Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think we can safely assume... 14:12 - Apr 7 with 9788 viewsFixed_It

...that the players have not been in the loop re the takeover. Indeed, other than Evans himself, and a very few close confidantes (including Paul Cook), I doubt many at the club knew much about it.
The denial statement from Evans a few weeks ago was probably designed to put people off the scent - it is likely that too much speculation could have put the deal in jeopardy - he had to say something along those lines due to a non disclosure clause.
The fact that Phil's sources seemed to think that things had stalled, or were off, also indicates that very few people apart from Evans' inner circle knew what was happening.
Thanks go to Muncher and greyhound for giving us snippets to keep our hopes alive.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 14:12]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I think we can safely assume... on 14:58 - Apr 7 with 3240 viewsRozz

I think we can safely assume... on 14:50 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

Well, he didn't, that's all I can say. Marcus keot his cards very close to his chest. PC was alluding to the plans he had with ME. He genuinely liked Marcus and was keen to work with him.

Do you think there's been discussions with Cook of plans / changes to infrastructure that are true, just without the specifics of who would implement them? ME is still involved as an investor, and I wonder if in sounding out GC20 on their plans for the club, he would also have the capacity to talk to PC quite openly about plans for the future without necessarily disclosing the deal.

I'd be amazed if the deal changed all that much, it just seemed like ME saw a little upturn in results and wanted to ride it out. If we got promoted by some miracle, all would be forgiven. If he relinquished his majority stake in a club that got promoted in a matter of a dozen games, he'd look a muppet.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 15:01]
I think we can safely assume... on 14:59 - Apr 7 with 3238 viewsZXBlue

I think we can safely assume... on 14:53 - Apr 7 by MrTown

Of course he knew, as did the players.

Not the key details maybe you'd imagine, but they knew.

That makes no sense. The players cant keep a teamsheet quiet. To think they would keep this quiet is a massive stretch.
I think we can safely assume... on 15:01 - Apr 7 with 3212 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think we can safely assume... on 14:31 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

Players didn't know, Paul Cook didn't know until this morning, I'm told.

Yeah, but your sources Phil?
I mean, come on.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:09 - Apr 7 with 3165 viewsjayessess

Well, he didn't, that's all I can say. Marcus keot his cards very close to his chest. PC was alluding to the plans he had with ME. He genuinely liked Marcus and was keen to work with him.

Given that Cook turned down other jobs, you'd think it'd be at least a vague courtesy on Evans' part to mention "btw, Paul, I might be selling the club in a month".

I will not miss Mysterious Marcus' bizarrely opaque approach to communications.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I think we can safely assume... on 15:11 - Apr 7 with 3164 viewsPhilTWTD

I think we can safely assume... on 15:09 - Apr 7 by jayessess

Given that Cook turned down other jobs, you'd think it'd be at least a vague courtesy on Evans' part to mention "btw, Paul, I might be selling the club in a month".

I will not miss Mysterious Marcus' bizarrely opaque approach to communications.

He turned down other jobs as either there were contracts only to the end of the season or he felt managers weren't allowed to manage, meaning there were sporting directors there. He liked the situation here as the owner allowed the manager to run the football side of things.
I think we can safely assume... on 15:17 - Apr 7 with 3097 viewsjayessess

I think we can safely assume... on 15:11 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

He turned down other jobs as either there were contracts only to the end of the season or he felt managers weren't allowed to manage, meaning there were sporting directors there. He liked the situation here as the owner allowed the manager to run the football side of things.

Guess he'll have to cross his fingers and hope that sort of structural change isn't what the new owners have in mind!

I think we can safely assume... on 15:19 - Apr 7 with 3083 viewsgordon

I think we can safely assume... on 15:11 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

Crikey - could be interesting to see what happens over the next few months then!
I think we can safely assume... on 15:20 - Apr 7 with 3069 viewsGuthrum

I think we can safely assume... on 14:40 - Apr 7 by Mullet

You'd think O'Leary will also vouch for Cook in that regard, it'd be very unlucky for him if they had a really big manager willing to take a big contract to manage a league or so down (Bielsa being a recent standout example) with a view to a project.

It also seems ME has squeezed out an even bigger cut in the latest development which tallies with what we've heard.

Hmm. Not sure how much I'd want a big manager dropping down. Would he have the skillset to succeed in League One?

Tho it might attract higher-level players who personally want to work with him.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

I think we can safely assume... on 15:21 - Apr 7 with 3060 viewsCoco

I think we can safely assume... on 14:42 - Apr 7 by Smithy

sorry but that just doesn't add up to me. Part of the interview that Cook gave when he first joined (may have even got deleted or edited) alluded to something happening in the summer (OK its happened sooner) and also the message he gave to Blue Action indicated something was on the cards. The way he spoke of what will happen in the summer will get Ipswich fans very excited also seems an odd thing to say if Evans was still going to be here. Truly believe he wouldn't even be here if he could see little or no change at the club, and with Evans still here, there really wouldn't have been much change at the club, in order to progress this had to happen and I don't think Cook is as blinkered to not see that.

Exactly. He knew everything but just can't admit to that.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:21 - Apr 7 with 3060 viewsgordon

I think we can safely assume... on 14:53 - Apr 7 by MrTown

Of course he knew, as did the players.

Not the key details maybe you'd imagine, but they knew.

There's no way the players would've been formally given any information about this (other than being aware of the same speculation everyone else was aware of).
I think we can safely assume... on 15:23 - Apr 7 with 3035 viewsgordon

I think we can safely assume... on 15:20 - Apr 7 by Guthrum

Hmm. Not sure how much I'd want a big manager dropping down. Would he have the skillset to succeed in League One?

Tho it might attract higher-level players who personally want to work with him.

Roy Keane still available!
I think we can safely assume... on 15:23 - Apr 7 with 3029 viewsMrTown

I think we can safely assume... on 14:59 - Apr 7 by ZXBlue

That makes no sense. The players cant keep a teamsheet quiet. To think they would keep this quiet is a massive stretch.

But this hasn't been kept quiet, 'rumours' have been circulating on this for a little while now.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:24 - Apr 7 with 3024 viewsParky

Not to piss on anyone’s parade, but from what you’re saying, there’s a chance Cook might not like what the new owners have planned and the way they work?

Cook spoke specifically about working for the right owner who gives managers time, I bloody hope after all of this, it works out.
I think we can safely assume... on 15:24 - Apr 7 with 3016 viewsMrTown

I think we can safely assume... on 15:21 - Apr 7 by gordon

There's no way the players would've been formally given any information about this (other than being aware of the same speculation everyone else was aware of).

You wouldn't have thought they'd know any specifics, but to think they only found out when it was posted on social media would be naïve.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:27 - Apr 7 with 2984 viewsCoco

I think we can safely assume... on 15:24 - Apr 7 by Parky

Not to piss on anyone’s parade, but from what you’re saying, there’s a chance Cook might not like what the new owners have planned and the way they work?

Cook spoke specifically about working for the right owner who gives managers time, I bloody hope after all of this, it works out.

EVERYTHING Cook has said about 'exciting summer' etc indicates he knew exactly what was happening and was most likely the agreed choice of the new owners. The deal has been going on for over a year so they would no doubt have been involved in his appointment.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:28 - Apr 7 with 2982 viewsPhilTWTD

I think we can safely assume... on 14:58 - Apr 7 by Rozz

Do you think there's been discussions with Cook of plans / changes to infrastructure that are true, just without the specifics of who would implement them? ME is still involved as an investor, and I wonder if in sounding out GC20 on their plans for the club, he would also have the capacity to talk to PC quite openly about plans for the future without necessarily disclosing the deal.

I'd be amazed if the deal changed all that much, it just seemed like ME saw a little upturn in results and wanted to ride it out. If we got promoted by some miracle, all would be forgiven. If he relinquished his majority stake in a club that got promoted in a matter of a dozen games, he'd look a muppet.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 15:01]

Difficult to say whether the new owners will have the same plans as ME going forward, so I doubt that.

I think ME only made the final decision relatively recently, probably because I think he saw how far off Town currently are. But I agree, I think there was probably some element of a boost when PC took over and things were looking more promising, which was probably why the deal stalled for a bit.
I think we can safely assume... on 15:29 - Apr 7 with 2982 viewsitfcjoe

I think we can safely assume... on 15:23 - Apr 7 by MrTown

But this hasn't been kept quiet, 'rumours' have been circulating on this for a little while now.

I've spoken to a player today, they literally found out from the clubs Instagram post - they weren't even given a heads up.

They were no more aware of it than the fans were

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:31 - Apr 7 with 2951 viewsCoco

I think we can safely assume... on 15:28 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

Difficult to say whether the new owners will have the same plans as ME going forward, so I doubt that.

I think ME only made the final decision relatively recently, probably because I think he saw how far off Town currently are. But I agree, I think there was probably some element of a boost when PC took over and things were looking more promising, which was probably why the deal stalled for a bit.

that just seems way to basic - win a game, no sell, lose a game, sell. It's a big deal that has been going on for a year. All decisions in that time would have been very carefully considered. I would lay a bet that Cook was the new guys man of choice.

I think we can safely assume... on 15:32 - Apr 7 with 2940 viewsCoco

I think we can safely assume... on 15:29 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

I've spoken to a player today, they literally found out from the clubs Instagram post - they weren't even given a heads up.

Found out about deal done but knew it was going on. If i fecking knew they sure did.

I think we can safely assume... on 15:33 - Apr 7 with 2934 viewslazyblue

I think Paul Cook definitely knew, this has been going on for a over a year and he would have been told that the deal would be going through-even though some may deny it obviously . This takeover deals do not happen last minute .
[Redacted] on 15:37 - Apr 7 with 2898 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
I think we can safely assume... on 15:38 - Apr 7 with 2892 viewsitfcjoe

I think we can safely assume... on 15:32 - Apr 7 by Coco

Found out about deal done but knew it was going on. If i fecking knew they sure did.

Again, they knew as much as the fans - knew something was going on - but no one hand on heart could say it was definitely happening, and what was definitely happening - well connected people like Phil thought it was petering out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:38 - Apr 7 with 2887 viewsgordon

I think we can safely assume... on 15:29 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

That's an awful way to treat the players - why not just call them in for a meeting half an hour before it's officially announced?

I generally think we're way too hard on the playing squad at the moment - just seems like there's been so much wrong in terms of how things are done for years that's been sucking the life and energy out of the club, and none of that has originated with the players.
I think we can safely assume... on 15:38 - Apr 7 with 2879 viewsjayessess

I think we can safely assume... on 15:31 - Apr 7 by Coco

that just seems way to basic - win a game, no sell, lose a game, sell. It's a big deal that has been going on for a year. All decisions in that time would have been very carefully considered. I would lay a bet that Cook was the new guys man of choice.

Would fit with the general level of indecisiveness we've seen at the club for the last decade.

I think we can safely assume... on 15:39 - Apr 7 with 2858 viewsCoco

I think we can safely assume... on 15:38 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

Again, they knew as much as the fans - knew something was going on - but no one hand on heart could say it was definitely happening, and what was definitely happening - well connected people like Phil thought it was petering out

well that's totally understandable isn't it? Why would/should they?

Cook would've know it was likely to happen just not exactly when. His (and Lamberts) interviews back that up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024