Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "New, new era" is going to be different..... 09:35 - Mar 1 with 1918 viewsBloots

....to what we've been used to, or at least what we've aspired to.

Obviously this is only my view.

We are moving firmly into the "Football Business" sector, rather than the "Football Club" that we, as fans are used to.

The business model from "The Consortium" will be: Buy, Restructure, Promote, Sell, Profit.

We need to accept that this will not be a long term project, in the short/medium term it will essentially be the same model that Evans tried, but the difference being that they will (hopefully) structure the Club better to achieve the same ultimate goal.

The appointment of managers will probably be on the same principles, if it is Cook his remit will be simple, get us out of this Division. Don't be surprised if we start seeing short term managers being tasked with specific "projects" and then binned if/when they achieve them.

Whoever the next manager is should be viewed as a transitional manager more than a long term solution.

You can probably say the same for "The Consortium".

Is this all a bad thing? Only time will tell.

But things are going to be very different, and that certainly isn't a bad thing.

Hold onto your hats!

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:42 - Mar 1 with 1580 viewsGuthrum

While we might be appalled at Watford's profligacy with managers, it hasn't served them too badly in terms of getting promoted and having a decent run in the Prem.

Heck, the US links might even lead to us recruiting some talent from over there (or ours going the other way).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bang on on 09:43 - Mar 1 with 1578 viewsunstableblue

We definitely need to get beyond the pretzels, suds and foot longs replacing the Portman pie yeeeeee-ha euphoria of recent times.... and hey why aren’t we allowed to celebrate change and the removal of a manager who had clearly completely lost the plot

But we have never not been run by people who are fans of the club... slate Marcus all you like (and his appalling manager and off pitch selection has been woeful and deserves massive criticism) he is a fan of the club and has pumped in cash mainly for that reason

There is no smoke without fire... and the Bristol City fans view of Ashton cannot be overlooked. My hope is that Ashton may click here and hand transfer and squad direction entirely to the manager

As you say hold on to your hats people

I’m just focussed on Tuesday night and hopeful continued improvement under Gill

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:45 - Mar 1 with 1549 viewschicoazul

Yep. I’ve beaten the drum about the Club Is Dead for years now but we aren’t going to see it come back now in its’ old form of Little Old Ipswich. It’s going to be run by utterly ruthless Americans and as anyone who has worked for the Americans knows success is a) clearly defined and b) everything.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:50 - Mar 1 with 1504 viewsMetal_Hacker

Think that's the long and short of it to be fair

The "industry" has changed and we haven't - rightly or wrongly

It'll be a different journey that's for sure but if it's to "make a profit" perhaps those decisions will be quicker and better in the long term

Not sure if it'll be fun BUT it'll be different

Poll: If it were one or the other

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:52 - Mar 1 with 1490 viewsGuthrum

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:45 - Mar 1 by chicoazul

Yep. I’ve beaten the drum about the Club Is Dead for years now but we aren’t going to see it come back now in its’ old form of Little Old Ipswich. It’s going to be run by utterly ruthless Americans and as anyone who has worked for the Americans knows success is a) clearly defined and b) everything.

I don't think the "Little Old Ipswich" model would be successful in the modern era anyway. Everything is too expensive, with money and effective spending a bigger overall, long-term influence than just picking a very talented manager (tho poor choice of the latter can cause disaster). Indeed, an outstanding coach is far more likely to be soon headhunted by a larger club than was the case historically.

We were somewhat punching above our weight in the 1970s and the ratio is tilted vastly more against us now.

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:55 - Mar 1 with 1453 viewsGuthrum

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:52 - Mar 1 by Guthrum

I don't think the "Little Old Ipswich" model would be successful in the modern era anyway. Everything is too expensive, with money and effective spending a bigger overall, long-term influence than just picking a very talented manager (tho poor choice of the latter can cause disaster). Indeed, an outstanding coach is far more likely to be soon headhunted by a larger club than was the case historically.

We were somewhat punching above our weight in the 1970s and the ratio is tilted vastly more against us now.

To some extent, we've been trying to do the "Little Old Ipswich" thing for most of the last decade, since Evans' fighting fund ran out. On several occasions the dice have rolled against us, but overall it's just proven too hard.

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:55 - Mar 1 with 1449 viewsm14_blue

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if in a few years time we’re all looking back and thinking BCWYWF.

However, right now I’m going to enjoy the ride and a little bit of hope with a fresh start both on and off the pitch.

Exciting times.
Your point about quicker decision making... on 09:56 - Mar 1 with 1420 viewsBloots

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:50 - Mar 1 by Metal_Hacker

Think that's the long and short of it to be fair

The "industry" has changed and we haven't - rightly or wrongly

It'll be a different journey that's for sure but if it's to "make a profit" perhaps those decisions will be quicker and better in the long term

Not sure if it'll be fun BUT it'll be different

...is really valid.

We've acted like a lumbering giant of a club, when we plainly were not.

Businesses can't waste time, we've wasted so much over the last 10 years.

New, new era.

Login to get fewer ads

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:59 - Mar 1 with 1399 viewsdavblue

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:55 - Mar 1 by Guthrum

To some extent, we've been trying to do the "Little Old Ipswich" thing for most of the last decade, since Evans' fighting fund ran out. On several occasions the dice have rolled against us, but overall it's just proven too hard.

We haven't maximised the money Evans has put in by him not getting good people around him. Our recruitment model looks dated as is much of the processes around the club.

We were always hoping we would go up rather than having a plan of how to go up.
Maybe, but we have to remember that.... on 10:01 - Mar 1 with 1382 viewsBloots

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 09:55 - Mar 1 by m14_blue

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if in a few years time we’re all looking back and thinking BCWYWF.

However, right now I’m going to enjoy the ride and a little bit of hope with a fresh start both on and off the pitch.

Exciting times.

...."The Consortium" can only succeed if the team succeeds.

Ultimately that's the crux of it.

So it's entirely in their interest that the team performs, which is all that (most) fans care about.

The only real issue is if they can couple on field success with off field community connections.

I'm more in the positive camp than the negative camp.

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:01 - Mar 1 with 1377 viewsBluefish

Completely agree old chap. Judging by how long these lot took to grasp Shambert, I fear for them in the whirlwind coming. For Marcus got wrong he was bloody good to the supporters and managers when it came to holding on to valuable players. That could all change

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:02 - Mar 1 with 1372 viewsRegencyBlue

Exciting times.

More of the same after 13 years of Evans was never going to work so bring it on I say.

At least the consortium seems to include people who know about football. Evans biggest mistake, amongst many, was thinking he could run the club himself and look where that's got us!
The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:03 - Mar 1 with 1358 viewsGuthrum

Exciting times.

BCWYWF is a lot less hurtful when we're upper-mid-table in the Championship having just failed to get re-promoted following a stint in the Prem, than languishing in the third tier for the first time in a 60 years.

Maybe, but we have to remember that.... on 10:03 - Mar 1 with 1352 viewsm14_blue

Maybe, but we have to remember that.... on 10:01 - Mar 1 by Bloots

So it's entirely in their interest that the team performs, which is all that (most) fans care about.

The only real issue is if they can couple on field success with off field community connections.

Absolutely.

The worry is what happens if the team doesn’t succeed though.
I suspect that pretty much everything.... on 10:05 - Mar 1 with 1339 viewsBloots

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:01 - Mar 1 by Bluefish

Completely agree old chap. Judging by how long these lot took to grasp Shambert, I fear for them in the whirlwind coming. For Marcus got wrong he was bloody good to the supporters and managers when it came to holding on to valuable players. That could all change

...will change.

The majority for the good, but some for the bad from a fans perspective.

As fans we are going to have to trust that the new powers are doing the right thing, even when we can't see it.

These people aren't Evans/Clegg/Milne/O'Neil

They should know what they are doing.

Your point about quicker decision making... on 10:06 - Mar 1 with 1334 viewsDubtractor

Your point about quicker decision making... on 09:56 - Mar 1 by Bloots

...is really valid.

We've acted like a lumbering giant of a club, when we plainly were not.

Businesses can't waste time, we've wasted so much over the last 10 years.

New, new era.

I work in local government and even our decision making is quicker that at ITFC in recent times.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:07 - Mar 1 with 1320 viewsMookamoo

The main difference will be they won't tolerate the apathy and the indifference of the past 13 years. It's going to be a rollercoaster.
The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:10 - Mar 1 with 1297 viewsSteve_M

I think that's quite likely. This lot will want to make a return and they won't do that by ITFC meandering around League 1 and the lower reaches of the Championship for the next five years. They certainly seem to have better ideas of how to achieve that than by playing golf with people who knew how the game worked in the 80s.

If the approach with managers it to be more short-termist then it will be essential that there is a footballing structure that doesn't see the wholesale change of players every time that the manager changes. Swansea are the best example of how managerial change has fitted within a structure over recent years.

Like you I have no idea whether it will work but without change the most likely scenario for ITFC was a long-term existence somewhere between mid-table in the Championship and the top ten in League 1. And that's the best case scenario under an increasingly disengaged Evans.

The small, family club most of us grew up supporting disappeared somewhere between going into administration in 2003 and the Evans take-over in 2007. It's not coming back short of starting a phoenix club somewhere a lot further down the league ladder.

All of that said, there is no reason why the new owners should not be building on the links to the community that LON has been re-establishing in recent years. In fact there are plenty of self-interested reasons to support them doing so.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 10:19]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Yep and that's where we've been.... on 10:11 - Mar 1 with 1287 viewsBloots

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:07 - Mar 1 by Mookamoo

The main difference will be they won't tolerate the apathy and the indifference of the past 13 years. It's going to be a rollercoaster.

....for the last 10 years.

Watching the club crumble and go stale, knowing that Evans was going to do nothing about it.

The acceptance from everyone that "it is what it is".

That will be gone, but some feathers will be ruffled that's for sure.

Maybe, but we have to remember that.... on 10:13 - Mar 1 with 1258 viewsGuthrum

Maybe, but we have to remember that.... on 10:03 - Mar 1 by m14_blue

Absolutely.

The worry is what happens if the team doesn’t succeed though.

I expect that situation would not be left to stew for so long as it sometimes has here recently. Part of the restructuring will doubtless be aimed at recruitment and more businesslike assessment of performance.

A more hands-on executive presence at Portman Road will keep a tighter rein on things then the Owner having to rely on reports from the Manager himself.

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:28 - Mar 1 with 1148 viewsSouperJim

I think most of us are cautiously optimistic at the moment, but if COVID has taught me anything, it's that life is too short to worry overly much about BCWYWF.

As others have said, like it or not, football has moved on from the kind of model we identify with as "little old Ipswich". Of course I don't want to see the club I love go down the pan on a reckless roll of the dice, but I'd also like to enjoy watching a team with a chance of some measure of success again before I'm in the ground myself. What's the point of preserving the club for future generations, if it's a miserable crumbling ruin of a bygone era?

62, 78, 81 and 2000 can never be taken away from us. I'd rather take a shot at adding to the list than just bimble off into obscurity. I want another night like Magic's hattrick against Bolton. I want to see my team at Wembley again. I want to watch us square off against the budgies, kicking and screaming that we're still here, we will not go quietly into the night, we can still beat you and then rub your faces in it. It's that passion and emotion that turned me into a Town fan in the first place. Without that, what's the point?
[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 10:28]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:29 - Mar 1 with 1128 viewsdavblue

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:01 - Mar 1 by Bluefish

I have no issue with that if some of it is reinvested when a player leaves rather than just covering losses and trying to scramble on.
The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:34 - Mar 1 with 1086 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, I think that's a fair summary of where we're going.

I don't know what their capacity for raising additional finance will be to cover any operating losses. That'd could be a bit of a concern. They've got to make it work financially and on the field. That extra pressure needn't be a bad thing though. If anything maybe the safety net with Evans led to a bit of complacency?

The first year or two could be interesting as things change and settle down. It won't be a long term model, but it could take a couple of years before things start going in the right direction. Whether we go up or not this year will have a massive impact on that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Maybe, but we have to remember that.... on 10:45 - Mar 1 with 1026 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maybe, but we have to remember that.... on 10:01 - Mar 1 by Bloots

The stuff online around Phoenix Rising and the community connections/sense of pride and belonging is pretty encouraging. We will have to all drink Bud and line dance through the turnstiles though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Amen brother. (n/t) on 10:50 - Mar 1 with 981 viewsBloots

The "New, new era" is going to be different..... on 10:28 - Mar 1 by SouperJim

I think most of us are cautiously optimistic at the moment, but if COVID has taught me anything, it's that life is too short to worry overly much about BCWYWF.

As others have said, like it or not, football has moved on from the kind of model we identify with as "little old Ipswich". Of course I don't want to see the club I love go down the pan on a reckless roll of the dice, but I'd also like to enjoy watching a team with a chance of some measure of success again before I'm in the ground myself. What's the point of preserving the club for future generations, if it's a miserable crumbling ruin of a bygone era?

62, 78, 81 and 2000 can never be taken away from us. I'd rather take a shot at adding to the list than just bimble off into obscurity. I want another night like Magic's hattrick against Bolton. I want to see my team at Wembley again. I want to watch us square off against the budgies, kicking and screaming that we're still here, we will not go quietly into the night, we can still beat you and then rub your faces in it. It's that passion and emotion that turned me into a Town fan in the first place. Without that, what's the point?
[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 10:28]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024