Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kenlock 20:38 - Feb 6 with 3833 viewsnshearman1

I believe it was Kenlock today who unlocked Judge and sent him and us on the way to our win. He's been playing really well for several games now, but he's a classic example of a younger player given a huge amount of stick on here when he's been struggling. We really should lay off these younger guys, because ultimately the reason why they're not playing well is down to the Manager. I recall Herb referring to him in damning terms as 'not a professional player'.Well, he's not the greatest player in the world but recently he's been a distinct improvement on the vastly more experienced Ward. Not bad for an amateur.
Kenlock on 08:59 - Feb 8 with 458 viewsJuggsy

Although his legs have gone, perhaps he's learning from Ward at LB. Fingers crossed.
Kenlock on 10:19 - Feb 8 with 430 viewsclive_baker

Kenlock on 23:43 - Feb 7 by chrismakin

Prime example of why we shouldn't get too excited about yesturday

That ball from Kaikai was awful, that's the ball that weekly gets past us, and again we left a load of space behind Mcguiness for blackpool to aim for, exactly why we can't get too carried away yet, how would we have done HAD that ball got through and Blackpool scored from it........ that's the key

Certainly got a little lucky with that one. They're breaking in our half and our left back was pretty much on the half way line. Damn good job MM intercepted the ball, but hey, you could make a case for or against any goal to be fair, we deserved the win.

The whole still isn't equalling the sum of the parts though, which is ominous for when we play the better sides. It seems like we're hoping against the lesser sides at this level that we can afford to be at 80%, as our squad is at least 25% better on paper. It frustrates me so much as to what could have been had we got a competent management team. We could and should be top 2.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Kenlock on 10:28 - Feb 8 with 410 viewstractorboy1978

Kenlock on 10:19 - Feb 8 by clive_baker

Certainly got a little lucky with that one. They're breaking in our half and our left back was pretty much on the half way line. Damn good job MM intercepted the ball, but hey, you could make a case for or against any goal to be fair, we deserved the win.

The whole still isn't equalling the sum of the parts though, which is ominous for when we play the better sides. It seems like we're hoping against the lesser sides at this level that we can afford to be at 80%, as our squad is at least 25% better on paper. It frustrates me so much as to what could have been had we got a competent management team. We could and should be top 2.

I didn't think the first 40 mins or so was markedly different to other performances this season. The difference was that we got the goal before half time rather than being the ones conceding first. Getting ahead makes the game so much simpler, the onus was on them to come on to us second half and naturally with the type of players we have, we look better when the game opens up.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 10:36]
Kenlock on 10:40 - Feb 8 with 396 viewsitfcjoe

Kenlock on 10:28 - Feb 8 by tractorboy1978

I didn't think the first 40 mins or so was markedly different to other performances this season. The difference was that we got the goal before half time rather than being the ones conceding first. Getting ahead makes the game so much simpler, the onus was on them to come on to us second half and naturally with the type of players we have, we look better when the game opens up.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 10:36]

That's basically it, scoring the 2nd so soon after half time really helped too as they had nothing up front and were unable to get back into the game whilsthvaing to commit to try to.

Was your bog standard close L1 game, we just edged it with the goals and then were comfortable.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kenlock on 10:51 - Feb 8 with 388 viewsWallingford_Boy

Kenlock on 13:46 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

"As they say, if they are good enough, they are old enough."

Kenlock is 24 years old.

He's certainly played better the last two games though, hopefully it will continue.

SB
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 13:47]

Hardly a youngster anymore! But picking Ward "because he is experienced" isn't enough really.

The back four is very young, BUT with older heads around them in the dressing room, which is where Chambers and Ward are still valuable, who says they can't go on and become the regular defensive unit?

Plus Woolfenden has had a good 2.5 seasons of first team football in the bank now, so not quite the kid we sometimes think.

RIP Sir Bobby

Kenlock on 10:52 - Feb 8 with 388 viewsWickets

Over the last couple of years Miles most probably has the best win percentage at the club !
Kenlock on 11:48 - Feb 8 with 365 viewsjayessess

Kenlock on 08:54 - Feb 8 by Herbivore

They should do. The issue with Kenlock is that, prior to these last two more encouraging appearances, he hasn't really shown much sign of improvement since making his debut at 17/18. He's played 70+ games for Town including a couple of sustained runs in the side, he's 24 and can't really be considered a raw rookie anymore. That doesn't mean he can't or won't improve but it needs to start showing and he needs to sustain these better performances.

Having now seen the highlights from the game at the weekend, one Blackpool chance in the first half came from a misplaced Kenlock pass inside his own half and immediately prior to us scoring they really ought to have been in on goal in Kenlock's channel with him caught high up the pitch but for a poor pass allowing McGuiness to intercept. Great that he got the assist for Judge, but we were a straightforward pass away from possibly going 1-0 down seconds before. There's still lots for him to work on but hopefully this time if he gets more of a run of games he'll show more improvement and start to nail down a place in the side.

Well, 24 to 29 is supposedly when footballers peak, so hopefully we'll start seeing it from now. I don't think it's helped that his flaws have been exaggerated at times. I think we've a tendency to just split into 2 camps into young players. By age 21-22 upwards they're either a useless competition winner or an absolute baller, without much in between. You can see it a bit with Dozzell and Woolfenden's ups and downs in form too.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Kenlock on 12:02 - Feb 8 with 355 viewsitfcjoe

Kenlock on 11:48 - Feb 8 by jayessess

Well, 24 to 29 is supposedly when footballers peak, so hopefully we'll start seeing it from now. I don't think it's helped that his flaws have been exaggerated at times. I think we've a tendency to just split into 2 camps into young players. By age 21-22 upwards they're either a useless competition winner or an absolute baller, without much in between. You can see it a bit with Dozzell and Woolfenden's ups and downs in form too.

40 years ago he'd just be a player seen as a long term back up, would stay at the club 81-0 years and play 100 games or so, and never really let us down.

That sort of player isn't allowed to exist any more, they either have to be the next big thing, or not good enough - he's perfectly serviceable as a left back, if he played every game between now and May we aren't going to struggle because of it alone

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Kenlock on 12:08 - Feb 8 with 348 viewsclive_baker

Kenlock on 11:48 - Feb 8 by jayessess

I think he's probably just a half decent player at this level, I'm not sure there's much more to it than that. Is he going to play in the Premier League one day? Almost certainly not. Will he forge a career in the Championship as anything more than a bit part? Unlikely. Is he good enough for a side in L1 or L2? Probably. See also Donacien, Elder, Garbutt in recent years. They're cut from the same cloth, and it's as much about confidence and management as anything at that stage.

He'll make mistakes, he's imperfect, he's got areas he needs to improve especially defensively, and he'll have good games and less good games, but you tend to get what you pay for. He looks every bit a 3rd tier footballer, and probably always has done. No more, no less IMO. There's no shame in that, and I'm not sure there's much more to it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Kenlock on 13:57 - Feb 8 with 307 viewsjayessess

Kenlock on 12:08 - Feb 8 by clive_baker

I think he's probably just a half decent player at this level, I'm not sure there's much more to it than that. Is he going to play in the Premier League one day? Almost certainly not. Will he forge a career in the Championship as anything more than a bit part? Unlikely. Is he good enough for a side in L1 or L2? Probably. See also Donacien, Elder, Garbutt in recent years. They're cut from the same cloth, and it's as much about confidence and management as anything at that stage.

He'll make mistakes, he's imperfect, he's got areas he needs to improve especially defensively, and he'll have good games and less good games, but you tend to get what you pay for. He looks every bit a 3rd tier footballer, and probably always has done. No more, no less IMO. There's no shame in that, and I'm not sure there's much more to it.

It is also where having a coach who manages players well, puts them in a system that works, does detailed work to turn them into well-rounded footballers, comes into its own. Sadly...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Kenlock on 14:01 - Feb 8 with 303 viewsWallingford_Boy

Kenlock on 12:02 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

40 years ago he'd just be a player seen as a long term back up, would stay at the club 81-0 years and play 100 games or so, and never really let us down.

That sort of player isn't allowed to exist any more, they either have to be the next big thing, or not good enough - he's perfectly serviceable as a left back, if he played every game between now and May we aren't going to struggle because of it alone

I think at our level, being "perfectly serviceable" is fine and most clubs have plenty of players at that level. But you are right, there does seem to be increased pressure now to be "something special", especially at higher levels.

Would James Milner make it now if he was just trying to break into a Prem side at 18?!

I doubt it.

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024