it's you.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 17:07]

TWTD never forgets…

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:05 - Jan 26 with 2367 viewsGavTWTD

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 16:50 - Jan 26 by monytowbray

Let's learn together and demonstrate again we're more than a football site.

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:09 - Jan 26 with 2337 viewsmonytowbray

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:05 - Jan 26 by GavTWTD

I try my best but honestly, after 6 years of Brexit/Trump nonsense my patience slips with the general population's ability to use their brain to find reality.

It's not personal, just business. I know you're just trying to keep things calm also so Phil doesn't lose more hair :)

TWTD never forgets…

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:11 - Jan 26 with 2334 viewsFoD_Blue

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:04 - Jan 26 by monytowbray

Looks like a reliable source? Okay, please tell us why that site has more authority as a factual statement than any other page on the internet.

EDIT: Just so show you how sources and reliability work, would you like to tell me how long it's been since said post was edited?

https://web.archive.org/web/20061206205804/ http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/nitty-gritty.html

2006. Your reliable source is 14 years out of date minimum potentially.

I will be patronising to people who lack critical thinking and the ability to research things. Apologies. It's not me it's you.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 17:07]

I'm happy to be educated, so what is your reliable source that has led you to your reasoning then please?
I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:13 - Jan 26 with 2309 viewsmonytowbray

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:11 - Jan 26 by FoD_Blue

I'm happy to be educated, so what is your reliable source that has led you to your reasoning then please?

Expert opinion on historic matters and context.

But alas, I'm not the one who needs to be deflecting a question to begin with.

Life is so much easier if you don't double down about trivial matters that have no impact on your life beyond making living beings more tolerable to each other.

TWTD never forgets…

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:33 - Jan 26 with 2240 viewsazuremerlangus

So now it appears, without any definitive evidence, that what everyone thought was just a saying to mean the important nub of an issue is now a potentially racist comment? Further more, we now have the situation where people are going to get offended who were not before, and by people who didn't mean to offend in the first place.

I can almost hear the South Park script writers scribbling notes for the next series (sorry,' season')

Sorry, rant over (bad day at the office - which is currently my kitchen)
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 17:45]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:38 - Jan 26 with 2209 viewslowhouseblue

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:33 - Jan 26 by azuremerlangus

So now it appears, without any definitive evidence, that what everyone thought was just a saying to mean the important nub of an issue is now a potentially racist comment? Further more, we now have the situation where people are going to get offended who were not before, and by people who didn't mean to offend in the first place.

I can almost hear the South Park script writers scribbling notes for the next series (sorry,' season')

but, the twtd hive mind has prevailed. research has been done and no evidence of any link to slavery has been found. in fact they've been into the nitty gritty of it and there doesn't appear to be a real issue at all. phew. panic over.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:39 - Jan 26 with 2193 viewsmonytowbray

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:38 - Jan 26 by lowhouseblue

but, the twtd hive mind has prevailed. research has been done and no evidence of any link to slavery has been found. in fact they've been into the nitty gritty of it and there doesn't appear to be a real issue at all. phew. panic over.

Glad to see you weigh in with your classic racism enabling take whilst clearly without much thought or research on the matter.

TWTD never forgets…

This is a football site??? (n/t) on 17:43 - Jan 26 with 2167 viewsBloots

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:05 - Jan 26 by GavTWTD

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Classic TWTD. (n/t) on 17:44 - Jan 26 with 2167 viewsBloots

AKA - "Elite Pete"

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:48 - Jan 26 with 2148 viewsDarth_Koont

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:33 - Jan 26 by azuremerlangus

You can still use the word if you want.

But if, for whatever reason however unclear, some people connect it to racism then you’re making a choice that what you want to say and how you want to say it is more important than what others read or hear.

Not sure that’s the best way of looking at language and communication. I thing it’s more on the receiver’s terms.

Also, we should understand that words and meanings change and evolve for all sorts of reasons – and even sometimes for no reason at all.

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:48 - Jan 26 with 2148 viewsfactual_blue

I never knew this about that word/phrase on 17:02 - Jan 26 by Darth_Koont

The origins don’t look that clear. But that’s academic now if the context has changed and that connection to slavery is inferred.

On a side note, it’s now a great example to show that language is living and very human, rather than having meanings set in stone.

The point about etymology is that it doesn't change. A word that is Latin in origin, for example, will always be Latin in origin.

Clearly origins of a phrase like 'nitty-gritty' are less clear, but the evidence for it being derived from the slave trade seems slim.

It's rather like phrases derived from the navy; most of them aren't.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024