Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In better news.. 06:56 - Apr 3 with 3331 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The ‘race for 6th’ has opened up now. Lincoln and Doncaster have totally free falled. It’s no longer just 6th available. All of 4th, 5th and 6th playoff places are still up for grabs. Gives us a couple of other teams to hunt down.

Looks to be any of 8 or 9 teams going for the last 3 places.

With a lot of this steaks having to play each other yet, and us having easy enough fixtures in comparison, I think we should stop fancy a playoff spot if Cook can grind out the results.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2021 6:57]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

In better news.. on 07:32 - Apr 3 with 2642 viewsblueprint

We had an “easy” game yesterday and only just scraped through. Even if we sneak into the playoffs
I just don’t see us having enough bite and character to see us going all the way.
In better news.. on 08:18 - Apr 3 with 2529 viewsChrisd

In better news.. on 07:32 - Apr 3 by blueprint

We had an “easy” game yesterday and only just scraped through. Even if we sneak into the playoffs
I just don’t see us having enough bite and character to see us going all the way.

Exactly. We aren’t playing like a Top 6 side, in fact we look a long way short of it and have done for most of the season. Grinding results out is fine, but that will only get you so far.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

In better news.. on 08:27 - Apr 3 with 2488 viewsgtsb1966

Or we get into the top six and Marcus decides not to sell. I know what I would prefer.
In better news.. on 08:38 - Apr 3 with 2443 viewsjayessess

We've made it a tough ask for ourselves. 6 wins from 9 required. Difficult, regardless of the opposition, even if you're playing well, which we aren't.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

In better news.. on 08:41 - Apr 3 with 2426 viewsWD19

The more I look at it the more difficult it seems. Looking at the fixtures I reckon we have to get above Lincoln to make it, which means that we are currently (effectively) 5 points off a place.

We are going to need a real run, and that is going to be difficult if we can’t score goals.
In better news.. on 08:43 - Apr 3 with 2415 viewsYallop

You're right we'd likely lose but by then we will hopefully be back in the stadium. If we can sneak into 6th and have a crack at the playoffs that'd be fantastic.

COYB
In better news.. on 08:47 - Apr 3 with 2400 viewsDennyx4

Still tough, looks like the form teams are Portsmouth, Blackpool & Charlton.

Looks like we may need close to 20 points from the last 9 games.
In better news.. on 08:51 - Apr 3 with 2371 viewsGuthrum

Playoffs are something of a lottery. Teams can arrive late at the back post with momentum (metaphorically speaking). Others can fold under the pressure (think Boro in the 2015 final).

That's not to say I think we're really likely to win them, but the experience will be useful and, well, you never know.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

In better news.. on 08:56 - Apr 3 with 2343 viewsWD19

In better news.. on 08:47 - Apr 3 by Dennyx4

Yep, I made it a minimum of 20. Maybe 22.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2021 8:57]
In better news.. on 08:58 - Apr 3 with 2331 viewsChrisd

In better news.. on 08:51 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Playoffs are something of a lottery. Teams can arrive late at the back post with momentum (metaphorically speaking). Others can fold under the pressure (think Boro in the 2015 final).

That's not to say I think we're really likely to win them, but the experience will be useful and, well, you never know.

I know what you’re saying Guthrum, but that’s for sides winning consistently, scoring freely, playing with confidence and playing well. We aren’t doing any of this things. We’ve amassed 8 points from the last 7 or 8 games, that’s bang average form. Your logic very much applies to sides like Portsmouth, Blackpool, Charlton and even Gillingham currently, not us.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2021 9:03]

In better news.. on 09:09 - Apr 3 with 2274 viewstractorboy1978

You say that but Blackpool have 5/10 games against the top 12 (including 2 against Sunderland). Pompey's good run is 3 wins (2 of them narrow wins against teams in the bottom 8).

I think there is still a lot of back and forth and shock results yet. I think we will make the top 6 but at the moment it's hard to see us beating a decent side if we do get there.
In better news.. on 09:09 - Apr 3 with 2273 viewsArnieM

We simply don’t have the mental strength or self belief to compete for a PO place. If we flukes it in this terrible division, we’d not “be up for it “ against the likes of Sunderland, Pompey, Posh, Blackpool or Charlton, any of which we could conceivably face. It isn’t going to happen, this squad just isn’t good enough.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

In better news.. on 09:09 - Apr 3 with 2270 viewsHerbivore

Although if we find sufficient form to make the top 6 then things might look quite different come the play off semi finals. At the moment we look way off being able to seriously challenge and yet here we are just 4 points off 4th place. People need to realise this league is toss, even the 'good' sides are quite crap. I caught the second half of the Donny v Charlton match yesterday and it wasn't markedly better than the dross we served up. We don't need to be world beaters to get out of this league. If we can get a few results and a bit of confidence and get the likes of Downes back fit then who knows. If feels like it's miles off and like it should be impossible for us to go up given how poor we've been, but it really isn't.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

In better news.. on 09:10 - Apr 3 with 2266 viewsArnieM

In better news.. on 08:38 - Apr 3 by jayessess

We've made it a tough ask for ourselves. 6 wins from 9 required. Difficult, regardless of the opposition, even if you're playing well, which we aren't.

Lol for once I agree with you.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

In better news.. on 09:13 - Apr 3 with 2249 viewsHerbivore

In better news.. on 08:56 - Apr 3 by WD19

Yep, I made it a minimum of 20. Maybe 22.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2021 8:57]

78-80 points for 6th place would be very high. Not completely unheard of but a fair bit above average. Quite a few of the top sides still have to play each other and will be taking points off each other as a result. If we can win at Rochdale on Monday and look slightly less horrible doing it then it will look a lot more achievable.

In better news.. on 09:16 - Apr 3 with 2243 viewsWallingford_Boy

Well, two places.

As predicted,the Cowleys have sorted Portsmouth and they look nailed on.

Adkins is likewise doing a great job with Charlton, so maybe still just 6th.

RIP Sir Bobby

In better news.. on 09:16 - Apr 3 with 2241 viewstractorboy1978

In better news.. on 08:58 - Apr 3 by Chrisd

I know what you’re saying Guthrum, but that’s for sides winning consistently, scoring freely, playing with confidence and playing well. We aren’t doing any of this things. We’ve amassed 8 points from the last 7 or 8 games, that’s bang average form. Your logic very much applies to sides like Portsmouth, Blackpool, Charlton and even Gillingham currently, not us.

It's easy to build up other teams but the reality is none of them from 4th down are particularly good. Portsmouth have 10 points from their last 8 games. They narrowly beat Rochdale yesterday having only two shots on target.
In better news.. on 09:17 - Apr 3 with 2228 viewsHerbivore

In better news.. on 08:58 - Apr 3 by Chrisd

If we make the play offs we will have been in that kind of form over our last 9 games though, that's the point.

In better news.. on 09:23 - Apr 3 with 2209 viewsChrisd

In better news.. on 09:16 - Apr 3 by tractorboy1978

It's easy to build up other teams but the reality is none of them from 4th down are particularly good. Portsmouth have 10 points from their last 8 games. They narrowly beat Rochdale yesterday having only two shots on target.

I agree from 4th down those places are up for grabs, but the 4 teams I mentioned earlier are starting to build momentum, Portsmouth winning their last 3 games. 1 point per game isn’t going to get you where we want to be and over the course of the season we’ve just not been good enough, however much we want to sugarcoat it.

In better news.. on 09:26 - Apr 3 with 2194 viewsChrisd

In better news.. on 09:17 - Apr 3 by Herbivore

If we make the play offs we will have been in that kind of form over our last 9 games though, that's the point.

That’s a ‘BiG’ if, regardless of the run in.

In better news.. on 09:28 - Apr 3 with 2185 viewsGuthrum

Five of Charlton's last seven games (their unbeaten run) were against the teams currently in 17th, 19th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd places in the table. Four of their remaining eight fixtures are against teams in the top six.

In better news.. on 09:29 - Apr 3 with 2174 viewsChrisd

In better news.. on 09:28 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Five of Charlton's last seven games (their unbeaten run) were against the teams currently in 17th, 19th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd places in the table. Four of their remaining eight fixtures are against teams in the top six.

Doesn’t mean they can’t win those either.

In better news.. on 09:29 - Apr 3 with 2172 viewsHerbivore

In better news.. on 09:26 - Apr 3 by Chrisd

That’s a ‘BiG’ if, regardless of the run in.

It is, but let's wait and see. We have Rochdale up next who are rock bottom and really struggling, especially at home. Then we have another home game against midtable MK Dons and we've won both our home games under Cook so far. If we take 6 points from those 2 games then all of a sudden we've won three on the bounce, like Pompey who you seem to rate, and we may well be back in the top 6. With seven left to play. Given how tight it is and how poor the league is it's foolish to completely write us off.

In better news.. on 09:35 - Apr 3 with 2151 viewsGuthrum

In better news.. on 09:29 - Apr 3 by Chrisd

Doesn’t mean they can’t win those either.

They are W2 D1 L5 against the top six so far this season. The win against Blackpool came amid the latter's dreadful early-season run.

In better news.. on 09:35 - Apr 3 with 2150 viewsChrisd

In better news.. on 09:29 - Apr 3 by Herbivore

It is, but let's wait and see. We have Rochdale up next who are rock bottom and really struggling, especially at home. Then we have another home game against midtable MK Dons and we've won both our home games under Cook so far. If we take 6 points from those 2 games then all of a sudden we've won three on the bounce, like Pompey who you seem to rate, and we may well be back in the top 6. With seven left to play. Given how tight it is and how poor the league is it's foolish to completely write us off.

Yes, let’s wait and see. It would be foolish to dismiss MK Dons when they are on a better run of form than us currently, but when you’ve been watching football as long as I have you can see the signs of a team that looks like a promotion chasing one, we just look like we’re going through the motions and need putting out of our misery instead of gaining any momentum.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2021 9:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024