Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vegetarianism and veganism 18:56 - Feb 24 with 5450 viewsSwansea_Blue

I genuinely believe we need to break down the stigma around these. I’m convinced they are better both for us, animals (obviously) and the environment. Particularly I think we need to challenge the ‘macho’ view around eating meat, as let’s face it that’s a load of balls; it’s not as if we’ve gone out and hunted it at great risk to ourselves.

Having said that, we’re having fillet steak tonight. And I’m really looking forward to it . A little bit of mixed spice on it, triple cooked chips and some petit poi’s (or as we say post-Brexit little peas). Lush.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 23:24 - Feb 24 with 583 viewsjeera

Vegetarianism and veganism on 22:35 - Feb 24 by eireblue

BTW, on the food chain thing, humans are not on top of the food chain.

I usually cite an article on that, but I wanted to try an analogy.

Imagine some animals all equi-distant from each other, a hungry lion, a hungry hyena, a gazelle, and you.

What you may wonder, as the gazelle is bouncing away, and you are being shared between a couple of real top cats and dogs, is that maybe, even gazelles are further up the food chain than humans.

In reality, that doesn't happen very often in Suffolk.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 23:30 - Feb 24 with 575 viewseireblue

Vegetarianism and veganism on 23:24 - Feb 24 by jeera

In reality, that doesn't happen very often in Suffolk.

Yea, that’s true, plenty of ham sandwiches left out, so yea, they probably wouldn’t be that hungry.
Vegetarianism and veganism on 23:40 - Feb 24 with 565 viewsStokieBlue

Vegetarianism and veganism on 22:35 - Feb 24 by eireblue

BTW, on the food chain thing, humans are not on top of the food chain.

I usually cite an article on that, but I wanted to try an analogy.

Imagine some animals all equi-distant from each other, a hungry lion, a hungry hyena, a gazelle, and you.

What you may wonder, as the gazelle is bouncing away, and you are being shared between a couple of real top cats and dogs, is that maybe, even gazelles are further up the food chain than humans.

Not read the thread but did click on the final page and this point is interesting. I may have missed some previous context though. I believe I know the article you are refencing although it's back from about 2013?

Whilst your point is entirely correct for a human as evolved by nature I don't believe it holds when intelligence and pack society is taken into account otherwise our ancestors would never have had the numbers to thrive in the way they did.

So a lone biological human is a long way down the food chain as you rightly point but if you add the products of society, intelligence and engineering to that, then a human with a machine gun is somewhere right near the very top.

Not that I believe this has anything to do with any debate on vegetarianism, it's more a scientific and evolutionary aside. Hard to argue against the fact that we all should eat more vegetables and less meat, me included.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vegetarianism and veganism on 02:38 - Feb 25 with 534 viewsRyorry

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:11 - Feb 24 by gtsb1966

I could never go vegan simply because I love eggs and cheese. Nothing, absolutely nothing can imitate real cheese.

These do - I honestly can't tell the difference between them & the dairy equivalents -

https://www.thevegankindsupermarket.com/p/vbites-white-cheddar-style-cheezly-190

https://www.thevegankindsupermarket.com/p/vbites-cheezly-blue-style-190g

This is the best soya milk I've found - great in tea (available from some supermarkets too)

https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/provamel-organic-bio-soya-natural-12-x-1l/11

I shop online from both the above stores regularly, both are excellent & recommended.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vegetarianism and veganism on 02:45 - Feb 25 with 533 viewsRyorry

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:42 - Feb 24 by DanTheMan

I was doing very well recently, almost no meat.

The I got put on this bloody diet (not a weight loss one, one for health) and it's all gone out the window.

The list of things I'm not allowed to eat is absolutely insane. The two biggest killers are no onion or garlic at all, then pretty much all beans and things like that are out.

Lots of other vegetables out.

Absolute nightmare.

Why does a healthy diet prohibit onions and garlic? I mean I can imagine anyone close to you objecting on the grounds of wind and/or 'odours', but health .. 🤔

(Sorry, just curious!)

Vegetarianism and veganism on 03:05 - Feb 25 with 526 viewsNewcyBlue

Vegetarianism and veganism on 02:45 - Feb 25 by Ryorry

Why does a healthy diet prohibit onions and garlic? I mean I can imagine anyone close to you objecting on the grounds of wind and/or 'odours', but health .. 🤔

(Sorry, just curious!)

My guess is that Dan is a on a low FODMAP diet due to a gluten intolerance.

FODMAPs are a poorly absorbed, short chain carbohydrate that usually pull more water into the gut.

Garlic and Onion are both high FODMAP food.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 03:09 - Feb 25 with 525 viewsRyorry

Vegetarianism and veganism on 20:51 - Feb 24 by theipswichfile

I think the logical answer a lot of people would give you is that humans are omnivorous by nature. Therefore we could choose to eat meat, or choose not to. We are capable of choice and so I suppose most people would say that unless that choice is outright restricted, either choice is valid.

The wider point you make about the earth, about the conveyor-belt style of slaughterhouses and dairies and all of the nefarious things that go on in a society where we eat far too much meat are all completely valid and I absolutely back the thought process behind them.

If none of that existed and the overproduction of meat was not an issue and the earth was essentially in a state of nature, would you take issue with someone hunting a deer in the same way a bear hunts for salmon? None of the rampant consumerism, none of the environmental harm, just natural subsistence - is that problematic to you? Is the issue not more the way that we go about consuming animal products more than the actual act of consuming said animal products?

I'm not being intentionally facetious or trying to pull a 'gotcha' moment out, I just genuinely want to know

Nothing like a nice bit of roadkill - btw in the case of pheasants, it's illegal to take & cook it if you're the one that ran it over - but perfectly legal to do so if you're in the car behind ;)

Do agree about factory farming being monstrous, and the need for humans to dramatically reduce meat production on environmental grounds. The enforced closure of very small local slaughterhouses was a really bad move from the animals' point of view too - the large ones that are now left are far more stressful for them, esp so for pigs. I've stopped eating pork partly for that reason. As you say, we can all make individual choices, and they don't have to be all or nothing. - I'll eat culled wild venison & grass-fed beef occasionally, plus a bit of organically kept chicken more rarely.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 09:26 - Feb 25 with 481 viewseireblue

Vegetarianism and veganism on 23:40 - Feb 24 by StokieBlue

Not read the thread but did click on the final page and this point is interesting. I may have missed some previous context though. I believe I know the article you are refencing although it's back from about 2013?

Whilst your point is entirely correct for a human as evolved by nature I don't believe it holds when intelligence and pack society is taken into account otherwise our ancestors would never have had the numbers to thrive in the way they did.

So a lone biological human is a long way down the food chain as you rightly point but if you add the products of society, intelligence and engineering to that, then a human with a machine gun is somewhere right near the very top.

Not that I believe this has anything to do with any debate on vegetarianism, it's more a scientific and evolutionary aside. Hard to argue against the fact that we all should eat more vegetables and less meat, me included.

SB

Yep, higher up the intelligence and technology chain, but your actual food chain, we are at the same level as ....the animal used for bacon.

In the future, advanced cyber enhanced mammals, will debate if avocado fed humans are better to eat than factory cloned humans, especially the yummy small ones.

My money is still on the Hyena. Hyenas are sneaky f**kers, the gazelle would be long gone, as soon as the shooting started, the hyena would let the lion charge down the human, letting it get shot, then munch down.

See, I have thought this all through, that wasn’t just an off the cuff analogy, this was an analogy percolated by lockdown three.
Login to get fewer ads

Vegetarianism and veganism on 09:29 - Feb 25 with 479 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vegetarianism and veganism on 03:05 - Feb 25 by NewcyBlue

FODMAPs are a poorly absorbed, short chain carbohydrate that usually pull more water into the gut.

Ah. I used to know someone who's migraines were triggered by onions. Who knew they could be such troublesome little sods?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 09:34 - Feb 25 with 475 viewsartsbossbeard

Been veggie now for well over a year and it's no biggy really and a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I'm not one to get preachy about it - it really is each to their own but I'd recommend following PETA on instagram/twitter for daily reminders as to why eating plants is the way forward.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 10:18 - Feb 25 with 453 viewsipswich78

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:03 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

What are you using the milk for?

Oat milk on cereal is excellent.

WIth you on Oat Milk especially the 'barrsta' version as it's very creamy. Basically tastes like porridge without any oats.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 10:55 - Feb 25 with 426 viewsRyorry

Vegetarianism and veganism on 03:05 - Feb 25 by NewcyBlue

Ah, thanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024