Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. 13:06 - Apr 7 with 7346 viewsOld_Git

I’m utterly opposed to this soulless, money-based, takeover by a raft and range of investors and other executives with a minor interest in ‘sports’ and ‘soccer’ and absolutely zero interest in, or respect for, ITFC.

What a contrast with the modest, local Marcus Evans.

90% of the GC20 equity comes from a pension fund that will be looking for instant income and, ultimately, a capital gain and it is possible that, at the top of the agenda of GC20 is an Exit Strategy.

From the pension fund’s point of view, it is important to have the odd Gamble Investment within a portfolio and, boy, they’ve picked a doozy...as Americans might say.

We’ve seen the strategy that they have introduced elsewhere and upon which they have explicitly based their hopes, viz trading players, at the same time as reaching the Prem with months. They think they’ll make a few millions On The Side, by selling AndrÄ— and Flynn, whilst romping up the leagues.

I imagine that they have a Three Year Plan and that they will definitely hold a ‘fire sale’, after five years, if they have not achieved all of their objectives.

Marcus Evans is one of Britain’s most successful entrepreneurs, it is absurd to suggest that he has proven himself to be an incompetent football club owner. He has merely been unlucky.

He has also been a great sportsman, who continued writing out cheques for what turned out to be a doomed project, even when the losses roared past £100m. Without complaint. Despite brain-dead fans remorselessly screaming abuse at him, for ‘failing’ to “invest”...or, as one might also call it, throw away a king’s ransom of over £100m.

I would’ve bailed out long, long ago.

I regard Mr Evans in the same light as the Cobbolds. I can offer him no greater compliment. I certainly offer him my thanks…

… And I look forward to hearing how much money I am going to make, on my shares ! I “invested”...

I am padding quickly towards certain death.

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 13:48 - Apr 7 with 1915 viewsGuthrum

I agree with a lot of your sentiments about Evans.

However, I'm not sure it's fair to deride the new owners as 'investors and other executives with a minor interest in ‘sports’ and ‘soccer''. O'Leary and some of his bunch have reasonably long-standing involvement in English football - West Brom (of which he was Chief Exec) and Oxford, specifically - with the possibility of a CE being brought in from Bristol City. Not an unreasonable pedigree.

I think you're right in that that this is not an open-ended investment. But hopefully they will have the nous to plot a sensible path to promotion, then promotion again (their best hope of a return). As per Swansea over the last several years.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:00 - Apr 7 with 1872 viewsDarth_Koont

3/10

You went in hard but signaled the inherent contradiction by the second para.

League One trolling.

Pronouns: He/Him

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:08 - Apr 7 with 1841 viewsnodge_blue

Thats pretty much what I wrote on here a few weeks back.

I think though that Marcus has failed to implement a football structure at the club. The whole Hirst thing was a fiasco that the owner shouldn't have allowed. He came in too late in the summer. And gobbled up random lower league players at a rate that Evans questioned but let allow happen. This lack of football acumen was symptomatic of a poor football owner. But I don't doubt his integrity and also think he was unlucky. He doesn't deserve to be vilified.

At least we will have a period of a fresh start. But I fear that if success doesn't come quickly that it won't end well.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:13 - Apr 7 with 1813 viewsMattinLondon

Just imagine if Leicester City and Man City held that view before being taken over.

I’m not for one minute suggesting that this takeover will be anything as successful- I’ll be happy with being back in the PL and playing good football. But the club has been that driver who can’t do hill starts, rolls back and then is too scared to take the handbrake off.

The club has to take this gamble, absolutely has to or it’ll be L2.
As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:14 - Apr 7 with 1807 viewsGeoffSentence

That they want a return on their investment is a good thing in my eyes as the only way they will get is if they bring some measure of success to the club.

There is no doubt that ME is a decent and modest man, and I only wish he had success here because as a character I think he is the right fit for this club. However he doesn't have the wherewithal either in knowledge or finance to bring us success.

If Gamechanger do fancy making a few millions on the side by selling Andre and Flynn, they can fill their boots as far as I am concerned. A couple of years ago, even last year, the prospect of selling off our developing youngsters would have been very displeasing to me, but they haven't developed as much as I'd hoped, they haven't done much to show they are worth keeping, in fact there is not one player at the club who it would bother me to get rid of right now.

So I appreciate your sentiment and understand where you are coming from, but I disagree with you. Right now this is the best thing for the club.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:17 - Apr 7 with 1792 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't believe people are downvoting this or responding to the post.

Irrelevant self-important attention seeking at its finest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:18 - Apr 7 with 1791 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Should this not have been titled, "The view from the Roy Keane memorial bourses"?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:22 - Apr 7 with 1781 viewsTieDyedIn95

I'd say Evans roughly £7million a year since buying the club wasn't as significant a contribution as you have made it out to be... "continued writing cheques" to who? Most of the debt was paperwork.

As for comparing Evans to the Cobbolds, that's like comparing Keir Starmer to Clement Atlee.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Login to get fewer ads

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:23 - Apr 7 with 1768 viewsGeoffSentence

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:17 - Apr 7 by J2BLUE

Attention seeking? OG has not posted anything since the end of November, it is a stretch to call that sort of output as 'attention seeking'.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:23 - Apr 7 with 1767 viewsMattinLondon

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:17 - Apr 7 by J2BLUE

I’ve nothing better to do. I’m watching ‘Frozen’ for the hundredth time with my four year old.
As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:26 - Apr 7 with 1752 viewsDarth_Koont

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:23 - Apr 7 by MattinLondon

I’ve nothing better to do. I’m watching ‘Frozen’ for the hundredth time with my four year old.

Let it go.

Pronouns: He/Him

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:28 - Apr 7 with 1738 viewsDarkHorse

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:33 - Apr 7 with 1711 viewsistanblue

Obvious troll is obvious.
As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:36 - Apr 7 with 1693 viewsTieDyedIn95

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:23 - Apr 7 by GeoffSentence

Attention seeking? OG has not posted anything since the end of November, it is a stretch to call that sort of output as 'attention seeking'.

I think being proud you voted for Evans is mad enough but to compare the bloke to the Cobbolds ... if that's not trolling....... it's insanity. Absolute insanity.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:38 - Apr 7 with 1682 viewsJ2BLUE

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:23 - Apr 7 by GeoffSentence

Something big happens and he's back to make it about him.

I'll say no more as he's TWTD's biggest blind spot and i'm upsetting someone...

Truly impaired.

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:39 - Apr 7 with 1668 viewsRyorry

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:38 - Apr 7 by J2BLUE

Something big happens and he's back to make it about him.

I'll say no more as he's TWTD's biggest blind spot and i'm upsetting someone...

He's certainly not "TWTD's biggest blind spot".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:40 - Apr 7 with 1654 viewsJ2BLUE

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:39 - Apr 7 by Ryorry

He's certainly not "TWTD's biggest blind spot".

Thanks for correcting me.

Truly impaired.

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:40 - Apr 7 with 1652 viewsghostofescobar

Can only assume this is a joke post? To compare Evans to the Cobbold's is pretty offensive. Virtually every point in there can be picked apart

GhostOfEscobar

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:48 - Apr 7 with 1615 viewsblueislander

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 14:40 - Apr 7 by ghostofescobar

Can only assume this is a joke post? To compare Evans to the Cobbold's is pretty offensive. Virtually every point in there can be picked apart

They are comparable in their very scant knowledge of football.
As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:10 - Apr 7 with 1598 viewsBlueBadger

Evans' reason for buying the club was purely and solely a 'soulless, money based operation....with a minor interest in "sports"'
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 15:23]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:33 - Apr 7 with 1567 viewsOld_Git

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 13:30 - Apr 7 by Daleyitfc

Whereas I was one of 3(??) shareholders that voted against the Evans Group taking over : but would happily vote in favour of this as being less worse than the current position , except ... no vote is required.

How interesting. I actually thought that dear old Bryan Knights was the only No voter when the ME takeover was proposed and I respected Bryan's view, of course. I remember he spoke to the motion, at the EGM.

Yes, a vote from we existing shareholders was actually required, when ME bought in but I expect that GC20 will wish to demonstrate some respect towards we 3,000 shareholders by inviting us to some sort of meeting, perhaps with a token, 'indicative' vote.

I shall 'respectfully' vote No, the New Plan doesn't hold water, in my view; where is the provision for Luck, and any recognition of Bad Luck suffered by Evans, in the press releases ?

Each season, 88 English clubs Fail to win their division; is that Failure ? Does it Prove that the manager or owner is a fool ? 'Hasn't gotta clue !" "He's ruined our club ! Evans is a bum." What tosh, he's made reasonable decisions and invested his time and world-class business acumen in our little entity. It hasn't worked out. Nor has my life, in its final phase, but I gave it a crack, early on and had some fun and success, just as Evans has, in other parts of his life, using the same brain.

But of course it is very interesting, to see in a new era and presumably they will splash some cash, at least initially, as I remember poor Evans was forced to do by the profligate Royston (who splurged nearly £100m at Sunderland so Marcus perhaps got off lightly.)

As when Evans took over, the specific quantities of cash changing hands will never be known definitively but, one way or another, GC20 will Spend but from a quite different standpoint to that of ME: every penny 'invested' now will be tracked and filtered thru accountants and committees whereas Evans probably only had his wife to nag him about wasting money...

Within the world of pension funds, Investment is made on the expectation of Return tho I have already conceded that a professional fund portfolio will include some mad punts which is surely how the purchase of ITFC will be categorised. "It's a long shot outta left field," or whatever Financial Americaners say.

The TWTD consensus is that Only 'investing' a million pounds a month over a decade is cheapskatery of the most foul and contemptible cheapness. "If you dare to buy MY football club, in which I have personally invested nowt, you must promise to lose hundreds of millions of pounds or you will deserve a birching on the centre-spot." In the GeeWhizz20 boardroom, have the words HUNDREDS of millions been heard ? Doubt it.

I'm surprised that I have lived long enough to "see in" anything, my health has been poor ever since...well, I have amnesia so I can't remember how long I have been poorly. And, yes, sadly, I'm too old to be suffering Early Onset Dementia...

COYB, I of course have my fingers crossed and hope that we at least enjoy a New Owner Honeymoon (better than Cookie's) and sufficient to lift us back into Division Two, perhaps even this season.

By sheer coincidental chance, I spoke face-to-face with Lord Norwood last night, unlikely as it sounds, and we made reference to the takeover but I specifically told him that I would not reveal details of our chat

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:39 - Apr 7 with 1539 viewsfloridaboy

You are entitled to your opinion which I respect.

BUT dont ever lump ME in with the Cobbolds. That is a downright insult to them both!

ME is not fit to clean the shoes they wore or drink in the same room as them!!
As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:44 - Apr 7 with 1527 viewsOld_Git

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:39 - Apr 7 by floridaboy

You are entitled to your opinion which I respect.

BUT dont ever lump ME in with the Cobbolds. That is a downright insult to them both!

ME is not fit to clean the shoes they wore or drink in the same room as them!!

Tho, the Cobbolds were Gentlemen and would be appalled to hear such rudeness directed towards ME.

I respect the fact that you disagree with me. But perhaps you have spoiled your case by over-egging it ?

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:54 - Apr 7 with 1506 viewsRyorry

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:33 - Apr 7 by Old_Git

How interesting. I actually thought that dear old Bryan Knights was the only No voter when the ME takeover was proposed and I respected Bryan's view, of course. I remember he spoke to the motion, at the EGM.

Yes, a vote from we existing shareholders was actually required, when ME bought in but I expect that GC20 will wish to demonstrate some respect towards we 3,000 shareholders by inviting us to some sort of meeting, perhaps with a token, 'indicative' vote.

I shall 'respectfully' vote No, the New Plan doesn't hold water, in my view; where is the provision for Luck, and any recognition of Bad Luck suffered by Evans, in the press releases ?

Each season, 88 English clubs Fail to win their division; is that Failure ? Does it Prove that the manager or owner is a fool ? 'Hasn't gotta clue !" "He's ruined our club ! Evans is a bum." What tosh, he's made reasonable decisions and invested his time and world-class business acumen in our little entity. It hasn't worked out. Nor has my life, in its final phase, but I gave it a crack, early on and had some fun and success, just as Evans has, in other parts of his life, using the same brain.

But of course it is very interesting, to see in a new era and presumably they will splash some cash, at least initially, as I remember poor Evans was forced to do by the profligate Royston (who splurged nearly £100m at Sunderland so Marcus perhaps got off lightly.)

As when Evans took over, the specific quantities of cash changing hands will never be known definitively but, one way or another, GC20 will Spend but from a quite different standpoint to that of ME: every penny 'invested' now will be tracked and filtered thru accountants and committees whereas Evans probably only had his wife to nag him about wasting money...

Within the world of pension funds, Investment is made on the expectation of Return tho I have already conceded that a professional fund portfolio will include some mad punts which is surely how the purchase of ITFC will be categorised. "It's a long shot outta left field," or whatever Financial Americaners say.

The TWTD consensus is that Only 'investing' a million pounds a month over a decade is cheapskatery of the most foul and contemptible cheapness. "If you dare to buy MY football club, in which I have personally invested nowt, you must promise to lose hundreds of millions of pounds or you will deserve a birching on the centre-spot." In the GeeWhizz20 boardroom, have the words HUNDREDS of millions been heard ? Doubt it.

I'm surprised that I have lived long enough to "see in" anything, my health has been poor ever since...well, I have amnesia so I can't remember how long I have been poorly. And, yes, sadly, I'm too old to be suffering Early Onset Dementia...

COYB, I of course have my fingers crossed and hope that we at least enjoy a New Owner Honeymoon (better than Cookie's) and sufficient to lift us back into Division Two, perhaps even this season.

By sheer coincidental chance, I spoke face-to-face with Lord Norwood last night, unlikely as it sounds, and we made reference to the takeover but I specifically told him that I would not reveal details of our chat

"he's made reasonable decisions and invested his time and world-class business acumen in our little entity"

"Reasonable" decisions? "World-class business acumen"? Seriously?!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 16:19 - Apr 7 with 1455 viewsOld_Git

As a shareholder, I voted FOR Marcus Evans and will vote AGAINST GC20. on 15:54 - Apr 7 by Ryorry

"he's made reasonable decisions and invested his time and world-class business acumen in our little entity"

"Reasonable" decisions? "World-class business acumen"? Seriously?!!

Is he not a world-class businessman ? Has he not applied that same brain to ITFC ? Yes, that's the answer I'm suggesting, to both questions...

...and it sadly and frustratingly hasn't worked out...just as 88 English league clubs Fail each year to win their divisional title.

I think that Evans has - plain and simple - been a scapegoat for a primarily unlucky decline.

You doubt whether he has made Reasonable decisions ? That's pretty extreme, isn't it ? Do you have a list of Unreasonable decisions that he has made ?

I'm afraid that the echo chamber that is TWTD repeatedly becomes a suffocating socialist dictatoriat, in which any view other than that of the Consensus is regarded as Lunatic.

Time and time again, a new manager is welcomed as the messiah but is turned within months into a pariah, his supposedly staggeringly wonderful characteristics reversed into gaping flaws for which he should be flayed.

If Cookie's disastrous first few matches is a clue, he will be reviled before the end of the season, perhaps for Chopping & Changing..."He STILL doesn't know his best eleven!"

How long before The American Bean Counters That Know Nowt About Football are despised ? Christmas ?

I hope that we excel under their leadership tho I don't expect them to have actually written out 'checks' (as they call them) for more than a few pence and I don't expect them to EVER waste £100m as poor Evans has done.

I bet a Top Worst Case Figure of $50m has been mentioned, after which they will sling the club into Receivership.

And, yes, I'm still watching every kick of every ball, on iFollow...tho the laborious Instant Replays cause one to miss some kicks !

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024