Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook 01:16 - Mar 1 with 5263 viewspointofblue

His favourite formation is 4-2-3-1 (joy) and he gets snippy with the media.

“There can be no disputing that Paul Cook is a good manager. After all, he won Portsmouth the League Two title by sticking to his principles and winning games in the right manner. However, it should be remembered that he delivered this league title when Pompey were favourites to win the division on goal difference from Plymouth and including an inexplicable collapse by Doncaster who lost all four of their final matches when they required just one.

Cook will have your team playing attractive, possession football and his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation means that the back four are well protected whilst the attacking midfield trio are free to attack and create chances for the lone striker. He is also an excellent motivator as rarely did Pompey lose more than a single consecutive game under his management and any bad performance was usually followed by a good one.

His record in the transfer market was mixed. He has the eye for a quality player as proved in his first season with the Blues as he virtually rebuilt a poor squad and moulded it into a good one with signings like Christian Burgess, Enda Stevens and Gareth Evans proving to be shrewd. However, his second season saw him sign many players who either couldn’t get into the team or had their stays abruptly ended by either having their contracts terminated or being shipped out on loan. Milan Lalkovic must be secretly delighted that Cook has gone.

The negatives of Cook’s management is that whilst Plan A can work extremely well, he doesn’t have a Plan B. His stubborn attitude meant he would rarely stray from his 4-2-3-1 formation and when he did, the results and performances were worse! He also struggles to work out how to break down teams that will “park the bus” and play for a draw on home turf. Thus, you should prepare yourselves for grating post-match interview soundbytes such as “All credit to Shrewsbury, they’re an excellent team and had a gameplan which stopped us scoring. We go again next week.”

Whilst he may be good enough to get a squad of Wigan’s quality back up to the Championship, there is a feeling amongst people that he isn’t tactically smart enough or indeed professional enough to succeed at a higher level.

Cook also seems to struggle under pressure as he felt the heat with 16,000 expectant Pompey fans constantly scrutinising him as he occasionally lashed out at the media whilst having indirect digs at them. The crowds at the DW Stadium may be half the size of what he was used to at Fratton Park, but the expectation will be exactly he same and he may well feel the heat if the Latics fans aren’t happy with performances next season.

In a nutshell, it should speak volumes that the reaction of Pompey fans is anger at the manner he left rather than any kind of sorrow that the event even took place. He’s a good manager but there are arguably even better bosses that Portsmouth can attract to replace him with Kenny Jackett rumoured to take his place.”

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2017/06/01/a-portsmouth-fans-view-of-paul-cook/

His away record in the Championship was horrific too though Wigan finished safe in mid table, point wise.

He probably is the best manager available but then I thought that of Hurst too. I want to say he can’t be worse than Lambert and certainly his recent record decrees he won’t be (if he does come) but some concerning reading there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 09:39 - Mar 1 with 697 viewsMrTown

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:51 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

Shame we don't have a vacancy, what with there being no way that Lambert is going any time soon........

Thank god you showed him the red card, think that was the one that really drove him out.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:31 - Mar 1 with 650 viewsHerbivore

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 09:39 - Mar 1 by MrTown

Thank god you showed him the red card, think that was the one that really drove him out.

Tell us the one again about Lambert going nowhere, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:35 - Mar 1 with 639 viewsStokieBlue

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:46 - Mar 1 by Wallingford_Boy

You don’t think it’s realistic to get Cowley?!

Best out there by a country mile.

Based on what?

I know evidence isn't your strong point (see a large number of posts about Jackson) but you need to back that up with something.

For instance, Cook has won 3 with 3 different clubs with the EFL and has done well everywhere he has been for the last decade.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:41 - Mar 1 with 625 viewsSimonds92

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 09:05 - Mar 1 by theipswichfile

I'm not criticising anyone who has him as their preferred choice, what I am criticising is the notion that he is the perfect man for the job. His name has been doing the rounds for months, as if he is the magic man that will solve all our problems. Like I said, not my first choice but I have no problem with him coming in. Maybe in your haste to jump down others' throats you could actually take the time to read what has been said.

You're not worth talking to, it seems like your whole initiative is to create aggression where there is none - I'm just making a point that SOME not ALL have made out he is God's gift to management. He has the best record of the available candidates, and will probably be hired, but that does not make him my first choice.

Can't wait to see you jump down someone else's throat on the next thread where you feel like being a dick. I'm out.

Genuinely out of interest is it impossible for him to be the messiah if he's not your first choice ? or do you believe that your first choice is indeed the messiah?
As you previously mentioned he is 5he standout candidate. Im not sure who else we could attract. My first choice would have been Lee Johnson but in classic ITFC style we dithered. I think he's more of a fit for us than he is Sunderland. With that being said, the next best available manager would be Paul Cook. I have no idea who else would be a good fit at this time other than having a caretaker until the end of the season and seeing where we are. I still think if we did that PC would still be the best manager we could get even if we get promoted.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:43 - Mar 1 with 622 viewsmattrolow

I was there on the day that Pompey won the League Two title at Meadow Lane and they were a really good team.
Not only that, but it was clear the relationship he had with the players and that is what we need the most.
We have quality in this squad, enough quality to go up, we need someone to bring that all together and not just with tactics.
I know it's easy for things to look good when they're going well but from that day I've followed what he's done and I've said for a long time that he would be perfect for what we need and I really hope he does come in.
He's more relatable, hasn't played or managed big clubs and will just get on with the job. Perfect time to build some momentum.
COYB!
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:44 - Mar 1 with 615 viewsLamp

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:35 - Mar 1 by StokieBlue

Based on what?

I know evidence isn't your strong point (see a large number of posts about Jackson) but you need to back that up with something.

For instance, Cook has won 3 with 3 different clubs with the EFL and has done well everywhere he has been for the last decade.

SB

Paul Cook has also had offers from Championship clubs whereas the Cowleys haven't.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:54 - Mar 1 with 577 viewsRadlett_blue

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:49 - Mar 1 by pointofblue

Except for his away record in the Championship, agree. Quite frankly I think we’ll take promotion, 18th, 13th at this point.

That's the point. Unless we luck out with a Chris Wilder type appointment, which takes us up through 2 divisions, I think our expectations of a new manager would be someone who can get Town promoted next season, followed by 18th & then mid table. Then we would need to re-assess. On paper, Cook looks capable of doing so, but on paper, Keane, Jewell, Lambert & Hurst all had some success behind them.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 11:08 - Mar 1 with 549 viewsMonkeyAlan

I don't want Cook or the Cowboys. Neither are good enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 12:01 - Mar 1 with 502 viewscatch74

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:43 - Mar 1 by mattrolow

I was there on the day that Pompey won the League Two title at Meadow Lane and they were a really good team.
Not only that, but it was clear the relationship he had with the players and that is what we need the most.
We have quality in this squad, enough quality to go up, we need someone to bring that all together and not just with tactics.
I know it's easy for things to look good when they're going well but from that day I've followed what he's done and I've said for a long time that he would be perfect for what we need and I really hope he does come in.
He's more relatable, hasn't played or managed big clubs and will just get on with the job. Perfect time to build some momentum.
COYB!

My Pompey mate, backs up player relationship.

Rate him. Tbh him and kenny jackett are chalk and cheese. Very vocal, passionate and can work his players up we did get a fair few bookings under him though. Obviously winning league 2 with us was good but a lot of people look through rose tinted glasses toward him, they were truly awful at the start of the season and rumour has it he was one loss away from the sack. That said his team was enda stevens, matt clarke, jamal lowe, gary roberts, kal naismith, christian burgess so we should have walked the league from day one regardless and not nip it on the last 12 minutes of the season which was the only time we were top of the table. Likes to play 442 attacking using lb/ rb as more lwb / rwb and pacey wide midfielders. Dont expect instant results as at wigan he took his time to settle in same as at pompey and given we are now march id imagine his appointment is more focused on next season given a bit of money he will be decent i think, i think it was 4 players he took from pompey to go work with wigan with him so obviously has a good connection with his players.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 12:15 - Mar 1 with 473 viewsMrTown

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 10:31 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

Tell us the one again about Lambert going nowhere, mate.

I can't believe my opinions concern so many people.

I love that I'm living in your head.

I suppose I now have a fan club, right?

You are fan #1.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024