Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think we can safely assume... 14:12 - Apr 7 with 9784 viewsFixed_It

...that the players have not been in the loop re the takeover. Indeed, other than Evans himself, and a very few close confidantes (including Paul Cook), I doubt many at the club knew much about it.
The denial statement from Evans a few weeks ago was probably designed to put people off the scent - it is likely that too much speculation could have put the deal in jeopardy - he had to say something along those lines due to a non disclosure clause.
The fact that Phil's sources seemed to think that things had stalled, or were off, also indicates that very few people apart from Evans' inner circle knew what was happening.
Thanks go to Muncher and greyhound for giving us snippets to keep our hopes alive.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 14:12]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:40 - Apr 7 with 2053 viewspennblue

I think we can safely assume... on 14:33 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

Further to that, it seems Marcus has moved towards doing the deal in the last few weeks as it may have become clearer to him just how far off things are here at present.

I would imagine Evans is sick to the teeth of the whole thing. Pretty much every throw of the dice has failed.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

I think we can safely assume... on 15:42 - Apr 7 with 2037 viewsRozz

I think we can safely assume... on 15:28 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

Difficult to say whether the new owners will have the same plans as ME going forward, so I doubt that.

I think ME only made the final decision relatively recently, probably because I think he saw how far off Town currently are. But I agree, I think there was probably some element of a boost when PC took over and things were looking more promising, which was probably why the deal stalled for a bit.

I was more thinking that ME, with a good knowledge of GC20's plans for the club, would probably have only allowed himself to engage in discussions with PC on elements he had a good idea would be adopted by the new ownership. Perhaps that's presuming too much.

Hopefully there's nothing too disruptive in the new plans for PC, and we build the roles around him to suit. It did sound like he was their man too - although how much truth was in this at the time I don't know.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 15:45]
I think we can safely assume... on 15:42 - Apr 7 with 2035 viewsgordon

I think we can safely assume... on 15:38 - Apr 7 by jayessess

Would fit with the general level of indecisiveness we've seen at the club for the last decade.

Yes, no reason to think that the end of Marcus Evans would be any more decisive or logical than the end of any of the managers that he employed during his time here.
I think we can safely assume... on 15:44 - Apr 7 with 2025 viewsWickets

I think we can safely assume... on 14:39 - Apr 7 by MrTown

Of course Cook knew.

Players I suspect did know as well.

For once i tend to agree with you . We all knew it was likely to happen . Was it 100% no but i always thought it was at least likely if not this season before next . Just glad it is done now hopefully the only way is up .
I think we can safely assume... on 15:48 - Apr 7 with 1997 viewsPhilTWTD

I think we can safely assume... on 15:42 - Apr 7 by Rozz

I was more thinking that ME, with a good knowledge of GC20's plans for the club, would probably have only allowed himself to engage in discussions with PC on elements he had a good idea would be adopted by the new ownership. Perhaps that's presuming too much.

Hopefully there's nothing too disruptive in the new plans for PC, and we build the roles around him to suit. It did sound like he was their man too - although how much truth was in this at the time I don't know.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 15:45]

Perhaps, although I don't think ME made his final decision until relatively recently.

The name I heard who was the man they wanted before Cook's appointment was imminently mooted was Michael Appleton so I don't think PC was their choice but I'm sure they would have seen him as a good candidate.Agree, I hope he is allowed to do the job he wants to do.
I think we can safely assume... on 15:50 - Apr 7 with 1979 viewsjayessess

I think we can safely assume... on 15:38 - Apr 7 by gordon

That's an awful way to treat the players - why not just call them in for a meeting half an hour before it's officially announced?

I generally think we're way too hard on the playing squad at the moment - just seems like there's been so much wrong in terms of how things are done for years that's been sucking the life and energy out of the club, and none of that has originated with the players.

Yeah, it's a pretty atrocious (and unprofessional) way to treat people when their livelihood is at stake. There's been a bit of "thank you, Marcus" stuff around today and I've got to say I'm not feeling it at all after 13 years of stuff like this.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I think we can safely assume... on 15:51 - Apr 7 with 1979 viewsgreyhound

If it helps this discussion my source on the matter was no where near a player. I was aware from the start that this was all being kept well away from them, obviously it broke nationally but then went off the boil and it continued to be kept quiet from squad and staff
I think we can safely assume... on 16:23 - Apr 7 with 1878 viewsbobbyramsey

Cook must have known, he would have needed to have been deaf, blind and stupid not to have been aware that something was afoot. He may not have known specifics but he ain't no thicko....
Login to get fewer ads

I think we can safely assume... on 16:32 - Apr 7 with 1851 viewsVic

I think we can safely assume... on 14:31 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

Players didn't know, Paul Cook didn't know until this morning, I'm told.

Cook not in the loop? Sorry Phil, but I’m totally amazed if that is correct. He must have had some idea what was going on, Shirley

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I think we can safely assume... on 16:34 - Apr 7 with 1836 viewsjeera

I think we can safely assume... on 16:23 - Apr 7 by bobbyramsey

Cook must have known, he would have needed to have been deaf, blind and stupid not to have been aware that something was afoot. He may not have known specifics but he ain't no thicko....

But suspecting something isn't the same as being informed is it?

And what Phil says about Evans being in two minds himself doesn't suggest there was much to give away until very recently anyway.

It doesn't really surprise that the owner of a corporation keeps a potential takeover quiet from his staff at all. Those being closest often being the last to know and all that.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 16:34]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I think we can safely assume... on 17:02 - Apr 7 with 1764 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

That's an awful way to treat the players - why not just call them in for a meeting half an hour before it's officially announced?

I generally think we're way too hard on the playing squad at the moment - just seems like there's been so much wrong in terms of how things are done for years that's been sucking the life and energy out of the club, and none of that has originated with the players.

What does it have to do with the players?

Does my boss need to tell me when he is thinking of selling the company I work for? Of course not!
I think we can safely assume... on 17:27 - Apr 7 with 1717 viewsnoubledooble

I think we can safely assume... on 17:02 - Apr 7 by BlueBlueBluex2

Does my boss need to tell me when he is thinking of selling the company I work for? Of course not!

Didn’t Lambert know it was possibly happening I’m sure he commented on it. Also if players didn’t know until announced at 11 how come ex players hinted before that?
I think we can safely assume... on 19:28 - Apr 7 with 1650 viewsjayessess

I think we can safely assume... on 17:02 - Apr 7 by BlueBlueBluex2

Yes, absolutely your boss should keep you informed if he's intending to sell the business you work for and it might affect your future livelihood. Christ, this is a low bar for being a responsible employer.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I think we can safely assume... on 19:35 - Apr 7 with 1639 viewschicoazul

I think we can safely assume... on 14:53 - Apr 7 by MrTown

Of course he knew, as did the players.

Not the key details maybe you'd imagine, but they knew.

You’re wrong. As so often.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I think we can safely assume... on 19:40 - Apr 7 with 1623 viewschicoazul

I think we can safely assume... on 19:28 - Apr 7 by jayessess

Yes, absolutely your boss should keep you informed if he's intending to sell the business you work for and it might affect your future livelihood. Christ, this is a low bar for being a responsible employer.

Maybe at the local barbers or estate agents, but not for a £40m international business deal. The manager is only an employee. And Marcus may have had to enter an NDA before negotiations proper. I’m amazed people are amazed at this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

I think we can safely assume... on 19:43 - Apr 7 with 1615 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

I think we can safely assume... on 20:23 - Apr 7 with 1553 viewsitfcjoe

I think we can safely assume... on 19:40 - Apr 7 by chicoazul

Maybe at the local barbers or estate agents, but not for a £40m international business deal. The manager is only an employee. And Marcus may have had to enter an NDA before negotiations proper. I’m amazed people are amazed at this.

I think there is a difference between keeping them informed about the process, which couldn't and shouldn't happen - and letting them know before the press release on social media

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think we can safely assume... on 20:26 - Apr 7 with 1540 viewsParky

I think we can safely assume... on 20:23 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

I think there is a difference between keeping them informed about the process, which couldn't and shouldn't happen - and letting them know before the press release on social media

But how come our ex players knew (Scowy, Milts etc) but the current squad didn’t?
I think we can safely assume... on 20:38 - Apr 7 with 1514 viewsMullet

I think we can safely assume... on 20:26 - Apr 7 by Parky

But how come our ex players knew (Scowy, Milts etc) but the current squad didn’t?

Given Milts' ex role here it's obvious how he would have known. There is a massive old boys network and the club and Town are small places.

Definitely where some of the information was leaking from given how things have happened and what we've heard.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I think we can safely assume... on 20:39 - Apr 7 with 1504 viewsclive_baker

I think we can safely assume... on 20:26 - Apr 7 by Parky

There’s also a difference between suspecting and ‘knowing’. Of course the whole squad suspected, they can read the Athletic like anyone else. But as Joe says normally an organisation would inform employees of such changes before the press when it’s actually confirmed. It’s just common courtesy really.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I think we can safely assume... on 20:40 - Apr 7 with 1501 viewsParky

I think we can safely assume... on 20:38 - Apr 7 by Mullet

Given Milts' ex role here it's obvious how he would have known. There is a massive old boys network and the club and Town are small places.

Definitely where some of the information was leaking from given how things have happened and what we've heard.

I completely agree with you, just don’t really understand how it can get out to all the ex-pro’s, Cook knew, Greyhound knew, but the first team didn’t, you can understand why I’m slightly sceptical.
I think we can safely assume... on 20:40 - Apr 7 with 1501 viewsjeera

I think we can safely assume... on 20:38 - Apr 7 by Mullet

Well, quite.

There are still those who are far more interested in the club than most of those who are playing for it and see it as little more than a job.

Show up, do your bit, go home.

Which to be honest, is how things have been portrayed quite a lot recently regarding [some of] the playing staff.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I think we can safely assume... on 20:42 - Apr 7 with 1494 viewsMullet

I think we can safely assume... on 20:40 - Apr 7 by Parky

I completely agree with you, just don’t really understand how it can get out to all the ex-pro’s, Cook knew, Greyhound knew, but the first team didn’t, you can understand why I’m slightly sceptical.

There's knowing and guessing. I had people message it was on and off recently in quick succession. In hindsight it's clear to see who was blagging/getting old info late etc. But until it's out you don't know.

This was a multi-million deal so it makes sense there is myth and rumour given the timescale too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I think we can safely assume... on 20:45 - Apr 7 with 1478 viewschicoazul

I think we can safely assume... on 20:23 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

I don’t think it matters at all, and unless you got them in a room together today and told them - which they may not have been able to do - then the only other way would be WhatsApp or whatever which is more or less the same thing.

I think we can safely assume... on 20:48 - Apr 7 with 1469 viewschicoazul

I think we can safely assume... on 20:42 - Apr 7 by Mullet

There's knowing and guessing. I had people message it was on and off recently in quick succession. In hindsight it's clear to see who was blagging/getting old info late etc. But until it's out you don't know.

This was a multi-million deal so it makes sense there is myth and rumour given the timescale too.

Exactly. Scowie didn’t “know”. He just read the smoke signals correctly. Greyhound is clearly close to someone very much ITK and I had a strong indication from a mate in the City that it was on but that’s not the same as knowing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024